Author Topic: Favourite Aircraft  (Read 68311 times)

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Favourite Aircraft
« Reply #320 on: May 7, 2008, 07:22:09 pm »
just to let you know that in cape town there is a flying school that has the very rare 2 seater English Electric Lightning. and yes you can pay to fly in it...
not sure if it was always theres or they bought the one that used to be at Binbrook (that I so nearly got to fly in).. hell of an experience though...

also of the same era.. XH558 is back in the air   http://youtube.com/watch?v=7-x43MKI6LY

That would be some experience, life long dream to get put in a cage surrounded by great whites, then in the afternoon I could fly in a Lightening! If they have a website put the link up here

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #321 on: May 7, 2008, 07:33:20 pm »
Great thred...... love planes...
We won it 5 times........

Offline pantbash

• is single and likely to remain that way
  • Kopite
  • A Bacchanalian - Still persecuted since BC
« Reply #322 on: May 8, 2008, 07:07:14 am »
I always thought the MiG's were the sexiest of the fighter jets.

Atheism (from Greek, "athos" meaning 'hell', "eios" meaning 'demon' or 'Satan', and "ismos" meaning Liberal, literally "Satan's Liberal Helldemon")

Offline sonnyred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #323 on: May 8, 2008, 11:42:39 am »
Some nice pics.

ME 262

Hind - When I see this in COD4 I leg it :P

F-22

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #324 on: May 15, 2008, 08:40:16 pm »
That would be some experience, life long dream to get put in a cage surrounded by great whites, then in the afternoon I could fly in a Lightening! If they have a website put the link up here

http://www.thundercity.com/tc_main.htm

there ya go!!

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2009, 09:18:05 pm »
Totally in love with these after seeing them up close at Coningsby yesterday:

Had a look round the VC-10s at Brize a few weeks ago too, surprised at the size of them to be honest, thought they would be bigger than they actually are.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline alpha2omega

• Main Stander
  • some said GOD but we said Shankly
« Reply #326 on: March 25, 2009, 09:56:26 pm »
Buccaneer

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:48:02 am by alpha2omega »

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: March 25, 2009, 09:57:33 pm »
F-22

One of them hit the desert today
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Online Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #328 on: March 25, 2009, 09:58:54 pm »
One of them hit the desert today

waste of an amazing machine :(
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #329 on: March 25, 2009, 10:07:33 pm »

this beauty
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2009, 07:51:01 am »
Purely because I haven't posted a picture of the most beautiful machine ever created for a while

It's still the Spit
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2009, 09:03:45 am »
So many to choose from...but when I was young in the early 60's I always wanted to fly one of these.

Pure Dan Dare.

Far greater bomb load than the Vulcan, faster (Mach 1+ in shallow dive) and higher altitude, there's even film of one loop-de-looping at Farnborough in the late 50's.

If it wasn't for the change in deterence thinking and the pressing need for 3 point tankers in the late 60's and Victors capability to carry so much and fit the bill cheaply, these would have easily outlasted the Vulcans and still be in service as big stick bombers if they had been treasured, rather than hammered. That, and aviation industry politics, something we seem to historically do really well here in the UK.

Just think, modern avionics could have reduced the crew to 2, and with an ability to hoik upto 35000lbs (Bomb bay like a railway carriage, so it was possible for 70000lbs, 35 x 2000lb to be carried) up to 69000 feet, the boys and girls out in Afghanistan could probably do with a few of these loitering up above them to provide some instant precision pounding on Terence when he gets naughty.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: March 26, 2009, 09:39:37 am »
F16C Definatly my favourite :)
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Pheeny

« Reply #333 on: March 26, 2009, 09:52:24 am »
:D

That's what happens when you call a Mod a crab.
:wave

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: March 26, 2009, 12:46:01 pm »

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: March 26, 2009, 12:50:24 pm »
Harrier Jump Jet.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Dick_Emre

• Kopite
#PardewForEngland

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: March 26, 2009, 01:22:21 pm »
Have to say the Cessna 150 as well, simply because they're some of the best built planes of all time and my Dad owns one I've flown in 'em number of times.

Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: March 26, 2009, 01:38:18 pm »
personally find this hard to beat.the power of this thing, i mean check this out its almost motonless then bang, away it .go

www.youtube.com/watch?v=79LE4ty_gkM

would love to on that when that happened!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:50:49 pm by Pheeny »
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline philmcevatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: March 27, 2009, 10:35:00 pm »

The Saab Gripen. Always thought it was better looking than the Viggen

The classic, guessing it needs no introduction in this thread

Tankbuster - likewise this one

Comache - like the first pic, preferred this one over the apache
Not only do i think pot should be legalized, it should be mandatory.......... That'd  be a nice world, wouldnt it? Mellow, hungry, quiet f*cked up people everywhere

Life is Just a ride.......

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: March 29, 2009, 05:18:36 pm »
Although I've always loved the F-16 I think variants of the Su-27 Flanker family easily the most sleak and fearsome looking fighters.

If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #341 on: March 29, 2009, 05:24:52 pm »
Although I've always loved the F-16 I think variants of the Su-27 Flanker family easily the most sleak and fearsome looking fighters.

The Flanker doing a Cobra is quite something.

Still one of my favourites

Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: March 29, 2009, 05:32:06 pm »
My favourite though is still this guy -

Possibly the best looking plane I've seen.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2009, 06:11:59 pm »

The SU27/33 is indeed a beautifully designed and very potent aircraft.

Heard a story from an aviation insider a few years ago that British Aerospace did a full scale study of buying SU27(SU33) airframes and putting Western avionics and UK engines into them for use on the new UK carriers. The storyteller said that the predicted results were outstanding, easily beating the JSF and the possible Navalised Typhoon alternative in performance and every other respect, but at half the cost.

The Yanks went ballistic when they heard of it, we'd already or were about to sign the one-sided crock-of-crap blacksmiths apprentice STOVL JSF contract, and a storm of political pressure resulted in the project being canned and well and truly buried and the perpetrators of this audacious idea sent to clean toilets.

If true, it sadly brings back memories of the TSR2/F1-11 debacle back in the early 60's.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2009, 07:34:33 pm »
The SU27/33 is indeed a beautifully designed and very potent aircraft.

Heard a story from an aviation insider a few years ago that British Aerospace did a full scale study of buying SU27(SU33) airframes and putting Western avionics and UK engines into them for use on the new UK carriers. The storyteller said that the predicted results were outstanding, easily beating the JSF and the possible Navalised Typhoon alternative in performance and every other respect, but at half the cost.

The Yanks went ballistic when they heard of it, we'd already or were about to sign the one-sided crock-of-crap blacksmiths apprentice STOVL JSF contract, and a storm of political pressure resulted in the project being canned and well and truly buried and the perpetrators of this audacious idea sent to clean toilets.

If true, it sadly brings back memories of the TSR2/F1-11 debacle back in the early 60's.

I don't think Sea Typhoon has ever been a realistic proposition. I read an RAF officer explaining all the reasons why on ARRSE once, although I can't remember his reasoning fully and I can't find the thread at the moment. It mostly boiled down to cost, I think.

SU-27/33 vs JSF is interesting, although it would depend what variant of JSF it was compared to I suppose. I believe Ivan uses them on his carrier and I think the Indians are planning on using them on their new carrier that they're building (edit - no they're not, it's MiG-29 and a new aircraft type they're planning on using). I don't think they'd be any use to our carriers though, because the Queen Elizabeths won't have catapults or arrestor wires, so they need a STOVL type such as the JSF or Harrier.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:39:07 pm by BIGdavalad »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2009, 08:06:53 pm »
I don't think Sea Typhoon has ever been a realistic proposition. I read an RAF officer explaining all the reasons why on ARRSE once, although I can't remember his reasoning fully and I can't find the thread at the moment. It mostly boiled down to cost, I think.

