Author Topic: P&O  (Read 10126 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: P & 0
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2022, 07:07:16 pm »
Tory behaviour by P & O.  :no :no
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2022, 09:09:09 pm »
It seems like Grant Shapps and Kwasi Kwarteng have written strongly worded letters to a man who resigned as P&O chairman on 16th December 2021...

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1504868192312872966?s=20&t=6sQAlRht54zqtfH0WKgVzQ

FFS. Grant 'two names' Schapps is such a moron. Kwarteng is thick as pigshit.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2022, 09:43:49 pm »

I don't think there's an answer to the following question: Did a) they tell the Business Secretary, meaning they knew or b) decide not to bother and just to take the fine and reputational damage.

They'll take the fine (whatever that is) as it would have been calculated that its less than the savings. As for reputational damage, this will be easily forgotten. Plus what are the other shipping options for people who use these services? Are exporters, transport companies, driving tourists going to stop doing using them? Unfortunately, I think not.

Abhorrent behaviour.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2022, 10:13:41 pm »
Lets see what happens, same as the past I imagine, Labour will promise to give workers more rights and security,  Tory's and bosses will say this will make it harder for us to get rid of workers to keep our company viable so Labours new laws will deter us from hiring new workers. all the people who think none of this will effect them as they think their jobs are safe will probably agree with the Torys.

It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2022, 10:35:27 pm »
It's alright everyone. The government have sent a strongly worded letter to P&O Chairman....

Only problem is they sent the letter to the P&O Chairman who resigned last year

You’d be amazed how many people it takes to get a Ministerial letter written. This will have been signed off by multiple people across Departments - including Cabinet Office and No10.

And it’s wrong…

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2022, 10:36:43 pm »
So P&O have pulled a right incendiary Capitalist cracker out of the hat here eh? Violated every reasonable Industrial Relations  consultation etiquette in the book - having not too long ago begged for - and been given - £10 millions of our tax payments to "assist" them. It's a wonder that their CEO isn't dragged before the courts or indeed Parliament for this disgraceful behaviour.

Parliament MUST pass emergency legislation that reverses this outrage - specifically in cases where there's been ZERO consultation!! Fire and re-hire with cheap imported agency staffs? Fuck off!! This hasn't just "happened" ! P&O MUST have been at this underhanded shite behind closed doors for many many weeks before their cringeworthy and bloody cowardly big video announcement!! Never trust a Tory!! They'll shake your hand blue eyed and smiling - then stab you with the other! How low has our country sunk FFS?

Brexit. They literally voted for it.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: P&O
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2022, 09:44:42 am »
It's alright everyone. The government have sent a strongly worded letter to P&O Chairman....

Only problem is they sent the letter to the P&O Chairman who resigned last year

Consistently incompetent

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2022, 06:03:45 pm »
They'll take the fine (whatever that is) as it would have been calculated that its less than the savings. As for reputational damage, this will be easily forgotten. Plus what are the other shipping options for people who use these services? Are exporters, transport companies, driving tourists going to stop doing using them? Unfortunately, I think not.

Abhorrent behaviour.
Stena line from cairnryan to Belfast is what I use. dread to see what happens now with prices etc its already very expensive
YNWA

Offline Redknight60

• Main Stander
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2022, 07:13:25 pm »
I was one of the 800 who was sacked on Thursday. Notified by the recorderd message at 11am and off the ship and on the way home by 2pm. Worked for them for over ten years, many others onboard their whole careers. Still doesn't really seem real.

Our CEO used to mention in basically every meeting he took that he 'knew nothing about ships' and he's proved it with this move. Not a single technical officer on our ship was retained to hand over to the new crew waiting in the car park. Crazy for any ship, but for one that may carry over 1000 passengers, it's absolute madness. If they do follow through with their plan to have the ships sail in the next week, they will be very fortunate not to have a major incident.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2022, 07:25:33 pm »
I was one of the 800 who was sacked on Thursday. Notified by the recorderd message at 11am and off the ship and on the way home by 2pm. Worked for them for over ten years, many others onboard their whole careers. Still doesn't really seem real.

Our CEO used to mention in basically every meeting he took that he 'knew nothing about ships' and he's proved it with this move. Not a single technical officer on our ship was retained to hand over to the new crew waiting in the car park. Crazy for any ship, but for one that may carry over 1000 passengers, it's absolute madness. If they do follow through with their plan to have the ships sail in the next week, they will be very fortunate not to have a major incident.

Sorry to hear about you losing your job. I know nothing about shipping, but I work in oil and I know that our clients really value the crew of our rigs as much as the rig itself. They will often choose to keep one rig over taking another that is technically superior because they know the crew of the rig and know it will do a good job. When we have a rig shutdown for a while and then reactivated with a new crew, it is inevitable that it is a bit of a shitshow for a while as no one knows the rig like the back of their hand. I imagine there are similarities with shipping.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2022, 07:39:53 pm »

So sorry to hear that man, I wish you all the best.
I despair at what is being done to our nation by this bunch of vile bastards and their supporters.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2022, 08:36:30 pm »
Imagine if the Irish refused to allow it dock.

