Author Topic: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC  (Read 95340 times)

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Re: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC
« Reply #520 on: January 13, 2016, 02:32:32 am »

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #521 on: January 13, 2016, 05:28:48 am »
You're right the sample is too small.

Palace, West Ham, Newcastle, Watford, West Brom ( I'll leave out Exeter)

That is not a well-organised defence. Let's back him and give him time but equally let's not make premature claims of improvement
A number of those goals conceded under Klopp have been goalkeeping errors which no amount of defensive organisation is going to stop.

The response - bring Danny Ward back who will I think quickly become number 2.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: January 13, 2016, 05:31:53 am »
As for Caulker - a really smart signing for me.

No risk, still a good age and 2 years ago he was I think in the England squad. Made a bad move going to QPR although the idea of playing next to Rio Ferdinand for a year made sense re learning the game (plus stupid dough no doubt).

Very strong in the air and maybe just maybe can work his way into our centre back roster. Either way, having watched Ilori and Enrique on Friday and in JoGomez's absence, it is a sensible and cheap move.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #523 on: January 13, 2016, 07:33:52 am »
As for Caulker - a really smart signing for me.

No risk, still a good age and 2 years ago he was I think in the England squad. Made a bad move going to QPR although the idea of playing next to Rio Ferdinand for a year made sense re learning the game (plus stupid dough no doubt).

Very strong in the air and maybe just maybe can work his way into our centre back roster. Either way, having watched Ilori and Enrique on Friday and in JoGomez's absence, it is a sensible and cheap move.

Ilori was breathing out of his arse on 50 minutes so whilst he is an option for the return leg against Exeter it would be a massive gamble for Arsenal. Better to bring in a short term loan now and go for the real targets in the summer. Isn't Matip out of contract in the summer?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: January 13, 2016, 08:18:46 am »
I'm assuming our 'first picks' for centre back are not available at the moment. If they aren't available there's not much we can do about signing them. You've then got 3 choices: wait till the summer and go with what you've got OR buy a 2nd or 3rd pick and run the risk that you commit financially to someone who isn't your 1st pick OR get someone in on a short term contract or loan.

There's risk with all 3 options. Klopp has decided to go with a relatively low risk/low cost option.

I'm sure if our 1st pick players for any position are available and affordable in January then we'll try and sign them. I just don't think it's realistic for many players to be available or the club to have loads of cash to spend in this window. Realistically players will only be available in January if (a) they are out of favour at their current club, (b) playing outside of a top European league, or (c) you pay way over the odds to tempt a club into selling.

I think it's unlikely most of our 1st picks will be on the periphery of their current squads. If they were people here would be questioning their signing anyway. Beyond promising youngsters (like Grujic) I'd imagine most of our 1st picks are likely in most instances to be playing in a top European League and therefore difficult to obtain. I also don't think we have the funds to throw lots of money at the situation.

Caulker (or someone similar) versus going with what we already have is the real option that Klopp had to decide on. Given it's a low cost loan I don't really see the issue. I'd have Caulker playing ahead of Enrique, Lucas or Ilori at centre back personally. This signing suggests Klopp thinks the same way too.

Agree it's difficult to get the right quality. But that's kind of my point. We may not be able to get it now, so we sign someone else. If you do that once or twice, it's not a big deal. When you have done it over a longer period of time, it's different. Then that's what you've got. A team of backup players. This is also a reason why there could be less money available.

Caulker is likely to be a better CB than both Enrique and Lucas, probably better than Ilori as well. If we take the short term perspective, this signing makes a lot of sense. I just think we would have been better off, long term, had we gone with the players already at the club.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: January 13, 2016, 08:19:12 am »
British, premier league proven, tall, no injury problems, young and promising. Risky signing which could go either way so I'm excited.

EDIT: Oh and he will be man of the match against Arsenal. I'm accepting bets.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:21:40 am by pjshaun »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: January 13, 2016, 08:32:06 am »
Any chance someone can post a link to the video of Klopp explaining the Caulker signing yesterday please?

cheers :wave

Offline tommackay7

• Kemlynite
« Reply #527 on: January 13, 2016, 08:50:39 am »
throw him in tonight for a MOM performance lol

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: January 13, 2016, 10:28:26 am »
Did we ever get the list of 100 players better than Caulker we could sign?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: January 13, 2016, 10:36:12 am »
Any chance someone can post a link to the video of Klopp explaining the Caulker signing yesterday please?

cheers :wave

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WA4rbRN7ekU&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;a" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WA4rbRN7ekU&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;a</a>

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: January 13, 2016, 10:56:15 am »
Have people forgotten he's a Spurs lad, if he's in the team tonight he'll be well up for it!!

