Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3470658 times)

Offline John Higgins

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE
« Reply #47800 on: January 17, 2021, 10:52:22 am »
As long as 99% are going to the right place based on guidelines, and no ones profiting I don’t think it’s a huge deal. There’s always going to be a bit of ‘leakage’, that’s just (human) nature.

It’s not even leakage really as it seems that most places are getting around 10% extra from each vial of Pfizer vaccine and between 15 and 20% extra from each batch of the oxford AZ.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47801 on: January 17, 2021, 11:13:35 am »
I’d imagine that these people are in hospitals or care homes.  You want to try to stop the diesel spreading there above all places.
Also wouldn't it be nice for their families to be able to visit again without the fear of risking killing them.

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47802 on: January 17, 2021, 11:24:25 am »
If the vaccine is responsible for those deaths in Norway, why have we not seen the same happening here or in the US, both of which have used the vaccine on hundreds of thousands if not millions of over 80’s.
We probably have to be honest. I’d be surprised if we aren’t investigating some deaths also, along with the US and any other country that has begun vaccination.

That’s because it’s just a normal part of the post-approval process. It will be in each countries guidelines from their approval body that any death within a certain time window after vaccination must be investigated. Due to the demographic we are vaccinating, we will almost certainly be investigating at least a handful at the moment also. We just have to wait for the results of these investigations, but the fact deaths have occurred within the time frame and that they are being investigated as part of the vaccination programme are of no surprise at all really.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47803 on: January 17, 2021, 11:43:11 am »
Also wouldn't it be nice for their families to be able to visit again without the fear of risking killing them.
They wouldn't be able to, Debs. The vaccine takes 28 days approx to offer immunity - these guys were dying within days of administration.
“In Norway, we are now vaccinating the elderly and people in nursing homes with serious underlying diseases, therefore it is expected that deaths close to the time vaccination may occur,” the Norwegian Medicines Agency said.
“All deaths that occur within the first few days of vaccination are carefully assessed.

If I were in that situation, I'd want palliative care, nothing that gave me side effects that added to my symptoms (fever/diarrhoea etc as discussed in the article), and my family to visit me, in PPE if best for them. Don't think I'd be the only one.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47804 on: January 17, 2021, 11:52:14 am »
I’d imagine that these people are in hospitals or care homes.  You want to try to stop the diesel spreading there above all places.
Yep! Perhaps the the answer is to step up petrols in hospitals and care homes.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47805 on: January 17, 2021, 11:53:48 am »
They wouldn't be able to, Debs. The vaccine takes 28 days approx to offer immunity - these guys were dying within days of administration.
“In Norway, we are now vaccinating the elderly and people in nursing homes with serious underlying diseases, therefore it is expected that deaths close to the time vaccination may occur,” the Norwegian Medicines Agency said.
“All deaths that occur within the first few days of vaccination are carefully assessed.

If I were in that situation, I'd want palliative care, nothing that gave me side effects that added to my symptoms (fever/diarrhoea etc as discussed in the article), and my family to visit me, in PPE if best for them. Don't think I'd be the only one.
But they didn't know they wouldn't survive when they were given the jab, or why do it?

What I mean is can they really pick and choose who should or shouldn't be given that chance of seeing loved ones again?

It's got to be all of them or none of them surely?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #47806 on: January 17, 2021, 12:00:01 pm »
Oops
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #47807 on: January 17, 2021, 12:25:15 pm »

Well I guess setting everything on fire is one way of stopping the virus from spreading, bit extreme mind!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47808 on: January 17, 2021, 12:52:19 pm »
Well I guess setting everything on fire is one way of stopping the virus from spreading, bit extreme mind!

That's a bit crude!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #47809 on: January 17, 2021, 12:56:01 pm »

Do they check your BP while your there?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47810 on: January 17, 2021, 01:17:23 pm »
Do they check your BP while your there?
In the past they would have. But Tory Government cuts mean that they are only a Shell of what they once were.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #47811 on: January 17, 2021, 01:31:54 pm »
Don't stress over it Jiminy, there are a few who know you are very Essoterical

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #47812 on: January 17, 2021, 01:33:25 pm »
These puns are starting to get Total-ly stretched right now

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #47813 on: January 17, 2021, 01:33:59 pm »
In the past they would have. But Tory Government cuts mean that they are only a Shell of what they once were.

Lazy bastards. Only Texacouple of seconds.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47814 on: January 17, 2021, 01:45:54 pm »

They certainly need a bit of refining.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47815 on: January 17, 2021, 01:58:40 pm »
Both my sisters have been vaccinated last week (work in the nhs). 

