Author Topic: Derby Daze!  (Read 1477 times)

treble2001

Derby Daze!
« on: February 23, 2002, 09:25:33 pm »
I had a bad feeling about this Derby.  It wasn’t that I thought our players couldn’t do the job, but I never felt like we would win.  The reason why was that Blues’ attitude was “Yeh, we’ll get hammered” whereas most Reds’ had the attitude of “Will it be six or seven?”

It took Radzinski’s goal to make the Reds wake up, and if we could have played how we did for the last twenty minutes, it would have been six or seven.  Southampton, Fulham, Blackburn.  All teams title chasers should win.  We have the players, but why can’t we break down teams that come to Anfield to defend?  For the first 45 minutes the midfielders where bypassed, as a defender would pump long balls to Anelka and Owen.  Who would you back to get a long ball- 5”10 Owen, 6”0 Anelka, both with nothing of them, in physical terms, who don’t have great heading ability on their CV that’s for sure.  Or, David Weir and Alan Stubbs, both of whom posses heading as probably the only thing on their CV?   Now, what if we were to put a ball 5 yards in front of Owen along the floor with Weir next to him.  Or Anelka and Stubbs.  Both times, a Red shirt would end up with the ball.

What would a neutral rather watch?  Liverpool versus Everton, one of the most famous games in footballing history, in front of a full passionate crowd or Aston Villa laying down to let Man United get three points?  Guess what Sky picked?  That’s right, Man United versus Aston Villa.  The again, 3pm on a Saturday is what football is about, not 7.45 on a Sunday or whatever other god-forsaken time they can come up with.  You can’t even come up with the excuse that Sky would think that Everton are crap now, hence we’d win easy, as they’re showing Sunderland-Newcastle, with Sunderland not exactly challenging for the title.

Reading the papers today, you’d be forgiven for thinking ‘’Is there a derby today?’  The match got a page, the same amount as Man United-Villa and the same as Arsenal-Fulham.  Has the Merseyside Derby lost it’s appeal to the TV companies and national rags?  The game that we look for first on the fixture list.  If we win, it’s six months of sheer bliss.  If we lose then for six months you’ll get that rammed down your throat everyday for six months.  I’m sure Man United fans feel the same about them versus Villa!

Over the past few years the “Friendly Derby” has deteriorated to a hate campaign from both sides.  Now, the image built up by the media of being able to stand or sit in the Gladwys and shout for Liverpool and not get hassled is very wrong.  The same with Blues in the Kop.  I do remember two lads celebrating in front of the Kop, and later on, after they wiped all the food & drink thrown at them down, a few Reds went down and congratulated them for having the bottle to do it!  A bit of fuel was added to the fire when Nicky Barmby joined us, especially when he told us he had supported us all his life!  But, on the whole Reds and Blues still get on the same.  

Last years Derby at Goodison (April one) was amazing.  How can some Blues disrespect the memory of the 96?  I’m sure the majority of Blues knew someone who lost their life at the Derby, and in all fairness 98% kept silent.  In fact it was probably around six or seven who shouted.  That game was hate fuelled, with Jeff Winter probably not doing much to help.  I read on a forum last week about someone’s brother, who is a Blue, coming home after being punched for challenging the grounds of an Evertonian’s “Heysel” shouts.  If a Red was seen celebrating in the street he was either spat on, or beat up.  It’s never been a friendly Derby, as none is.  It probably was carved out like this, as it wasn’t as bad as Manchester derbies or something.  

This year’s ditty from the Blues was the very classy “Who’s had a heart attack- Hou-Houllier”.  Again, minority rather than majority but the image of Everton FC is being tarnished by this scum.  Scum is a harsh word, but the right one when describing the idiots who sing stuff about a man, who they have never met and has done nothing to them, dieing.  The above-mentioned song is a bit censored when compared to some songs they’ve come up with.   There’s Blues who for 363 days of the year are sound, and gives all football credit, including Liverpool’s and then on the two Derby days turns very bitter.  And there are those who spend 365 days of the year despising Liverpool, LFC employees and LFC fans.  They’re the ones who come on internet forums with anti-Liverpool names and come up with the very funny ditties for Emile Heskey (yawn).  Then there are those who realise that actually this game is in fact just that- a game.  Obviously, it means a hell of lot to us, but when fans sing “Die, Die Nicky” do they realise how stupid they are?   They don’t know Barmby, but want him dead.  Lovely bunch, eh?  I’m not saying Liverpool fans are Saints, but there isn’t the same amount as Everton fans who sing songs that the majority are embarrassed are sung by fellow fans.  I mean how can anyone (and this is football fans in general) sing that they want someone dead?  Or celebrate the fact someone has a life threatening disease?  These are scum, and I’m not just talking about Everton fans.

