Author Topic: 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup - Canada / 6 June – 5 July (*)  (Read 67020 times)

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
2015 FIFA Women's World Cup - Canada / 6 June – 5 July (*)
« on: December 6, 2014, 05:54:20 pm »

History

The Women's World Cup was originally the brainchild of the then FIFA president João Havelange. The inaugural tournament was hosted in China in 1991, with twelve teams sent to represent their countries. In 1999 the tournament was expanded to 16 teams and was hosted in the USA, who went on to win it themselves for the second time in the Rose Bowl, California in front of a crowd of 90,185; a world record for a women's sporting event. 16 teams remained the norm until 2015 when the seventh edition of the tournament was expanded to 24 countries.

All-time Performance

Full List of national team appearances in the WWC, ranking, stats, and records

Qualified Teams:

CAF - Nigeria and Cameroon qualified after triumphs over South Africa and Côte d'Ivoire, respectively, in the CAF African Women's Championship semifinals. Côte d'Ivoire rounded out the trio headed to Canada by finishing third after beating South Africa 1-0.
Squads: Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Nigeria

AFC - The AFC Women’s Asian Cup was used for AFC qualifying. Korea Republic, China PR, Japan and Australia reached the semifinals to book their place in Canada, while Thailand won a play-off against Vietnam to qualify.
Squads: Australia, China PR, Japan, Korea Republic, Thailand

UEFA - Switzerland and England became the first two European nations to qualify after their successful campaigns during the European qualifiers played between September 2013 and September 2014. Norway, Germany, Spain, France and Sweden followed suit. Italy, Netherlands, Scotland and Ukraine met in the play-offs for the final European ticket. Netherlands were the eventual winners after first beating Scotland and then Italy in double-legged ties.
Squads: England, France, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

CONCACAF - United States and Costa Rica qualified after reaching the semifinal fixtures of the CONCACAF Women's Championship. Costa Rica took down Trinidad and Tobago 3-0 on penalties after it was tied 1-1 after extra time, while USA handled Mexico 3-0. Mexico earned the final automatic berth after beating Trinidad and Tobago 4-2 in the match for third place.
Squads: Canada, Costa Rica, Mexico, USA

OFC - Oceania’s qualifying competition, the OFC Women's Nations Cup, took place in Lae, Papua New Guinea. New Zealand topped the four-nation tournament - which also featured Papua New Guinea, Tonga and Cook Islands
Squads: New Zealand

CONMEBOL - All ten CONMEBOL member associations participated in The Copa America Femenina. Brazil and Colombia booked their place in Canada, while Ecuador defeated Trinidad and Tobago, fourth-place finishers from CONCACAF, 1-0 on aggregate in an intercontinental play-off for the last qualification spot.
Squads: Brazil, Colombia, Equador

2015 Host - Canada

FIFA's decision on who hosted was an easy one after they only received two bids by the December 2010 deadline, Canada and Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe, who were unlikely to be successful in their attempt anyway, withdrew from the process three months after submitting their bid. Rather than reopen the bidding process and invite more potential hosts, FIFA awarded the tournament straight to Canada.

Venues - The cities of Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal and Moncton have been selected to host tournament matches. Toronto decided not to bid, due to potential conflicts with the 2015 Pan American Games.

Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium (Semifinal & 3rd Place Play-off Venue)
Moncton - Moncton Stadium
Montreal - Olympic Stadium (Semifinal Venue)
Ottawa - TD Place Stadium
Vancouver - BC Place (Final Venue)
Winnipeg - Investors Group Field
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:11:30 pm by kellan »

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup - Canada / 6 June – 5 July (*)
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2014, 05:54:40 pm »
Group Stage: The group stage sees the twenty four teams divided into six groups of four. Each group is a round-robin format where each team plays one match against each of the other teams in the same group. The group winners and group runners-up, as well as the four best third-place teams, will qualify for the knockout stage.
Group Position tie-breaks: 1. Points / 2. Goal Difference / 3. No. of Goals scored in all matches / 4. Head-to-Head Points / 5. Head-to-Head GD / 6. Head-to-Head GF / 7. Drawing of Lots

