Author Topic: EL: Liv 2 vs 0 USG Gravenberch 43’ Jota 90+2’  (Read 10254 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
EL: Liv 2 vs 0 USG Gravenberch 43’ Jota 90+2’
« on: October 5, 2023, 06:52:53 pm »

Liverpool vs Royale Union Saint Gilloise
UEFA Europa League
Thursday 05 October 2023
8.00pm Kick Off
TV – TNT Sports 1

Officials

Referee
Morten Krogh DEN

Assistant referees
D. Wollenberg Rasmussen DEN
Steffen Bramsen DEN

Fourth official
Mikkel Redder DEN

Video Assistant Referee
Roi Reinshreiber ISR

Assistant Video Assistant Referee
Massimiliano Irrati ITA

Match Preview

I’m not going to lie – I do enjoy a Europa campaign. Always feels more acceptable to have a few pints on a Thursday than a Tuesday or a Wednesday and what better way to accompany it than watching our beloved Red Men in Europe. It’s not a competition that we’d want to be in year in year out, but now that we’re in it, I sure am going to enjoy it. The Europa League provided us with one hell of a ride in 2015/16, rollercoaster victories, cauldrons of atmospheres at Anfield, providing that first real sense of belief returning and that Liverpool were ‘back’ under Jurgen Klopp going on to appear in three Champions League finals in the seasons ahead. Perhaps this competition can prove to be the same catalyst for ‘Liverpool 2.0’.

I’ve particularly enjoyed doing this piece, a completely new team to me who I must admit, I hadn’t really heard of until last season. However, my research suggests we are coming up against a more than capable outfit. Union Saint-Gilloise currently top the Belgian Pro League as they look to finally become Champions after two near misses in recent seasons, including an injury time collapse on the final day last season. Their rise has been fairly meteoric – promoted from the Belgian Third Division on a technicality as recently as 2015, when two sides above them were denied Second Division licenses, they embarked on their first Champions League campaign last season, coming unstuck in a qualifier against Rangers (who went on to face the Reds in the Group Stages), going down 3-2 on aggregate having taken a 2-0 first leg lead to Ibrox.

One look at their ownership structure may provide a clue to their rise. Tony Bloom, Brighton & Hove Albion Chairman, became majority shareholder in 2018, before selling his stake in the summer. We know only too well how well Brighton have operated in their own rise into European football.

After dropping into the Europa League following their loss to Rangers, Union Saint-Gilloise embarked on a fantastic run to the quarter-finals, before going down to Bayer Leverkusen, managed by our very own Xabi Alonso. Within Union’s ranks you can find a Kevin Mac Allister – not of Home Alone fame, but the brother of our Alexis.

Despite being something of an unknown quantity to Liverpool, you can see from their recent pedigree that this is going to be a very tricky test for the Reds on Thursday night. Certainly one for us to look forward to.

As for Liverpool, the League Cup and Europa League are providing us with an excellent opportunity to provide the squad with appropriate game time and rest the likes of Mo Salah. The early stages of these competitions are going to be so vital for the development of the likes of Jarell Quansah, Harvey Elliott, Curtis Jones and Ben Doak, who may not have tasted the same experience of European football had we been in the Champions League. In addition to that quartet, the work done in the summer has made the squad look undeniably stronger on paper, a fact borne out by the sides we have been able to field in both competitions so far, all of whom I would expect to contribute this season. After the debacle of the Spurs game, this is a welcome respite from the Premier League and hopefully we can take out any lingering frustrations in style.

My predicted line up (4-3-3) – Kelleher, Bajcetic, Matip, Quansah, Tsimikas, Endo, Gravenberch, Elliott, Doak, Jota, Nunez

Come on you mighty Reds! YNWA

« Last Edit: October 5, 2023, 09:50:16 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: EL: Liv vs USG
« Reply #1 on: October 5, 2023, 06:54:33 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2 on: October 5, 2023, 07:21:17 pm »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2023, 08:00:36 pm »
0 underway
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2023, 08:06:02 pm »
5 free kick to the reds 35 yards out, taken short and we recycle.

They win it back, then given it away, Mo in on goal one on one but the keeper deflects it behind

They clear the corner

« Last Edit: October 5, 2023, 08:08:04 pm by duvva 💅 »
W

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2023, 08:08:15 pm »
5 free kick to the reds 35 yards out, taken short and we recycle.

They win it back, then given it away, Mo in on goal one on one but the keeper deflects it behind

They clear the corner

Goalie was slow off his line there, thought Mo might have done better but it was a good save
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2023, 08:09:31 pm »
Gravenberch has made a lively start

As I was saying :)

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 5, 2023, 08:10:20 pm »
9 terrific break down the right by Graven beach… one two with Tsimikas and havoc in their area

The ball is in the net.  Gravenberch with a rasping shot parried by the keeper, Nuñez follows up and puts it away, but he’s offside
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2023, 08:12:24 pm »
12 Gravenberch down the left again and a cross field  ball finds Mo..

