Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 590689 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #8520 on: April 5, 2024, 12:36:37 am »
My father died, so

finally gonna read The Road
Very sorry for your loss.

Brace yourself. No book has ever had such a visceral reaction for me. I was in complete bits for the last 50 pages.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8521 on: April 5, 2024, 11:53:56 am »
I remember reading quite a bit of him when I was a teenager. Think 'Whatever' was his best. Strange author.

I'm struggling this year, had a lot going on so not read much but working through 'Demon Copperhead' which is very good. Catcher in the Rye vibes but more a comment on modern poverty in America.

Speaking of Catcher in the Rye…after many years of avoiding them I finally got stuck into Stephen King’s Bachman Books collection. The first story in that, “Rage” really struck me as a what would happen if Holden had a gun and took his class hostage. Definitely less mature work, but I really enjoyed it. Onto “The Long Walk” next.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8522 on: April 5, 2024, 01:25:15 pm »
Very sorry for your loss.

Brace yourself. No book has ever had such a visceral reaction for me. I was in complete bits for the last 50 pages.

Ta

Yeah I think I might regret it, McCarthy is the most powerful writer, bits of Blood Meridian made me wince

I've saved it for maximum impact...

Re-reading Suttreee but that's cause Harrogate cracks me up. Boning patches of watermelons

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8523 on: April 5, 2024, 01:33:54 pm »
Just read Assassins Apprentice by Robin Hobb - reading Royal Assassin (Book 2)

Terrific fantasy fare.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8524 on: April 5, 2024, 02:03:01 pm »
Speaking of Catcher in the Rye…after many years of avoiding them I finally got stuck into Stephen King’s Bachman Books collection. The first story in that, “Rage” really struck me as a what would happen if Holden had a gun and took his class hostage. Definitely less mature work, but I really enjoyed it. Onto “The Long Walk” next.

Rage is out of print, deliberately (after a 1997 school shooting), so that's a bit of a collector's item. Long Walk is a classic.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8525 on: April 5, 2024, 03:38:15 pm »
Rage is out of print, deliberately (after a 1997 school shooting), so that's a bit of a collector's item. Long Walk is a classic.

I did wonder about “Rage”. I’ve had that book knocking around for ages.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8526 on: April 10, 2024, 12:36:04 pm »
Wyrd Sisters
 Terry Pratchett
 sixth Discworld novel

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8527 on: April 10, 2024, 12:56:52 pm »
Read Batavia by Peter Fitzsimmons recently. Not a story I was familar with and quite incredible really.

Now onto 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles Mann.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8528 on: April 10, 2024, 01:06:29 pm »
Just re-read American Psycho.
Just unrelentingly brutal and horrific in every way. 
I left wondering whether any of it had actually happened, I don’t remember that feeling reading it for the first time.
Just a brilliant satire of excess
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8529 on: April 10, 2024, 07:39:51 pm »
Wyrd Sisters
 Terry Pratchett
 sixth Discworld novel
I discovered Discworld recently. Have read Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms. Just picked up Feet of Clay at the library.

English isn't my first language so I don't understand every joke, especially when he plays with the English language and grammar. But he one of the very few writers that makes me laugh out loud. I love his style and the characters of the Night Watch.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8530 on: April 10, 2024, 10:22:06 pm »
I discovered Discworld recently. Have read Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms. Just picked up Feet of Clay at the library.

English isn't my first language so I don't understand every joke, especially when he plays with the English language and grammar. But he one of the very few writers that makes me laugh out loud. I love his style and the characters of the Night Watch.

3 great books

Terry Pratchett / Geoffrey Cush GUARDS! GUARDS! Part 1 (of 4) Professional Stage Tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_LueUJ05XU

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8531 on: April 11, 2024, 01:42:59 pm »
Just re-read American Psycho.
Just unrelentingly brutal and horrific in every way. 
I left wondering whether any of it had actually happened, I don’t remember that feeling reading it for the first time.
Just a brilliant satire of excess

Originally Easton Elllis was adamant that it all happened, Bateman and his peer group were so indistinguishable from one another that perpetrator and victim blended into one and Bateman got away with it, helped by the mask money gives you.  However, in subsequent books contained in that universe, if I remember correctly Lunar Park especially, he implied that it was in Bateman’s head.  Easton Ellis is something of a misanthropic prankster though, it’s possible he doesn’t really know and it was just some sort of diatribe against everything.