Group A - Match One, Match Two, Match Three

Canada
China PR

Netherlands
New Zealand
P
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
+1
Pts

Group B - Match One, Match Two, Match Three

Germany
Norway

Thailand
Côte d'Ivoire
P
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
+14
+6
Pts

Group C - Match One, Match Two, Match Three

Japan
Cameroon
Switzerland
Ecuador
P
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
+3
+6
+7
Pts

Group D - Match One, Match Two, Match Three

USA
Australia

Sweden
Nigeria
P
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
+3
Pts

Group E - Match One, Match Two, Match Three

Brazil
Korea Republic
Costa Rica
Spain
P
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
+4
Pts

Group F - Match One, Match Two, Match Three

France
England

Colombia
Mexico
P
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
+4
Pts

Third Place Ranking - Top 4 Progress - Position tie-breaks: 1. Points / 2. Goal Difference / 3. No. of Goals scored in all matches / 4. Drawing of Lots
-
Colombia
Netherlands
Switzerland
Sweden

Thailand
Costa Rica
P
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
+1
+7
Pts

Knockout Stage: The knockout stage comprises the sixteen teams that advanced from the group stage. There are four rounds of matches: the round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals, and the final. There is also a play-off to decide third and fourth place. Extra time and penalties determine who progresses when necessary.

« Last Edit: July 6, 2015, 10:12:31 am by kellan »

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 4, 2015, 07:54:59 am »
Time to kick things off in here. March in the women's game is traditionally friendly cup competition month. In World Cup years these tournaments carry a little more significance and usually signal the start of the final preparations phase. I'm going to keep tabs on what happens with these tournaments and with everything else that follows until the actual World Cup itself so that anybody who fancies following this thread come the summer has some relevant context for what they are seeing in Canada.

Algarve Cup
Group A - Sweden, Germany, Brazil, China
Group B - USA, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland
Group C - Denmark, France, Japan, Portugal

Cyprus Cup
Group A - Canada, Italy, South Korea, Scotland
Group B - Australia, England, Finland, Netherlands
Group C - Belgium, Czech Republic, Mexico, South Africa

Istria Cup
Group A - Republic of Ireland, Hungary, Austria, Slovakia
Group B - Northern Ireland, Poland, Romania, Croatia
Group C - Wales, Costa Rica, Bosnia and Herzegovina, France B

World Cup teams are bolded. Each team plays the others in their group once. At the end of that all 12 teams are tabled based on their points in the group stage and said table is used to match up six more ties to determine final finishing positions.

Today's matches involving World Cup sides:

Algarve
Japan 1-2 Denmark
Brazil 0-0 China
Switzerland 2-0 Iceland
Germany 4-2 Sweden
Portugal 0-1 France
Norway 1-2 USA

Cyprus
South Korea 1-2 Italy
Finland 1-3 England
Mexico 2-0 South Africa
Scotland 0-2 Canada
Netherlands 0-1 Australia
Czech Republic 2-2 Belgium

Istria
Costa Rica 1-0 Bosnia and Herzegovina

Only the Algarve Cup has TV/Stream coverage (FOX and Eurosport mainly). Full schedule and kick off times: http://uk.women.soccerway.com/
« Last Edit: March 5, 2015, 09:58:50 am by kellan »

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2015, 09:50:32 am »
New Zealand will most likely fail miserably and lose the final.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2015, 10:14:14 am »
Japan have won it in 2011? Wow, never knew that...

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: March 5, 2015, 03:21:55 pm »
I'm really looking forward to this. Have some friends and family going. A lot of teams are good enough to win it so it's up in the air.