P&O resumes Liverpool-Dublin service as government reviews contracts

Tory party co-chair voices ‘revulsion’ at ferry company’s actions after 800 staff replaced with agency workers

P&O crossings between Liverpool and Dublin resumed on Saturday afternoon, two days after the ferry company suspended services when it sacked 800 staff and brought in replacement agency workers.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/19/uk-government-reviewing-its-po-ferries-contracts-after-staff-sackings
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2022, 09:14:45 pm »

Sorry to hear that

Must be terrible :(

Is there any chance there is anything else going?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Redknight60

• Main Stander
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2022, 09:46:36 pm »
Sorry to hear that

Must be terrible :(

Is there any chance there is anything else going?
Thanks all. Hopefully something else will crop up. We had 2 prior rounds of redundancies through the pandemic and most of the guys that went found something fairly quickly so thats positive.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2022, 09:47:30 pm »

Solidarity mate.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2022, 10:34:51 am »

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2022, 05:33:05 pm »

Sorry that fiucking sucks.

Can i ask a very stupid question. How long do rhe crew stay onboard?  Eg is it a couuple of days on/off, or weeks, or months?  And is P&Os long term plan to put philippinos and indians onboard for up to 11 months at a time?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2022, 10:42:44 am »
Labour have cleverly resurrected their Bill to ban 'fire and rehire', and a vote is due to take place today.

Either the Tories vote for a ban on 'fire and rehire' and workers get better rights, or they give Labour a huge opening to exploit - to reawaken the narrative that the Tories don't care about ordinary working people and only consider their rich business chums and patrons.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2022, 10:47:09 am »
Labour have cleverly resurrected their Bill to ban 'fire and rehire', and a vote is due to take place today.

Either the Tories vote for a ban on 'fire and rehire' and workers get better rights, or they give Labour a huge opening to exploit - to reawaken the narrative that the Tories don't care about ordinary working people and only consider their rich business chums and patrons.

That's good.

Do the Tories recognise the value of trade unions or do they want to go back to the early 19th century? Sacking people on the spot and hiring scab labour?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Redknight60

• Main Stander
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2022, 11:02:44 am »
Sorry that fiucking sucks.

Can i ask a very stupid question. How long do rhe crew stay onboard?  Eg is it a couuple of days on/off, or weeks, or months?  And is P&Os long term plan to put philippinos and indians onboard for up to 11 months at a time?

Thanks, varies ship to ship. The channel ferries generally had crew on a week on week off rotation as the crew tended to mostly be local to the area. Other sectors were 2 weeks on 2 off.

I don't know what the long term plan is. The adverts I have seen for the agency crews that came in showed a decent rate and I understand there were some British recruited for it(although some of them turned around when they realised what was happening).

I'd guess once all our settlements are through and the dust settles, they will bin off the agency crews they have now and crew the ships with cheap foreign crews.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2022, 11:04:55 am »
That's good.

Do the Tories recognise the value of trade unions or do they want to go back to the early 19th century? Sacking people on the spot and hiring scab labour?

Publicly condemn, for electoral reasons
Privately have it as a wank-fantasy

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2022, 12:51:32 pm »
Stena line from cairnryan to Belfast is what I use. dread to see what happens now with prices etc its already very expensive

Coming over for one of my regular holidays in Donegal in the summer. I couldnt believe the increase in prices for 5 people & car from the last time i was over. Stena has always been my choice because they went straight into Belfast instead of the wacky races from Larne and frankly they`ve had a much better, modern service for a long time.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2022, 12:54:42 pm »

Sorry to hear about your personal circumstance, frankly it`s a disgrace and a nightmare for anyone who might be in a similar situation. I`m kinda worried about the precedent of all of this, and it has some echoes from my youth of miners being replaced by cheaper "scabs". Do you think there will be safety issues arising from these replacement workers taking over the jobs of long-term employees?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2022, 12:55:56 pm »
That's good.

The simple answer would be yes but doesn’t Rees -Mogg think British workers should have the same rights as those in the third world?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2022, 12:57:20 pm »
Brexit. They literally voted for it.

I thought I read somewhere on RAWK that French (well EU) staff were protected from this happening. Or did I just dream that?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2022, 12:58:50 pm »
Sorry to hear about your personal circumstance, frankly it`s a disgrace and a nightmare for anyone who might be in a similar situation. I`m kinda worried about the precedent of all of this, and it has some echoes from my youth of miners being replaced by cheaper "scabs". Do you think there will be safety issues arising from these replacement workers taking over the jobs of long-term employees?

It's only poor people like us that use ferries. So I doubt the bosses or the government care.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2022, 12:59:26 pm »
I thought I read somewhere on RAWK that French (well EU) staff were protected from this happening. Or did I just dream that?

Do it to French staff and they’d blockade the ports.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2022, 01:00:47 pm »
Coming over for one of my regular holidays in Donegal in the summer. I couldnt believe the increase in prices for 5 people & car from the last time i was over. Stena has always been my choice because they went straight into Belfast instead of the wacky races from Larne and frankly they`ve had a much better, modern service for a long time.

Ha we always get the ferry to Larne as we head up the coast from there but will be using Stenna this summer.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2022, 01:03:06 pm »
I finally managed to cancel our crossing to France in April.  I had to eventually agree to pay a cancellation fee after initially being told they were going to withhold all the money.  We're paying more now to use the Chunnel but not a single further penny will be going to P&O (or British Gas!).

My view is a bit clouded by the ongoing hangover of Brexit and over a decade of an ever-worsening Tory party but it really feels like the UK has hammered the accelerator in the race to the bottom.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2022, 01:46:42 pm »
The simple answer would be yes but doesn’t Rees -Mogg think British workers should have the same rights as those in the third world?

Yes he does.

The trouble is the Red Wall does not want that.

Time for those voters to be reminded which party is the friend of the working man and woman.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2022, 01:48:41 pm »
I finally managed to cancel our crossing to France in April.  I had to eventually agree to pay a cancellation fee after initially being told they were going to withhold all the money.  We're paying more now to use the Chunnel but not a single further penny will be going to P&O (or British Gas!).

My view is a bit clouded by the ongoing hangover of Brexit and over a decade of an ever-worsening Tory party but it really feels like the UK has hammered the accelerator in the race to the bottom.

What have British Gas done ?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2022, 02:18:57 pm »
What have British Gas done ?

Fired and rehired their engineers on worse terms

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2022, 07:05:02 pm »
See the Union is claiming at least some of the agency staff are on £1.81 an hour.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2022, 11:25:57 pm »
Fired and rehired their engineers on worse terms
That's shitty too. I wouldn't go with them again as massively overpriced. But won't even be tempted to look now.

Offline stanleyparkmudonmyboots

• Main Stander
  • 78 then the 26
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2022, 12:05:05 pm »
Anybody watch the select committee? The boss of a British company openly admitting they knew they were breaking the law by sacking thier staff in the manner they did. It was the only way he said. A man in charge who clearly does not know the details of the operations of his company, workers in France and Netherlands treated differently. Making incorrect statements to the committee about the operation of his company, a man who is on £325,000 a year, who won't say whether he will be taking his bonus. If the government do nothing, then they truly are contemptible.
Tinaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2022, 12:12:34 pm »
Anybody watch the select committee? The boss of a British company openly admitting they knew they were breaking the law by sacking thier staff in the manner they did. It was the only way he said. A man in charge who clearly does not know the details of the operations of his company, workers in France and Netherlands treated differently. Making incorrect statements to the committee about the operation of his company, a man who is on £325,000 a year, who won't say whether he will be taking his bonus. If the government do nothing, then they truly are contemptible.

The government are already contemptible, and they will do nothing beyond some tokenism to delude the bellend plebs who voted for them

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2022, 12:52:51 pm »

The government are already contemptible, and they will do nothing beyond some tokenism to delude the bellend plebs who voted for them
Wouldn't be surprised if Reece-Mogg pops up with some of his usual spin view. must remind him of old times.
Something on the lines of UK Companies must have the freedom to run their companies without government interference. we are not living under the thumb of the EU now. we are a free country. we can now do as we please.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2022, 12:58:00 pm »
Johnson pushed back on Starmer at pmq's yesterday saying the govt will take the company to court......don't hold your breath.

Appalling what's happened and feel sorry for all the staff who've been sacked - Tories have allowed this sort of behaviour to fester for years. Similar thing happened to 500 Liverpool dockers in the mid 90's when they were sacked following a dispute (although the dispute lasted over 2 years even after Labour were elected in '97).

At least Starmer called it out yesterday - but, this callous bunch of twats will just spout how they've '...increased the living wage to record levels...'

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2022, 01:05:08 pm »
Johnson pushed back on Starmer at pmq's yesterday saying the govt will take the company to court......don't hold your breath.

Appalling what's happened and feel sorry for all the staff who've been sacked - Tories have allowed this sort of behaviour to fester for years. Similar thing happened to 500 Liverpool dockers in the mid 90's when they were sacked following a dispute (although the dispute lasted over 2 years even after Labour were elected in '97).

At least Starmer called it out yesterday - but, this callous bunch of twats will just spout how they've '...increased the living wage to record levels...'
Hard to believe but bosses who behaved like P&0 were admired during the Thatcher period, hatchet men who were brought in to shut down companies and chop the work force to the bone so the reaction to these P&O sackings is good.If this was accepted as something other companies may have to do to survive as it was in the 80s then the UK workers future would be even bleaker.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2022, 02:37:03 pm »
Hard to believe but bosses who behaved like P&0 were admired during the Thatcher period, hatchet men who were brought in to shut down companies and chop the work force to the bone so the reaction to these P&O sackings is good.If this was accepted as something other companies may have to do to survive as it was in the 80s then the UK workers future would be even bleaker.
Agree with you - as Starmer said yesterday, if P&O get away with this it'll be the green light for other shipping lines and other industries to follow suit.....which may happen anyway.