He's very good in the air to, the signing makes perfect sense to me

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: January 13, 2016, 10:58:11 am »
British, premier league proven, tall, no injury problems, young and promising. Risky signing which could go either way so I'm excited.

EDIT: Oh and he will be man of the match against Arsenal. I'm accepting bets.
Not being a dick or naysayer, but I would indeed agree that he is 'proven'. So far at least from what I have witnessed.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #532 on: January 13, 2016, 11:02:40 am »
I don't deny the necessity to find cover, I just wonder if Caulker was the best cover available. Is there no one better out there LFC could have brought in as emergency cover?
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: January 13, 2016, 11:06:11 am »
I don't deny the necessity to find cover, I just wonder if Caulker was the best cover available. Is there no one better out there LFC could have brought in as emergency cover?

“It was very important for us. In our situation, four weeks ago we didn’t know we’d have a problem with centre-halves because they were all in the race.

“At the start of the season, Joe Gomez was also in the squad, so a fifth centre-half - and then the situation changed completely. Now, we’ve had to make a decision whether we wanted to get another player for the position.

“The situation is Martin Skrtel is not available for around about the next four-and-a-half weeks, five weeks. Then we have the problem with Dejan – it’s only a little muscle injury. I think he’ll be available in one to one-and-a-half weeks.

“Then you have Mama with a little knee issue – he can play, but it’s not perfect and you cannot bring him three or four times in a row throughout the season. And it’s the same for Kolo and so would mean we are always in this situation, do we have enough or not? So we thought, ‘Yes, good idea’.

“We looked for Premier League experience because in this short time, you need that experience. We looked for a good header of the ball because that’s what we need – we want to play good pressing, we want to press the opponent and so they have to play long balls. If they play long balls, you need people in the last line who can help you with headers.

“And we’ve found it with Steven Caulker. He was not in the best situation in Southampton, didn’t play too much, but this is January and we want to have the best solution for us and we are absolutely convinced that Steven is the best solution for us.

“I am looking forward to working with him. He will be here today and then we can start working, so everything is good!”

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: January 13, 2016, 11:21:17 am »

To be honest mate, considering the situation to find someone last minute on loan who has premier league experience, some good attributes, willing to come considering he may only start very few games and not long ago before some bad moves was looking like an extremely promising young defender, I think it is a very good deal.

Besides the fact that Klopp and the team know a shit load more than me and others on here anyway so it doesn't matter, I trust it was by far the best decision on what was on offer at this time. If there was a better option available I am 100% certain Klopp would have went for it.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #535 on: January 13, 2016, 11:26:37 am »
Has he pulled his hammy yet?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: January 13, 2016, 11:52:10 am »
Has he pulled his hammy yet?
He is scheduled to be strapped into Melwood's hammy pulling machine right after the match tonight. :thumbup

“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #537 on: January 13, 2016, 11:52:15 am »
To be honest mate, considering the situation to find someone last minute on loan who has premier league experience, some good attributes, willing to come considering he may only start very few games and not long ago before some bad moves was looking like an extremely promising young defender, I think it is a very good deal.

Besides the fact that Klopp and the team know a shit load more than me and others on here anyway so it doesn't matter, I trust it was by far the best decision on what was on offer at this time. If there was a better option available I am 100% certain Klopp would have went for it.

*sigh* probably true. Klopp's comments 'he can head the ball' about sums it up really.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: January 13, 2016, 12:10:57 pm »
I thought that. I can only assume his heads up his arse at the speed of the move and the loan lean will be installed later today

"Signed on loan"

Anagram: Do sign, No lean

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #539 on: January 13, 2016, 12:26:51 pm »
He's been handed a fantastic opportunity. He's been signed by one of the biggest clubs in world football, he has a chance to play for and learn from one of the current crop of exciting new managers in the game and can experience European football this season.

If he doesn't rise to the occasion then he's been masquerading as a professional footballer or brain dead.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: January 13, 2016, 12:28:59 pm »
So with Matip now, apparently, coming in the summer on a free - does anyone still think Caulker is more than just an emergency loan ?

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #541 on: January 13, 2016, 12:35:21 pm »
So with Matip now, apparently, coming in the summer on a free - does anyone still think Caulker is more than just an emergency loan ?

I'd ask that question in a couple of months after we've had a chance to see how Caulker gets on.  I don't think its beyond the realm of possibility that we look to replace more than just Toure at centre-back next season, if Caulker impresses then maybe he'll give Klopp something to think about.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #542 on: January 13, 2016, 12:37:17 pm »
Konchesky with hair....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: January 13, 2016, 02:44:50 pm »
/snip

Cheers Caston lad

appreciated :wave

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #544 on: January 13, 2016, 02:46:06 pm »

Still think he can play his way into JK's long term thinking.  Might signal the end of Kolo.....
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: January 13, 2016, 02:49:36 pm »
Still think he can play his way into JK's long term thinking.  Might signal the end of Kolo.....

