Author Topic: True Detective - HBO Drama  (Read 158797 times)

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: True Detective - HBO Drama with Woody Harrelson and McConaughey (2014)
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2014, 09:45:28 am »
can people not just watch the story unfold rather than trying to second guess the next page?....
Come now, that's part of the fun.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2014, 10:34:12 am »
Finally got around to watching the 3 episodes last night, hooked!
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2014, 11:56:29 am »
Excellent episode. Just excellent. All the impressive build up for the end with some top notch dialogues between those 2 again has me wanting for more. Both actors are doing a damn good job and you can see the chemistry between them.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2014, 03:18:20 pm »
Come now, that's part of the fun.

I agree.

Spoiler
I have to say that after Rust's exposition on the calm of death, I'm thinking maybe the women offered their lives as a sacrifice... just a feeling.
[close]

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2014, 05:24:29 pm »
Hearing a lot of good things about this series.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2014, 06:15:24 pm »
I agree.

Spoiler
I have to say that after Rust's exposition on the calm of death, I'm thinking maybe the women offered their lives as a sacrifice... just a feeling.
[close]

Yeah I don't see a problem with it, spoilers about rumoured story-lines for the following season or which actors have signed on are pretty annoying though.

Another really good episode, Rust has the more interesting dialogue but his partner seems like he'll develop more which should be interesting too. I thought the female characters were a little dull, the girls in episode two were more dysfunctional and interesting, instead of just the typical pretty girl seeking a boyfriend.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2014, 06:30:36 pm »
interesting to note that (according to IMDB) the writer has only two episodes of the 'the killing' to his name in terms of screenwriting credits prior to this show, but is an acclaimed and award-winning novelist.  i think that really shows in the slow pace and focus on the characters' internal struggles, and even the way he uses a narrative device in the form of the running commentary by the future detectives to get inside their heads.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2014, 01:05:44 am »
Spoiler
Does anyone else also think Rust is right about everything? I mean, fuck, it's like this writer managed to express my darkest thoughts on existence in the most poetic way possible. Hints of Descartes, Camus and Schopenhauer as well.
[close]

Fuck, this is good.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:14:34 am by Henry Chinaski »
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2014, 12:37:51 pm »
Spoiler
Does anyone else also think Rust is right about everything? I mean, fuck, it's like this writer managed to express my darkest thoughts on existence in the most poetic way possible. Hints of Descartes, Camus and Schopenhauer as well.
[close]

Fuck, this is good.

Yup. I was thinking about that during the last episode. Agree with him on almost everything he has said already.

Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2014, 12:59:43 pm »
When's this start on sky ?!?

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2014, 03:57:10 pm »
When's this start on sky ?!?
February 22nd at 9PM.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2014, 04:41:24 pm »
No episode this Monday by the way. It's taking a week's break for some reason, I think the Superbowl?

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2014, 04:42:45 pm »
No episode this Monday by the way. It's taking a week's break for some reason, I think the Superbowl?

For fucks sake.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2014, 05:26:54 pm »
Fuck off, really want to see the next episode, and American 'football' gets in the way.

Super Bowl my arse.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2014, 06:06:52 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Fuck, this is good.
I don't. I can empathise with what he's saying, but I don't really agree with him either. He sounds like a man totally lost, or someone who has lost faith in people and in life. It's the ramblings of a broken man. Not unlike someone who is borderline suicidal and depressed.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2014, 06:28:38 pm »
I don't. I can empathise with what he's saying, but I don't really agree with him either. He sounds like a man totally lost, or someone who has lost faith in people and in life. It's the ramblings of a broken man. Not unlike someone who is borderline suicidal and depressed.
Spoiler
It sets him up nicely as the killer in the new murder(s) but like Redcap I hope they don't go down that route because of how predictable it is.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:56:53 pm by Malaysian Kopite »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2014, 06:47:57 pm »
Spoiler
After the first episode I though Cohle may have been the real killer, but now I think it's pretty clear that it's a red herring. Would be far too cliche. Something happened back in '95 and I reckon there was a cover up, maybe due to some the politics.

Anyone clocked on to the fact that the interviews of Hart and Cohle are five days apart? I have a feeling that something bad might have happened to Cohle by the time Hart is interviewed. The way Hart speaks about him despite whatever happened between them is always respectful and almost how you'd talk about someone who has passed. And notice how when interviewing Cohle, it's always about the case, whereas when they interview Hart, it's always about Cohle.
[close]

Or I could just be totally over-thinking it.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2014, 10:08:29 pm »
Spoiler
After the first episode I though Cohle may have been the real killer, but now I think it's pretty clear that it's a red herring. Would be far too cliche. Something happened back in '95 and I reckon there was a cover up, maybe due to some the politics.

