Author Topic: Liverpool sign Emre Can  (Read 206041 times)

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool sign Emre Can
« Reply #560 on: July 25, 2014, 05:31:53 pm »
I think we should all calm down and let the guy get his feet under the proverbial desk first.
YNWA.

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #561 on: July 25, 2014, 06:08:13 pm »
I think we should all calm down and let the guy get his feet under the proverbial desk piano first.

Fixed  ;)

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #562 on: July 25, 2014, 07:29:40 pm »
In the few outings I have seen I am reminded of one of my all time favourite reds, Ray Kennedy. He moves in a similar way, the upright, head up running style and Ray was a big lad too. I hope he is as successful as the big man was.

YNWA Ray Kennedy.
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #563 on: July 25, 2014, 07:46:10 pm »
Other rumor says he is cousin of Jackie Chan hence Emre Chan

Wrong. It's Charlie
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #564 on: July 25, 2014, 07:52:26 pm »
It's pure heresy, but here goes...

If this lad progresses as quickly as could be the case, how about playing the skipper at CB?

He could do it, because he has the tools. And that "soft centre" in midfield that so many posters allude to, would be less of a problem, because SG's legs wouldn't be an issue.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #565 on: July 25, 2014, 09:49:52 pm »
It's pure heresy,

Should have stopped there.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: July 25, 2014, 11:33:20 pm »

If this lad progresses as quickly as could be the case, how about playing the skipper at CB?

He could do it, because he has the tools. And that "soft centre" in midfield that so many posters allude to, would be less of a problem, because SG's legs wouldn't be an issue.

Unless we played a very deep line he'd get shredded by a fast striker, he already has issues tracking runners for 90 minutes. IMO Gerrard's biggest weakness has always been discipline/concentration, don't think he'd suit CB
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Tactical Genius

• Kemlynite
« Reply #567 on: July 26, 2014, 12:17:48 am »
I know it sends people mental, but Stevie at centre back is the logical progression eventually. Lothar Mattheus was the blueprint for Stevie's progression, and he was still playing at the top level at 42.

Mattehaus was a box-to-box attacking midfielder, who dropped to a deep lying playmaker roll as his legs failed him and eventually played as a sweeper, he won German footballer of the year aged 38 and no doubt other people here can tell you what else he did post 40.

Point is, there's no shame in it.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #568 on: July 26, 2014, 01:00:17 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/78gt7pfjlCU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/78gt7pfjlCU</a>

Boss!
We are Liverpool!

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #569 on: July 26, 2014, 01:40:22 am »
I know it sends people mental, but Stevie at centre back is the logical progression eventually. Lothar Mattheus was the blueprint for Stevie's progression, and he was still playing at the top level at 42.

Mattehaus was a box-to-box attacking midfielder, who dropped to a deep lying playmaker roll as his legs failed him and eventually played as a sweeper, he won German footballer of the year aged 38 and no doubt other people here can tell you what else he did post 40.

Nah mate I really don't think so. He's good aerially, but not good enough to play center half IMO. I think this "quarterback" role is where he'll retire, although I do think he has a good 2-3 years in him still.

What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #570 on: July 26, 2014, 01:40:44 am »
Okay, he's looking a bit tidy isn't he? Very impressed with him and Ibe thus far.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: July 26, 2014, 01:47:55 am »
Good to have a bigger player (amongst his many other qualities). All the best teams have a balance of small agile players and big units to help defend set pieces etc. Also he has great agility for a big player. One thing I notices late in the first half was he shut down a player on the left side right before they could get a cross in. Something our fullbacks often seem loathe to do...
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #572 on: July 26, 2014, 01:57:44 am »
I like that he has that competitive edge and angriness when needed. His response when he was fouled was nice for instance.

