Author Topic: Daniel Andre Sturridge  (Read 1157219 times)

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Daniel Andre Sturridge
« Reply #8120 on: July 16, 2014, 04:59:00 pm »
. I like sturridge, but i dont want to love him.

Like the players but don't love the players. Love the club.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:00:37 pm by LFC_when_it_suits »

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8121 on: July 16, 2014, 05:47:15 pm »
Thinking about throwing money on him finishing top scorer in the league just need to have a look at some odds!

Offline jimbo1962

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8122 on: July 18, 2014, 11:03:36 am »
hope to see him, and the others on national duty, bounce back from a pretty shit world cup

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8123 on: July 18, 2014, 11:10:25 am »
YNWA.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8124 on: July 18, 2014, 11:12:49 am »
Has he been given his pay bump yet?
YNWA.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8125 on: July 18, 2014, 11:13:40 am »
Has he been given his pay bump yet?

Nope, if I was a betting man i'd say they'll do a few at once after the American tour
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #8126 on: July 18, 2014, 12:49:58 pm »
This season is massive for Sturridge, but this is a massive positive for me.

When we bought him, he was already a second choice behind Suarez - which most other players on the planet would also be – so he had to accept playing 2nd fiddle to him.
He was also a behind Drogba at Chelsea and was too young at City to command anything.

This means this is first first opportunity to show the world he can be the No1 striker at a massive club, and he is more than capable of doing it.
He is currently priced at a modest £25-£30m in my opinion, which means we already have a good priced Premier League goal scorer in place to fill Luis’ boots AND be the focal point of the Liverpool attack

Does anyone else feel that most people outside the Liverpool fan base are overlooking this boys’ potential?
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8127 on: July 18, 2014, 01:04:08 pm »

When we bought him, he was already a second choice behind Suarez - which most other players on the planet would also be – so he had to accept playing 2nd fiddle to him.
He was also a behind Drogba at Chelsea and was too young at City to command anything.

This means this is first first opportunity to show the world he can be the No1 striker at a massive club, and he is more than capable of doing it.
He is currently priced at a modest £25-£30m in my opinion, which means we already have a good priced Premier League goal scorer in place to fill Luis’ boots AND be the focal point of the Liverpool attack

Does anyone else feel that most people outside the Liverpool fan base are overlooking this boys’ potential?

Yeah Sturridge is criminally under rated by some opposition fans.

Seen lots saying he only scored so much because of Suarez, missing out the fact that he actually scored regularly during his ban
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Coutinholycow

• King Midas. If he pays £50m for a single tomato, that tomato is worth £50m.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8128 on: July 19, 2014, 06:22:19 pm »
Lambert took #9

Is Sturridge the new #7?

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8129 on: July 19, 2014, 06:23:22 pm »
Lambert took #9

Is Sturridge the new #7?

He actually like his number 15.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8130 on: July 19, 2014, 06:54:39 pm »
Lambert took #9

Is Sturridge the new #7?

That'll be Di Maria

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8131 on: July 19, 2014, 07:04:28 pm »

yes. and i wouldn't be surprised if he hit 30+ goals next season playing as the central striker. he really does have everything- pace, power, finishing, movement, good footwork, decent with weaker foot, brilliant with preferred foot and scores goals with his head too, though that would be the area for most improvement. and maybe sometimes be a bit less selfish but that's not such a bad thing in striker.

most of all what i like is the fact that he seems to relish being in the spotlight.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8132 on: July 19, 2014, 07:21:42 pm »
Will Remy earn more than Sturridge? If so I hope this doesn't unsettle him.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8133 on: July 19, 2014, 07:28:57 pm »

Sturridge unsettled? Pfft too cool for that.