Nice football 
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 5, 2023, 08:13:44 pm »
Macca's brother pushes Jota over, hope he gets a bit of stick from his brother for that.  ;D

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #10 on: October 5, 2023, 08:14:03 pm »
Gravenberch has started very well!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 5, 2023, 08:14:28 pm »
They give the ball away, Elliot drives into the area and shoots across the face of goal.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 5, 2023, 08:15:14 pm »
Over to Jill…

W

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 5, 2023, 08:15:39 pm »
One way traffic at the moment, hopefully make the breakthrough soon

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 5, 2023, 08:16:28 pm »
15 We attack again the ball ends up with Nunez who tries a shot/cross? Easy for the goalie either way.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 5, 2023, 08:17:45 pm »
16 That was a lovely sweeping move. It started with Elliot who pushed it forward to Grav and he put a gorgeous ball through to Nunez who perhaps should have done better.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 5, 2023, 08:18:21 pm »
16 That was a lovely sweeping move. It started with Elliot who pushed it forward to Grav and he put a gorgeous ball through to Nunez who perhaps should have done better.
What a move. Brilliant from Harvey and then Mo, less said about the finish the better

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 5, 2023, 08:18:40 pm »
I’d be disappointed with that finish to be fair
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 5, 2023, 08:19:42 pm »
18 I have been really impressed with Elliot-Grav partnership so far, both are really well involved and pushing us forward very well.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 5, 2023, 08:21:23 pm »
Nunez should have buried it. Love the positive play by us so far though.
Some nice combinations
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 5, 2023, 08:21:42 pm »
20 Another, nice move. A lovely floating cross field ball from Trent, finds Elliot who puts a good cross in but Salah heads straight at the keeper.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 5, 2023, 08:23:02 pm »
22 Another sensational ball from Trent which Salah runs onto but the keepers just gets there first.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 5, 2023, 08:25:10 pm »
24 A quiet bit of the game, and we probably need to up the tempo a bit as its all a bit too comfortable for USG.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 5, 2023, 08:26:53 pm »
25 Tsimikas gives away a foul and USG get a free kick. It''s crossed in and Nilsson heads over.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 5, 2023, 08:27:58 pm »
26 Jota gets fouled and it's checked but to be honest he doesn't make anything of it and play continues.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 5, 2023, 08:28:41 pm »
Taken our foot off the pedal a bit here, need to get going again

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 5, 2023, 08:29:50 pm »
28 Nothing much to report, USG have everyone back and we are continuing to not especially play with much pace. So it's all a bit frustrating.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 5, 2023, 08:30:08 pm »
That’s a absolute filth from Gravenberch….

W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 5, 2023, 08:31:24 pm »
31 A bit scrappy we misplace the ball and give a free kick away. USG have a player down injured.

Over to duvva.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 5, 2023, 08:31:58 pm »
That’s a absolute filth from Gravenberch….

He's been one of the brighter sparks so far.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 5, 2023, 08:32:50 pm »
32 back underway after a break for an injury for one of theirs who was pole axed (legally) by Quansah

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 5, 2023, 08:34:26 pm »
33 Free kick to us for handball, after Harvey won the ball back after initially losing it

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 5, 2023, 08:35:13 pm »
34 Not one of Tsimikas best efforts bends away from the goal and goes behind for a goal kick

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 5, 2023, 08:36:36 pm »
35 Ball over the top from Konate, difficult angle for Nunez. Keeper saves for a corner

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 5, 2023, 08:37:23 pm »
36 Second corner from Kostas ends up with Trent who shoots first time from over 30 yards out and its over and wide

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 5, 2023, 08:40:45 pm »
39 All too slow at the moment, plenty of possession but not able to do anything with it

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 5, 2023, 08:41:01 pm »
Need to up the pace here… too safe and certain
W

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 5, 2023, 08:43:40 pm »
43 GOAL - GRAVENBERCH - GK error, spilling Trents shot from outside the box. Broke well after one of our worst periods of the game and made the most of it, Ryan tapping in

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Re: EL: Liv 1 vs 0 USG Gravenberch 43’
« Reply #38 on: October 5, 2023, 08:44:38 pm »
Can see a big difference in midfield without Dom running the show.

Gravenberch ain’t bad mind you
W

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: EL: Liv 1 vs 0 USG Gravenberch 43’
« Reply #39 on: October 5, 2023, 08:45:52 pm »
44 Corner to them after Konate guides it behind ends with a free kick to us