Anyone clocked on to the fact that the interviews of Hart and Cohle are five days apart? I have a feeling that something bad might have happened to Cohle by the time Hart is interviewed. The way Hart speaks about him despite whatever happened between them is always respectful and almost how you'd talk about someone who has passed. And notice how when interviewing Cohle, it's always about the case, whereas when they interview Hart, it's always about Cohle.
[close]

Spoiler
interesting. where do you get the dates from?

i'm not sure i'd read too much into what each of them talks about; it's clear that cohle is (and was) more open with his thoughts and feelings than the uptight hart, so it's as much a character thing as anything. 

the interviewers (and hart) also seem to revere cohle as some kind of legendary yoda-like detective guru whereas hart is seen as a plodding, insensitive and now potentially racist sideshow.

some really interesting dynamics going on though, for sure.
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2014, 10:24:49 pm »
Spoiler
interesting. where do you get the dates from?

i'm not sure i'd read too much into what each of them talks about; it's clear that cohle is (and was) more open with his thoughts and feelings than the uptight hart, so it's as much a character thing as anything. 

the interviewers (and hart) also seem to revere cohle as some kind of legendary yoda-like detective guru whereas hart is seen as a plodding, insensitive and now potentially racist sideshow.

some really interesting dynamics going on though, for sure.
[close]

Spoiler
In the first episode.

Hart is interviewed on 1st May 2012 and Cohle is interviewed on the 26 April 2012.

Yeah, I'm probably reading too much into it, but it's hard not to when the show is so ambiguous and seemingly drops you so many little clues/red herrings!
[close]

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2014, 12:04:28 am »
Fucking brilliant show!
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2014, 12:05:26 am »
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
I like the theory and I think there might be something to it. Having the two interviews 5 days apart definitely means something anyway. What's clear is that the two new detectives have some level of interest in Cohle beyond what they're letting on so far.
[close]

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:58 pm »
Hey, guys. New to the forum, been a long-time onlooker from afar and thought I'd sign up and say hello - mainly because of this Media and Arts section. I feel like my sanity is safer here  :D

Anyhow, I'm really enjoying True Detective. Although I'm devastated right now as I marathon'd all three episodes and then found out about the two week break before the next episode (sad sigh) - I found this little interview with the writer/creator to be quite interesting, and I wondered whether anyone has read his novel 'Galveston'?

http://litreactor.com/interviews/10-questions-with-true-detective-creator-nic-pizzolatto

Also, I need to know that I'm not alone in thinking that Rust Cohle's blazers are very nifty looking? Especially this one.

http://i.lv3.hbo.com/assets/images/series/true-detective/home/130905-true-detective-900.jpg
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2014, 04:27:53 pm »
Hey, guys. New to the forum, been a long-time onlooker from afar and thought I'd sign up and say hello - mainly because of this Media and Arts section. I feel like my sanity is safer here  :D

Anyhow, I'm really enjoying True Detective. Although I'm devastated right now as I marathon'd all three episodes and then found out about the two week break before the next episode (sad sigh) - I found this little interview with the writer/creator to be quite interesting, and I wondered whether anyone has read his novel 'Galveston'?

http://litreactor.com/interviews/10-questions-with-true-detective-creator-nic-pizzolatto

Also, I need to know that I'm not alone in thinking that Rust Cohle's blazers are very nifty looking? Especially this one.

http://i.lv3.hbo.com/assets/images/series/true-detective/home/130905-true-detective-900.jpg

Theres a 2 week break?? Shiiiit. Been counting down the days until my fix on monday.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #143 on: February 2, 2014, 12:59:14 am »
Yeah, I'm a bit gutted too. Next episode will be on... 9th February - (goes into hibernation)
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 2, 2014, 01:16:48 am »
Spoiler
That monologue at the end of episode three, up there with Rutger Hauer in Bladerunner. Maybe I'm overcooking it a bit, but what a compelling character.
[close]
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #145 on: February 2, 2014, 01:33:37 am »
I like rust, what he says I find myself relating to and agreeing with... Not sure what that says about me to be honest haha