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: March 5, 2015, 04:42:00 pm »
That bit about the pitch controversy is a disgrace. To ask these athletes to play their biggest tournament on artificial turf just pisses me off. I play on my shitty over 30 league on turf and end up with cut up skin for weeks. I couldn't imagine doing it at that level. They shouldn't have to. End of.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 6, 2015, 09:12:05 am »
That bit about the pitch controversy is a disgrace. To ask these athletes to play their biggest tournament on artificial turf just pisses me off. I play on my shitty over 30 league on turf and end up with cut up skin for weeks. I couldn't imagine doing it at that level. They shouldn't have to. End of.
The info in the OP is a little out of date now, I've just never gotten around to posting an update. The whole thing has been resolved in the way everybody expected, i.e. FIFA said we do what we want. It's going ahead on turf. For a while there was some discussion on installing grass for the semis and final but the conclusion was that wouldn't be workable. The last heard I think five of the venue stadiums are fine as they are but the sixth has to have their pitch replaced with new turf. I suppose you've got laugh at that.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 6, 2015, 09:16:56 am »
Algave/Cyprus/Istria Cups Day 2

Algarve
Japan 3-0 Portugal
Germany 2-0 China
Sweden 0-2 Brazil
France 4-1 Denmark
USA 3-0 Switzerland
Norway 1-0 Iceland

Cyprus
Canada 1-0 South Korea
Finland 0-0 Netherlands
Belgium 0-1 South Africa
Italy 3-2 Scotland
Australia 0-3 England
Czech Republic 0-1 Mexico

Istria
Costa Rica 0-0 France B

Streams for the Algarve games in all the usual places. First one kicks off at 12.10 local time.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2015, 09:14:32 am by kellan »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 6, 2015, 10:43:25 am »
The last final, Japan USA, was an epic game. I was in the U.S then and it seemed everyone watched it. The women's game is very popular there.

It's a shame about the artificial turf. As we all know it makes for a different game and is very hard on the players

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #10 on: March 6, 2015, 05:15:53 pm »
Are there likely to be many Liverpool players involved? Also will any of the matches be on television in the UK?
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 6, 2015, 05:30:17 pm »
Are there likely to be many Liverpool players involved? Also will any of the matches be on television in the UK?
We have a few players in the England team. Asisat Oshoala plays for Nigeria and is one to watch out for. Couple of Norwegians but they're on the fringes of their national team so I don't think selection is likely. That's pretty much it unless we sign anybody between now and June. There are ex-Reds playing for the USA and New Zealand though. I'll throw a proper list together once squads are known.

The BBC will have full coverage.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #12 on: March 6, 2015, 06:17:48 pm »
We have a few players in the England team. Asisat Oshoala plays for Nigeria and is one to watch out for. Couple of Norwegians but they're on the fringes of their national team so I don't think selection is likely. That's pretty much it unless we sign anybody between now and June. There are ex-Reds playing for the USA and New Zealand though. I'll throw a proper list together once squads are known.

The BBC will have full coverage.

Good stuff, appreciate the effort that has gone into the thread. :thumbup
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #13 on: March 6, 2015, 07:52:05 pm »
The last final, Japan USA, was an epic game. I was in the U.S then and it seemed everyone watched it. The women's game is very popular there.
Interesting fact: the most watched football game in US history up until this World Cup was the Women's World Cup Final in 1999. I would also argue Mia Hamm is probably the most famous American footballer in the USA. Players like Alex Morgan and Hope Solo are probably more well known than all of our men's players, albeit not always for the best reasons.

All that said, the US team looks to be in a bit of a mess. Ever since Sundhage left results have been underwhelming. Dreadful in last year's Algave and some poor results in the past few months. I watched the England friendly and the US didn't look very convincing.

They won today 3-0 against Switzerland. Nice goal from Amy Rodriguez.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PGmmF4DSsC8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PGmmF4DSsC8</a>

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14 on: March 6, 2015, 07:58:55 pm »

...the US team looks to be in a bit of a mess. Ever since Sundhage left results have been underwhelming. Dreadful in last year's Algave and some poor results in the past few months. I watched the England friendly and the US didn't look very convincing.

Pia left quite the mess, and did not do a particularly convincing job while in the position. The football was fucking horrible. And neither the Scot nor whoever-the-fuck-Jill-Ellis is have improved things.

Dreading the World Cup, really. Although I suppose the very direct, reliant on pace and the dubious example of Hopeless in goal might work perversely well on turf. If there is one team equipped both to create and benefit from a plethora of second balls and to prevent teams from playing skillfully and slowing the game down, it's the US...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 6, 2015, 08:26:26 pm »
Pia left quite the mess, and did not do a particularly convincing job while in the position. The football was fucking horrible. And neither the Scot nor whoever-the-fuck-Jill-Ellis is have improved things.

