Author Topic: Emlyn Hughes and Tommy Smith rivalry  (Read 35137 times)

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
Re: Emlyn Hughes and Tommy Smith rivalry
« Reply #40 on: November 5, 2012, 12:46:37 pm »
I've heard that Tommy Smith never had much use for Heighway either. If so, maybe the jealousy/resentment factor came into play again. In Steve's case he's a rarity - a footballer with a brain.

No not a lot of them did, they would take the piss out of him making up stories about new football boots being made and the makers wanted Liverpool players to wear them, for a nice fee of course, so Heigway would run around making phone calls and making a prick of himself. I have no doubt that he was a great footballer, yes he had a brain but it wasn't that, that made him a great footballer, but great footballers can be intelligent at football and thick as pig shit in normal life. Hope you understand that.  ;D

I remember a story about Mr.Shankly going to David Johnson's house to talk to his parents about him signing for Liverpool, told to me by David, Mr. Shankly kept talking about football and what he could do for David, but Davids mum (Strangely enough called Amy) kept talking about what would LFC do about education, then Mr.Shankly lost his rag and said "for christs sake woman what do you want a professional footballer or a Professor ?" Mrs Johnson told him to leave and as he was walking down the path she shouted after him "next time you want to sign David Johnson it will cost you a fortune" It did we payed Ipswich Town £200,000 for him

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #41 on: November 5, 2012, 02:09:29 pm »
..... but Davids mum (Strangely enough called Amy) ....

That's probably lost on a lot of youngsters these days Vic.

Re the Heighway stuff, I always heard back then that Brian Hall was the real brainy guy (not that I ever met him).
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #42 on: November 5, 2012, 02:33:41 pm »
That's probably lost on a lot of youngsters these days Vic.

Re the Heighway stuff, I always heard back then that Brian Hall was the real brainy guy (not that I ever met him).

I think he was, he is so normal it's untrue and a much nicer person then Heighway, just my opinion. I don't meet up with my mates from those days  often enough, I meet some of them at the "The Shankly Show" and the launch of Karen's (my Daughter) book. One of the things on my "Bucket list" is to have a night out with all my mates on RAWK and my old LFC mates, think it would be a good night
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #43 on: February 7, 2013, 05:17:57 pm »
How did Emlyn get his Crazy Horse nickname?
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #44 on: February 7, 2013, 07:06:40 pm »
How did Emlyn get his Crazy Horse nickname?

He went up and down the pitch like a crazy horse, didnt stop running apparently (I didnt see hime play, just what I have read by the way)
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline WaterfordRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: February 8, 2013, 03:24:16 pm »
I did see him play many times and he always goes straight into my all-time great Liverpool side along with Tommy Smith.
The name came from the Evertonians, as I recall, and it stuck.
SOS 8040

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 01:47:39 pm »
emlyn hughes signed for liverpool on this day in 1967