Author Topic: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC  (Read 95321 times)

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC
« Reply #480 on: January 12, 2016, 09:10:54 pm »
It's not shexy, but it's shenshible....

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #481 on: January 12, 2016, 09:11:53 pm »
One word I liked Klopp using(and he's been using it a bit now) is: "mentality".
Not since Rafa have I heard that word much amongst our managers; and to be honest, I have more faith in him knowing what it means compared to everyone else since Rafa.

We had a "roster" filled with "mentality" a few years back and that was what made that 2008/2009 team so special. If we can only get a few players with that, we'll be on course.
Well we did have a team absolutely overflowing with character the past 3 years so not much change there really ;)

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #482 on: January 12, 2016, 09:11:56 pm »
Desperate times call for desperate measures and besides Klopp is doing great job with our defenders. He`ll make him look much better than he is. Sensible business by the club.

Klopp is going a great job with our defenders ?
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #483 on: January 12, 2016, 09:13:44 pm »
Thought it would be one of these joke threads when I opened it up, but it's not.  :o

Welcome to the lad, can't pass any judgment until he's stepped out on the pitch for us. Hopefully he can do a job until we get most our defenders back and fit.
Saw the opening 2 pages of the thread in the transfer forum this morning, then when I logged in it was locked, so I figured that some mod had locked it as it was bollocks... took me a few minutes to catch on haha

Offline Red an White Tea Party

• Anny Roader
  • How d'ya like them Onions barca?
« Reply #484 on: January 12, 2016, 09:26:51 pm »
Caulker, here to plug gaps. Willkommen Steven.  :wave 
If you ask Smalling and Brown if they'd rather play Suarez or Carroll, they'd say Suarez all day long, because he's not going to bully them or run in behind them.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #485 on: January 12, 2016, 09:27:23 pm »
The worst thing he did was agree to go to QPR.  He's a good player, I've seen enough of him at Swansea and Cardiff to know that that is the case, and he's suffered from playing in an awful team.  He's now got a massive opportunity to put his career back on track and work with one of the best managers in the game, hopefully he grabs it.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #486 on: January 12, 2016, 09:28:44 pm »
Klopp is going a great job with our defenders ?
Absolutely, Lovren and Moreno are much improved to how they played under BR while Clyne and Sakho are imperious as usual. It`s not a coincidence, Klopp is a student of Sacchi`s methods and he understands defensive organization much better than BR; it`s why someone like Lovren looks like top class since he took over as we are much more compact as a team and our CBs get much better protection than before.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2016, 09:31:39 pm »
Absolutely, Lovren and Moreno are much improved to how they played under BR while Clyne and Sakho are imperious as usual. It`s not a coincidence, Klopp is a student of Sacchi`s methods and he understands defensive organization much better than BR; it`s why someone like Lovren looks like top class since he took over as we are much more compact as a team and our CBs get much better protection than before.

I dont agree on Moreno being much improved. He is still as unreliable as ever but thats because he isnt that good not because of Klopp.

Also the defence still looks very vulnerable.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: January 12, 2016, 09:33:56 pm »
I dont agree on Moreno being much improved. He is still as unreliable as ever but thats because he isnt that good not because of Klopp.

We're still conceding pathetically soft , avoidable goals
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #489 on: January 12, 2016, 09:43:40 pm »
As far adding depth to our hamstrung squad goes, I say the more the merrier.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: January 12, 2016, 10:00:56 pm »
Welcome, and good luck.  ;)

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #491 on: January 12, 2016, 10:11:24 pm »
We're still conceding pathetically soft , avoidable goals

That may be so, but if you look at the records so far - Klopp has managed us 20 times so far, we have conceded 19 goals. Prior to that in 11 games we had conceded 13 goals. Admittedly the sample sizes aren't huge, but we are conceding fewer goals now than we were and it seems fair to argue that Klopp is therefore organising the defence better.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: January 12, 2016, 10:16:29 pm »
That may be so, but if you look at the records so far - Klopp has managed us 20 times so far, we have conceded 19 goals. Prior to that in 11 games we had conceded 13 goals. Admittedly the sample sizes aren't huge, but we are conceding fewer goals now than we were and it seems fair to argue that Klopp is therefore organising the defence better.

Its going to take time to see a really improved defence though, which is understanable. I am not sure i would put much weight on us being more solid under him just yet.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: January 12, 2016, 10:17:30 pm »

You're right the sample is too small.