He had that "I am the boss here" attitude when needed and I think as a team we need this especially in the defensive end,
so I hope Lovren is a bit similar in that regard too.
Skrtel and Agger both have that though...
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #573 on: July 26, 2014, 11:14:59 am »
Not big on pre-season friendlies to judge anything, but Can really caught the eye again and again against Roma.  More than I was expecting to be honest - was thinking he would ease into it because of the niggle he previously picked up.  Looked really up for it & showed promise - skill/power/brain.

Also, if he is already pushing for that German squad then it's all good.

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: July 26, 2014, 01:58:03 pm »

That would undoubtedly be a disaster.

Offline L.Suarez

• Kopite
  • When there snow hope, support.
« Reply #575 on: July 26, 2014, 03:03:15 pm »
That's a midfield:

Gerrard

Can             Henderson

With Lallana out of the first games he will get a chance IMO.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #576 on: July 26, 2014, 03:26:00 pm »
Can Gerrard Henderson?

Or can Henderson Gerrard?

These are the hot topics of the summer.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: July 26, 2014, 03:28:50 pm »

Sweeper is a different position than a central defender. You essentially have a free role behind the "actual" defence, so you aren't "in the action" as much, and can choose your moments to go forward.

We don't play with a sweeper, and the position is almost extinct in modern football - certainly the way Matthaus played it. So the comparison is not quite right. Gerrard has all the experience, intelligence and insight to be a central defender - but not in a Brendan Rodgers team. He would be exposed too much in space, with no back-up behind him at close quarters the way he has right now.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #578 on: July 26, 2014, 03:37:07 pm »
Can looks good, I think we have to stomach the phasing out of Gerrard (he's no centre-back).

Although I expect Can will play quite a few games ahead of Stevie next to Henderson in the early part of the season.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #579 on: July 26, 2014, 03:38:31 pm »
Can Gerrard Henderson?

Can, Gerrard, Henderson for me mate.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #580 on: July 26, 2014, 03:39:54 pm »
With Lallana out of the first games he will get a chance IMO.

I would've thought Lallana would be playing further forward anyway.

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
« Reply #581 on: July 26, 2014, 04:21:40 pm »
I think this idea if playing Can and hendo at the same time is no good, it'll lead to a very defensive lineup and well struggle to break down weaker opposition. Instead I'd like to see him play in place of Stevie or Hendo and at least one more creative player in the center of the park be it Llanna or Allan maybe even couthino
Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: July 26, 2014, 04:24:43 pm »
I think this idea if playing Can and hendo at the same time is no good, it'll lead to a very defensive lineup and well struggle to break down weaker opposition. Instead I'd like to see him play in place of Stevie or Hendo and at least one more creative player in the center of the park be it Llanna or Allan maybe even couthino

Did you not see him burst forward with the ball? And Henderson is hardly your common-or-garden defensive mid. They are both box-to-box mids, with different starting points on the field. Their late runs into the box, or Can's ability to run past players while having them bounce off him, will create some good attacking opportunities.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #583 on: July 26, 2014, 05:00:24 pm »
Did you not see him burst forward with the ball? And Henderson is hardly your common-or-garden defensive mid. They are both box-to-box mids, with different starting points on the field. Their late runs into the box, or Can's ability to run past players while having them bounce off him, will create some good attacking opportunities.

He's got a real turn of pace for a big lad and he's surprisingly nimble and skilful with the ball too.

If he was 5ft 8 and 10 stone, he'd make a wonderful winger !
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #584 on: July 26, 2014, 05:25:46 pm »

To me, Henderson is no variety of 'defensive mid'. Not yet, at least.

One of Gerrard-Lucas as the 1, and Can and Henderson as the '2' (even in a 1-2-1 midfield 4 setup) could be outstanding against potent opposition. In a 1-2-1 setup, any forward 1 can 'rest easy' that the people 'behind' him have his proverbial 'back' in such a scenario.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: July 26, 2014, 06:10:33 pm »

One of Gerrard-Lucas as the 1, and Can and Henderson as the '2' (even in a 1-2-1 midfield 4 setup) could be outstanding against potent opposition. In a 1-2-1 setup, any forward 1 can 'rest easy' that the people 'behind' him have his proverbial 'back' in such a scenario.
I reckon BR's generally preferred midfield this season will be Gerrard as the '1' and a '2' of Henderson and Coutinho. In the medium-to-long term, I think he'll look at bringing in Can for Henderson.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Henderson and Can together a bit this season though.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #586 on: July 26, 2014, 06:11:21 pm »
Can Gerrard Henderson?