Think he'll need to play out of his skin. We also have Joe Gomez who I think is basically Kolo's replacement for next season. I think for Caulker to have a true future here, he'd have to replace one of Lovren, Skrtel or Sakho.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: January 13, 2016, 02:52:37 pm »
Think he'll need to play out of his skin. We also have Joe Gomez who I think is basically Kolo's replacement for next season. I think for Caulker to have a true future here, he'd have to replace one of Lovren, Skrtel or Sakho.

I think that could be a possibility if he plays a blinder and really impresses the boss.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #547 on: January 13, 2016, 02:55:07 pm »
Let's hope that he's not home alone in the defence when they attack
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #548 on: January 13, 2016, 02:55:22 pm »
Think we need to see how Caulker performs first.

However, with Klopp speaking specifically about the importance of Caulkers aerial ability against teams who try and beat the high press by playing the ball long, you have to wonder about the long term futures of Toure, Ilori and maybe even Skrtel.

Sakho, Lovren, Matip all look really strong in this area plus young Gomez will be back from injury next season. If Klopp sees Gomez as cover at full-back (I think he sees him at CB) then there is a possibility we may need another centre back as cover. 

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: January 13, 2016, 03:03:16 pm »
How about we just wait and see how he does, and, I don't know, hope he is excellent, helps us win games and give the manager some good problems to handle in terms of picking the team. Rather than some in here, who I would guess would love him to fuck up to show how great their judgement is.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #550 on: January 13, 2016, 03:07:37 pm »
http://www.empireofthekop.com/2016/01/13/steven-caulkers-first-liverpool-interview-i-know-what-theyre-capable-of/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

Steven Caulker cannot wait to get started and wants to be at Liverpool for many of years.

The centre-back completed his loan deal from QPR yesterday, after Southampton agreed to cancel his temporary contract at St. Mary’s.

The 24-year-old’s been given the no.19 and could be in line for a debut this evening if Mamadou Sakho doesn’t pass a late fitness test.

“It’s a club I’ve watched for many years,” he said, reported in the Echo.

“And I am very aware of the style in which they play and the expectations of the club. It’s a challenge I am very much looking forward to.

“It’d be nice to pull on a Liverpool shirt and walk out at Anfield – that’d be a very special moment. If I make a lot of appearances here, I’d be delighted and it’s something I’d be very proud of. If I can help the team in any way possible, that’d be a big plus to me.

“I don’t know what the future holds but for now it’s about taking each day as it comes, there’s a big game tomorrow and if I’m selected then I’ll obviously try my best to go out there and help the team.

“They don’t come much bigger than that (Arsenal). It’s a tough start but an exciting game and one every kid dreams of playing in. If I get the opportunity then I’ll be raring to go and looking forward to it.”

Caulker knows first hand how good Liverpool can be, having been part of the League Cup Saints side that lost 6-1 to Daniel Sturridge, Divock Origi and co.

Liverpool ripped him apart that day, and we hope he’s not on the receiving ends of any similar results from now until the end of the season!

“The team have obviously had a change of manager and that can sometimes be difficult, but I was on the receiving end of a battering from Liverpool so I know what they’re capable of and how good of a dressing room it is with a fantastic manager behind them,” he continued.

“It’s a team that can go all the way, it just needs to find rhythm, get the players back fit and who knows where it can end up at the end of the season?

“I am going to try my best to help the team to kick on and do great things. I am very honoured to hopefully wear the shirt one day and be a part of this club.”

With injuries to Martin Skrtel and Dejan Lovren, Caulker has a fantastic chance to get himself in the side of one of the country’s better teams.

At the start of the week he was owned by a Championship club and sat on the bench at Southampton, but now it’s all changed – and perhaps under Klopp he’ll fulfil his potential.

Caulker’s superb in the air, unlike some of our other centre-backs, which could give our defence something else.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #551 on: January 13, 2016, 03:09:10 pm »
welcome lad

ignore any hate and distractions....and take your chance!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: January 13, 2016, 03:11:19 pm »
"Signed on loan"

Anagram: Do sign, No lean

or

Sign on, do lean!

or

Son, do leaning!

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #553 on: January 13, 2016, 03:11:22 pm »
Whether or not Caulker is here next season depends on a few aspects, more or less in this order:

1. His performance in the next 6 months
2. Skrtel performance in the next 6 months (and Lovren's performance, but as Skrtel is 30 and not as strong aerially as Lovren I think he'd be the first to go out of them two,barring a big drop in Lovren's performance).
3. QPR agreeing to sell for a reasonable fee
4. How ready Gomez is deemed to be - i.e. is he fit and ready enough to be 4th CB for us, or would 5th be more appropriate?
5. Ilori's performance in the next 6 months.
6. Whether or not we have any long-term injuries stretching into next season.
7. Jordan Williams performance in the next 6 months and preseason (could be a candidate to be our 5th CB next season).

