Author Topic: Micah Richards gets Swine Flu  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Micah Richards gets Swine Flu
« on: July 10, 2009, 11:11:00 pm »
Some how it's fucking typical he gets it first..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_city/article6685222.ece

Micah Richards catches swine flu on holiday

Micah Richards contracted swine flu while on holiday last weekend. The Manchester City defender is understood to be the first English professional footballer to be affected by the virus.

Richards, 21, is thought to have been with friends in Ayia Napa, Cyprus, when he was struck down by the H5N1 strain. He returned to England immediately and was placed in quarantine for some days. After causing initial alarm among his family and City’s medical staff, he is recovering well.

Richards had been granted an extended leave of absence by the club because of his involvement in the European Under-21 Championship with England last month. “He felt unwell for three or four days but he has shaken it off and is fit, healthy and well,” City said last night. Lincoln Richards, his father, told The Times that his son was “fine and recovering well”.

Last week, two players with Queen of the South, of the Irn-Bru Scottish League first division, had mild forms of the virus diagnosed.

The news came as City formally ended their pursuit of Samuel Eto’o last night after running out of patience with the Barcelona striker, leaving the club frustrated in their search for a global superstar for the second time in six months.

City had a £25 million bid for Eto’o accepted over a fortnight ago, but having grown tired of waiting for the player to decide whether or not to join them, Mark Hughes, the manager, ordered the club to pull the plug and return to the drawing board.

“Samuel Eto’o is undoubtedly a fine footballer, but the circumstances surrounding him were such that the deal could not be completed,” Garry Cook, the City chief executive, said. City were prepared to make Eto’o, 28, one of the highest-paid players in the world on £200,000 a week, but while the three-times African Footballer of the Year had become locked in a dispute with Barcelona over how much of the transfer fee he should receive, he is thought to have got cold feet about a club that could not offer Champions League football.

City are particularly aggrieved that the deal could not be done because Eto’o is believed to have given them plenty of encouragement in the months leading up to their formal bid.

Having also failed in a world-record £103 million bid to sign Kaká, the Brazil forward, from AC Milan in January, Sheikh Mansour’s wait for a marquee signing goes on, although the disappointment of the club’s billionaire owner may be partially offset by the impending arrival of Carlos Tévez. City are expected to complete the £25.5 million signing of the former Manchester United forward on Tuesday, in time for the player to fly to South Africa for the pre-season tour.

The pursuit of Tévez has not been without complications, but he will become City’s third high-profile signing of the summer after Gareth Barry, the England midfield player, and Roque Santa Cruz, the Paraguay striker.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
Re: Micah Richards gets Swine Flu
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:11:51 pm »
Least hes in Manchester.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:24:08 pm »
Perhaps Im being a tad cynical, but I find it rather sad that only one third of the article actually pertains to the headline. The lad just contacted swine flu, a virus which has caused numerous deaths in recent weeks, but theres always space for a few columns inches concerning transfer specualtion, isn't there? ::) 
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Rigga

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:30:19 pm »
Perhaps Im being a tad cynical, but I find it rather sad that only one third of the article actually pertains to the headline. The lad just contacted swine flu, a virus which has caused numerous deaths in recent weeks, but theres always space for a few columns inches concerning transfer specualtion, isn't there? ::) 

Thats it isn't it.  It should just say "Micah Richards got a bit poorly but he's alright now - turn to page 48 for sport rumours and shit, it's just past the adverts and filler."

Offline B_I_F

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 11:53:34 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "the H5N1 strain", isn't that Bird Flu and not Swine Flu?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H5N1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_spread_of_H5N1

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 12:11:49 am »
The news came as City formally ended their pursuit of Samuel Eto’o last night after running out of patience with the Barcelona striker

Haha, that's a cracker of a sentence that. I wonder just how far they could go?

But that little girl will never see her parents again.

The parents of England star Michael Owen, however, have expressed their delight at their sons move.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:16:16 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "the H5N1 strain", isn't that Bird Flu and not Swine Flu?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H5N1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_spread_of_H5N1

Yeah. I believe Swine flu is a H1N1 strain. Guess they got them mixed up.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 12:19:33 am »
He'd be much more worried if it were H5N1.

Offline CF999

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 12:32:51 am »
Least hes in Manchester.

true. good point

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 02:29:46 am »
At least we know Richard Dunne is safe. He couldn't catch fuck all.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 08:46:31 am »
Well it's good they managed to update us on the situation with Eto'o while just casually letting us know he has swine flu ::)
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 12:01:30 pm »
at least the girls of ayia napa are safe in the knowledge that there will be one less spit roaster there...

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 12:15:13 pm »
The news came as City formally ended their pursuit of Samuel Eto’o last night after running out of patience with the Barcelona striker

Haha, that's a cracker of a sentence that. I wonder just how far they could go?

But that little girl will never see her parents again.

The parents of England star Michael Owen, however, have expressed their delight at their sons move.

Although the autopsy is still ongoing, sources close to the investigation have suggested that the child may have been brutally mauled to death by a cat or mole. Meanwhile, Liverpool have turned their attentions to Wigan's Lee Cattermole as the cash strapped Anfield club looks to offload midfielders Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano for a combined fee in the region of £23.5m.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 07:02:07 am »
We've had swine flu sweep through Melbourne and had 'a number of deaths'. The thing is those deaths weren't caused by the flu, but the terminal illnesses those people already had. This swine flu thing has been so blown out of proportion it's not funny. He'll be fine. It's nothing but a mild flu, with a sensationalist name.