Author Topic: EFL Cup 4th Round Bournemouth Away - 19:45 Weds 1st November  (Read 14498 times)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Re: EFL Cup 4th Round Bournemouth Away - 19:45 Weds 1st November
« Reply #80 on: November 1, 2023, 01:04:10 pm »
The scope of what this team can do has definitely changed since July and challenging for the league (City levels dependent) and winning the Europa should be the goals

With that in mind we should play a much weakened team and get development time into those that need it - a 'good defeat' would probably help overall, prevent getting a draw in the next round where we feel compelled to play 1st teamers and obv ducking the 2 legged semi final is key

(I'm aware this post will be triggering for some :))

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #81 on: November 1, 2023, 01:10:33 pm »
Next  round sandwiched between Arsenal and Manc games i see.

Port Vale at home and heavy rotation then!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: November 1, 2023, 01:14:16 pm »
The scope of what this team can do has definitely changed since July and challenging for the league (City levels dependent) and winning the Europa should be the goals

With that in mind we should play a much weakened team and get development time into those that need it - a 'good defeat' would probably help overall, prevent getting a draw in the next round where we feel compelled to play 1st teamers and obv ducking the 2 legged semi final is key

The Diaz situation and the inability of Thiago and Baj to get fit - coupled with Robertson's injury has left us in a bit of a bind.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 1, 2023, 01:14:22 pm »
Port Vale at home and heavy rotation then!

Abu Dhabi aren't in it anymore. Port Vale play the winners of Man United and Saudi Arabia.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: November 1, 2023, 01:15:59 pm »
Hope we win and hope we don't lose.  ;D
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #85 on: November 1, 2023, 01:22:44 pm »

Go on admit it, that’s at least half the reason you wrote it :)

While I completely agree we now look like we have a squad ready to challenge for the league and Europa, we shouldn’t turn out noses up at “lesser”targets. Everyone loves a trip to Wembley and if we were to fall short in the other competitions it would still be great to have some silverware to show for this seasons efforts.

I doubt we’d field our strongest line up before the final in this competition anyway. So it may still provide opportunities for those usually on the bench and a youngster or two. Meaning they’re in a better place to help us when called upon in the league etc.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #86 on: November 1, 2023, 01:42:42 pm »
Just had a look at the weather forecast. Safe travels to anyone going.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 1, 2023, 02:03:38 pm »

While I completely agree we now look like we have a squad ready to challenge for the league and Europa, we shouldn’t turn out noses up at “lesser”targets. Everyone loves a trip to Wembley and if we were to fall short in the other competitions it would still be great to have some silverware to show for this seasons efforts.

I doubt we’d field our strongest line up before the final in this competition anyway. So it may still provide opportunities for those usually on the bench and a youngster or two. Meaning they’re in a better place to help us when called upon in the league etc.

I like us being the record holders of any competition, and hope we extend that record. We've enough quality to put out a side to win the tie tonight whilst resting the big guns.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: November 1, 2023, 02:05:11 pm »
I like us being the record holders of any competition, and hope we extend that record. We've enough quality to put out a side to win the tie tonight whilst resting the big guns.
true but if the weather ends up as crappy as suggested, it tends to hurt the skilled team/players more.

and increases chances of injuries.

shuddder.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 1, 2023, 02:09:57 pm »

Or we could just decide not to play 1st teamers next round, whatever the draw. I'd fancy our 2nd string against anyone but Arsenal anyway. Absences are causing a few issues (not sure how we avoid playing Salah or Nunez this eve for instance) but we can basically play the 'backup' senior players (Kelleher, Gomez, Matip, Grav, Endo, Elliot, Jota, Gapko) and the kids and still have a team out capable of getting to the final.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2023, 02:12:27 pm by Knight »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 1, 2023, 02:22:19 pm »
Or we could just decide not to play 1st teamers next round, whatever the draw. I'd fancy our 2nd string against anyone but Arsenal anyway. Absences are causing a few issues (not sure how we avoid playing Salah or Nunez this eve for instance) but we can basically play the 'backup' senior players (Kelleher, Gomez, Matip, Grav, Endo, Elliot, Jota, Gapko) and the kids and still have a team out capable of getting to the final.

It never works out like that is the problem - if we get United or Newcastle or whoever in the semi finals we'll play the first choice team both legs, its what we've done historically

I think people's attitudes to this competition should be dependent on their view of the league, if you think its up for grabs at the top end (which I do at the moment) then you don't want to be in this in January, if you think City are going to hit last seaon's heights and get to 92+ points I'd be more sanguine about the domestic cups

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 1, 2023, 02:22:39 pm »

I feel seen :)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #92 on: November 1, 2023, 02:26:45 pm »
Ideally we can win this and get Port Vale at home, or failing that Boro or someone. That'd allow sufficient rotation with a great chance of making it to the semis, but really I think we should see something quite strong tonight even sandwiched between two league games. 'The big guns' have hardly featured in Europe and I imagine rotation will be even more feasible over the next three Euro games, then we won't have any European football until after this competition ends should we win the group, and no FA Cup games until January.

