Author Topic: Liverpool FC & the League Cup - We've won it 8 times......  (Read 13398 times)

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
Re: Liverpool FC & the League Cup
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 10:46:54 pm »
Love how all these other clubs say "We don't need to play our best side in this competition, it's shite, we've got bigger fish to fry".

Funny that, we like to win everything at the same time. League Cups in the same years as League titles and European Cups.

But you know, each to their own.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 10:55:33 pm »
We didn't really start taking this competition seriously until we got to the final against Forest in '78 after we were 'robbed' of the win in the Old Trafford replay.

After that we tried to win it all the time and those 4 consecutive wins between' 81 and '84 will never be matched.  The fact that they came as a part of doubles and a treble, and against arch rivals like United and Everton, made them even sweeter.

We won it twice when we were desperate for any kind of trophy too (''95 and '01).  Obviously 2003 was sweet because, again, it was over United.  Even the loss in 2005 against Chelsea proved to have it's benefits as I'm certain that it made us more determined to try and get one over Chelsea in the CL semi of that same year.

And a win against Cardiff City will hopefully prove to be a launching pad this time around as well.

All in all, I've always thought the League Cup to be a major domestic trophy that was worth winning.  And it seems to have been taken a lot more seriously by the so-called bigger clubs in the past 5 or 6 years.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:58:29 pm by Red_Rich »
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 11:00:07 pm »
Hi son.  Ya big brother here.

What he ^ said.   :wave

P.S.  I like your avatar.  ;D

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 11:01:31 pm »
And in any case, Subbuteo thought it relevant enough to make a replica trophy of it so it must be important.  ;D

United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 11:02:25 pm »
Hi son.  Ya big brother here.

What he ^ said.   :wave

P.S.  I like your avatar.  ;D

haha! Nice one.  :)

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 11:03:51 pm »
Maybe we should start a Subbuteo thread?  ;)

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 11:04:38 pm »
Naa.  I'm not that much of an anorak.

Anyway. Back on topic.    The Carling Cup. . . . .

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2012, 11:14:20 pm »
I could practically hear Roy Keane breathing down Owen's neck as he pursued him to prevent our second goal in 2003. A great, great day.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2012, 11:31:32 pm »
Who is the sub in the red, white and yellow hat in the very first picture? I had that same hat!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 11:33:38 pm »
Who is the sub in the red, white and yellow hat in the very first picture? I had that same hat!
Fatty Robbo, I think.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2012, 11:34:44 pm »
Fatty Robbo, I think.

Thought it was him but as you say, he does look fatter than I remembered. Thought pinstripes were slimming?!

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2012, 11:49:56 pm »
Did you know, if we win, Kenny will be the first Liverpool manager to have won every domestic trophy (as a manager)?
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2012, 01:52:44 am »
He's never won the Second Division Championship ( the NOW  Championship). . . . . or lower  :moon

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2012, 03:56:10 am »
It was, thank you for giving be the benefit of the doubt on that one.  I've heard it too many times for my liking about the Europa League, CC and FA Cup.

thought your sentiments were fairly obvious to be fair......and spot on too

great op by the way, i always loved the league cup, not sure why, probably due to that period of dominance coinciding with my age (10 at first win in 81)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:37:20 pm by keyo »
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline opsteo

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2012, 06:37:20 am »
Thanks to Phil M for the memories. May we add continuously to this thread with new videos of new victories.

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 07:40:51 am »
Good sentiments, but the cup is not won yet. As Kenny says, we respect the opposition and hopefully will do the same against Cardiff who are a good outfit.
Justice for the 96

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 08:50:05 am »
Great OP Phil M. Appreciate the time that must have taken!
I'm going to save the full read of the post until the week before the final.  :)
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 02:20:40 pm »
Thanks to Phil M for the memories. May we add continuously to this thread with new videos of new victories.
Great OP Phil M. Appreciate the time that must have taken!
I'm going to save the full read of the post until the week before the final.  :)

Cheers, yeah let's hope we'll be adding plenty more in a few weeks time.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2012, 02:30:18 pm »
Nice reminder Phil.

It's a good cup. We've broken our balls winning it in the past. And there'll be more real football fans at Wembley than in the FA Cup Final in May.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 03:03:39 pm »
I thoroughly hate the arrogance of the modern 'fan' who can't be arsed over the League Cup.  I'm a long way from being an old fart but silverware is silverware, end of.  The economics might have changed but for me, glory will always be the priority.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2012, 03:21:16 pm »
Looking at some of the faces there... Rush, Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Fowler, McManaman, Barnes, Gerrard.
Every one of them taking this competition seriously and absolutely delighted to win it.
Bring on the final, and let's hope there's a lot more of these pictures to come.  8)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2012, 05:07:19 pm »
Good sentiments, but the cup is not won yet. As Kenny says, we respect the opposition and hopefully will do the same against Cardiff who are a good outfit.

Yeah, if the league is anything to go by, it's the 'lesser' teams we struggle against!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2012, 01:26:22 am »
Look again mate ;)

Fuck I had idea the footage had been found....just presumed it wasnt there!!!!

