Poll

Obviously the Brexit effects are only just showing and it's going to get a lot, lot worse.. but for now..

.. Brexit is going great. Sunlit fucking plateaus full of fucking wonder
.. Brexit is just taking time, it'll be reet
Moo!
.. Brexit is pretty bad, but maybe will get better
.. Brexit is terrible
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post.
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post AND I like cheese

Author Topic: Brexit. the Con continues  (Read 533672 times)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brexit. the Con continues
« Reply #4920 on: September 22, 2021, 12:17:02 pm »
In the absence of a deal between states WTO tariffs generally kick in which are not superior to those applicable under any deal.  Otherwise why bother negotiating a deal.
It's more what we'd be throwing into the bargain as part of those tariff negotiations.  The US healthcare companies would have eyes on the NHS for starters.  On any deal you can imagine the US technology giants would find their tax status made even sweeter than it already is.

Even on the tariffs there are deals that would be worse than WTO e.g. reducing/removing tariffs on US meat imports such that those imports flood the market and scupper domestic producers.  The flip side to that may be that US reduces/removes tariffs on whisky from the UK and that would benefit a few whisky producers but not enough to offset the damage done elsewhere.

As consumers I agree that almost any deal would be beneficial as it would mean lower prices but allowing us to consume ever more isn't the be all and end all.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4921 on: September 22, 2021, 12:58:14 pm »
It's more what we'd be throwing into the bargain as part of those tariff negotiations.  The US healthcare companies would have eyes on the NHS for starters.  On any deal you can imagine the US technology giants would find their tax status made even sweeter than it already is.

Even on the tariffs there are deals that would be worse than WTO e.g. reducing/removing tariffs on US meat imports such that those imports flood the market and scupper domestic producers.  The flip side to that may be that US reduces/removes tariffs on whisky from the UK and that would benefit a few whisky producers but not enough to offset the damage done elsewhere.

As consumers I agree that almost any deal would be beneficial as it would mean lower prices but allowing us to consume ever more isn't the be all and end all.

I’ve no doubt this government would put everything it can on the table.  What a pity the NI protocol has cornered them.  Bit of a ‘Brexit’ Hobson’s choice scenario.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4922 on: September 22, 2021, 01:20:11 pm »
There is, as a kid we'd all sit and watch the telly together, now the missus watches her shite in the living room, I'll either go on forums or go watch something upstairs and the kids will watch something in their room on youtube.

There was some shite on I'll admit, but that time spent with my Ma watching The Golden Shot, The Good Life, Love Thy Neighbour, Man About the House, The Sweeney etc was precious time I'm glad I had as a kid.

You watched telly as a kid? With other people?

I was never in. I was always out playing Rugby or Footy or running or doing Karate or biking with my mates.

Was barely in the house.

(Until I got my own computer after that, if I was in then I was coding games and apps)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:40:34 pm by Andy @ Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4924 on: September 22, 2021, 02:23:57 pm »
Ireland to UK trade is rocketing so that's a Brexit win for the Republic (trade is tanking in the other direction because of red tape).

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/22/brexit-key-factor-in-huge-drop-in-2021-great-britain-to-ireland-exports

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4925 on: September 22, 2021, 03:24:08 pm »
You watched telly as a kid? With other people?

I was never in. I was always out playing Rugby or Footy or running or doing Karate or biking with my mates.

Was barely in the house.

(Until I got my own computer after that, if I was in then I was coding games and apps)

Only of a night only and when I was younger, although school holidays would be Why Dont You, the flashing blade, stuff like that in the morning before going out. I'd also be at Karate a couple of times in the week, Centre 67, Vernon Sangster or Sheil Road Community centre (where I first saw Kendo). Weekends I'd either be at the match, which meant I was out the house by 12 and not home til 7pm and Sundays would be footy all day. As a teenager I was never in, even in winter we'd just be out messing about, hanging out in Pagsy or scaring ourselves soft at the haunted house.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4926 on: September 22, 2021, 03:26:25 pm »
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ni-coca-cola-production-saved-from-uk-co2-crisis-by-protocol-40873699.html

Its a fucking joke, these c*nts should be fucking executed for fucking the country up. I would quite happily do Albert Pierrepoints job on the likes of Frottage, Johnson, Gove, IDS, Mogg and the other c*nts who pushed this shite through.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4927 on: September 22, 2021, 03:29:00 pm »
Its a fucking joke, these c*nts should be fucking executed for fucking the country up. I would quite happily do Albert Pierrepoints job on the likes of Frottage, Johnson, Gove, IDS, Mogg and the other c*nts who pushed this shite through.

They`re not to blame: they are always in charge, but nothing is ever their fault. Somehow  ???
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4928 on: September 22, 2021, 03:32:57 pm »
If only they invested more in carbon capture utilisation we could be getting CO2 from many more sources.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #4929 on: September 22, 2021, 04:35:58 pm »
Ireland to UK trade is rocketing so that's a Brexit win for the Republic (trade is tanking in the other direction because of red tape).