Basically, our CB options are as shown below. Toure will leave, as will Jones most likely; Ilori isn't very strong physically or good aerially which seems to be a key attribute for Klopp, so that makes it likely that he'll leave too.

Matip    Sakho
Skrtel    Lovren
Caulker Gomez
Toure    Ilori
Williams Jones
Cleary    Masterson

Caulker has probably been told that the aim is for him to be cover for 6 months, but if he impresses he has a chance of breaking into the "top 4" with us next season (presuming that QPR don't ask for a ridiculous fee).

The most likely scenario is the following imo:

Matip       Sakho
Gomez     Lovren
Williams   Cleary
Masterson

... with Toure, Ilori, and Jones leaving, and Caulker only being a 6 month loan.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:17:28 pm by rickardinho1 »

Offline Jules77

• Kopite
  • Spirit of Shankly member
« Reply #554 on: January 13, 2016, 03:49:34 pm »
I hope he puts in some top performances, becomes our first choice CB and bangs in a few goals at the other end from corners.

So much whining about it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #555 on: January 13, 2016, 04:36:14 pm »
Which side of the centre half pairing does he usually play on?  This sort of information is very important as everyone on RAWK knows.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #556 on: January 13, 2016, 04:37:22 pm »
Which side of the centre half pairing does he usually play on?  This sort of information is very important as everyone on RAWK knows.

On the right for the matches I've seen him.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: January 13, 2016, 06:29:44 pm »
Whether or not Caulker is here next season depends on a few aspects, more or less in this order:

1. His performance in the next 6 months
2. Skrtel performance in the next 6 months (and Lovren's performance, but as Skrtel is 30 and not as strong aerially as Lovren I think he'd be the first to go out of them two,barring a big drop in Lovren's performance).
3. QPR agreeing to sell for a reasonable fee
4. How ready Gomez is deemed to be - i.e. is he fit and ready enough to be 4th CB for us, or would 5th be more appropriate?
5. Ilori's performance in the next 6 months.
6. Whether or not we have any long-term injuries stretching into next season.
7. Jordan Williams performance in the next 6 months and preseason (could be a candidate to be our 5th CB next season).

Basically, our CB options are as shown below. Toure will leave, as will Jones most likely; Ilori isn't very strong physically or good aerially which seems to be a key attribute for Klopp, so that makes it likely that he'll leave too.

Matip    Sakho
Skrtel    Lovren
Caulker Gomez
Toure    Ilori
Williams Jones
Cleary    Masterson

Caulker has probably been told that the aim is for him to be cover for 6 months, but if he impresses he has a chance of breaking into the "top 4" with us next season (presuming that QPR don't ask for a ridiculous fee).

The most likely scenario is the following imo:

Matip       Sakho
Gomez     Lovren
Williams   Cleary
Masterson

... with Toure, Ilori, and Jones leaving, and Caulker only being a 6 month loan.
I am not entirely convinced that Matip - if it is true he has signed - will be the only CB we sign this summer

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #558 on: January 13, 2016, 06:40:33 pm »
I am not entirely convinced that Matip - if it is true he has signed - will be the only CB we sign this summer
Perhaps you're right. Sakho is boss though, and Lovren is excelling with Klopp so there's no need to replace either of them, or Gomez obviously.

What it really comes down to is whether Klopp is happy to have Gomez and Williams as 4/5th CB's, or if he wants another CB in the rotation. That could of course be Skrtel, or Ilori (if he's deemed good enough), or Caulker, but I wouldn't rule out an altogether alternative move.

However, if Klopp wanted another experienced CB then it would make far more sense to keep Skrtel or Caulker than to hunt for another one though. It's not easy finding experienced CB's who are happy to be 4th choice unless they are old like Toure or really expensive.

Caulker's aerial ability, PL experience, homegrown status, and low total cost would make it a smart move too (assuming that we wanted 5Cb's next season), probably more so than keeping Skrtel around as 4th choice (behind Sakho, Matip, and Lovren) on high wages while his value depreciates rapidly into his 30's.

This would be a very, very solid group of CB's, with most being very experienced and at a perfect age:

Matip (24)       Sakho (25)
Caulker* (24)  Lovren (26)
Gomez*(18)    Williams** (20)

*homegrown (Gomez becomes academy-grown after 2017/18).
*academy product so eligible for B-list.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:45:36 pm by rickardinho1 »

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: January 13, 2016, 06:44:16 pm »
Has Klopp even seen Gomez to know if he likes him?