Bloody hell thats sent goosebumps all over.....the detachable hood off my Berghaus coat was never seen again after that went in :)

Thanks so much for putting that up  :wave
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool FC & the League Cup - A History To Build Upon
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2012, 01:43:09 am »
Fuck I had idea the footage had been found....just presumed it wasnt there!!!!
Bloody hell thats sent goosebumps all over.....the detachable hood off my Berghaus coat was never seen again after that went in :)
Thanks so much for putting that up  :wave

Haha nice one mate. :)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2012, 03:12:21 am »
Love how all these other clubs say "We don't need to play our best side in this competition, it's shite, we've got bigger fish to fry".

Funny that, we like to win everything at the same time. League Cups in the same years as League titles and European Cups.

But you know, each to their own.

This is the thing that irks me the most about modern football. It's an attitude that is creeping into our fanbase. I attribute it to football media again. It's main reason of course is to big up the *elite* competitions, but all i see it do is (regarding many fans i know), is instil a defeatist attitude, and even cowardice.

Prioritising competitions will get you fucking nowhere. What does it even mean exactly? Sending out some kids in the early rounds? Yeah fair enough, but our kids should be better than Brightons kids, or Exeters kids, so what.

Since getting to the final a few weeks ago, i've been pulling my hair out trying to reason with some of our fanbase when they bring out the old "well it's only the league cup, priority is 4th, need to fight for fourth". Well Jack, they aint gonna give you a commemorative plate for fourth mate.

"But getting a champions league spot, means higher revenue streams, being amongst Europes elite, and attracting big money players". Yes true, fine of course, this point can't be ignored, all the economics make sense. But y'know, fuck that attitude, go ahead and be Tottenham.

Because i was under the impression Liverpool Football Clubs prime motive was to win trophies, lots of them, be it the European Cup or the Wirral dinky doo under sevens after school League. Because being a part of LFC is about the collective determination and arrogant streak that demands us to be the best. Our role as fans is to do our part, sing till your throat is sore, turn up in our thousands, wave our banners and scarves, support our team better than anyone else can.

The players role is to fight for every ball, tackle hard, close down any space, be ruthless with the opposition, encompass a winning mentality. They have to demand that they be the best on the field. Being knocked out of these competitions shouldn't make a Liverpool player think "well it's only the league/FA/UEFA cup". Bollocks to that, he should be thinking "fuck, there is another twatting team better than us, fucking hell that should be us having our day out, running around with a tin pot".

And as we saw (well i didn't i'm only 24) time and time again through the 60s-70s-80s, was this mentality pay for itself. Because if the attitude is there the rewards will come. So we don't get fourth, but grab two cups come May, what does that tell us? Ok not quite there yet for 4th, but we have a winning attitude, we've contributed to the cabinet. Let's go out there next season and do it all again, but aim higher this time.

What will it do for us fans? Get that taste in our mouth, the taste of being at Wembley again, the taste of our endless support leading to success, especially as it has been taken to the brink with off and on field matters over the last 2/3 years. It will make us again feel like winners (especially the younger generations).

Sure maybe we wont get the marquee wonderkid that everyone is salivating over. But maybe we will be attractive to other types of players, players with something to prove, who have the determination to do their very best whatever their ability, real men who engrain themselves in our ethos. Men like Reina, Skirtel, Bellamy, Agger, Lucas, Kuyt. One of my proudest moments in recent years was the 4-4 away against Chelsea when we got knocked out of Europe. 20th Anniversary of Hillsborough was that week, we had it all to do at Stamford Bridge, it was emotional all round. We didn't have enough on the night, but by god i was proud of every single one of them that night. Tried and tried and tried, and pushed and pushed. It was almost a hopeless situation, but they carried on digging. A lot of those players are still with us, a reward of a Trophy can take them to the next level. And hell there is always bargains out there, and players who get missed out by the champions league lot as they fight over Goetze. Modric went to Spurs when they weren't a CL side, Suarez came to us when we weren't a CL side.

Liverpool will be winning trophies again, the drought will be over. This i think can be a huge psychological turning point for the club. We will be winning again, and then what next we wonder? A Shankly attitude running through the squad, King Kenny at the helm, and ready to go at it again next year, while Chelsea or Arsenal qualify for the champions league and do sweet feck all.

Prioritise this, grow a backbone and expect the team to give it their all in EVERY competition, and the rewards will come

Yes, i'm quite excited for the final as you can tell (but please rest Suarez and Gerrard for Arsenal  ;) )

Offline El jefe

• Kopite
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2012, 03:40:33 am »
Was at the 2003 one, will never forget it. My first cup final. Great memories

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2012, 06:47:25 pm »
This is the thing that irks me the most about modern football. It's an attitude that is creeping into our fanbase. I attribute it to football media again. It's main reason of course is to big up the *elite* competitions, but all i see it do is (regarding many fans i know), is instil a defeatist attitude, and even cowardice.

Good post mate.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2012, 11:09:15 am »
I'm sure if we win tomorrow there'll be dozens of threads popping up from Reds in emphatic, insobriety conditions. But it would be good if, through inebriated eyes, some of you wizards could add to this thread to preserve images of another wonderful day.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool FC & the League Cup - We've won it 8 times......
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2012, 07:25:31 pm »
Get in!!