SU-27/33 vs JSF is interesting, although it would depend what variant of JSF it was compared to I suppose. I believe Ivan uses them on his carrier and I think the Indians are planning on using them on their new carrier that they're building (edit - no they're not, it's MiG-29 and a new aircraft type they're planning on using). I don't think they'd be any use to our carriers though, because the Queen Elizabeths won't have catapults or arrestor wires, so they need a STOVL type such as the JSF or Harrier.

I think you're right regarding a Sea Typhoon derivative, it always seemed to be just a threatened backstop/fallback option if the STOVL JSF failed big time and I doubt any serious work has been carried out other than a preliminary feasability and costing study. Still be quite a nice option though.
I understand the proposal was to use a ski-jump for the SU-33, like the Russians use on the Kuznetsov, and to thus fit in with one of the original proposed options for our CVF design, and while not needing a catapult, it would still need an angled deck and arrestors.
As it is, I really fear for these ships, if they ever even get completed in the current economic climate. A whole lot of assets concentrated in a very expensive commercial standard hull with little to protect them and a seeming reliance, like everything these days, for everything on GPS. Let's just hope they are only ever used against peeps who can't fight back, (or who can't knock out or jam&jitter GPS etc).  I suppose we'll muddle through like we always seem to do.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2009, 08:21:20 pm »
No problems with the STOVL variant of the F-35 Lightning II (JSF) as far as i know. Britain has just ordered its first three aircraft for testing.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #347 on: March 29, 2009, 08:24:28 pm »
Just heard about the f-22 crash...so much to go wrong in modern planes these days. Think the f-22 is one of those that can only "fly" because of the al the computers constantly making minor adjustments. Takes one of these not to work (although i'm sure they have a backup) and it leads to something like this
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Online Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #348 on: March 29, 2009, 08:25:44 pm »
Just heard about the f-22 crash...so much to go wrong in modern planes these days. Think the f-22 is one of those that can only "fly" because of the al the computers constantly making minor adjustments. Takes one of these not to work (although i'm sure they have a backup) and it leads to something like this

yep, because planes never crashed in the good old days
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #349 on: March 29, 2009, 08:59:15 pm »

Fly by wire mate. Modern fast jets cannot be flown by the pilot alone.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: March 29, 2009, 09:02:04 pm »
Once watched on Discovery Channel that the F22 Raptor have two super-computers in the plane to help the pilot avoid information overload during operations, especially in combat.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: July 20, 2009, 10:52:05 pm »
Dunno if anyone was at Fairford last weekend? Anyways, was great to see the Vulcan flying again. The howl from those engines is superb.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: July 20, 2009, 11:43:52 pm »
Cant beat a good old F16-C!
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #353 on: July 21, 2009, 12:11:12 am »
Dunno if anyone was at Fairford last weekend? Anyways, was great to see the Vulcan flying again. The howl from those engines is superb.

I was working it.  Vulcan was deffo one of the highlights.  I'm still in love with the Typhoon though.  Amazing.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #354 on: July 21, 2009, 01:11:58 am »
A319 is quite nice.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #355 on: July 21, 2009, 10:33:31 am »

Use the Force Luke.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #356 on: July 21, 2009, 11:04:23 am »
S-37

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: July 21, 2009, 11:15:01 am »
Some of those aircrafts look amazing. Too bad they end up being the bringers of death!

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: July 21, 2009, 11:24:26 am »
Some of those aircrafts look amazing. Too bad they end up being the bringers of death!

Yes but I wouldn't mind if i was on my death bed and someone decided to grass my ass flying any of those suckers, couldn't think of a cooler way to go.

This thing scares me just looking at it

Offline OneKop

• Kopite
« Reply #359 on: July 21, 2009, 11:39:25 am »

Rumour has it, that during the war, a lot of the aircrafts bought bringers of life as well {well so me auntie told me ;D} damn them yanks. overpaid, oversexed and over here.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.