Author Topic: Liverpool sign Emre Can  (Read 206040 times)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Re: Liverpool sign Emre Can
« Reply #520 on: July 24, 2014, 10:12:15 pm »
I don't think we'll play with a dedicated DM though, in the way most people understand it. We'll play with one player having overall responsibility, but ultimately, it should be a fluid triangle in midfield with each player capable of doing the job. Even Gerrard there isn't an actual "DM" - he's a deep-lying central midfielder. Almost a midfield sweeper, in the way a true defensive sweeper is - playing behind the line, but not really having the same tasks as the players in front.

Fair enough but its hard to see him as a deep lying central midfielder either :)

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: July 24, 2014, 10:24:31 pm »
Not good on systems. Perhaps a possible Gerrard-less midfield has a 2-1 shape? Not two deep-lying ones, but two tactically astute, defensively adept midfielders capable of doing a job in either half? Attacking midfielder like Sterling, Coutinho or Lallana playing ahead of them. I suppose a less offensive formation could even be Can, Hendo and Allen midfield, one with the defensive responsibility, but all capable of switching it up and bringing the ball forward with another covering.

I think I'm basically agreeing with PoP actually. Probably not very well like.  :D

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #522 on: July 25, 2014, 12:18:32 am »
In big games Can and Henderson along side Gerrard please
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: July 25, 2014, 12:27:05 am »
Big,strong, uses both feet well, has good technical ability, and drives with the ball without fear. A good presence in midfield from the looks of it so far. Midfield general written all over him, very excited about the potential he has.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #524 on: July 25, 2014, 12:41:21 am »
He's a fucking unit.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #525 on: July 25, 2014, 12:57:59 am »
If one could purchase stock in footballers, I'd be investing heavily in this lad. If he stays healthy and is given time I really think we'll have one hell of a footballer on our hands. The athleticism and industry of Can and Henderson could run teams into the ground.

Not good on systems. Perhaps a possible Gerrard-less midfield has a 2-1 shape? Not two deep-lying ones, but two tactically astute, defensively adept midfielders capable of doing a job in either half? Attacking midfielder like Sterling, Coutinho or Lallana playing ahead of them. I suppose a less offensive formation could even be Can, Hendo and Allen midfield, one with the defensive responsibility, but all capable of switching it up and bringing the ball forward with another covering.

I think I'm basically agreeing with PoP actually. Probably not very well like.  :D

A decent way of looking at it for me is to compare it to the two sides in the WC Final. I think what we're aiming to move towards is a midfield more in the mold of what Germany planned on playing with Schweinsteiger, Khedira, and Kroos. Three players who are all technically proficient, mobile, and tactically aware, but none beholden to a single defensive role. Compare that to Argentina whose midfield very much revolved around that one defensive role performed by Mascherano. When I look at our squad I think we have a number of young players who could all fit quite nicely into the former setup (Henderson, Can, Allen, Lallana amongst the senior side; the likes of Rossiter, Brannagan, Lussey, and Phillips on the way up). Lucas is probably the only player at the club over the age of 16 who you'd consider an out and out defensive midfielder in the Argentine mold.
Justice For The 96

Offline AshTJ

• Kopite
    • www.twitter.com/ashtjay
« Reply #526 on: July 25, 2014, 01:31:40 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sZNhl-CVjPo?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sZNhl-CVjPo?fs=1</a>
Twitter - @ashtjay
Youtube - www.youtube.com/user/ashtjproductions

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #527 on: July 25, 2014, 02:39:24 am »
Yep,just like you described in your post "Jan. In Turkish, C is a j sound, Ē is ch and Ş is sh."

When I watched yesterday's match clip and each time I heard "Shaun", i actually got excited for a second because I thought we had a new player from Liverpool youngsters that was named Shaun or something ;)

http://www.forvo.com/word/emre_can/

There basically isn't a way phonetically to spell his last name such that an English-speaking person who doesn't ALREADY know the correct pronunciation will read it and pronounce it perfectly correctly.

(I have the same issue with the English spelling of my Greek last name. There is no way to spell it such that it would be pronounced properly by those who do not already know its correct pronunciation).
Ludi Circenses!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #528 on: July 25, 2014, 02:42:12 am »

There basically isn't a way phonetically to spell his last name such that an English-speaking person who doesn't ALREADY know the correct pronunciation will read it and pronounce it perfectly correctly.