Interesting to see if they bring the one leg semi finals in next year. If they do I hope it's at a neutral venue, which would be far better than someone having home advantage in a semi final. Either make it a neutral venue or keep it two legged IMO.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 1, 2023, 02:34:52 pm »

On the other hand the lesser competitions (all but the league) give valuable game time to non/potential first teamers even suspended players. It keeps them match fit and "happier" I imagine. So, win tonight, win the quarter final (?) and see where we stand then. As someone pointed out above we have a mini absence thing going on right now. Plus I want to see us play. I like this team.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 1, 2023, 02:36:59 pm »
It never works out like that is the problem - if we get United or Newcastle or whoever in the semi finals we'll play the first choice team both legs, its what we've done historically

I think people's attitudes to this competition should be dependent on their view of the league, if you think its up for grabs at the top end (which I do at the moment) then you don't want to be in this in January, if you think City are going to hit last seaon's heights and get to 92+ points I'd be more sanguine about the domestic cups

Nothing against you, but fuck that attitude. I want to be in every final possible and in a title race and I can guarantee you every player and coach in that squad want the same thing

We've shown we can go for a quadruple, we're the only team to ever show it's actually possible. So we'll go for the league cup, we'll go for the FA Cup and we'll go for the EL and PL as well. This squad is capable of winning everything and we've shown this so far this season

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 1, 2023, 02:42:43 pm »
Nothing against you, but fuck that attitude. I want to be in every final possible and in a title race and I can guarantee you every player and coach in that squad want the same thing

We've shown we can go for a quadruple, we're the only team to ever show it's actually possible. So we'll go for the league cup, we'll go for the FA Cup and we'll go for the EL and PL as well. This squad is capable of winning everything and we've shown this so far this season

But we didn't win either of the 2 trophies we'd most want to win. I imagine Jack is thinking he'd rather a 5% better shot at the league over a League cup win which I can understand. League titles make this team immortal. A league cup would be nice.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: November 1, 2023, 02:53:30 pm »

Not really, last time we were in this in January we pretty much won every league game from then till May, won 16, drawn 2. (And won this cup too). Such a boring, emotionless way to look at it.

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 1, 2023, 02:54:18 pm »
But we're much better than we were in the department which massively let us down - central midfield. We were on fumes and playing players who weren't fit

We've already got to this point in the LC and EL by rotating heavily and we'll continue to do so until the new year. We'll finish top of the EL group and not have to play European football until late Feb. Rotate in the cup tonight and in the next round (assuming we go through) and even if we draw a PL team in the FA Cup we'll rotate again. It's only when we get to March we'll be going strong every week and we won't be running 3 players into the ground like we did in 21/22 with Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #98 on: November 1, 2023, 03:03:30 pm »

Nobody knows the future though. Even if we’re top in January I’d still like us to be in the semi’s of this.

One thing doesn’t necessarily make the other not happen, even if it looks like it may impact our ability to compete.

The squad is strong and could achieve amazing things but while I get that the more games you play the more chance of players getting injured or being more tired, I think you just have to go with the what will be will be attitude
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #99 on: November 1, 2023, 03:03:57 pm »
Just had a look at the weather forecast. Safe travels to anyone going.

Looks like the fabled  “south coast”, beloved of all clichéd sports hacks, could end up several miles inland from where it was today, if the forecast is right.
Scary forecast for the channel.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #100 on: November 1, 2023, 03:08:55 pm »
We have so many options now that it's almost impossible to predict who will play. No longer are we down to the bare bones by November and having to play players out of necessity. I agree that resting key players is priority, but we can still field a decent side whilst making lots of changes. Expect valuable minutes for Kelleher, Gomez, Quansah, Jones, and Endo with hopefully Elliot also able to feature at some point, and a mixture of youngsters and experienced heads on the bench.

It's always a balance of League & Europe vs the domestic cups, but I think we have the depth and durability to go deep in all 4 competitions. We're already nearing the point in Europe where we can hopefully play our full 2nd team for the final 2 group matches. Also - we don't want to go too weak (and risk getting knocked out), as there's a much higher chance we could draw Middlesborough, Port Vale, or the winners of Everton/Burnley or Ipswich/Fulham than there is of us getting a harder team (although we might get even luckier and draw a team like Utd).

On a separate point - how good was Lijnders in that press conference. Proper rousing stuff about our history, team spirit, the academy, and some lovely words about Diaz. His enthusiasm and love for the game is infectious, and he's also very honest and direct with his answers without giving anything away. I could watch Jurgen all day, but it's nice to hear Pep's views sometimes, and he represents the club so well when he speaks.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/F5S6i2yzr0g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/F5S6i2yzr0g</a>
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 1, 2023, 03:19:09 pm »
Nobody knows the future though. Even if we’re top in January I’d still like us to be in the semi’s of this.

One thing doesn’t necessarily make the other not happen, even if it looks like it may impact our ability to compete.