Offline Coutinholycow

• King Midas. If he pays £50m for a single tomato, that tomato is worth £50m.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8134 on: July 19, 2014, 07:31:08 pm »

Remy is taking a pay cut from what I've heard and/or Sturridge is going to get a raise

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8135 on: July 22, 2014, 08:26:07 pm »
Looks like he may have picked up an injury in training:

Daniel Sturridge ‏@D_Sturridge 7m

I need the banter, look at the state of me. Doing anything to recover right now. The feeling on my legs is weird!! pic.twitter.com/wL1Upn8wW4

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8136 on: July 22, 2014, 08:30:12 pm »

I need the banter, look at the state of me. Doing anything to recover right now. The feeling on my legs is weird!! pic.twitter.com/wL1Upn8wW4

Not an injury I think - more like exhausted from the training.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8137 on: July 22, 2014, 08:35:23 pm »

I think that these are inflatable cuffs that go around the legs.

They can be inflated and deflated to a rhythm and in doing so provide a massaging effect on the legs....

They use them in operating theatres and I reckon it's the same thing.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8138 on: July 22, 2014, 10:45:56 pm »
I hope people aren't disappointed with Sturridge if he "only" scores 25 goals this upcoming season.  A 1/2 goal to game ratio over a 50 game season is absolutely fantastic.  Alan Shearer might be the best striker in England in recent times and he scored 283 goals in 559 club games, almost exactly 1 in 2.

The chances are that Sturridge's goal scoring rate is unsustainable, even if he plays very well, and I hope he doesn't get crap for not being as astonishing as he has been for Liverpool so far.  If he continues at this rate then we will have perhaps the best striker in the world.  He has scored at basically the same rate (31 in 43) as Luis Suarez (69 in 110) did while at Liverpool.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #8139 on: July 22, 2014, 10:46:29 pm »
Stevie could crown him this year the way he has done in the past with many a striker. If Daniel runs Stevie will find him and if i was sturridge id be excited this season now that he will be the main man in a team set to counter with pace at times.

Someone with his pace will be leathal with early quality service. Torres never knew anything like it before or since.

Leagues top scorer this year if he can stay fit.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #8140 on: July 22, 2014, 11:03:41 pm »
I hope people aren't disappointed with Sturridge if he "only" scores 25 goals this upcoming season.  A 1/2 goal to game ratio over a 50 game season is absolutely fantastic.  Alan Shearer might be the best striker in England in recent times and he scored 283 goals in 559 club games, almost exactly 1 in 2.

The chances are that Sturridge's goal scoring rate is unsustainable, even if he plays very well, and I hope he doesn't get crap for not being as astonishing as he has been for Liverpool so far.  If he continues at this rate then we will have perhaps the best striker in the world.  He has scored at basically the same rate (31 in 43) as Luis Suarez (69 in 110) did while at Liverpool.

Build the attack around maximizing his output, and he'll maintain this output IMO. He's got everything you want from a world class striker really. Keep him fit, and I reckon 30 goals this season is a very attainable goal for Sturridge. He's scored in every competition, every sort of opposition he's come up against. He'll surpass Torres's peak as a player under Rodgers.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8141 on: July 22, 2014, 11:30:00 pm »
Build the attack around maximizing his output, and he'll maintain this output IMO. He's got everything you want from a world class striker really. Keep him fit, and I reckon 30 goals this season is a very attainable goal for Sturridge. He's scored in every competition, every sort of opposition he's come up against. He'll surpass Torres's peak as a player under Rodgers.
This is what I'm talking about, if he gets 30 goals a season he will be as good as Thierry Henry at Arsenal. Better than Keegan, better than Dalglish, better than Aldridge(at scoring goals).  Thinking that is "very attainable" is setting expectations at a supremely high level.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #8142 on: July 23, 2014, 03:00:20 am »
This is what I'm talking about, if he gets 30 goals a season he will be as good as Thierry Henry at Arsenal. Better than Keegan, better than Dalglish, better than Aldridge(at scoring goals).  Thinking that is "very attainable" is setting expectations at a supremely high level.

He scored 20 last season while sharing the striker's role with Suarez. Depending on how Brendan views Remy's role in the squad, I think it's likely that Sturridge will spend a lot more time as the focal point of the attack this season. Comparisons with past players from different eras is always a tricky thing because of all the variables involved.