No doubt the media and TV companies will make it out that Everton dominated and deserved it all, but they never.  Two chances that I can remember, one was the Radzinski mis-hit that went in, the other a fine save from Kirkland, who had a good game.  Anelka and Owen started up front, with Dave Maddock’s brilliant pre-match observation that Owen would be rested totally wrong (Bet, you’ve never heard about Maddock being wrong, eh?).  Anelka and Owen were the dream partnership when Anelka signed, but today proved that they don’t have the same understanding that Heskey and Owen do.  Obviously, that can only be achieved through playing together, but will they get a chance?  Only time will tell.  And Xavier discovered the meaning of hate today.  Sorry, but a few boos that stopped after half time from the Anfield Rd end, are not hate.  The Kop boos Ginola, but do LFC supporters hate him?  Nicky Barmby is hated, but I don’t think the day where a Blue could go to the Reds
And no one would care would ever come.  Unless we bought Unsworth..

The first half flew by with little (any?) incident, the Reds best player being McAllister in my view.  In fact, EFC's goal woke the Reds up and after that Liverpool played like Champions.  Unfortunately they don't do it from the start.  If we did we would be Champions by now.  In fact, why don’t we give the opponents a one goal head start and then we’ll be unstoppable!

What do Man United, Arsenal, Leeds and Newcastle have that we don't?  Nothing.  So, why when teams go to Anfield and defend they are almost certain of a share of the spoils, and when teams go to Old Trafford, Highbury, Elland Rd and Highbury and defend do they nearly always go home nursing a heavy defeat?  Is it due to our game of defending and counter attacking forcing us to run out of ideas when teams beat us at our own game?  Is there a way, and maybe it's all part of GH's plan, to get us to play our way away from home, and attack at home?  I mean we have the players, but it’s the style that won us the treble that's turning into a bit of a downfall.  I won't say the tactics are crap, because they were successful last year, but if we want to win the league, we need to improve on the 'bread and butter' games against the Southamptons and the Leicesters.

Our remaining games are:
March
2: Fulham v Liverpool
6: Liverpool v Newcastle
16: Middlesborough v Liverpool
23: Liverpool v Chelsea
30: Liverpool v Charlton
April
7: Liverpool v Blackburn
13: Sunderland v Liverpool
20: Liverpool v Derby
27: Tottenham v Liverpool
May
11th: Liverpool v Ipswich
All, with the exception of Tottenham and Chelsea, are the “small” games that are our downfall at the moment.  We can win these games.  Why people write off our title challenge now is quite remarkable, but let’s get some things into perspective:  We have lost our inspirational manager for the majority of the year.  Our assistant boss, who has done a great job, had no experience of managing a team, bar a stint as Reserve manager.  If we don’t win the league this year- so what?  We’ll win it when GH is back.  I’m not starting excuses, but how people can put it as a disaster is beyond me.  How would Man U do without Ferguson?  Arsenal with Pat Rice in charge?  I tell you not half as well we have done without the inspiration of GH.  Yes, he’s helping to pick the team now, but how many times has a Houllier substitute changed a game?  A word of wisdom to a player and they’re back to full form?  

Galatasary captain, Bulent Korkmaz, has come out and sayed this:
“When we beat Liverpool in Istanbul it will boost our chances.  We are 90% through.”
This lad obviously knows about spitting into the wind, especially when Liverpool are involved.  I mean, hasn’t he ever heard of Clinton Morrison?!  This by the way is the same Bulent Korkmaz who was outpaced by 38 year old Gary McAllister and out-classed by Didi Hamann.  