I think Henderson might be able to Gerrard a bit on occasion with the right wind behind him, but I don't think Gerrard is able to Henderson much these days.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: July 26, 2014, 06:43:23 pm »

Gerrard as a central defender is a car crash, you make him play in a position where his biggest weaknesses would be exposed over and over again, he is fantastic at passing the ball at any distance and opening teams up, rather see him another few seasons as a top player rather than 4 or 5 as a liability

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: July 26, 2014, 06:48:25 pm »

Can isn't rapid, but he's got torque, german torque, if he was a car he'd be a Porsche cayenne

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: July 26, 2014, 11:26:46 pm »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #590 on: July 26, 2014, 11:30:06 pm »
I know it sends people mental, but Stevie at centre back is the logical progression eventually.

Might want to re-think that username lad.

Also this is the Emre Can thread.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #591 on: July 26, 2014, 11:36:10 pm »
Himself and Henderson in midfield could blossom into a monstrous partnership.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #592 on: July 26, 2014, 11:40:56 pm »
I reckon BR's generally preferred midfield this season will be Gerrard as the '1' and a '2' of Henderson and Coutinho. In the medium-to-long term, I think he'll look at bringing in Can for Henderson.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Henderson and Can together a bit this season though.
I'd be surprised if Lallana wasn't first choice in midfield this season given his off-the-ball qualities. He's like a merger of Allen and Coutinho which is perfect for our style. Of course "first choice" is a term that applies less and less in modern football, but in weeks when we only have one game against a decent opponent I'd wager that he'd be picked more often than not.

Its fantastic to have the option of whether to play Coutinho or Lallana though. I think opposition managers are going to have a tough time predicting who we'll play and which formation to prepare for defensively given the multitude of options available.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Can-Henderson in away games though, with Sterling-Sturridge-Markovic ahead of them cutting teams apart on the counter. Its gonna be good with so many options! :)

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: July 26, 2014, 11:59:40 pm »
I'd be surprised if Lallana wasn't first choice in midfield this season given his off-the-ball qualities. He's like a merger of Allen and Coutinho which is perfect for our style. Of course "first choice" is a term that applies less and less in modern football, but in weeks when we only have one game against a decent opponent I'd wager that he'd be picked more often than not.

Its fantastic to have the option of whether to play Coutinho or Lallana though. I think opposition managers are going to have a tough time predicting who we'll play and which formation to prepare for defensively given the multitude of options available.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Can-Henderson in away games though, with Sterling-Sturridge-Markovic ahead of them cutting teams apart on the counter. Its gonna be good with so many options! :)
Formation is an interesting one; I think our current options in the squad lend themselves to being able to play a lot of different shapes. In my opinion, Allen, Henderson, Can and Coutinho all best suit playing in the no.8 position. Looking at that, 4-3-3 would suit us. And yet you have Lallana, whose best position is probably as a no.10, Sterling, who I think really works well as a no.10 and Markovic, who I think will most fulfill his potential by permanently becoming a no.10 in the future, as well Coutinho and Henderson who have both played well as no.10s before. That would point away from a 4-3-3 and maybe towards a 4-2-3-1