Dreading the World Cup, really. Although I suppose the very direct, reliant on pace and the dubious example of Hopeless in goal might work perversely well on turf. If there is one team equipped both to create and benefit from a plethora of second balls and to prevent teams from playing skillfully and slowing the game down, it's the US...
I would not be surprised if they did not even make it out of their group. Also plenty of time for Hope to get arrested again. The back-up keepers seem to be really dreadful too.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 6, 2015, 08:31:00 pm »

I thought Sermanni was doing an okay job myself. People forget that he had the best part of two and half years to ready the side and was fired after just 15 months, either because somebody spat their dummy or because USSF shit the bed. Maybe both. He looked a hell of a lot more competent than Ellis does anyway. I know which one I'd rather have.

They looked a little improved against England but that is only because England were still smarting badly from being embarrassed by a German B team on the Wembley stage so they opted to do a 90 minute backs to the wall bus parking exercise to make sure they didn't get battered again. I'll bet they couldn't believe their luck when they realised England weren't going to have a go. Norway didn't have a go in the first Algarve game this year either but then they are known for playing a defensive game. Switzerland are in shocking form at the minute so today's win can't be used to gauge anything.

They will probably play France in the Algarve final. If it is anything like the game they played last month France will torment them again.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 9, 2015, 11:10:34 am »
Algave/Cyprus/Istria Cups Day 3

Algarve
Japan 1-3 France
Portugal 2-2 Denmark
Brazil 1-3 Germany
Sweden 3-0 China
Norway 2-2 Switzerland
USA 0-0 Iceland

Cyprus
Italy 0-1 Canada
Scotland 2-1 South Korea
South Africa 0-1 Czech Republic
Netherlands 1-1 England
Australia 3-0 Finland
Mexico 0-0 Belgium

Istria
Costa Rica 0-1 Wales
« Last Edit: March 9, 2015, 07:24:15 pm by kellan »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #18 on: March 9, 2015, 06:58:14 pm »
Germany look physically dominant again. Another cycle of champions perhaps? A good number of 21-24 year olds in the squad. Sasic is some player as well.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 9, 2015, 07:27:54 pm »
Algave/Cyprus/Istria Cups - Final Placement Matches - 11 March

Algarve
1st/2nd - France vs USA
3rd/4th - Germany vs Sweden
5th/6th - Norway vs Denmark
7th/8th - Brazil vs Japan
9th/10th - Switzerland vs Iceland
11th/12th - Portugal vs China

Cyprus
1st/2nd - Canada vs England
3rd/4th - Italy vs Mexico
5th/6th - Australia vs Czech Republic
7th/8th - Scotland vs Netherlands
9th/10th - Finland vs South Africa
11th/12th - South Korea vs Belgium

Istria
9th/10th - Republic of Ireland vs Costa Rica

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 03:36:12 pm »
For those interested in the USA, the France/USA match is on Fox Sports 1 at 12:00 noon, before the Champions League matches.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 03:39:08 pm »
For those interested in the USA, the France/USA match is on Fox Sports 1 at 12:00 noon, before the Champions League matches.

That'll be a good game. Wambach up against Renard. That could be some contest.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Yet to prove himself as...

• Nostradamus
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 05:14:44 pm »
Germany look physically dominant again. Another cycle of champions perhaps? A good number of 21-24 year olds in the squad. Sasic is some player as well.
The Popp-Sasic-Marozsan trio looks frightening good. They r big favorites for me to win it again and Popp ll be top scorer.
He wont be sold no matter what, but go on and believe all that crap spouted in English media.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 05:54:08 pm »
USA won 2-0. They converted their chances despite not looking threatening and poor in possession. France looked toothless.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 06:05:24 pm »
USA! USA! USA!

'Merica!