My little sister works in covid icu and hasn’t had it... god knows how
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47816 on: January 17, 2021, 02:00:10 pm »
Not my fault. I made one little 'petrol' pun and all this happens. I hope some one will exxonerate me.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:13:20 pm by Jiminy Cricket »

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47817 on: January 17, 2021, 02:01:27 pm »

You seem to have gone off-topic, Tepid. :)

I hope your sister is OK and managing to cope with it all.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47818 on: January 17, 2021, 02:59:36 pm »

I guess different NHS trusts, are vaccinating differently, depending on availability? Well that's my only assumption, as they're already vaccinating over 75s where I live. First line Covid workers were one of the first to be vaccinated weeks ago.

A poster a few days ago said his nan, who is over 90 has just caught Covid and she was due to have her vaccine next week. I wouldve thought over 90s would have been done earlier

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47819 on: January 17, 2021, 03:12:09 pm »
Head of NHS England said they have done 1.5 million doses in the last week, and the the other home nations have done just under 500k between them so they are not far off the 2 million a week that was the previous target which is a positive, and the trajectory is probably still upwards in terms of doses a day they could soon be well comfortably north of 2 million a day.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47820 on: January 17, 2021, 03:14:21 pm »
Head of NHS England said they have done 1.5 million doses in the last week, and the the other home nations have done just under 500k between them so they are not far off the 2 million a week that was the previous target which is a positive, and the trajectory is probably still upwards in terms of doses a day they could soon be well comfortably north of 2 million a day.

10 more mass vaccination sites open up on Monday, which should help push the numbers up again.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47821 on: January 17, 2021, 03:21:10 pm »
10 more mass vaccination sites open up on Monday, which should help push the numbers up again.

A lot of the smaller places haven’t started yet either, I went to my GP yesterday for the flu jab and they said they are starting this week at the local medical centre so sounds like there’s a lot more to come. Fingers crossed.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47822 on: January 17, 2021, 03:45:43 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/16/low-paid-shun-covid-tests-cost-of-self-isolating-too-high

A lot of us have mentioned this time and time again.   It’s a big problem and the tories have done nothing about it.   The cynic in me thinks it’s done on purpose.    Easy target to blame

Online Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #47823 on: January 17, 2021, 03:52:01 pm »
A new preprint seems to suggest that the "UK" variant is not associated with a higher viral load. I think this has surprised some experts as it was understood that higher viral load was the major reason for increased transmission of this variant. Also, some wondering if it's less transmissible than generally thought as well. Interesting either way.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.13.21249721v1

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47824 on: January 17, 2021, 03:58:04 pm »
Do people expect serious illness and deaths to start dropping in 4-6 week's time then if the vaccine programme continues to roll out successfully? Should we see a dramatic drop in hospital admissions?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #47825 on: January 17, 2021, 04:08:21 pm »
Its a  weekend so death numbers are pretty meaningles but case numbers continue to trend well (we don't tend to seee big weekend impacts until tomorrow in those numbers)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:23:26 pm by filopastry »

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47826 on: January 17, 2021, 04:10:46 pm »
38,598 cases
671 deaths

Cases 22.5% down on the seven day average, 14000 down on the previous Sunday.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47827 on: January 17, 2021, 04:13:23 pm »
Do people expect serious illness and deaths to start dropping in 4-6 week's time then if the vaccine programme continues to roll out successfully? Should we see a dramatic drop in hospital admissions?

There was an episode of the Guardians Today in Focus episode on Wednesday that was all about the rollout of the vaccine. The Guardian's science editor Robin Mckie was on it and addressed this point directly. There is a trial ongoing at Bristol University which is looking at patients with pneumonia (hig numbers of cases at this time of year regardless of the pandemic). They compare which have pneumonia with Covid and those without Covid, and then compare with who has had the vaccine and who hasn't and they can work out from that  (and how the ratio changes over the coming weeks) whether the vaccine is working. This apparently will be the first indicator on how well it is working.