The squad is strong and could achieve amazing things but while I get that the more games you play the more chance of players getting injured or being more tired, I think you just have to go with the what will be will be attitude
I hope we get a piss-easy draw like the mancs. Can't be arsed about playing key players in this competition. Still, it's a shiny pot that we'd be pleased with winning AND we're the best team left in the competition IMO (some might say Arsenal but they don't have that winning experience) so why not?

I just want a Mickey Mouse draw that has us playing teams in the lower division at home.

« Last Edit: November 1, 2023, 03:21:00 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 1, 2023, 03:30:41 pm »
Same 11 that started against Forest are likely to start against Luton. None of them should be playing more than 45 minutes tonight especially considering the tough weather conditions. Will be quite draining on the legs and higher chance of injury. Make 11 changes from Sunday and use 5 subs from a strong bench in the 2nd half to effect the game. Bournemouth are likely to make some changes too so I'd back our second string to be competitive even if it does include 2 or 3 academy boys.

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 1, 2023, 04:01:51 pm »
Kelleher, Gomez, Quansah, Matip, Chambers, Endo, Jones, Gravenberch, Elliott, Gakpo, Jota

That would be my XI but I think we'll go stronger. Trent in at RB with Gomez and Matip as the CB pairing. I can also see Nunez starting as well

Those that I would have nowhere near the pitch are Ali, VVD, Mac, Dom, Salah and Nunez unless we are in a break glass situation. Hopefully the likes of Doak and McConnell can feature again

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: November 1, 2023, 04:08:07 pm »
Kelleher, Gomez, Quansah, Matip, Chambers, Endo, Jones, Gravenberch, Elliott, Gakpo, Jota
And that line-up would surely see Jones as captain again  :champ

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 1, 2023, 04:11:54 pm »

That would be my XI but I think we'll go stronger. Trent in at RB with Gomez and Matip as the CB pairing. I can also see Nunez starting as well

Those that I would have nowhere near the pitch are Ali, VVD, Mac, Dom, Salah and Nunez unless we are in a break glass situation. Hopefully the likes of Doak and McConnell can feature again

James McConnell for Gravenberch and Lewis Koumas for Jota and that would be my lineup.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #106 on: November 1, 2023, 04:23:31 pm »
James McConnell for Gravenberch and Lewis Koumas for Jota and that would be my lineup.

Too inexperienced and a bit lightweight.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #107 on: November 1, 2023, 04:31:14 pm »
Might see 45 minutes each from a couple of first teamers with it being away to a PL team and there being a few injuries/the Diaz situation.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 1, 2023, 04:34:13 pm »
And that line-up would surely see Jones as captain again  :champ
It'd be Gomez as the longest-serving player, I believe.

I want us to go for it. You don't remember the top 4s, you remember the trophies you lift. Nice balance of youth & experience and get minutes into the legs of those that need it. Then hope for a home draw in the next round.

Offline CortexVortex

• Main Stander
  • I'm so glad that Jürgen is a Red
« Reply #109 on: November 1, 2023, 05:12:23 pm »
Won’t be able to watch it but I hope all of you get to watch an enjoyable match with some nice goals for us :)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 1, 2023, 05:29:33 pm »
Looks like the fabled  “south coast”, beloved of all clichéd sports hacks, could end up several miles inland from where it was today, if the forecast is right.
Scary forecast for the channel.

Bournemouth are my local team and the forecast down here, is not looking great.

The channel islands could get 90 mph winds!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #111 on: November 1, 2023, 05:32:14 pm »
Bournemouth are my local team and the forecast down here, is not looking great.

The channel islands could get 90 mph winds!

The manager won't like a lot of wind!  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #112 on: November 1, 2023, 05:39:53 pm »
Gomez to score tonight.
#JFT97

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 1, 2023, 05:45:07 pm »
The manager won't like a lot of wind!  :D

50 mph gusts inland, perfect football conditions  ;)

They've shut the piers and told people to stay away from the coast.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #114 on: November 1, 2023, 05:50:38 pm »
Gomez to score tonight.

Fingers crossed for this.

They've shut the piers and told people to stay away from the coast.

Fat chance, it never ceases to amaze me how many people flock piers when there is a high tide or something.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 1, 2023, 05:55:18 pm »
Time for Teresa Mannion ?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 1, 2023, 05:56:37 pm »
Such a boring, emotionless way to look at it.

Maybe… not sure looking at it emotionally would change how fatigued your squad is in the second half of the season… historically, by your definition, klopp has looked at the domestic cups pretty emotionlessly

Regardless hopefully we get to see how some of the kids are developing tonight - Quanash is the most interesting
« Last Edit: November 1, 2023, 05:58:21 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #118 on: November 1, 2023, 06:02:21 pm »
For those saying, if we have a chance to win the League, then let's not make the semi finals or final.. i'd suggest you get to Kirkby and tell the players that yourself and see what type of reaction you get. Don't even bring it up to Jurgen.

Liverpool exist to win trophies. Hence this..

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 1, 2023, 06:10:26 pm »

Nunez to come on in the second half and outrun the gusts
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.