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 07:49:20 pm »
Algave/Cyprus/Istria Cups - Final Placements

Algarve
1st - USA 2-0 France
3rd - Germany 2-1 Sweden
5th - Norway 5-2 Denmark
7th - Brazil 4-1 Switzerland
9th - Japan 2-0 Iceland
11th - Portugal 3-3 (8-7P) China

Cyprus
1st - England 1-0 Canada
3rd - Mexico 3-2 Italy
5th - Australia 6-2 Czech Republic   
7th - Scotland 3-1 Netherlands 
9th - Finland 2-1 South Africa   
11th - South Korea 1-1 (5-3P) Belgium

Istria
9th - Republic of Ireland 2-0 Costa Rica

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 12:30:11 pm »
USA! USA! USA!

'Merica!

glad we won, but I'm not convinced our coach knows what she is doing.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 04:10:58 pm »
All the squads are in. OP updated with the links.

Only two LFC players will be there: Fara Williams (England) and Asisat Oshoala (Nigeria)

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 06:55:13 pm »
Just goes to show how important this competition is regarded when Toronto decides it prefers to host the 2015 Pan Am games over this. It's a real shame.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 03:21:22 pm »
Just goes to show how important this competition is regarded when Toronto decides it prefers to host the 2015 Pan Am games over this. It's a real shame.
Canada have a friendly against England tonight in Hamilton. Perhaps that is Toronto trying to have the best of both worlds.

Kick off is at 7pm local/Midnight UK. I think it's on TSN in Canada. Red Button and BBC Sport website in the UK.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2015, 10:30:29 pm »
Six Womens World Cups

USA have made the semi finals all 6 times.

Germany 4 out of 6.

Norway 4 out of 6

Sweden 3 out of 6.

I'l take a wild stab and say USA, Germany, Norway, Sweden will be the Semi Finalists. With maybe Brazil to be the outsider.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2015, 01:57:10 am »
This astroturf pitch is crap. Doing no one any favours.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 02:32:50 am »
It's absolutely unbelievable that Toronto passed on opportunity to host ANY sort of game for the stupid, irrelevant Pan Am games.

This all happened even before the Ford era. I can't wrap my head around that. Canada's biggest footballing community won't even get to host a game at the world cup.

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2015, 05:47:00 pm »
Very much looking forward to this. Im off to the US / South Korea game later so hopefully the team impresses.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2015, 09:54:56 pm »
Very much looking forward to this. Im off to the US / South Korea game later so hopefully the team impresses.

By the by, this match has been moved to ESPN News due to college softball running over on the Deuce...

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2015, 01:16:46 am »
Drew 0-0 at home to S Korea in the last friendly, sorry, Send-Off Series...

Ji Soyun was far and away the best player on the pitch, a clear and damning indictment of player development for the women, and let's be honest, then men as well, in the US.

Of course, Tobin Heath can play-make a bit, but Herself Ellis apparently does not trust her.

Playmakers and technique in general are such a hassle, let's just throw on a few more players who can run and pump balls into the box. :wanker

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2015, 04:14:58 pm »
By the by, this match has been moved to ESPN News due to college softball running over on the Deuce...

I wonder what ESPN will do once the U.S. gets knocked out in the group stage, which judging by what I saw yesterday is most likely to happen.

Totally agree with your assessment too. Alex morgan will be the only chance of advancing out of the group.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2015, 05:33:35 pm »
I wonder what ESPN will do once the U.S. gets knocked out in the group stage, which judging by what I saw yesterday is most likely to happen.

Totally agree with your assessment too. Alex morgan will be the only chance of advancing out of the group.
ESPN won't change anything since the games are on FOX Sports 1 this cycle.  :)

You will get to enjoy Stoner, Alexi and Wynalda. A month of cringe.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2015, 05:51:45 pm »

Well that's them screwed then because she isn't fit for the start and hasn't played properly for months. At best she will be a second half sub for the duration of the group stage.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 05:57:39 pm »
Results of the warm up friendlies from the last week or so:

Mexico 2 - 1 Coasta Rica
Switzerland 1 - 3 Germany
Japan 1 - 0 Italy
France 1 - 0 Scotland
Mexico 3 - 0 Costa Rica
Norway 2 - 0 Finland
Canada 1 - 0 England
Sweden 2 - 1 Netherland
USA 0 - 0 Korea Republic