Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 984494 times)

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
Re: Attacking #20
« Reply #880 on: December 14, 2020, 08:26:38 am »
The media are fucking loving the fact we have injuries so that there is a proper title race.

So much so that they actually aren't really mentioning the injuries we have.

Interesting, really. Basically saying we prefer professionals to be injured in order to give us some more excitement.

Fans more than media are loving how our perceived 'massive amount of luck' last season is now being evened out.

Winning it this year would eclipse last season for me, even if it's with 75pts.  No one would be able to throw one damn complaint at it.  A nip and tuck race involving 6 teams right until the last couple of games, with us winning it would be a dream scenario.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #881 on: December 14, 2020, 08:44:19 am »
18 points out of 18 at home.

7 out of 18 away. 16th in the away league table. Six games in like you said for context.

Lack of goalscorers outside of Salah with Jota injured is gonna hurt us massively over Christmas. Need Mane and especially Firmino to start scoring again.

Away form is definitely a cause for concern, though not panic yet of course. Our ridiculously good home form has the effect though of both throwing the away form into stark relief and negating (to some extent) its consequences.

The crazy thing about the away record is that we've had three very good performances (and perfectly good results) in the toughest games and three poor performances and results against the mediocre teams where we should be getting results.

Still, under all the circumstances, strange results are inevitable. We just need to hang in there for now and be well placed for if/when we enter a better period in terms of form/energy/injuries/VAR.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #882 on: December 14, 2020, 08:52:16 am »
A performance like leicester or Wolves at home against spurs and we are three points clear. Would you have taken that at the start of the season knowing COVID, fixture congestion, City saying they are up for it, Chelsea new signings etc?

Get to January still fighting and we welcome back Thiago & Milner for extra legs plus i think we sign 2 players, a CB which means we can use Fabinho in his position where he is best in the world. Plus another forward as its clear Shaqiri & Origi are not reliable enough and in Div's case, good enough. Minamino, i haven't given up on yet but im struggling to get excited when he is coming on to rescue games. Then we hit February and should see Jota making comeback, if our injury situation stays within the realms of normal as in a player out here and there instead of 7/8 out then we are in a cracking situation

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #883 on: December 14, 2020, 08:54:31 am »
A performance like leicester or Wolves at home against spurs and we are three points clear. Would you have taken that at the start of the season knowing COVID, fixture congestion, City saying they are up for it, Chelsea new signings etc?

Get to January still fighting and we welcome back Thiago & Milner for extra legs plus i think we sign 2 players, a CB which means we can use Fabinho in his position where he is best in the world. Plus another forward as its clear Shaqiri & Origi are not reliable enough and in Div's case, good enough. Minamino, i haven't given up on yet but im struggling to get excited when he is coming on to rescue games. Then we hit February and should see Jota making comeback, if our injury situation stays within the realms of normal as in a player out here and there instead of 7/8 out then we are in a cracking situation

We’d be three clear of Spurs and our nearest perceived rivals. Might still only be one ahead of Leicester and 2 ahead of Southampton. Does that mean Saints would be too now had they not shat the bed against United?!

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #884 on: December 14, 2020, 09:13:46 am »
We are muddling through due to all these injuries. It’s unprecedented in all honesty.

Spurs match feels quite significant in terms of the title race. There’s a lot of negativity with some of our fanbase but win that then we are clear at the top.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #885 on: December 14, 2020, 09:26:11 am »
So long as we stay level with the teams at the top, once we get everyone back we'll get into our stride and seal this.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: December 14, 2020, 10:03:08 am »
We're hanging in there - kind of amazing to be sitting where we are considering the all the injuries and refereeing bias  :wanker

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #887 on: December 14, 2020, 10:17:17 am »
So long as we stay level with the teams at the top, once we get everyone back we'll get into our stride and seal this.

I don't think we can bank on that approach. Jota and Tsimikas injuries are massive in the sense that they will miss not only an intense part of the season but also months where injuries pile up. That's potentially Oxlade-Chamberlain and Milner (one of whom is injured) having to cover there and further depleting midfield options. If anything there is a chance we will have more injuries by the time we are through January.

The only way this eases is through young players becoming regulars in our side for the medium term or a couple of transfers in January.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #888 on: December 14, 2020, 11:07:16 am »
I don't think we can bank on that approach. Jota and Tsimikas injuries are massive in the sense that they will miss not only an intense part of the season but also months where injuries pile up. That's potentially Oxlade-Chamberlain and Milner (one of whom is injured) having to cover there and further depleting midfield options. If anything there is a chance we will have more injuries by the time we are through January.

The only way this eases is through young players becoming regulars in our side for the medium term or a couple of transfers in January.