Purely in terms of goal output though, I think he can do it.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #8143 on: July 23, 2014, 02:16:29 pm »

He's already broken a lot of club goalscoring records. While we all had our eye on that Uruguayan fella (what was his name?) Sturridge was out there notching up the quickest 30 goals in the history of Liverpool Football Club. And he's on track to get to 50 quicker than anyone has.

He only made 33 appearances in all competitions last season, too, racking up 24 goals in the process. That's a goal every 1.4 games. (Matching his rate the previous year.)

He could easily play 50 or more this season, which at his usual rate of scoring would put him somewhere around 35 goals for the year.

While the loss of his old partner might have some effect on him, history suggests that if anything, Sturridge is even more likely to score when he is the focus of the attack. 11 goals in 10 games while Suarez was suspended tells its own story.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8144 on: July 23, 2014, 07:22:30 pm »
There is no debate that Sturridge has scored at a phenomenal rate at Liverpool.  There is no debate that the team will be organized in such a way for him to be put in the same sort of positions to score.  But strikers go through purple patches where they score at a much higher rate than is their average.  Papiss Cisse at Newcastle scored at over a goal a game when he arrived and now scores in 1 in 7.  we all know about Fernando Torres.

Sturridge has scored at about one goal every 2.5 games in his career, including his time at Liverpool.  Before Liverpool he scored at less than one in three (which is why he was sold).  He's in his prime, playing in his best position that results in the most scoring opportunities so I expect him to score at a rate better than his career average, but the most likely thing is that he will not continue to score at this phenomenal rate.  Thirty goals in a season is better than the top scorer in Italy has ever done.

Maybe Sturridge becomes one of the top five players in the world, I certainly hope he does, and he has the skill set to make that possible.  My only hope is that should he simply be a very good player, which I think is the most likely thing to happen, that people aren't disappointed by his performances.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8145 on: July 23, 2014, 07:25:13 pm »
WTF I'm not getting this who's been disappointed the season hasn't even started yet and he's not even played a game.

His record at Liverpool is outstanding.  he just needs to carry on doing what he's been doing and the rest will follow.

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8146 on: July 23, 2014, 07:46:54 pm »
WTF I'm not getting this who's been disappointed the season hasn't even started yet and he's not even played a game.

His record at Liverpool is outstanding.  he just needs to carry on doing what he's been doing and the rest will follow.

My point is that it is unlikely that he will continue to do what he has been doing, not because he is crap, or lazy, or somehow has a problem, but because almost no-one in the world keeps doing what he's been doing.  The general sentiment on this thread is exactly what you suggest, that he will keep doing what he has been doing, or even improve on it.  I don't want Daniel to be shat on when/if that doesn't happen.  I don't want people to be disappointed that Sturridge isn't miles better than Robbie Fowler, which is what people are predicting.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8147 on: July 23, 2014, 07:51:22 pm »
That's not how the guy even sees himself he has this confidence about him where he thinks he's the best striker on the planet and what's his record for us.  32 goals in 40 odd games or something?

But I get what you mean there were games last season where he didn't score and you'd notice the selfish comments popping up.  he won't get  much praise from a few on here for some weird reason.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8148 on: July 23, 2014, 11:17:40 pm »
There is no debate that Sturridge has scored at a phenomenal rate at Liverpool.  There is no debate that the team will be organized in such a way for him to be put in the same sort of positions to score.  But strikers go through purple patches where they score at a much higher rate than is their average.  Papiss Cisse at Newcastle scored at over a goal a game when he arrived and now scores in 1 in 7.  we all know about Fernando Torres.

Sturridge has scored at about one goal every 2.5 games in his career, including his time at Liverpool.  Before Liverpool he scored at less than one in three (which is why he was sold).  He's in his prime, playing in his best position that results in the most scoring opportunities so I expect him to score at a rate better than his career average, but the most likely thing is that he will not continue to score at this phenomenal rate.  Thirty goals in a season is better than the top scorer in Italy has ever done.

Maybe Sturridge becomes one of the top five players in the world, I certainly hope he does, and he has the skill set to make that possible.  My only hope is that should he simply be a very good player, which I think is the most likely thing to happen, that people aren't disappointed by his performances.

I don't think he needs to be one of the top five players in the world to get 30 goals in a season. Shearer never was. Rush never was. Personally, I think he'll get close to that in all competitions, with twenty or so in the league again.

He's not playing in Italy, so I don't see the relevance, it's a different footballing culture over there, the big teams will traditionally try to defend a 1-0 lead rather than go out to smash someone by five or six as we're doing at the moment.

As for career best vs current best, the best guide to a striker's form is usually the previous season, especially if he remains at the same club under the same manager, in the same role. He's at an age where strikers tend to improve rather than peak. If you look at how he was used at his previous clubs, you'll see that he was either very, very young, or played wide or (at Bolton) prolific.

He has everything going for him this season, there is no rational reason at all to believe that his conversion rate will suffer, the only question is whether he will get as many chances. We've added players in Markovic and Lallana who specialise in providing chances. We've seen in the recent past that he actually scores more often without Suarez in the side.

Eighteen months of consistent performance is not a fluke. 35 goals in 49 games is not a fluke.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8149 on: July 23, 2014, 11:31:06 pm »
So what will you think of Sturridge if he then manages 20 goals next season?

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8150 on: July 23, 2014, 11:32:45 pm »
So what will you think of Sturridge if he then manages 20 goals next season?

I'm pretty confident he will easily do that. Anything over 18 is excellent, though.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8151 on: July 23, 2014, 11:36:44 pm »
I'm pretty confident he will easily do that. Anything over 18 is excellent, though.

Hoorah!  You aren't one of the ones I'm worried about.  Thanks for getting where I am coming from.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8152 on: July 24, 2014, 12:05:51 am »
Hoorah!  You aren't one of the ones I'm worried about.  Thanks for getting where I am coming from.

Mate, even if he doesn't get a goal until Christmas, I'll be supporting him. I'm not one to turn against my own.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #8153 on: July 24, 2014, 02:55:40 am »
Sturridge is being interviewed post-game on NBCSN.

Gotta say there's no player I enjoy watching interviewed more than Sturridge. He's so damn "real", speaking his mind and just being himself. Especially when you have all these boring boring guys churning out the usual "erm on another day, uhmm yeah get your head down and work hard,, erm footie, erm whatever" bullshit :D

Offline Liver-Land

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8154 on: July 24, 2014, 02:57:26 am »
He's just given a great interview on NBCSN..anyone see it? He has really got his feet on the ground, has a great sense of humour and a lot of faith and belief in himself.

After watching him talk, I just get the feeling that this is going to be a really really special season for the guy.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8155 on: July 24, 2014, 02:58:44 am »
Yeah, next season is going to be his best yet.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #8156 on: July 24, 2014, 02:59:15 am »

He was scoring 1 in 3 from the wing, which was pretty phenomenal. He was sold because he wasn't "shiny" enough for Roman Ambramovich (especially when they could go out and buy whoever they wanted), not for being poor.

Offline Liver-Land

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8157 on: July 24, 2014, 02:59:38 am »
Sturridge is being interviewed post-game on NBCSN.

Gotta say there's no player I enjoy watching interviewed more than Sturridge. He's so damn "real", speaking his mind and just being himself. Especially when you have all these boring boring guys churning out the usual "erm on another day, uhmm yeah get your head down and work hard,, erm footie, erm whatever" bullshit :D

You must be watching from the States too?

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #8158 on: July 24, 2014, 03:19:56 am »
You must be watching from the States too?
Nope, was just watching the NBCSN stream to avoid having to be informed about what Dean Saunders had for breakfast on tour in 1989  ;)

You don't have to be a yank to appreciate Sturridge's cool persona  8)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:21:30 am by rickardinho1 »

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
« Reply #8159 on: July 24, 2014, 03:21:17 am »
The interview was pure class, looks like he's bulked up during the summer
Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA