Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3306859 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #27880 on: February 15, 2023, 01:39:23 pm »
Some mad comments from Neil on TAW live, showing sympathy with Guardiola.

Isn’t it more the fact that the managers are the ones tasked with fronting the entire enterprise? High levels of accountability given there are people higher up who answer zero questions on the corruption stuff.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27881 on: February 15, 2023, 02:57:48 pm »
Isn’t it more the fact that the managers are the ones tasked with fronting the entire enterprise? High levels of accountability given there are people higher up who answer zero questions on the corruption stuff.

I admire your quest to support everything TAW, but come on mate, Guardiola is intelligent enough to know that City getting a better income stream than anyone else is ridiculous.

He knows they are cheating, and he benefits from it.  If you dont want to answer questions on dodgy owners, dont manage Manchester City.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 02:59:41 pm by Kenny's Jacket »
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27882 on: February 15, 2023, 04:11:57 pm »

Yeah, I don’t think it’s particularly mad to say that while I might not agree (at all) with how Guardiola’s gone about it, the fact that the manager is almost always the first person having to speak on major off field matters with regards to their club is crap. See also Klopp in April 2021.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27883 on: February 15, 2023, 04:14:05 pm »
Yeah, I don’t think it’s particularly mad to say that while I might not agree (at all) with how Guardiola’s gone about it, the fact that the manager is almost always the first person having to speak on major off field matters with regards to their club is crap. See also Klopp in April 2021.

You are comparing a complicit manager with a non complicit one.  .
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27884 on: February 15, 2023, 04:20:43 pm »
You are comparing a complicit manager with a non complicit one.  .

No I’m not. I just believe that if any major off field incident happens at a football club, then it shouldn’t be down to someone whose main focus is on the field to front up and speak to the press about it. Like I said in the post you’re quoting, I don’t agree with how Guardiola’s gone about it at all. I think he’s made a show of himself and I don’t have any sympathy for him. But the proof that it’s a completely batshit way of handling things is right there in Guardiola’s comments on the record about Abu Dhabi owning Manchester City.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27885 on: February 15, 2023, 04:27:14 pm »
No I’m not. I just believe that if any major off field incident happens at a football club, then it shouldn’t be down to someone whose main focus is on the field to front up and speak to the press about it. Like I said in the post you’re quoting, I don’t agree with how Guardiola’s gone about it at all. I think he’s made a show of himself and I don’t have any sympathy for him. But the proof that it’s a completely batshit way of handling things is right there in Guardiola’s comments on the record about Abu Dhabi owning Manchester City.

So you dont have sympathy, which is my entire point. He doesnt deserve any.
Oh and yes yoy are.  FSG joining the ESL was a shock to Klopp and one he disagreed with (not complicit)
Guardiola knows City cant command those revenue streams and so must be cheating , but benefits from it. (complicit)

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27886 on: February 15, 2023, 04:33:16 pm »
So you dont have sympathy, which is my entire point. He doesnt deserve any.
Oh and yes yoy are.  FSG joining the ESL was a shock to Klopp and one he disagreed with (not complicit)
Guardiola knows City cant command those revenue streams and so must be cheating , but benefits from it. (complicit)

No I’m not. I’m just pointing out how it was shit that Klopp was made to front up. No comparisons made there. Just pointing out why I think it should never be the manager’s job. That’s the point that I’m making, and you’ve made yours. There’s nothing more to it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 04:35:11 pm by ljycb »

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27887 on: February 15, 2023, 04:41:31 pm »
No I’m not. I’ve made my point and you’ve made yours. There’s nothing more to it.

Your involvement in this discussion has been strange to say the least.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/complicit
complicit
adjective
UK  /kəmˈplɪs.ɪt/ US  /kəmˈplɪs.ɪt/

involved in or knowing about a crime or some activity that is wrong

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27888 on: February 15, 2023, 05:11:08 pm »
Your involvement in this discussion has been strange to say the least.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/complicit
complicit
adjective
UK  /kəmˈplɪs.ɪt/ US  /kəmˈplɪs.ɪt/

involved in or knowing about a crime or some activity that is wrong

Are we having two different conversations here? None of the points that I’ve been making have been to suggest that Guardiola is not complicit. Do you think that I believe Guardiola to be innocent in all of this? Let’s take it back to your original gripe - do you think Neil Atkinson believes that Guardiola is innocent in all of this? Because it’s certainly not what I’m suggesting - my problem is with cowards in a boardroom not coming forward to speak on major off field issues and leaving it to the manager. So you suggesting that I don’t think Guardiola is complicit is either yourself getting a little confused or yourself being a disingenuous little shit. Let me know.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27889 on: February 15, 2023, 05:51:48 pm »
you compared the situation with Klopp faced in 21 with the one Guardiola is in now

Then when I pointed out why that comparison was, in my opinion problematic, you denied making the comparison.

and then rudely suggested I was being disingenous.

As for Neils opinion; how can you have sympathy with him if you think hes not *innocent, and how can you think hes  *innocent, hence my original post saying it was a mad take.

*Ive used the word innocent mirror your question re Neil, I prefer the word complicit as the opposite of innocent is guilty and I dont think we can accuse him of false accounting.  Not wanting to be pedantic. I just want to make that distinction.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #27890 on: February 15, 2023, 05:53:34 pm »
Any chance we can return to talking about The Anfield Wrap?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27891 on: February 15, 2023, 06:04:15 pm »
you compared the situation with Klopp faced in 21 with the one Guardiola is in now

Then when I pointed out why that comparison was, in my opinion problematic, you denied making the comparison.

and then rudely suggested I was being disingenous.

As for Neils opinion; how can you have sympathy with him if you think hes not *innocent, and how can you think hes  *innocent, hence my original post saying it was a mad take.

*Ive used the word innocent mirror your question re Neil, I prefer the word complicit as the opposite of innocent is guilty and I dont think we can accuse him of false accounting.  Not wanting to be pedantic. I just want to make that distinction.

Yeah, let's move on. I think the point that I'm making is quite clear, but if you disagree with me or find what I'm saying to be problematic then that's absolutely sound. If you were not being disingenuous then my apologies for suggesting that you were.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27892 on: February 16, 2023, 08:06:18 am »
They should get the arsenal fan back on.

Also pancakes are garbage. That's why people throw all kinds of shit on them to make them vaguely edible.

If they were so good, you'd have them all year and plain
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 08:15:48 am by red_Mark1980 »

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27893 on: February 16, 2023, 08:59:21 am »
I admire your quest to support everything TAW,

I don’t. Read my posts. I’ve regularly disagreed with opinions made on shows. I do, however, read stuff on here that I think is overdone in terms of criticism.

On the Guardiola point, I don’t think anyone is sympathetic towards his position on City’s corruption. That’s clearly not the point that was made on the show, nor the one I was proposing.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27894 on: February 16, 2023, 09:25:30 am »
I don’t. Read my posts. I’ve regularly disagreed with opinions made on shows. I do, however, read stuff on here that I think is overdone in terms of criticism.

On the Guardiola point, I don’t think anyone is sympathetic towards his position on City’s corruption. That’s clearly not the point that was made on the show, nor the one I was proposing.

You were suggesting it should not be up to football managers to face questions on the owners. When you have a manager who is complicit and benefits drom the actions of the owners, I think its fair to ask them about it.

, I don’t think anyone is sympathetic towards his position on City’s corruption.

If there is no sympathy for him, then why give a fuck if he has to answer questions on the subject.

If you are complicit in a crime, you face questions, its how it works.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 09:34:41 am by Kenny's Jacket »

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27895 on: February 16, 2023, 10:13:04 am »
You were suggesting it should not be up to football managers to face questions on the owners. When you have a manager who is complicit and benefits drom the actions of the owners, I think its fair to ask them about it.

If there is no sympathy for him, then why give a fuck if he has to answer questions on the subject.

If you are complicit in a crime, you face questions, its how it works.

Not invalid. But there are people more guilty of the workings of the club who get through life never answering anything while the manager does it twice a week. That’s a supreme imbalance in terms of scrutiny and accountability. That’s my basic point. Apologies if I’ve been, hitherto, unclear.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27896 on: February 16, 2023, 10:22:46 am »
Not invalid. But there are people more guilty of the workings of the club who get through life never answering anything while the manager does it twice a week. That’s a supreme imbalance in terms of scrutiny and accountability. That’s my basic point. Apologies if I’ve been, hitherto, unclear.

This is evidently true, however I just don't think its enough to elicit sympathy for Guardiola, especially when hes posting ceebratory photos after they got off on technicalities with CAS.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27897 on: February 16, 2023, 10:25:28 am »
So pancakes...

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27898 on: February 16, 2023, 10:27:13 am »
So pancakes...

Is Guttman doing a recipe?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27899 on: February 16, 2023, 10:32:31 am »
Is Guttman doing a recipe?

Lizzy on AFQ was going on about how great they are and to be honest I'm tired of the TAW Pancake agenda, they are all on the Nutella payroll

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27900 on: February 16, 2023, 10:33:49 am »
Lizzy on AFQ was going on about how great they are and to be honest I'm tired of the TAW Pancake agenda, they are all on the Nutella payroll

Worried about losing access to My Old Dutch.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27901 on: February 16, 2023, 10:52:07 am »
Neil, great chat with the 2 lads on the Paris Independent Report. Really admirable men. Diligence, intelligence and patience. Really laid out the "big holes" dynamic that has kept repeating itself. Keep on it Neil, you did a great job of the interview. Fascinating.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27902 on: February 16, 2023, 12:37:48 pm »

Pancake Day isnt till next Tuesday, so Ill see you then.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27903 on: February 16, 2023, 01:58:35 pm »
People putting Nutella on pancakes are doing it wrong anyway.
Nutella is so sugar heavy that it completely obliterates any other flavour.
Pancakes (crepes, not the weird, thick american shit) are best consumed with thin filling of various jams or honey/nut combos.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27904 on: February 16, 2023, 02:08:34 pm »
If Ghost Town thinks Neil's comments on Guardiola were off topic, wait till he sees all this pancake waffle, he will flip.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27905 on: February 16, 2023, 03:41:30 pm »
Nutella pancakes are for anyone born after 1995.

True pancake connoisseurs will select jif lemon and sugar. End of.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27906 on: February 16, 2023, 03:43:36 pm »
Nutella pancakes are for anyone born after 1995.

True pancake connoisseurs will select jif lemon and sugar. End of.

It’s Cif now. And I prefer Viakal on there. Bit more industrial.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27907 on: February 16, 2023, 03:51:31 pm »

Do you live in a hard water area?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #27908 on: February 16, 2023, 04:06:09 pm »
If Ghost Town thinks Neil's comments on Guardiola were off topic, wait till he sees all this pancake waffle, he will flip.
You can Shrove it where the sun don't shine!

(best I could so ;))
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27909 on: February 16, 2023, 07:42:00 pm »
You can Shrove it where the sun don't shine!

(best I could so ;))

Decent effort  :thumbup

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #27910 on: February 16, 2023, 08:38:21 pm »

I think Cif is scouring creme :D :D!!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #27911 on: February 16, 2023, 08:42:51 pm »
Today’s AFQ.

Andy’s opinion on our blue brethren has made me re-evaluate my position..  marvellous trolling 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #27912 on: February 18, 2023, 04:18:31 pm »
The Friday Show… did Dan Austin say something about Sterling and Vardy being the same age? I was driving at the time so couldn’t look it up and it has stuck in my head all day. Turns out it’s not the case - Sterling is 28 and Vardy 36. Not sure if I misheard or it was something that went over my head.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27913 on: February 18, 2023, 04:24:51 pm »
The Friday Show… did Dan Austin say something about Sterling and Vardy being the same age? I was driving at the time so couldn’t look it up and it has stuck in my head all day. Turns out it’s not the case - Sterling is 28 and Vardy 36. Not sure if I misheard or it was something that went over my head.

It's the point that they've been playing for about the same amount of time.

In that sterling started young and Vardy was playing lower league until fairly late

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #27914 on: February 18, 2023, 04:34:04 pm »
It's the point that they've been playing for about the same amount of time.

In that sterling started young and Vardy was playing lower league until fairly late

Makes more sense now! Cheers :)

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27915 on: February 21, 2023, 12:55:36 pm »
Really good room for under the lights, glad it wasn't one of the "talking about past games against them" types considering the opposition  :-\

Offline redhokie8

• Kopite
« Reply #27916 on: February 22, 2023, 01:24:07 pm »
Would love a "review" with Sean Rogers and Paul Cope really discussing how the group have gotten to this point starting Paris and into preseason.

The impact of how that event has affected the team and the fanbase seems understated.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #27917 on: February 22, 2023, 01:27:13 pm »
Sidenote: 'The Dude' on today's Talking Craigs gives real Dudes a bad name.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #27918 on: February 25, 2023, 05:44:38 pm »
In case people haven’t seen, Robbo and Copey have a new podcast together called The Late Challenge where the talk about pretty much anything. Bit of news, bit of football, bit of crisp chat and a fair bit more.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #27919 on: February 25, 2023, 05:46:36 pm »
In case people haven’t seen, Robbo and Copey have a new podcast together called The Late Challenge where the talk about pretty much anything. Bit of news, bit of football, bit of crisp chat and a fair bit more.

Yeah, enjoying it so far. :)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.