The podcast episode is well worth a listen.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #47828 on: January 17, 2021, 04:22:25 pm »

I've found this thread really helpful when it comes to looking at the numbers. Basically deaths should drop as well as hospital numbers but ICU numbers might not due to a large percentage of them being taken by the 45-65 age bracket, so until they are vaccinated hospital numbers may still be high

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47829 on: January 17, 2021, 04:23:36 pm »
I've found this thread really helpful when it comes to looking at the numbers. Basically deaths should drop but hospital numbers might not due to a large percentage of them being taken by the 45-65 age bracket, so until they are vaccinated hospital numbers may still be high
Yeah... we have to vaccinate 50+ beifre we really relax the lockdowns
W

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47830 on: January 17, 2021, 06:32:35 pm »
I've found this thread really helpful when it comes to looking at the numbers. Basically deaths should drop as well as hospital numbers but ICU numbers might not due to a large percentage of them being taken by the 45-65 age bracket, so until they are vaccinated hospital numbers may still be high

Yes, worth mentioning again that the older age groups are often not moved to ICU to keep those beds for people with a better chance of survival.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47831 on: January 17, 2021, 08:12:02 pm »
4.3 million doses now given, 3.85 million had one does, 450k have had a second.

That’s 300k doses on a Sunday which isn’t a bad showing at all.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:14:18 pm by west_london_red »
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47832 on: January 17, 2021, 08:25:13 pm »
The vaccination numbers are brilliant, quite remarkable really. Makes it all the sadder we've put ourselves in the dire situation we are in, but some glimmer of positive news at least
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47833 on: January 17, 2021, 08:42:20 pm »
The vaccination numbers are brilliant, quite remarkable really. Makes it all the sadder we've put ourselves in the dire situation we are in, but some glimmer of positive news at least
The new centres and surgeries should add another 3-400k a week ... so, let’s hope we can build on that further.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:52:12 pm by TepidT2O »
W

Offline AmSeeker

• ABbitOfAnAttention
  • Main Stander
« Reply #47834 on: January 17, 2021, 08:59:36 pm »
Clearly a failure to lockdown early, close borders, effective track and trace system has hurt us.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:01:12 am by AmSeeker »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47835 on: January 17, 2021, 09:18:47 pm »
snip

Vast majority of frustrations in there to agree with, although think a few things don't hold.

For example local health protection teams with expertise in controlling infectious diseases and lots of experience contact tracing have been in place throughough. Sadly their, and Public Health England's, budget has been cut literally every year since 2010 when the Tories came into power. So the expertise and local boots on the crowd have been in play throughout, and expanded. But the starting point was a decimated infrastructure and workforce because on the rare occasions Tory governments throw money at health its to healthcare (usually to counter their critically dangerous underfunding) rather than public health and prevention.

Also our world class scientists have never said the silly thing you've suggested, that the virus is going to go away. Likewise that it's 'just a flu', noone in public health here was saying that while the virus was killing people in Italy. Chris Witty didn't mention 20,000 deaths because he thought it was like an average flu, that's made up - numbers of mortality scenarios were modelled based on international evidence available on covid at the time, not on flu. You suggest the border was open to Wuhan, but that's an unfair way to present allowing citizens to be repatriated while being monitored in isolation on their return to Arrowe Park - something you praised singapore for.

Unfortunately all the world class scientists here can do is advise and advocate, but ultimately they are in post to serve the public's health, but they don't get to choose the decision makers in government - the public did that to us.

One thing I'd be curious to hear, as someone who left the UK for Singapore in June/July (at a guess, since you mention six months), how would you have felt if the borders were shut as you wanted? Would you have been fine with not leaving the country?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:22:12 pm by Classycara »

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47836 on: January 17, 2021, 09:22:47 pm »
I think you’ll find very few people disagreeing with your assessment AMSeeker. For me what’s stands out is that we have spent the last 4 years arguing about our relationship with the rest of Europe, spent the last 70 odd years celebrating our victory over the Germans yet seems to have forgotten the one decisive factor for the last thousand years (yes since William the fucking Conquer) is that we are an island, and that is what should have saved us this time. Yes it’s not as easy as Australia or NZ or Singapore because of our size, but the government squandered the massive advantage we have over most nations by leaving the bordered open and lax enforcement and checks when people entered the country. The sensible approach would be to encourage people who want to come home to come back in the next few weeks while we still have a lockdown so that provides some protection to everyone else, and make it clear what the policy will be for anyone who comes back after that date in terms of having to stay in quarantine and what it will cost them (assuming the story in the Times of the government intends to implement something similar to Australia and Singapore by the sounds of it in the UK).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:25:18 pm by west_london_red »
Thinking is overrated.