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/22/brexit-key-factor-in-huge-drop-in-2021-great-britain-to-ireland-exports

What an absolute shit show along with more nonsense from M&S, "you won, get over it" comes to mind

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4930 on: September 22, 2021, 05:41:59 pm »
The President of the US Joe Biden forms his opinions after reading news paper headlines and listening to the EU.  :wanker
Could be worse I suppose, he might have ended up listening to lying leave Tory MPs like George Eustice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ2xYjQzRI0

The US president downplayed the prospects of a trade deal with Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson during talks at the White House and raised concerns about Northern Ireland’s situation.

Environment Secretary George Eustice suggested Mr Biden’s concerns about Northern Ireland were based on “just reading the headlines” and listening to accounts from the European Union.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4931 on: September 22, 2021, 05:46:12 pm »
The President of the US Joe Biden forms his opinions after reading news paper headlines and listening to the EU.  :wanker
Could be worse I suppose, he might have ended up listening to lying leave Tory MPs like George Eustice.

The US president downplayed the prospects of a trade deal with Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson during talks at the White House and raised concerns about Northern Ireland’s situation.

Environment Secretary George Eustice suggested Mr Biden’s concerns about Northern Ireland were based on “just reading the headlines” and listening to accounts from the European Union.

Biden’s now trolling Johnson and his band of brexiteers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/biden-announces-partnership-with-eu-on-global-vaccine-distribution-effort/ar-AAOI3Qw

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4932 on: September 22, 2021, 06:29:37 pm »
If only they invested more in carbon capture utilisation we could be getting CO2 from many more sources.

Standard carbon capture would not produce food grade CO2. Was just reading about how Ineos have just announced a carbon capture project for GRangemouth and same thign was suggested.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #4933 on: September 22, 2021, 08:09:54 pm »

Says a man talking for a government whose main argument is that they were too incompetent to know what they were signing into international and then UK law through their own parliament dominiated by their party passed by them voting for it.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4934 on: September 22, 2021, 08:36:10 pm »

This c*nt needs shooting in the face. You're risking a return of the troubles you evil bastard.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #4935 on: September 22, 2021, 09:04:00 pm »
See the BBC’s website  reporting that “Give me a break” in French “donned moi une break”  means “get a grip”.
Johnson pleading to Macron  becomes Johnson dominant over Macron
Pure horseshit from the BBC
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4936 on: September 22, 2021, 10:00:55 pm »

The George Useless nickname is well earned
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4937 on: September 22, 2021, 10:29:07 pm »
See the BBC’s website  reporting that “Give me a break” in French “donned moi une break”  means “get a grip”.
Johnson pleading to Macron  becomes Johnson dominant over Macron
Pure horseshit from the BBC
I think Johnson meant it as the BBC are reporting it.  He's a performing monkey and "donnez moi un break" is one he's trotted out loads of times before.  Every time he speaks French I shudder.

What really annoys me is that we're just driving an ever bigger wedge between the EU and ourselves.  From 2016 until now we've had countless senior political figures playing to the galleries with anti-EU comments and now those same people bleat on that they think the EU is being vindictive to us.

Macron (/France) holds a lot of power within the EU and that buffoon Johnson certainly has no dominance over him!  Aukus is arguably a good thing but there's such a thing as diplomacy when handling topics like this that is completely lost on the current government.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4938 on: September 22, 2021, 10:46:09 pm »
Meanwhile now the pro Brexit DUP calls for a relaxation of immigration laws. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58652210

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4940 on: September 23, 2021, 06:02:22 am »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4941 on: September 23, 2021, 07:13:37 am »
Shamelessly from the above post

https://twitter.com/m1kebriggs/status/1440596901963788295?s=19

I don't disagree with the point, but Craig Murray is a selfish bastard currently serving a prison sentence for contempt of court for publiching information that could have identified Alex Salmond's accusers.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4942 on: September 23, 2021, 07:38:40 am »
I don't disagree with the point, but Craig Murray is a selfish bastard currently serving a prison sentence for contempt of court for publiching information that could have identified Alex Salmond's accusers.

I had no idea who he was. Most quotes on the internet these days are made up in all fairness :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4943 on: September 23, 2021, 08:12:03 am »
I had no idea who he was. Most quotes on the internet these days are made up in all fairness :)

He's a former British diplomant, now full time conspiracy theorist.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4944 on: September 23, 2021, 10:56:00 am »
Similarly, 68.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4945 on: September 23, 2021, 11:00:28 am »
It's a great quote, though  ;D

So succinctly accurate!!
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4946 on: September 23, 2021, 11:39:02 am »
Standard carbon capture would not produce food grade CO2. Was just reading about how Ineos have just announced a carbon capture project for GRangemouth and same thign was suggested.

There's then ways to clean this gas. Albeit currently expensive ways but it is being done on smaller scale.

Also not many have mentioned but working from home across europe is another additional reason more gas that usual has been used. Heating one office compared to several peoples homes is much more efficient.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4947 on: September 23, 2021, 02:27:15 pm »
I guess in a truly free market the price of food grade CO2 would keep rising until it tempted more new players into the market.  In reality though the time taken to build and get a new food grade CO2 production up-and-running would be so long and the chaos so high that it would never get that far.

Luckily that's why we appoint governments so they can intervene and smooth out those bumps.  Maybe by forecasting these occurrences instead of always seeming like they're utterly surprised by everything happening around them.  In this case the government had to intervene anyway and throw a wad at the providers of the majority of our food grade CO2 - pretty much the worst and most reactive type of intervention possible.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4948 on: September 23, 2021, 02:32:02 pm »
The price would rise until the American company would make a profit by turning on production. Not a new facility.
I hope the government have only offered to subsidies the gas cost for now . Maybe through tax credits of some form.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4949 on: September 23, 2021, 02:47:30 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58645712

BP now shutting petrol stations due to lack of drivers.

Great comment "I think the British people have had enough of petrol stations"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4950 on: September 23, 2021, 02:53:36 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58645712

BP now shutting petrol stations due to lack of drivers.

Great comment "I think the British people have had enough of petrol stations"

You can't magic Tanker drivers out of thin air either, you need to have done a full ADR course and a fuel passport course, plus have years of experience driving HGVs as those fuckers will roll before you know it. I've got ADR and am planning on getting work to train me up on the tankers. I've done flour tankers, but they are a lot more stable, and also aren't a rolling bomb.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4951 on: September 23, 2021, 03:09:23 pm »
I don't know why we're worrying. Boris and his mates are just getting the Brexit unicorns ready to deliver everything.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4952 on: September 23, 2021, 03:23:45 pm »
I don't know why we're worrying. Boris and his mates are just getting the Brexit unicorns ready to deliver everything.

I hope every c*nt who voted for this is fucking proud of themselves.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4953 on: September 23, 2021, 04:01:43 pm »
I hope every c*nt who voted for this is fucking proud of themselves.
I don't know who to believe, all the people who actually work in the industry. all the people  bringing up past statements that prove the leave politicians lied or Charlie down the social club and one of my work m8s who says we have the EU over a barrel, it's confusing.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4954 on: September 23, 2021, 04:07:42 pm »

No mention of the "B-Word" from the BBC as a possible contributing factor:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58668594

However:

"Gas prices are rising all across Europe, but Britain has also been affected by lower winds than usual - denting renewable energy supplies - as well as a recent fire at a National Grid site in Kent."

But, some mention of Brexit in this next article is quashed as a possible factor:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58637094

"Are gas prices rising in Europe?

The rise in global wholesale gas prices has been felt across Europe.

Some suggest Brexit has meant the UK is at a disadvantage when it comes to getting the best deal.

When it was in the EU, the UK was part of the Internal Energy Market which can enable countries to access electricity more smoothly and at lower cost.

However, the way gas is traded has been largely unaffected, which means leaving the EU has not had a significant impact."

The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4956 on: September 23, 2021, 05:23:56 pm »

However, the way gas is traded has been largely unaffected, which means leaving the EU has not had a significant impact."

Don't give them ammunition on things that aren't very Brexit related. There's plenty of Brexit shitshow to go around.
The gas problems seem to stem from other areas of general government mismanagement.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4957 on: September 23, 2021, 05:38:42 pm »
Don't give them ammunition on things that aren't very Brexit related. There's plenty of Brexit shitshow to go around.
The gas problems seem to stem from other areas of general government mismanagement.

UK is generally more expensive than mainland Europe re the cost as we’re effectively at the end of the pipeline (well almost - ireland is at the very end).  Domestically the levies such as tax etc are down to national government.  Another factor domestically is the lack of Gas storage capacity nationally esp after Centrica closed down storage facilities in 2017.  While issues arent necessarily’Brexit’ related they are impacted by national government policy.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #4958 on: September 23, 2021, 06:44:36 pm »
Meanwhile now the pro Brexit DUP calls for a relaxation of immigration laws. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58652210

Sounds like something out of The Onion/Private Eye

"There are butchers from the Philippines who are ready to come here," Edwin Poots told BBC News NI.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepBrendanBoyle/status/1440527117482020869

Can't argue with that. The Brexiteers do not realize how small the UK is perceived globally in some quarters

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4959 on: September 23, 2021, 06:49:44 pm »
https://news.sky.com/story/bp-prioritising-fuel-deliveries-as-driver-shortages-hit-supplies-12415175

At least the Army can help on this, they do have qualified tanker drivers who are OK to go straight on the road.