Author Topic: Watford  (Read 55680 times)

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
Re: Quique Sanches Flores to leave Watford
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2016, 12:47:05 am »
Got a strange feeling he might end up with the bitters............
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2016, 02:36:52 am »

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2016, 02:42:37 am »
They're fucking 13th after getting promoted and they're sacking their manager. Fucking hell.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2016, 03:43:19 am »
They're fucking 13th after getting promoted and they're sacking their manager. Fucking hell.

In fairness that's what everyone thought when Leicester sacked their manager last season...
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2016, 04:16:17 am »
The Leicester situation wont repeat itself. Like - ever.

Watford will regret this.

I, for one, am literally going to put money on them going down next season unless it's a very, VERY impressive replacement and he's given a lot of financial backing.

Think this is a very poor move.
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Online Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2016, 06:10:10 am »
In fairness that's what everyone thought when Leicester sacked their manager last season...

People really are downplaying Leicester's achievement massively. Everybody keeps saying it will work as motivation for other clubs in the PL who are floundering in mid-table. It may well give them motivation but genuine belief? Not a chance. Leicester's win was a complete once in a generation win and is highly unlikely to happen again for years and years. That and the fact everyone keeps using Pearson being sacked and replaced by Ranieri as a reason to justify a sacking as ridiculous as Flores. Not aiming this at you in particular mate, btw.

This is a ridiculous sacking. They've been promoted and he has kept them up with a lot to spare. The reason they have fallen off in the last couple in months is largely down to both their strikers hitting a poor run of form after a rich run of form but also probably because they knew they were safe weeks ago and were happy with that and went off the boil a bit. Which is fair enough. Who are they likely to bring in? Martinez? De Boer? Only the latter would be a big enough name to justify all this, but only on paper. It's results that mattter and Flores delivered them, and a bit more. Hope he goes elsewhere and does a good job, unless it is Everton of course. Is he linked to those at Woodison?
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2016, 07:43:02 am »
People really are downplaying Leicester's achievement massively. Everybody keeps saying it will work as motivation for other clubs in the PL who are floundering in mid-table. It may well give them motivation but genuine belief? Not a chance. Leicester's win was a complete once in a generation win and is highly unlikely to happen again for years and years. That and the fact everyone keeps using Pearson being sacked and replaced by Ranieri as a reason to justify a sacking as ridiculous as Flores. Not aiming this at you in particular mate, btw.

This is a ridiculous sacking. They've been promoted and he has kept them up with a lot to spare. The reason they have fallen off in the last couple in months is largely down to both their strikers hitting a poor run of form after a rich run of form but also probably because they knew they were safe weeks ago and were happy with that and went off the boil a bit. Which is fair enough. Who are they likely to bring in? Martinez? De Boer? Only the latter would be a big enough name to justify all this, but only on paper. It's results that mattter and Flores delivered them, and a bit more. Hope he goes elsewhere and does a good job, unless it is Everton of course. Is he linked to those at Woodison?

I mentioned Leicester, not because I think that will happen again but because with the money available in the league now, the expectation of where a team should finish has changed. 

'Small' teams and promoted teams don't have to rely on journeymen players or sell on any decent  player that comes through.

And you say that Watford's season petered out because the strikers lost form and the team lost motivation. Isn't it the manager's job to motivate his team and work out how to keep his best players in form?  I was at Watford away and their strikers destroyed us (with a helping hand from Bogdan).
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2016, 08:18:31 am »
Crazy decision from the outside looking in

Online Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2016, 08:33:45 am »
I mentioned Leicester, not because I think that will happen again but because with the money available in the league now, the expectation of where a team should finish has changed. 

'Small' teams and promoted teams don't have to rely on journeymen players or sell on any decent  player that comes through.

And you say that Watford's season petered out because the strikers lost form and the team lost motivation. Isn't it the manager's job to motivate his team and work out how to keep his best players in form?  I was at Watford away and their strikers destroyed us (with a helping hand from Bogdan).

to be honest mate I didn't see your post, only read through this page and going from what I've seen on twitter and in the media etc. I agree that the expectation of every team has changed somewhat, just not to the extent that Sunderland think they can win the league next season.

I also agree with you with regards to the managers job being to motivate his players to avoid what I speculated may have happened. I just think that the first half of the season was that good for them that, the fact he got them promoted in the first place, he should be cut a lot of slack for a little blip in form. If next season they were in a similar position and wanted to progress as a club and were going for a really ambitious replacement then while I still would think it would be unfair slightly, it would be justified a little more.