Despite the ambiguity, I think it’s a masterful book.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8532 on: April 11, 2024, 06:20:23 pm »
Originally Easton Elllis was adamant that it all happened, Bateman and his peer group were so indistinguishable from one another that perpetrator and victim blended into one and Bateman got away with it, helped by the mask money gives you.  However, in subsequent books contained in that universe, if I remember correctly Lunar Park especially, he implied that it was in Bateman’s head.  Easton Ellis is something of a misanthropic prankster though, it’s possible he doesn’t really know and it was just some sort of diatribe against everything.

Despite the ambiguity, I think it’s a masterful book.
I haven’t read any of the other books to be honest.  Ambiguity is good though, why do we always have to know?
I think the film is terrible (I do realise I’m in a minority) just didn’t have the same intensity as the book. But I guess there’s on,y so much you could actually include!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8533 on: April 11, 2024, 06:58:28 pm »

Loved the Discworld stories when I first started reading them in the late eighties.

Got through about 95% of them, but was all punned out by the end. Think they definitely tailed off, which is understandable given how many of them there are. At their best, they are very funny though.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8534 on: April 12, 2024, 11:12:26 am »
I haven’t read any of the other books to be honest.  Ambiguity is good though, why do we always have to know?
I think the film is terrible (I do realise I’m in a minority) just didn’t have the same intensity as the book. But I guess there’s on,y so much you could actually include!

The film definitely did its job though. I saw it at the cinema and it shocked many people who will never ever read it or any of Brett Easton Ellis’s books.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8535 on: April 12, 2024, 11:41:13 am »
American Psycho can be really funny if you look into it, implying Bateman is just some boring yuppie bullshitter

All the endless clothes descriptions, if you look them up or think about, often what he's describing he's naming very weird mismatched coloured clothes. I sort of imagine him flipping through a clothes catalogue, picking items at random - a lot of the characters would look downright strange. Easton Ellis did confirm this at some point

Plus some of the meal descriptions get outright loopy. It's satire

If you consider the bullshit he also puts out about music (the worst thing you can do is take those chapters as factually true), you cannot possibly think the murders are real. Ditto the sex. He's just some dullard endlessly listing things, exaggerating. Read it as a comedy

If you skip the chapters he bangs on about clothing or music, you're missing out IMO. They're the most satirical parts, and when you put them together - particularly towards the end of the book - they don't make sense.

Man is a bullshitter of the first degree. The Chase chapter is a great example. Surface surface surface, truth don't matter

"Bigfoot was interviewed on The Patty Winters Show this morning and
to my shock I found him surprisingly articulate and charming."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 11:44:56 am by ToneLa »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8536 on: April 12, 2024, 03:41:28 pm »
;D. The chapters on Phil collins and Huey Lewis and the news are two of the best bits….
W

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #8537 on: April 12, 2024, 05:15:39 pm »
Just re read for third time Tom Hollands 'The Persian Fire' a fascinating and entertaining read about rise of Persia and how it invaded Greece ultimately  creating the classic Greece..great read...maybe my fave book. What you learn from this book/ period..technology's and social cohesion notwithstanding..nothing changes in humanity's ability to fuck itself up.

I used to say ' Confederacy of Dunces'...I read this when it come out but over decades seems to have become the default fave book of students n hipsters

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8538 on: April 12, 2024, 05:35:15 pm »
Just re read for third time Tom Hollands 'The Persian Fire' a fascinating and entertaining read about rise of Persia and how it invaded Greece ultimately  creating the classic Greece..great read...maybe my fave book.

Absolutely phenomenal narrative history...

Just re-read That Was Then This is Now by S.E. Hinton.

Better than The Outsiders, that might be one for the Unpopular Opinions thread...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8539 on: April 12, 2024, 06:12:03 pm »
Persian Fire is an absolute treat!  I read part of it at the Temple of Poseidon where the sea battle happened.  What a spot that is.
W

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #8540 on: April 12, 2024, 06:16:19 pm »

Persian Fire is an absolute treat!  I read part of it at the Temple of Poseidon where the sea battle happened.  What a spot that is.