Palace, West Ham, Newcastle, Watford, West Brom ( I'll leave out Exeter)

That is not a well-organised defence. Let's back him and give him time but equally let's not make premature claims of improvement

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: January 12, 2016, 10:33:17 pm »
Can't see what the fuss is about. Does anyone seriously expect we could sign a top class cb in January on such short notice, with experience of english football with no bedding in period.Doubt he's being paid massive wages and If all he is is solid between now and when we get someone back from injury then that's all we can ask. Short term solution but he is young enough to improve and if he plays himself into getting a permanent deal that's great if not thanks for filling in.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: January 12, 2016, 10:34:36 pm »
Good luck

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: January 12, 2016, 10:36:50 pm »
Good luck lad

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: January 12, 2016, 10:41:12 pm »
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/202958-caulker-why-i-m-looking-forward-to-liverpool-challenge

It's clear he understands what role he's going to take at the club. He's probably understood that if he wants to have any chance of making it at the very top level, he's going to HAVE to take this chance and Klopp has laid out exactly what he needs to do if he ever wants a future here past this summer.

Offline MihawkLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Meh.
« Reply #499 on: January 12, 2016, 10:42:40 pm »
Where's the Mats Hummels loan signing? I got told Klopp got connections to Dortmund, this is a disaster. Klopp out?
This is sarcasm.

Caulker is a sensible signing for no money at all these days who can only go on and get better at the age of 24. We saw him at Swansea when he was 22 and I doubt he lost his ability.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #500 on: January 12, 2016, 10:48:22 pm »

He's much better than last season, and is good, but that's for another thread.

Defense has looked better on the basis that we seem to be able to do both attack and defend now, whereas it was one or the other under Brendan. It's miles from perfect but you're not going to get that with a perpetually injured spine.

Hope Klopp reignites something Caulker, been drifting for years, if not then at the very least it's an extra body.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: January 12, 2016, 10:53:50 pm »
He's much better than last season, and is good, but that's for another thread.

Defense has looked better on the basis that we seem to be able to do both attack and defend now, whereas it was one or the other under Brendan. It's miles from perfect but you're not going to get that with a perpetually injured spine.

Hope Klopp reignites something Caulker, been drifting for years, if not then at the very least it's an extra body.

The defence is definitely better. The problem is any defence will look worse when the you're not scoring many goals at all. Right now, we are basically relying on our defence to win us games.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #502 on: January 12, 2016, 10:59:07 pm »
Right now, we are basically relying on our defence to win us games.
Exactly, it`s too much pressure on our defence to keep a clean sheet so we can win. The whole team is suffering due to lack of goals and is sapping a lot of confidence out of our players.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #503 on: January 12, 2016, 11:02:05 pm »
Skrtl out four 4-5 more weeks, Lovren over for maybe a couple, Sakho's back but his knee well kicked over and Toure not meant for back-to back games.....ok, given the parameters i guess its a fairly decent move, I mean we just played Illori and Enrique in the situation so thats Vastly on from there.

Kinda Meh about it otherwise but welcome aboard lad, feel free to realize all that potential that was so highly touted back in the day.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: January 12, 2016, 11:04:53 pm »
Made up Enrique won't be playing CB again,  welcome Steven.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #505 on: January 12, 2016, 11:07:17 pm »
I'd love it if we didn't bother with the fucking website and TV station and interviews ad nauseum and just let the lads train and play.

Hate having the "accessibility" of these millionaires rammed down my throat.

Anyway. Was sceptical at first but short term it can't be a bad thing. Hope it all goes well :)
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #506 on: January 12, 2016, 11:10:02 pm »
Its going to take time to see a really improved defence though, which is understanable. I am not sure i would put much weight on us being more solid under him just yet.

I don't think anyone has said we're the finished article, just that we've improved. What statistical evidence there is backs that up at the moment, albeit as I admitted the samples aren't really big enough.

You're right the sample is too small.

Palace, West Ham, Newcastle, Watford, West Brom ( I'll leave out Exeter)

That is not a well-organised defence. Let's back him and give him time but equally let's not make premature claims of improvement

That's 5 games, in 2 of which if you recall a goalkeeping error from a set piece was key to encouraging the opposition and definitely affected how we were going about our business. If you had included Exeter it was the case there too.

Prior to Klopp's arrival I don't recall the keepers dropping such severe clangers leading to goals this season. So you've got us well organised about 70-75% of the time and 50% of the remainder affected by significant goalkeeping errors that didn't happen in the Rodgers sample.

We have definitely improved. How much is debatable. And no-one is suggesting there's not more to do.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Rawkybalboa

• "I wouldn't have a clue..."
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • somebody puts his hand on u, send him2the grave
« Reply #507 on: January 12, 2016, 11:11:36 pm »
Those who were saying hes been relegated twice etc. Well so was a certain Stephane Henchoz.
Welcome. If hes anything like Henchoz and Hyppia then weve just possibly got Englands best defender.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #508 on: January 12, 2016, 11:18:13 pm »
Welcome, lad.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: January 12, 2016, 11:18:49 pm »
Imagine how Caulker must be feeling, he woke up as a bit part player at Southampton this morning, he's going to bed knowing he's working under Jurgen Klopp. Must be made up and chomping at the bit to impress!

Offline Rawkybalboa

• "I wouldn't have a clue..."
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • somebody puts his hand on u, send him2the grave
« Reply #510 on: January 12, 2016, 11:31:06 pm »
Imagine how Caulker must be feeling, he woke up as a bit part player at Southampton this morning, he's going to bed knowing he's working under Jurgen Klopp. Must be made up and chomping at the bit to impress!

Sounds a bit like the makings of a Dr Pepper ad  ;D

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2016, 11:50:23 pm »
Welcome Steven and good luck! We desperately need height at the back and he can at least provide that. A smart move by the looks of it.

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #512 on: January 13, 2016, 12:04:10 am »
Welcome Steven!  Good luck son!  Hope you get the opportunities to prove yourself and take them!
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #513 on: January 13, 2016, 12:13:01 am »
Welcome, Steven, lad. Go'ed, take your chance
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #514 on: January 13, 2016, 12:28:10 am »
I believe Klopp knows exactly which centre back he wants in the summer.

He doesn't want to compromise on an alternative player now on a permanent deal. I think we're quite lucky to find a player of Caulker's profile that is able to move to us on loan. I don't think Klopp expects Caulker to be around next year, but he knows he needs him while we go through the this injury crisis.

It's interesting that when Klopp is asked about signing Caulker, he just talks about the fact we needed to bring someone in because of the injuries. He doesn't lavish praise on the new signing in any way, apart from saying he can head the ball. I think Klopp is quite practical and realistic about the whole situation.

Klopp has big plans for the summer and he will be very careful about who we are willing to spend our money on.
It's going to be very exciting

Offline Chavasse1917

• Legacy Fan
  • “Winning trophies has made me put on weight.”
« Reply #515 on: January 13, 2016, 12:28:33 am »
Win win situation here.

Worst case scenario: we've spent what is essentially a nominal amount of money on someone who plays only a handful of games but provides a bit of cover in a position we are dangerously short on at the moment.

Best case scenario: he thrives here (different management style, different set-up, new start, whatever) and we get a reasonably young player who really kicks on and impresses. We then sign him in the summer.

I really don't see how anyone can complain. Actually, I do: people can complain because they want it all and they want it now (Sorry, Freddie). The way I see it we only had 2 options: get a loan deal in to cover this injury crisis or sign a first teamer. The overwhelming odds are that whoever we would want as a first teamer is not available at the moment, so why waste £5-6m on some half-way house player (bythe way, if we did sign that Inter Milan player, you can guarantee we would hear just as much complaining. Can't please some people).

So that leaves us with looking for a decent player available on loan. We have got that, and he's got the potential to be a lot more than that as well.

This is it in a nutshell. I wish everyone who is "underwhelmed" or worse would give the lad a chance to play before passing judgement.

Like a number of posters, I was surprised about this, had forgotten a lot about the fella but then when I thought about it, realised that its probably the best we could do in this window and who knows, he may prove himself here. After all he is a full England international ... (though of course so was Carlton Palmer)
"Everything has an end...except a sausage, which has two".

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #516 on: January 13, 2016, 12:30:18 am »
The lack of lean is a concern... ::)

I thought that. I can only assume his heads up his arse at the speed of the move and the loan lean will be installed later today
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:31:58 am by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: January 13, 2016, 01:01:34 am »
I think his basics are quite good. Not elite, but quite good. With a decent manager and Klopp is much more than a decent manager, we might see him do well. Decent signing given he's on loan and just a couple of years ago, we were fighting to bring him here when he was touted far more highly.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #518 on: January 13, 2016, 01:34:47 am »
A short term cover, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If he does turn out to perform above expectations, that is when more discussion should start. At the moment, he'll just slot in as a backup for our first choice centrebacks, nothing more, nothing less.

But don't let that get in the way of some overreaction hey. :wave
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #519 on: January 13, 2016, 02:17:25 am »
Such a quick transfer... wow
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.