It all really depends on who they bring in doesn't it? Say they bring in someone like De Boer or Rodgers would the fans be a little less annoyed? Two young managers who have a decent reputation? Or would they prefer someone like Moyes who gets the most out of what he has, is experienced and will almost certainly keep you up every season? Who are the front runners for the job?
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Online Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2016, 08:42:09 am »
I see Walter Mazzarri is in fact looking nailed on. Don't really know a great deal about him and having looked at his record it certainly isn't a 'wow' appointment. At this moment in time it still looks like an awful decision should he get the job. Are they hoping he will do what his countryman Ranieri did?

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2016, 10:14:05 am »
in terms of what they have achieved this season it's a weird deicision but at the same time - haven't they been in pretty awful form since the turn of the new year?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2016, 10:47:25 am »
I see Walter Mazzarri is in fact looking nailed on. Don't really know a great deal about him and having looked at his record it certainly isn't a 'wow' appointment. At this moment in time it still looks like an awful decision should he get the job. Are they hoping he will do what his countryman Ranieri did?

He has managed Sampdoria, Napoli and Inter. This is Watford. He took a club to second in Serie A and won silverware in Italy.

Besides if you read the statement about the break in his contract, it s far from clear whether it is the manager or the club driving the split. Bemoaning the absurdity of the "sacking" where it is possible that the manager has chosen to exercise his option to walk.

Watford do not pay huge money, but they do offer huge exposure by being in the Premier League. Flores could earn far more money elsewhere, so keeping Watford up comfortably could have worked very nicely for his future earning potential.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2016, 11:00:59 am »
in terms of what they have achieved this season it's a weird deicision but at the same time - haven't they been in pretty awful form since the turn of the new year?
16 points in 20 games.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2016, 12:02:26 pm »
This is simply not true, if a player is good enough to play for a bigger team they will still leave if they want to. The only difference is that there will be less selling to balance the books.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2016, 12:09:50 pm »
I see nothing wrong with it. The owner's call and fair play to them they're ambitious. Flores has done decent enough but most of his career, he has been a so-so manager. Truth be told, he's average. If they think they can get a better manager, then so be it.

There has been a few cases of the football public being in shock and criticising decisons like this, only to be proven wrong. Adkins at Southampton and Hughton at Newcastle stand out. Southamption progressed brilliantly under Pochettino, and then you had Pardew who got Newcastle within a few points off 4th the next season.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2016, 12:27:00 pm »
I don't understand the outrage towards this decision.

Watford have been dire this year. I have a mate who supports Watford so maybe I've just watched them a lot more than most on here.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2016, 01:25:03 pm »
I don't understand the outrage towards this decision.

Watford have been dire this year. I have a mate who supports Watford so maybe I've just watched them a lot more than most on here.

Yes, but there has to be outrage.

Go to outrage. Do not pass rational thought or reason. Do not collect facts. Go directly to outrage.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2016, 06:35:24 pm »
weird one this, he did a good job there.. now I hope they go down

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2016, 06:37:06 pm »
weird one this, he did a good job there.. now I hope they go down

:D

Why would you hope they go down? Bizarre mindset.

Surely there are three other clubs you'd want to go down over a pretty harmless team who sacked a manager who had them in an atrocious run of form....?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2016, 07:07:10 pm »
Surely there are three other clubs you'd want to go down over a pretty harmless team who sacked a manager who had them in an atrocious run of form....?
Everton

oh wait
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2016, 08:17:03 pm »
I spoke to a Watford fan about this very subject quite recently, also my own dismay at the possibility he could be sacked. My views were the same as a few others, he'd done a good job but not so good in the second half.

His point was they don't really hire a manager at Watford to do everything, for the very reason that if the manager leaves, they have to start from scratch with everything. So when Quique does go, they just need someone else to come in and just manage the first team most of the other stuff is run by a load of other people. So I think the club had enough of it and have decided to try something else.

The other point he raised was that players that do well are continually dropped for someone else, so continuity was often broken. I think this is probably where he lost the team and they probably lost respect for him. Sometimes it works when you drop players, but to keep dropping players who were also performing has been a bit if a sore subject at Watford.

I'm not a fan and I don't watch them play, just the motd highlights and other bits in the paper. But from the point of view of someone I know who goes all the homes and some aways these were the main points. He wanted him to stay, but said he wouldn't be surprised if they let him go.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2016, 09:02:45 pm »

My comment was meant to be a bit of a piss take. Seems to have gotten lost in translation. I think it is a ridiculous situation personally but I also couldnt really care too much what they do. I think this season was a huge achievement for them and if they want to ruin it next season that is their club's prerogative to do so. Wish nothing but success for their manager though. He didnt deserve to be put in this situation.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2016, 09:05:14 pm »
Harry Kewell to step up?
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Watford
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2016, 09:57:46 pm »
Walter Mazzarri agrees to take over as new manager at Watford

Walter Mazzarri has agreed to take over as the new Watford manager. The former Napoli and Internazionale manager has held talks with the Watford owner, Gino Pozzo, this week and agreed terms on a deal on Friday night.