Offline AmSeeker

• ABbitOfAnAttention
  • Main Stander
« Reply #47837 on: January 17, 2021, 09:28:29 pm »

Not advocating borders closing in the finite sense, the UK is a huge global hub. But you can't clearly have open borders either, with not even the basic checks in place. The system Singapore, Thailand, South Korea, and most of asian countries have in place is very effective balanaced system in terms of economy and keeping the virus out - a far better balance than the extremely tough Australian stance (where there own citizens can't get back). Anyone who wants to enter has to go through an enforced quarantine programme for 15 days - to make sure they are free of the virus before they enter the country. The system we have in place at the moment is effectively voluntarily - with very few adhering.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:03:37 am by AmSeeker »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47838 on: January 17, 2021, 10:33:30 pm »
Not advocating borders closing in the finite sense, the UK is a huge global hub. But you can't clearly have open borders either, with not even the basic checks in place. The system Singapore, Thailand, South Korea, and most of asian countries have in place is very effective balanaced system in terms of economy and keeping the virus out - a far better balance than the extremely tough Australian stance (where there own citizens can't get back). Anyone who wants to enter has to go through an enforced quarantine programme for 15 days - to make sure they are free of the virus before they enter the country. The system we have in place at the moment is effectively voluntarily - with very few adhering.
fair enough. That's not closing the borders though, and the only thing missing from UK policy is the enforced hotel quarantine step of the process being stood up. i can see the appeal, but presumably there are finite resources/people able to work on this and the army for example were already occupied during the first wave.

Yes the NHS was decimated with funds, but once the virus start having tragic effects we did pump alot of money at the problem, largely most of it wasted. We threw huge volumes at the track and trace system. Instead of just copying what they have done in the experienced far east countries who have been through these pandemics before, we went down our own path. It doesn't do anything, not one thing. It's just a call centre.
You can't turn around 10 years of budget cuts with money and six months time though. That build up of expertise, experience and infrastructure takes time. Seems unfair to me that you blame the people who have hung around and done this for years despite the government and public not appreciating their efforts.

Few have been more critical of test and trace, but I don't think you can say on recent evidence it's just a call centre. Take a look at the proportion of successful follow ups in their weekly reports (you'll also see how incredibly effective overrun and dedicated the pre-existing Health Protection Teams are). If you take a look at the research on the new variants of concern you will also see how the contact tracing data has been useful for assessing risks of travellers from for example Denmark/South Africa/Brazil and determining policy.

Of course it's just my opinion, but they clearly advocated Herd immunity, and the scientists were quoting death rates of 20,000 as a 'good result'. These are clearly modelled on a flu type virus. I can't fathom how our scientists could make that mistake? Even if they can only suggest and politicians act, i can't ever see any of them getting up resigning as a matter of principle that what the government was doing was just wrong - we are essentially going to end up killing 100,000 people - when it needn't have been.
sorry but you've left the realms of truth here. Your opinion is wrong, and evidently you aren't aware of the modelling methodologies. They're publicly published and there's been plenty of scrutiny on them. The idea they're modelled on data not related to COVID is misinformation.

And ok, since you're blaming the scientists but not the government and saying they should resign - what then? let the government fill the position with a yes-man? do you think that would improve things? How can you criticise the suggestion that 20,000 deaths is the best case scenario for controlling the virus, when referring to 100,000 deaths? Surely on reflection you can see that it was a fair assessment even if you are uncomfortable with the unpleasant-truth semantics

Saying public health workers and scientists are "essentially going to end up killing 100,000 people" is incredibly offensive and disrespectful to all the thousands of people working so hard in these difficult times to protect you and your loved ones.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 10:41:17 pm by Classycara »

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47839 on: January 17, 2021, 11:59:25 pm »
I think the 20k deaths line was taken out of context. It was said in March 17th, the week we should have properly locked down but didn't and merely asked people to stay at home and not go out. His point was that things were so bad at the time if we came out the other end with 20k deaths it would have been a success. Not that they were hoping for it.

Sage documents in January and Feb do talk about comparisons to influenza and modelling based on that because data from China was limited. I don't remember how much reference was made to sars 1 and mers in those documents - not much I don't think. Their biggest mistake was acknowledging lockdowns in China etc were working but not thinking it would be necessary here. Its not unreasonable to suggest we got that wrong early on and realised far too late there were many more cases in the UK than we thought, largely because air travel was totally unrestricted and unchecked. Even by that point John Edmunds was on Channel 4 on Friday night arguing lockdown wasn't needed.

Not learning from wuhan in January was understandable. Ignoring Italy and expecting we would not suffer the same fate wasn't. Not learning from our own mistakes is unforgivable
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:04:17 am by Guz-kop »
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3