Sounds great..off to Samos in June looking for appropriate book..Think something about Trojan Wars or similar..recc's welcome..holiday reads mind ..and large print :D

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #8541 on: April 13, 2024, 11:55:27 pm »
Absolutely phenomenal narrative history...

Just re-read That Was Then This is Now by S.E. Hinton.

Better than The Outsiders, that might be one for the Unpopular Opinions thread...

It definitely belongs there  ;D  More because of everything that is so great about "The Outsiders" than anything wrong with "TWTTIN."

Started Conn Iggulden's "Emperor" and it is as good as advertised. Really enjoying it.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8542 on: April 14, 2024, 10:03:10 am »
About To Read Pyramids Again
Discworld Novel # 7

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8543 on: April 15, 2024, 09:11:21 pm »
Rendezvous With Rama.

Intrigued to see how Villeneuve does with this, the Book is fantastic.

Going to start the sequel next.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8544 on: April 15, 2024, 10:52:07 pm »

I waited until I'd finished the book before watching the film and, while I don't agree that it's terrible, the only thing it really has over the book, which I also have slightly mixed feelings about, is Bale's fantastic performance.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8545 on: April 16, 2024, 03:26:40 pm »
I finished the Bachman/King story “The Long Walk”. It really is excellent. There’s definitely some allusions to the “serious” American literature of the 50s & 60s, but obviously heavily influenced by Ray Bradbury and Shirley Jackson.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8546 on: April 18, 2024, 12:31:05 am »
Me and my eldest Grandson  [9]  have formed this kind of unofficial book club.

Just finished Diary of a Wimpy Kid on his recommendation - Loved it.

Currently reading the first Percy Jackson story. Boss so far!

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8547 on: April 18, 2024, 03:45:29 pm »
Just re-read The Great and Secret Show (on Kindle.) Good stuff!

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #8548 on: April 21, 2024, 10:15:47 am »
Year of the Locust

So bad

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8549 on: April 23, 2024, 10:44:09 am »

“All you need is love: the end of The Beatles”. A collection of interviews put together by Peter Brown & Steven Gaines.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8550 on: April 23, 2024, 10:59:41 am »
Not exactly the right thread for this but here goes...

I've written a book. I need some beta readers. It likely won't appeal to the average RAWK user (though I won't tell you to do one if you're interested), but if any of you have female readers in your lives who you think might want to help me out with a little feedback, send us a PM, please. Characters are all 21 or under, but since the book is set in the 90s, it might also appeal to readers older than that.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8551 on: April 23, 2024, 02:59:37 pm »
How would the book be sent out? Digitally?

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8552 on: April 23, 2024, 03:02:58 pm »
About To Read " Guards , Guards " Again

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8553 on: April 23, 2024, 05:25:53 pm »
How would the book be sent out? Digitally?
Yes. Just not in actual ebook format (not reached that stage yet). I can do pdf, or word doc, or google doc etc, whatever is preferred.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8554 on: April 23, 2024, 06:17:47 pm »
I’m terrible at proof reading. Would have been happy to otherwise
W

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8555 on: April 24, 2024, 10:49:08 am »
Yes. Just not in actual ebook format (not reached that stage yet). I can do pdf, or word doc, or google doc etc, whatever is preferred.

I know someone who might be interested. Will get back to you, not sure if reading digitally is her thing.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8556 on: April 29, 2024, 01:03:44 pm »
Very sad news. CJ Sansom has died.  His books got better and better, moving from crime novels to social commentary

Sadly missed.
W

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8557 on: April 29, 2024, 03:31:41 pm »
Eric, stylized as Faust Eric, is the ninth Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8558 on: April 29, 2024, 05:38:01 pm »
Very sad news. CJ Sansom has died.  His books got better and better, moving from crime novels to social commentary

Sadly missed.
Sad news. I read the first Shardlake book and as I'm a cheapskate was waiting for them to come down in price on Amazon before continuing with them.

Disney + are releasing a mini-series based (presumably) on the first book this week.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #8559 on: April 29, 2024, 08:29:34 pm »

Sadly missed.

Very sad indeed. I hope the new Shardlake series on Disney does the books justice. RIP
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain