Author Topic: What Are Your Totems While You are Watching Your Team's Matches?  (Read 9936 times)

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What Are Your Totems While You are Watching Your Team's Matches?
« Reply #40 on: January 9, 2014, 06:25:06 pm »
The only one I have is I never listen to Talkshite commentary. I have to work often early weekend mornings and my work involves a lot of driving so when the game is on the radio only has Talkshite commentary broadcasted through one of the Canadian radio stations. Whenever I turn on there commentary within 5-10 mins the opposition scores every time. I stopped listening to that now and just wait and watch the match later online. That and they put they can't afford a commentary box for there commentators, all you hear is the crowd noise. 

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #42 on: January 9, 2014, 06:42:23 pm »
there was a cracking phone-in about this on one of Danny Baker's footy shows many, many years ago.....one fella (a Man U fan as it happens) would flush the khazi and if he could get down the stairs to the front door and out of the house before the flush had finished he knew then they were going to win that day  ;D .......another caller - with terrible eyesight - said he used to 'punish' his team if they were playing badly by taking his glasses off so he was unable to see them play....and would only put them back on again if they scored, this , he said, was 'to teach them a lesson'  ;D .....footy fans are indeed fuckin nuts
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #43 on: January 9, 2014, 06:48:14 pm »
Don't have a set one but once I get it in my head that I might be wearing lucky pants, I can't change them until after our next game. So these ones ain't getting changed till Monday now.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 9, 2014, 06:49:29 pm »
If I'm watching at home wearing the Gerrard jersey that I bought on the day of the Olympiakos match (it literally started working from day 1).

If I'm watching at the pub always order the same beer (I rotate pub when we lose or have a "bad" draw and keep the same pub if we win or have a "good" draw, i.e. on a tough away or similar).
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 9, 2014, 06:51:03 pm »
there was a cracking phone-in about this on one of Danny Baker's footy shows many, many years ago.....one fella (a Man U fan as it happens) would flush the khazi and if he could get down the stairs to the front door and out of the house before the flush had finished he knew then they were going to win that day ;D .......another caller - with terrible eyesight - said he used to 'punish' his team if they were playing badly by taking his glasses off so he was unable to see them play....and would only put them back on again if they scored, this , he said, was 'to teach them a lesson'  ;D .....footy fans are indeed fuckin nuts

He must be getting old now. :)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #46 on: January 9, 2014, 06:53:11 pm »
once I get it in my head that I might be wearing lucky pants, I can't change them until after our next game.

Hope to fuck you don't think about footy in June...

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #47 on: January 9, 2014, 06:53:22 pm »
He must be getting old now. :)

He's a Yernited fan and sadly had his leg amputated in the summer.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 9, 2014, 08:16:08 pm »
Dont have anything as what i do has absolutely no influence on the result of the game.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 9, 2014, 08:41:59 pm »
I recently swore never listen to us on the radio. Usually watch all the games but if not I'd rather not have any coverage than listen to the radio, we ALWAYS lose, some examples...

Hull 3 - 1 Livepool - 2013
Bolton 3 - 1 Liverpool - 2012
Liverpool 1 -3 Villa - 2009

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #50 on: January 9, 2014, 08:50:13 pm »
I recently swore never listen to us on the radio. Usually watch all the games but if not I'd rather not have any coverage than listen to the radio, we ALWAYS lose, some examples...

Hull 3 - 1 Livepool - 2013
Bolton 3 - 1 Liverpool - 2012
Liverpool 1 -3 Villa - 2009

Bet on stoke city 3-1 and listen the game on the radio. If we win never mind money if we lose 3-1 again you'll get some money  ;)
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2014, 05:05:03 am »
I don't go on the matchday thread.  Whenever I go on, we would lose.  EVEN IF I ACCIDENTALLY CLICK IT :o
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline shinku

• Kemlynite
  • Ill-advised.
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2014, 08:55:48 am »
Will paint my nails red if it's the night before a match I really really want us to win.

In general, I avoid wearing blue nail polish, I think it brings my teams bad luck.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 10:41:03 am »
Will paint my nails red if it's the night before a match I really really want us to win.

In general, I avoid wearing blue nail polish, I think it brings my teams bad luck.
How many teams have you got? ???
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 10:45:06 am »
When i'm at the match none, if i'm watching it from the comfort of me home though it depends, say we concede a goal and i'm sat down i'll stand and vice versa. Sometime's i'll stand the whole match if we're doing well.

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 11:33:57 am »

I am confused. Why do you prefer blue? I hope you will not wear them at a liverpool pub  ;)

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 11:45:14 am »
I am confused. Why do you prefer blue? I hope you will not wear them at a liverpool pub  ;)

avoid - keep away from or stop oneself from doing (something).

E.g. "avoid painting your nails blue"

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 11:47:37 am »
avoid - keep away from or stop oneself from doing (something).

E.g. "avoid painting your nails blue"

Oops. Really sorry my mistake  ;)

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 11:49:30 am »
How?

Dear me, that made me laugh far more than it should

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 11:52:14 am »
Oops. Really sorry my mistake  ;)

;) No blue nail varnish around here!

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2014, 01:39:56 pm »
Don't bother usually at the match apart from in 2005 one of my mates noticed on photos I'd had the same bright blue t-shirt on for the Champions League games so i wore it for the Olympicos game which we won so it ended up going all the way to Istanbul. And I never work out how many points we'll have if we win a game before the game is played.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2014, 01:47:32 pm »
Never used to, now I have the tendency to wear the away top when we're at home and vice versa.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2014, 01:50:26 pm »
And I never work out how many points we'll have if we win a game before the game is played.

3 points for a win mate.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2014, 02:00:55 pm »
I have a 2008-09 Gerrard 8 home shirt but I've become superstitious about wearing it during matches as the times I've worn it, Gerrard's been red carded, missed a pen or we've generally played shite. Pretty silly if I think about it though.
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline dylman

• Main Stander
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2014, 02:44:32 pm »
I have noticed a pattern over the last couple of years:  if I can't get to the match, or to a pub to watch the game, then the quality of our performance is directly related to the quality of the stream that I'm watching.
The better quality the stream, the worse we play.  If it's a HD stream we're guaranteed to play shite and lose, but if the stream is that bad that I can't make out the players or the ball (with commentary in Russian) then we'll play well.

This correlation is almost infallible, I'm hesitant to watch streams at all these days, which I believe is why we're doing OK this year.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2014, 02:48:44 pm »
Why don't all you jinxy twats just stop doing whatever it is that causes us to lose?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2014, 03:08:14 pm »
I have noticed a pattern over the last couple of years:  if I can't get to the match, or to a pub to watch the game, then the quality of our performance is directly related to the quality of the stream that I'm watching.
The better quality the stream, the worse we play.  If it's a HD stream we're guaranteed to play shite and lose, but if the stream is that bad that I can't make out the players or the ball (with commentary in Russian) then we'll play well.

This correlation is almost infallible, I'm hesitant to watch streams at all these days, which I believe is why we're doing OK this year.

I can watch every game 144p quaity :D just win all games

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2014, 03:09:18 pm »
Why don't all you jinxy twats just stop doing whatever it is that causes us to lose?

;D calm down

Offline shinku

• Kemlynite
  • Ill-advised.
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2014, 09:00:50 pm »
How many teams have you got? ???

Well I've got my home team, the Portland Timbers, whom I support because it's my home team, and I've got you all.

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2014, 02:15:20 pm »
today we will test our totems :D

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2014, 02:22:13 pm »

amongst many...but this is the only one that seems to work.

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2014, 02:29:32 pm »
I never check the livescore app on my mobile on matchday until after our game is over.  I've done it a couple of times and we always lost.

I know it's all bollox but there it is. ;D

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2014, 02:32:07 pm »
When i'm at the match none, if i'm watching it from the comfort of me home though it depends, say we concede a goal and i'm sat down i'll stand and vice versa. Sometime's i'll stand the whole match if we're doing well.
safe standing at it's best. ;D
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2014, 02:36:42 pm »
Re Istanbul : I was sat with me sister downstairs for the first 45, obviously 3_0 down, I said fuck this im going upstairs to watch it by myself, so I did. Then when the first went in she was like come and watch it with her but I refused and she kept asking me but I felt like we were doing alright with me up here so is stayed there till Shevchenko missed his pen  :)

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2014, 08:53:00 pm »
last week our totems worked, what about this game?  ;)

Offline Ari.Gold

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2014, 11:36:11 pm »
always wearing something with  liverbird logo  8)

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2014, 12:18:21 pm »
here we go. another match day!  :scarf :scarf

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2014, 12:53:18 pm »
I record the game. Then check the result and if we have won then I watch it....works every time 😜
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Wrigley

• Anny Roader
  • To Lead, You must follow.
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2014, 01:00:51 pm »
It always seems to me that the outcome of the game is based solely on my contribution to you'll never walk alone at the start, If I don't put full effort in that seems to translate to the players.

'The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.' -Bill Shankly

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2014, 01:24:34 pm »
Whenever I give up something important in order to watch the match, eg going gym or boxing classes, we always seem to lose. I'm giving the gym a miss again tonight to watch. If we lose, it's my fault :(