Its not an approach, its just the reality of our situation. We just need to try to win as many games as we can, but we are going to drop points this season, main thing is to ensure we don't drop off as we have the mentality to win the games when the business end starts
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #889 on: December 14, 2020, 11:54:19 am »
Well...the cold reality of the situation is that we have been affected more than most (especially those competing at the top of the table with us right now) by injuries. And it is taking its toll understandably.

Somehow we are still joint top.

I am hoping for the injury woes to stop for us and increase around us but that is not in our control. Klopp has a tough job on his hands keeping everyone in the right frame of mind and competing as best as possible with the ever-changing first 11 he will put out from game to game. Luckily he is world class and our squad is deep, although sruggling.

If we can make it to end of Jan within 3-4 points of the top its on still. But I actually think we will do better than that as I'm just optimistic about our abilities as a team of champions we will not feel sorry for ourselves and Klopp certainly won't
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #890 on: December 14, 2020, 12:07:15 pm »
The crazy thing about the away record is that we've had three very good performances (and perfectly good results) in the toughest games and three poor performances and results against the mediocre teams where we should be getting results.

In two of those, we've come out slow and they've started like amphetamine-pumped ADHD kids. In each, they've tried to play balls in behind us to exploit a defensive line that's still higher than most. In both, we've conceded in the opening quarter.

Klopp and his team have the impossible task of trying to second-guess the opposition tactics. This is true at all times, but when you've got your first choice XI on the field that's as good as ours, getting it spot on is less important as the consequences of not doing so are less.

This season, there's been a couple of times we've not got it right and due in large part to key player absences (or, early season, poor form), it's bit us way more than it normally would.

I hate this season. The injuries, the decisions perpetually going against us, VAR, inconsistent form, the lack of the '12th man' in the stands roaring us on, the closeness of the league, the media agenda against us ramping up even more.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #891 on: December 14, 2020, 12:59:50 pm »
It's gonna be a season of highs and lows, peaks and troughs. Even if a team like, say, Spurs pulls away for a bit that doesn't mean they'll stay ahead; they'll have their troughs as well. And if we fall back for a bit that doesn't mean we'll stay behind. We just need to keep our nerve and I'm sure this lot will.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: December 14, 2020, 01:19:13 pm »
Thiago back in soon would be really nice.

Please?

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #893 on: December 14, 2020, 01:20:39 pm »
Thiago back in soon would be really nice.

Please?

Unlikely it’s this month
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: December 14, 2020, 01:35:38 pm »
He's back in January right?  Anyone know when in January he's expected back?

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #895 on: December 14, 2020, 02:08:43 pm »
Fans more than media are loving how our perceived 'massive amount of luck' last season is now being evened out.

Winning it this year would eclipse last season for me, even if it's with 75pts.  No one would be able to throw one damn complaint at it.  A nip and tuck race involving 6 teams right until the last couple of games, with us winning it would be a dream scenario.

you are obviously new to the internetz

the mental gymnastics of the troll brigade are really a sight to behold. They WILL come out with some kind of complaint. Pundits like carra and neville will create some kind of hoopla to demean us winning the title again.

choose one of these options

covid 19-20
Salah penalties
Mane diving
pace goals
5/3 subs rule
VAR
Rooney hair transplant

hell even KDB winning the POTY will be used against us when hopefully we attack the title this season.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: December 14, 2020, 09:22:41 pm »
He's back in January right?  Anyone know when in January he's expected back?

Well his injury just keeps flaring up so it is January at earliest. Wouldnt be shocked if it's later than that

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: December 15, 2020, 04:16:44 pm »
No 12.30 kick offs in January, thank God.

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #898 on: December 15, 2020, 04:23:15 pm »
win tomorrow then first game Saturday, we could be 6 clear by 3pm on Saturday.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #899 on: December 15, 2020, 04:26:22 pm »
I'd forgotten we were the first game on Saturday. Another half 12 KO away from home isn't good

Suppose the fixtures for January don't look too bad on paper in regards to kick offs etc
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #900 on: December 15, 2020, 04:30:27 pm »
Palace away worries me more than tomorrow's game given the games we have dropped points in this season so far...

But  a positive is that it'll be their third game in a week as well as ours and are much less used to that sort of game week so hopefully will affect them more. And we won't see the intensity Fulham brought...but that's for another pre-match thread
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #901 on: December 15, 2020, 04:46:48 pm »

BT only do it to piss us off when we've got midweek CL games!

When did all these Thursday night league games suddenly start, is that a one off thing for this season while the games are all being shown?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 04:52:01 pm by redribbon 73% more xmassy »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: December 15, 2020, 05:21:07 pm »

Why the fuck has Burnley been moved forward a week when it was supposed be before Utd? I'd booked the Wednesday off work too ffs expecting it to stay Wednesday 13th. And what's with all the bloody Thursdays for league games?? Monday's and Fridays are bad enough as it is. Klopp will give them a pre-season break now too between Southampton and Utd and sack the FA Cup off.