“Walter Smith's Everton produced a heroic performance to steal a richly deserved point from the Merseyside derby at Anfield.”-ananova.com

So, when Liverpool go and put 10 men behind the ball, and get a breakaway goal they’re “lucky”.  When other teams do they’re “heroic”.  How where they deserving?  They got a mis-hit goal, and defended.  Fair play to Everton they did the job, but we deserved to win, and Everton never deserved it, and weren’t heroic.  

“And from persistence more than class, Liverpool finally clawed their way back level.”

So, Van Nistelrooy’s goal earlier in the day wasn’t through persistence?  How more obvious can they make it that they listened to Sky Sports and think they’re in a position to comment.  So, all we need to do is be persistent and we’ll win each game?  Who needs class?  Oh, wait we were persistent against Arsenal but never won.

So, in one article I’ve talked Everton, Sky, Maddock, GH, Galatasary and the media- not bad, eh?

Mark Piercy
Justice For The 96
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
Re: Derby Daze!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2002, 10:38:56 pm »
Good read that... nice one Mark.

I had a similar feeling... and from where I was sat I could see Everton defending deep They didn't have the organisation of a Blackburn 4+4 but I could see where it was heading... theyalso dragged us down to their level of passing in the first half. Shite it was.

Just feel gutted now... maybe the question is how can Thommo get the players to believe and play like they're 1-0 from the start.

Pants.

Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Derby Daze!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2002, 04:12:25 am »
Good reading!

Don't know what it was like at the game, but I can tell you it was a bit frustrating in the pub over here. We were by far the better team in the 2nd half, but still only managed to get 1 point. This is getting far too familiar...

It's obvious that we have real problems when we have to run the show with lots of possession. I'm not a manager myself (prefer to critizise from the stands or the pub ;) ) and there are a few things that I would like to know. Please enlighten me, someone!

1) Our starting line up in midfield. Riise was going to make his usual good runs down the left. Then? If we play Hamann (again excellent!) and Macca, shouldn't we try to get our RM further up the pitch? Seems to me we played 3 men at a straight line, with Riise the only one going forward. Link midfield-strikers = ?? We had nobody like Berger or Gerrard to make the runs forward in the center of the park. Did we expect Murphy to cut inside, or did we want him to stay wide? Either way, I don't think it worked.

2) With Riise at LM, why get Heskey on to add to our strengths on the left? First of all, I reckon "throw on another striker" just after they have scored smells a bit like a panic move. Anyway, at the time, we had nothing down the right and Riise was doing fine at LM. If Heskey was supposed to play as a 3rd striker, then why not play him on the right? If he was supposed to play as a midfielder, why didn't we pick one of the midfielders we had on the bench? Surely, Heskey is not a better midfielder than Smicer?

3) Still IMO lacking the link in the center, our threat was to come from the left. Now, with Heskey on the left... who exactly are we going to put crosses in for? With Riise providing width, what exactly was Heskey supposed to do? Cut inside? Nope. I'm not saying Heskey had a bad game, it's just that I don't understand the thought. What was he supposed to do?

4) When we are to add up some pressure, we need to get the ball into the box more than once every 5 minutes. If we go for width, then we should get crosses in. On the ground, in the air or whatever. If we go for the center, then we need a link between midfield and attack, or every pass has to come from deep, which is easier to defend against. We should not send crosses in from half way into their half, we need to get further up at least some times. If we go for the long range cross, then Owen + Anelka are not the best of options in the air.
5) Their goal. The Arsenal highway. They did it against us in 2 games, Leeds tried it and Everton did it. Direct pass to the left, cross into the box and then goal. Why don't we try this one? How come we always seem to play the direct pass 15-20 yards before we reach the box, while everyone else play the one touch ball close to our box? We'd need to get a man between their defence and midfield in order to play the pass to the side. If Everton can do it, it can't be that hard...

6) Movement. On the TV, you don't see the whole picture, I know. But it seems to me that the one on the ball is doing most of the movement. People cry out for a creative midfielder. I don't think we need one. But I do think we need better movement. As I said above, the one touch ball to the sides, to open up for a cross... how often do we see it? To get the chance, someone needs to take the run. Against a team that defends, we need to move the ball around quickly.

Alright, I'm finally off to bed. Hopefully, I won't have to much of a hangover tomorrow. If I've written to much crap, I can always try to blame the beer... ;)

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez