Author Topic: Universal Basic Income  (Read 14898 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Universal Basic Income
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2022, 07:39:59 pm »
But we've had, in the last couple of years in the States, a bit of a preview - billions of Covid relief dollars were dished out to people, and all of a sudden nobody was showing up to work and everything got way more expensive.

That's not a preview though. UBI isn't a simple case of giving everyone X amount of money and that's it (which is what happened in the US). UBI involves a whole load of other fiscal and monetary policies which help control inflation, encourages employment, etc.

Sure, there would likely be an adjustment period where some quit work and live off the UBI, but ultimately it would fine an equilibrium.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2022, 07:47:23 pm »
Is there agreement on what universal basic services would provide? I guess, house, domestic fuel and enough to put basic food on the table?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2022, 08:54:46 am »
UBI wont work on a funamental level, as it'll just drive up inflation.

That is such an odd argument. Looking at it the other way, to keep inflation down, some people have to be extremely poor?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2022, 09:09:27 am »
Is there agreement on what universal basic services would provide? I guess, house, domestic fuel and enough to put basic food on the table?

Here you go Paul:

The home for all things UBS. This site is dedicated to providing information and resources related to Universal Basic Services.

UBS definition: the provision of sufficient public services, as can be afforded from a reasonable tax on incomes, to enable every citizen's safety, opportunity, and participation.

Basic Services should be universally available to provide shelter, sustenance, health & care, education, local transport, information access, and legal & democracy support, at a level that enables every member of society to maintain their material safety, and embark on efforts to make their personal contribution to the rest of their society. To those objectives we add the vital component of participation, as necessary to the functioning of the democratic political system which forms the bedrock of our society.

https://universalbasicservices.org/

In general, I believe it's a better alternative to UBI.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 12:23:10 pm by Red-Soldier »

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2022, 09:28:05 am »

That is such an odd argument. Looking at it the other way, to keep inflation down, some people have to be extremely poor?

People don’t need to be extremely poor for inflation to be low, but you do need people available to work to prevent wage inflation and the worry is that a UBI would dissuade people from working, shrinking the labour supply and causing wage inflation. But critics of the minimum wage said that would cause inflation too when it was introduced and it didn’t.

Personally, I’d just be happy if benefits reflected the actual cost of living such that people didn’t have to make choices between things like heating and eating.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2022, 09:34:10 am »
People don’t need to be extremely poor for inflation to be low, but you do need people available to work to prevent wage inflation and the worry is that a UBI would dissuade people from working, shrinking the labour supply and causing wage inflation. But critics of the minimum wage said that would cause inflation too when it was introduced and it didn’t.

Personally, I’d just be happy if benefits reflected the actual cost of living such that people didn’t have to make choices between things like heating and eating.

The other argument is that with more people able to spend that the demand for goods would rise and companies could benefit from greater economies of scale so can bring costs down in other areas even if wages do increase.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2022, 09:39:29 am »
The other argument is that with more people able to spend that the demand for goods would rise and companies could benefit from greater economies of scale so can bring costs down in other areas even if wages do increase.
You'd hope, but that unfortunately is then asking corporations to act responsibly in terms of their control of costs and where they redistribute the money - almost certainly into their own back pockets.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2022, 09:49:44 am »

I think the problem with that is that we manufacture so little here that we would see little benefit from economies of scale in this country, in fact we could suck in more imports as people have more to spend, the GBP depreciates and that also causes inflation. There’s probably a shit load of variables that would need to be factored into something as radical as a UBI
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2022, 10:09:31 am »
I think the problem with that is that we manufacture so little here that we would see little benefit from economies of scale in this country, in fact we could suck in more imports as people have more to spend, the GBP depreciates and that also causes inflation. There’s probably a shit load of variables that would need to be factored into something as radical as a UBI

I think the problem is that we've been conditioned over centuries to believe that the current capitalist nightmare which is destroying the planet and our mental health is the only way.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2022, 10:26:21 am »
I think the problem is that we've been conditioned over centuries to believe that the current capitalist nightmare which is destroying the planet and our mental health is the only way.

There’s definitely something in that, but I don’t think it’s just conditioning, looking after number 1, the family, the clan, the tribe over everyone else is how we’ve evolved, it’s in our programming as it is in animals. It’s not an easy thing to overcome.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2022, 10:36:17 am »
You'd hope, but that unfortunately is then asking corporations to act responsibly in terms of their control of costs and where they redistribute the money - almost certainly into their own back pockets.

Would certainly be some of that, but you’d hope in a competitive market that prices would eventually be forced down.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2022, 10:37:41 am »

There are plenty of savings to be made beyond just manufacturing, even for import businesses.

But yeah, 100% there are so many variables, and wider changes, which would need to be made to make UBI successful on a wide scale.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2022, 12:50:37 pm »
Not entirely by design,  but for a lot of 'developed'  economies,  there's a lot of room to raise rates against inflation due to cuts / Covid related cuts / opportunities to raise not taken over the years,  especially in the EU.  As good a time to trial UBI / services as any.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2022, 12:22:34 pm »
Happy to see Wales trialling this

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2022, 11:18:32 pm »
We might go looking for an alternative to capitalism, but would we be eaten alive in a global economy?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.