Offline bornandbRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: December 15, 2020, 05:27:12 pm »

No doubt the vultures are circling and desperate to see us fail. More mental gymnastics abound today around our injury crisis. Fleet St’s favourite team competing with son of St George up top and Mourinho in charge. They are gagging furiously for  the narrative. It will be hilarious to see the inevitable deflation.

Best thing about winning it this season is that once we have VVD/Gomez/Thiago fit and a normal schedule next season we will be in a fantastic position to do it again. Without mentioning Mbappe  ;)

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #904 on: December 15, 2020, 06:08:03 pm »
Anyone know why the Burnley game has moved by a week?
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #905 on: December 15, 2020, 06:12:27 pm »
BT only do it to piss us off when we've got midweek CL games!

When did all these Thursday night league games suddenly start, is that a one off thing for this season while the games are all being shown?
Was just thinking the same, very rare for league or most other domestic games to be played on a Thursday. Maybe it’s to annoy instead of the 12:30 Saturday kick offs they’re saving for when the CL starts up again
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: December 15, 2020, 06:26:56 pm »
If we win Villa in the Cup you can add a 7th game in January for the 4th round, on about Sunday 24th.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 07:13:48 pm by Tis the season to be John C »

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #907 on: December 15, 2020, 07:14:43 pm »
Anyone know why the Burnley game has moved by a week?
Isn't it something weird like instead of a proper winter break this time they've spaced a week's worth of games over two weeks?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #908 on: December 15, 2020, 07:22:05 pm »
Isn't it something weird like instead of a proper winter break this time they've spaced a week's worth of games over two weeks?

They did that last year too didn’t they. And then we had the cup replay in our week off anyway!

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #909 on: December 15, 2020, 07:28:33 pm »
They did that last year too didn’t they. And then we had the cup replay in our week off anyway!
Yeah, they've probably fixed it so the same will happen again to us if they're lucky ;D

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #910 on: December 15, 2020, 08:18:14 pm »
Nice result for Wolves against Chelsea tonight and City unexpectedly drawing - that'll help our cause
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:52:36 pm by Reeves »
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #911 on: December 15, 2020, 08:29:02 pm »
Palace away worries me more than tomorrow's game given the games we have dropped points in this season so far...

But  a positive is that it'll be their third game in a week as well as ours and are much less used to that sort of game week so hopefully will affect them more. And we won't see the intensity Fulham brought...but that's for another pre-match thread

They'll lose their crowd as well. That gave Fulham and Palace a boost on Sunday.

It's going to be a struggle the game though, similar to Brighton. We could have lost their last season but ground it out and they missed good chances and VAR helped us out on one of their goals. Now you just think well Zaha's bound to get at least one penalty.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: December 15, 2020, 10:14:10 pm »
What a crazy season.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: December 15, 2020, 10:14:37 pm »
The saving grace of this season is everyone is looking like they'll struggle to break 80 points at the moment. Even with as many injuries as we've got you really fancy us for 80 points. The key thing though is we stop getting injuries. We simply can't keep picking up 1 injury to a first choice player a game, that is absurdly bad luck and will destroy any momentum we'd otherwise gain. Thiago back would also be a game changer.

Offline bornandbRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: December 15, 2020, 10:18:43 pm »
Do the next 3 and we’re in a great position.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #915 on: December 15, 2020, 10:44:15 pm »
Without injuries we’d have absolutely walked this season similar to last. Even with all the injuries still feel we’re the most likely winners, these players just find a way... we just need to get a few more fit!
They way things are there’s no point to people losing their shit when we drop points, we’ll be there challenging at the end even if things stay as they are. I don’t think anyone other than us is capable of building up a big gap
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #916 on: December 15, 2020, 10:47:55 pm »
Hopefully we can go on a winning run and open up a big gap.

Otherwise anyone could win the league.
#JFT97

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #917 on: December 16, 2020, 12:13:10 am »
Looks more like a normal pre Guardiola arrival season to me .. the weird seasons were the last 3

So points away are never bad, win your home games, don’t lose the big 6 pointers... about 4 or 5 losses and 85 or so points wins the title

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #918 on: December 16, 2020, 04:38:16 am »
Looks more like a normal pre Guardiola arrival season to me .. the weird seasons were the last 3

So points away are never bad, win your home games, don’t lose the big 6 pointers... about 4 or 5 losses and 85 or so points wins the title

4 or 5 losses doesn't cut it at the rate we have been drawing games. I've done a breakdown in this thread to get 80-85 points. We can draw another 6 games and lose 3 games. If we lose 5 games, we can only draw 3 more games, which doesn't seem plausible by how it's been going so far.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #919 on: December 16, 2020, 04:40:12 am »
Hopefully we can go on a winning run and open up a big gap.

Otherwise anyone could win the league.

It's between us, Spurs and City. Leicester, Chelsea under Lampard or Man United under Ole aren't going to do it.