The 54-year-old has not managed since leaving Inter in 2014 but has spent parts of the past two years in England, learning English. Mazzarri quickly emerged as the favourite to replace Quique Sánchez Flores with Pozzo having been an admirer for a long time. The Watford owner, who also owns Udinese, had been keen for Mazzarri to take over at the Italian club but the timing was never right.

Now, however, Pozzo has got his man. Mazzarri has a long and distinguished coaching career behind him already with four years at Napoli - where Valon Behrami and Miguel Britos, now at Watford, played for him - as well as spells at Pistoiese, Livorno, Reggina and Sampdoria as well as Inter. He prefers to play in a 3-5-2 system.

Watford finished 13th in the Premier League this season, having been promoted under Slavisa Jokanovic in 2015, and reached the FA Cup semi-final. However, their form was disappointing in the new year and Watford announced this month that Flores would leave at the end of the season.

Source: Guardian
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Watford
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2016, 09:59:05 pm »
Was surprised they got rid of Flores to be honest.

Offline itsalltosh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2016, 01:21:52 pm »
More Torygraph investigations, but Watford could be in a spot of bother...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37759489

could face a fine or points deducted, over a suspect bank letter as part of a takeover deal.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2016, 11:02:38 am »
Pozzo has already been implicated in missing money at the club. Pozzo is regarded by many as being a bit of a con man. The club is more of a victim that a benefactor from his actions. Natural justice would be Pozzo being banned from football for life, and the club being reprimanded. Pozzo was their H&G, just less legal.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2017, 10:56:51 pm »
Apparently their attempt to get Roger Schmidt has collapsed, after they offered him even less money than he was on at Leverkusen (Independent). Strange club.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2017, 11:20:08 pm »
God knows why anybody would agree to go there when they know they'll be sacked after one season.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2017, 12:30:48 am »
God knows why anybody would agree to go there when they know they'll be sacked after one season.

Harry Redknapp likes this.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2017, 07:48:20 am »
id love 3 years pay for one years work and keep my rep

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2017, 02:02:04 pm »
Has Silva signed for them?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2017, 02:12:19 pm »
Has Silva signed for them?

apparently so.

Last I read he was off to Porto, but now he's been comfirmed as Watford manager.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2017, 02:34:52 pm »
Odd decision by Silva. Unless he thinks Watford are a more stable prospect than Porto or Palace

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2017, 02:43:52 pm »
Odd decision by Silva. Unless he thinks Watford are a more stable prospect than Porto or Palace

He'll be their 11th manager since Brendan Rodgers became their manager in November 2008  :o

Hes nuts! But maybe he'll just be really good and they won't sack him lol.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2017, 04:12:29 pm »
He'll be their 11th manager since Brendan Rodgers became their manager in November 2008  :o

Hes nuts! But maybe he'll just be really good and they won't sack him lol.

There are now a really stable well run club, that happens to change the head coach. They lost a few through some freakish circumstances but the last one was supposed to be a keeper, until he gave up learning English, and visibly could not give a shot. The fundamentals are in place for a longer term manager, but this change was forced.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2017, 10:09:23 am »

I believe Porto pulled out of talks with Silva?

Watford have a good but under-performing squad, should be easy to keep up and if Silva can motivate the squad to top half and a cup run, enhances his reputation.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2017, 07:00:23 pm »
I believe Porto pulled out of talks with Silva?

Wouldn't surprise me, given he dithered a bit to listen to English offers. As you say, he'll get some money to spend and I doubt they will be relegated, unless they continue to have scoring issues

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2018, 10:37:36 am »
https://www.watfordfc.com/club/club-statement-marco-silva

Watford Football Club has parted company with Marco Silva.

This has been a difficult decision and one not taken lightly. The Club is convinced the appointment of Silva was the right one and had it not been for the unwarranted approach by a Premier League rival for his services we would have continued to prosper under his leadership.

The catalyst for this decision is that unwarranted approach, something which the Board believes has seen a significant deterioration in both focus and results to the point where the long-term future of Watford FC has been jeopardised.

For the security and success of the football club, the Board believes it has to make a change.

The Club will seek to make a swift appointment and there will be no further comment until that appointment has been made.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2018, 10:39:40 am »
What a fall from grace!

Watford don't mess about do they?
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...