It's going to be really interesting to see what Rodgers does with that. I wouldn't like to predict which one he will generally prefer to go with this season (of course, the fact we have plenty of options to play a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 brings in the diamond midfield as an option as well, where you play four midfielders). I do think we'll see a similar flexibility to last season though.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #594 on: July 27, 2014, 12:13:14 am »
Formation is an interesting one; I think our current options in the squad lend themselves to being able to play a lot of different shapes. In my opinion, Allen, Henderson, Can and Coutinho all best suit playing in the no.8 position. Looking at that, 4-3-3 would suit us. And yet you have Lallana, whose best position is probably as a no.10, Sterling, who I think really works well as a no.10 and Markovic, who I think will most fulfill his potential by permanently becoming a no.10 in the future, as well Coutinho and Henderson who have both played well as no.10s before. That would point away from a 4-3-3 and maybe towards a 4-2-3-1

It's going to be really interesting to see what Rodgers does with that. I wouldn't like to predict which one he will generally prefer to go with this season (of course, the fact we have plenty of options to play a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 brings in the diamond midfield as an option as well, where you play four midfielders). I do think we'll see a similar flexibility to last season though.
As long as Gerrard is first-choice I'd be surprised if we went back to the 4231. He's far more effective as a "midfield sweeper" than having to do a lot of running defensively. The 1-2 midfield in a 433 also lends itself more effectively to a high-pressing game imo, given that you have two central midfielders in more advanced central positions rather than just one.

If we do end up signing attacking fullbacks like Manquillo and/or Moreno though it could be wise to draw another midfielder back slightly though to avoid being outnumbered on the counter. Having fullbacks pressing up higher would allow our wingers to tuck-in to compensate for the drop in numbers in advanced central positions when having two defensive mids instead of just one.

Then we also have the 442 diamond (or 4312 if you will) that would allow even more freedom to the fullbacks to get forward.

I'm already looking forward to trying to guess our approach to games, though I'm not sure opposition managers are!  :D

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:39 am »
As long as Gerrard is first-choice I'd be surprised if we went back to the 4231. He's far more effective as a "midfield sweeper" than having to do a lot of running defensively. The 1-2 midfield in a 433 also lends itself more effectively to a high-pressing game imo, given that you have two central midfielders in more advanced central positions rather than just one.

If we do end up signing attacking fullbacks like Manquillo and/or Moreno though it could be wise to draw another midfielder back slightly though to avoid being outnumbered on the counter. Having fullbacks pressing up higher would allow our wingers to tuck-in to compensate for the drop in numbers in advanced central positions when having two defensive mids instead of just one.

Then we also have the 442 diamond (or 4312 if you will) that would allow even more freedom to the fullbacks to get forward.

I'm already looking forward to trying to guess our approach to games, though I'm not sure opposition managers are!  :D
I do think it's more likely we stick with either 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 diamond. But 4-2-3-1, especially with the signing of Lallana, is a very definite option I think.

As you say, it's going to be hard for opposing managers to try and prepare for what Rodgers will do!

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: July 27, 2014, 01:06:59 am »

Except last season Henderson WAS our defensive midfielder, he was our ball winner and did the defensive running of Gerrard along with Coutinho. What we don't have at the moment is someone defensive who can play in Gerrards role and be more of a protector, i'm hoping Can can become that.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #597 on: July 27, 2014, 01:49:40 am »
Sweeper is a different position than a central defender. You essentially have a free role behind the "actual" defence, so you aren't "in the action" as much, and can choose your moments to go forward.

We don't play with a sweeper, and the position is almost extinct in modern football - certainly the way Matthaus played it. So the comparison is not quite right. Gerrard has all the experience, intelligence and insight to be a central defender - but not in a Brendan Rodgers team. He would be exposed too much in space, with no back-up behind him at close quarters the way he has right now.

I challenge you to trial by combat. You try taking away my dream of Gerrard in a back three then you best come swinging, son.

I also look forward to seeing Can at centerback in the cups next season.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #598 on: July 27, 2014, 01:57:56 am »
I challenge you to trial by combat. You try taking away my dream of Gerrard in a back three then you best come swinging, son.

I also look forward to seeing Can at centerback in the cups next season.
Living up to your Username there by taking on the master himself mate!  :o ;D

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: July 27, 2014, 01:59:35 am »
Glen Johnson as DM