(I have the same issue with the English spelling of my Greek last name. There is no way to spell it such that it would be pronounced properly by those who do not already know its correct pronunciation).

I don't think it's too difficult to pronounce "Lucas", Stav :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: July 25, 2014, 02:44:24 am »
I don't think it's too difficult to pronounce "Lucas", Stav :D

Wouldn't it be Leiva, then, Mister?

Btw, well played!  :wave
Ludi Circenses!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: July 25, 2014, 02:44:53 am »
Wouldn't it be Leiva, then, Mister?

Btw, well played!  :wave

:D

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: July 25, 2014, 03:27:36 am »

Think the closest phonetically would be Imray John....
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: July 25, 2014, 03:58:46 am »
Think the closest phonetically would be Imray John....

But it's NOT John as English folks pronounce John. It's between John and Jahn, I suppose.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #533 on: July 25, 2014, 04:02:54 am »
John Inman it is then.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #534 on: July 25, 2014, 05:09:41 am »
Big,strong, uses both feet well, has good technical ability, and drives with the ball without fear. A good presence in midfield from the looks of it so far. Midfield general written all over him, very excited about the potential he has.

Really the type of player that we haven't had for an awfully long time. If he has a good International Champions Cup, I'd be surprised if he didn't force his way in to the first 11 for Southampton, or at least give Rodgers a big selection dilemma.
YWNA

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #535 on: July 25, 2014, 05:51:47 am »
And learning from legend Steve himself.

"Look, don't fret it if the DJ won't play your song".
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: July 25, 2014, 05:56:31 am »
Colour me impressed.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Mcnutty

• Main Stander
« Reply #537 on: July 25, 2014, 06:22:03 am »
2:18 - 2:33 =  8)
"And it goes Liverpool's way again as Reina makes a second save. He's going to out Dudek  Dudek."

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: July 25, 2014, 08:31:52 am »
By the way,in a related story,"Can" means "soul","life","heart","spirit" in Turkish ;)

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #539 on: July 25, 2014, 08:37:40 am »
John Inman it is then.
I'm free.. unlike Emre who cost a few quid  :P Looking forward to seeing this guy develop; could become an excellent player for us.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #540 on: July 25, 2014, 08:47:41 am »
Dzan ....it works for me ;)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Irakla

• Anny Roader
  • Joe "The real deal" Gomez
« Reply #541 on: July 25, 2014, 10:48:29 am »
Don't know how to embed Youtube video but here he pronounces his surname very clearly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53rFWjb2A8w
and it's Emre Djan
Apparently Paolo Maldini has a Joe Gomez poster hung on his bedroom wall

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #542 on: July 25, 2014, 10:56:03 am »
Looks a potential monster doesn't he, that burst of pure athletic pace alongside what looks like incredible strength is reminiscent of Stevie at the peak of his powers, Yaya Toure or Patrick Viera. A long way to go of course and a lot of work/polishing for Brendan to do yet but for £9-10million he could be an absolute bargain. Looking forward to seeing him alongside Hendo once he's fully up to speed with the English game.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #543 on: July 25, 2014, 11:25:13 am »
Looking forward to seeing him alongside Hendo once he's fully up to speed with the English game.

That's a midfield:

Gerrard

Can             Henderson

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: July 25, 2014, 11:31:06 am »
Built like a fucking tank, and pretty quick for a guy his size. Excellent in the way he always presses the opponent and his passing seems quite crisp.

Don't mean to read too much into a preseasn friendly, but he looks like a great talent.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #545 on: July 25, 2014, 11:33:22 am »
That's a midfield:

Gerrard

Can             Henderson

Once they're all up to speed, that's the midfield i'd expect to see us go into the big games with, maybe pushing Lallana into a wide forward role. Against lesser teams we may see Lallana take Can's position, in order to get another forward in the team.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: July 25, 2014, 11:36:33 am »
Looks good from the video a few posts above, and have definitely improved his form considerably judging on his 20 minutes vs Preston, where he looked very slow.

He has very good control and have a very good football mind. Plus it seems he is not afraid of the physical contact and standing his ground, when the small "terriers" are doing their worst (the likes of Cattermole, etc). Although he needs to work on is his passing lanes, as most of his passes were backwards or sidewards, but that will come with better fitness and mobility to find the small pockets where he can set the play better.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:37:35 pm by Geezer08 »

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: July 25, 2014, 11:38:48 am »
Looks good from the video a few posts above, and have definitely improved his form considerably judging on his 20 minutes vs Preston, where he looked very slow.

He has very good control and have a very good football mind. Plus it seems he is not afraid of the physical contact and standing his ground, when the small "terriers" are doing there worst (the likes of Cattermole, etc). Although he needs to work on his passing lanes, as most of his passes were backwards or sidewards, but that will come with better fitness and mobility to find the small pockets where he can set the play better.
Did we watch the same player against Preston ?  I thought he was the best player on the pitch until he got injured, certainly didn't look slow.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: July 25, 2014, 11:48:44 am »
Looks a potential monster doesn't he, that burst of pure athletic pace alongside what looks like incredible strength is reminiscent of Stevie at the peak of his powers, Yaya Toure or Patrick Viera. A long way to go of course and a lot of work/polishing for Brendan to do yet but for £9-10million he could be an absolute bargain. Looking forward to seeing him alongside Hendo once he's fully up to speed with the English game.

I think the Vieira comparison is a fair shout when it comes to style of play. Looks to boss the midfield and likes to make barnstorming runs towards the box.

This guy should really prevent our over-reliance on Hendo.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #549 on: July 25, 2014, 11:57:51 am »
Once they're all up to speed, that's the midfield i'd expect to see us go into the big games with, maybe pushing Lallana into a wide forward role. Against lesser teams we may see Lallana take Can's position, in order to get another forward in the team.

That's exactly how I see it. We Can also look at

Can
                          Hendo        Allen

I think.

This boy looks the gravvy. Over a 2 year period, I'd invest heavily in Liverpool.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: July 25, 2014, 12:00:40 pm »
Can't wait to see him play with our real attack out there - like DeFacto said, he's really got that "midfield general" vibe. I think that regardless of whether or not they set the world alight in their first season here, Can and Markovic are going to feel like pretty fantastic signings by the time the Suarez fervor has worn off.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #551 on: July 25, 2014, 12:00:40 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/78gt7pfjlCU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/78gt7pfjlCU</a>
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: July 25, 2014, 12:03:45 pm »
Big game player too. As alluded to above, I don't think he's the kind of guy who we need against smaller teams so much. A midfield of Gerrard, Henderson/Can and Coutinho/Lallana would be ideal when we're looking to be more attacking and aggressive. Especially against teams that park the bus.

However, against top sides, having a midfield of Gerrard, Henderson and Can could be a massive difference and help prevent us being bossed in midfield against anyone. Especially in the champions league.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: July 25, 2014, 12:09:59 pm »
Don't know how to embed Youtube video but here he pronounces his surname very clearly.
and it's Emre Djan

Change:

To:

https://www.youtube.com/v/53rFWjb2A8w   (basically remove the "watch?" part)

Then add the flash tag (next to insert picture) and change flash values to something like 600,400.

Result:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53rFWjb2A8w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53rFWjb2A8w</a>

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #554 on: July 25, 2014, 12:12:51 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kvptRAfYpWM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kvptRAfYpWM</a>
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: July 25, 2014, 12:58:46 pm »
Big game player too. As alluded to above, I don't think he's the kind of guy who we need against smaller teams so much. A midfield of Gerrard, Henderson/Can and Coutinho/Lallana would be ideal when we're looking to be more attacking and aggressive. Especially against teams that park the bus.

However, against top sides, having a midfield of Gerrard, Henderson and Can could be a massive difference and help prevent us being bossed in midfield against anyone. Especially in the champions league.
I think we'll see alot of Gerrard, Can (once settled) and Lallana/Coutinho - not just against 'bus' teams, either. Lallana has energy as well as balance and touch - and he's Rodgers' own pick.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #556 on: July 25, 2014, 01:21:36 pm »
So Emre is the piano carrier who can play it too.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: July 25, 2014, 01:40:42 pm »
Did we watch the same player against Preston ?  I thought he was the best player on the pitch until he got injured, certainly didn't look slow.

I think so ;-) I thought he looked a bit rusty, but he was ofcourse carrying a strained calf. But much improved against Roma, and he will no doubt improve more as his fitness is build up.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: July 25, 2014, 03:41:11 pm »
So Emre is the piano carrier who can play it too.

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #559 on: July 25, 2014, 04:04:54 pm »
Can was a fantastic intuition,at 20 years of age,what a buy that was!...he's going to make a huge impact and play a lot of matches for us, he's got very good abilities,both technical and physical 8) Mentally he sounds strong as well..

I just can't wait.