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 2, 2014, 12:12:26 pm »
Damn Superbowl

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 2, 2014, 05:14:19 pm »
When's it on Sky in the UK?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #148 on: February 2, 2014, 05:18:24 pm »
Really fuck off super bowl.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #149 on: February 2, 2014, 05:29:23 pm »
I like rust, what he says I find myself relating to and agreeing with... Not sure what that says about me to be honest haha

haha...thought it was just me!  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #150 on: February 2, 2014, 09:48:00 pm »

haha probably find out he's a full blown axe wielding psychopath. But he's still relatable.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 3, 2014, 01:13:53 am »

Relatable including to the episode 3 monologue? Because I found him more or less relatable until that point. Then I found my empathy turned to sympathy.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 3, 2014, 01:09:21 pm »
Spoiler
That monologue at the end of episode three, up there with Rutger Hauer in Bladerunner. Maybe I'm overcooking it a bit, but what a compelling character.
[close]

Yep i thought it was great. You could see the look of dread on his face, the scene it cut too after was perfect.

Spoiler
"Like most dreams, there's a monster at the end of it"
[close]

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #153 on: February 4, 2014, 11:27:43 am »
Dark as fuck!

Feels like I'm in The Heart of Darkness with Rust Cohle.

Thanks to all for recommending this. Utterly compelling, yet not a great deal has happened in the two episodes I've seen so far. Think it's all to do with the southern gothic atmosphere of the piece & is a brilliant character study, thus far, rather than a relentless thriller.

The performance by McConaughey is quite brilliant. His character then & now, although altered in many ways, still feels like that same character, but significantly more... and drinking with gay abandon, too. He is
mesmerizing. I could listen to that voice just telling the story while staring into the video camera. In his earlier carnation, however, he is like some dark, sleepless soul striding the immense Louisiana landscape.

Woody Harrelson is great too. On the surface, genial and easy going, yet a hypocrite spouting spurious family values...The domestic scenes with Michelle Monaghan are really well observed. The scene at the dinner
table when Rust comes to dinner is just superb.

Really looking forward to watching the next one later this week.

Btw, I shuddered when Rustin said: “I’m police. I can do terrible things to people with impunity.” Too many people know that truth. Dialogue is fucking immense throughout.
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 4, 2014, 10:16:36 pm »
The daughter's starting to freak me out...

Spoiler
[close]
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #155 on: February 4, 2014, 10:19:20 pm »
The daughter's starting to freak me out...

Not being smart but whats that supposed to be?
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 4, 2014, 10:38:41 pm »
Not being smart but whats that supposed to be?

Spoiler
Similar to the spiral thing that's connected to the murders.
[close]
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #157 on: February 5, 2014, 03:42:28 pm »
When's it on Sky in the UK?

Saw some ads saying the 22nd of Feb.
Sky Atlantic me thinks...
- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #158 on: February 6, 2014, 03:06:52 pm »
The darkness continues. Wow! what a brilliant ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOGoX1B6_2k

This is absolutely brilliant TV. Wouldn't work as a movie. Love the languid pace of it all. Feel like I know all of the characters. Even the females, with all their obvious frustrations.

Looking forward to episode 4.
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #159 on: February 6, 2014, 03:27:59 pm »
Dark as fuck!

Feels like I'm in The Heart of Darkness with Rust Cohle.

Thanks to all for recommending this. Utterly compelling, yet not a great deal has happened in the two episodes I've seen so far. Think it's all to do with the southern gothic atmosphere of the piece & is a brilliant character study, thus far, rather than a relentless thriller.

The performance by McConaughey is quite brilliant. His character then & now, although altered in many ways, still feels like that same character, but significantly more... and drinking with gay abandon, too. He is
mesmerizing. I could listen to that voice just telling the story while staring into the video camera. In his earlier carnation, however, he is like some dark, sleepless soul striding the immense Louisiana landscape.

Woody Harrelson is great too. On the surface, genial and easy going, yet a hypocrite spouting spurious family values...The domestic scenes with Michelle Monaghan are really well observed. The scene at the dinner
table when Rust comes to dinner is just superb.

Really looking forward to watching the next one later this week.

Btw, I shuddered when Rustin said: “I’m police. I can do terrible things to people with impunity.” Too many people know that truth. Dialogue is fucking immense throughout.

Great post and I agree. One of my favorite films ever is "Angel Heart," which is also largely set in Louisiana and has that same atmosphere of voodoo and foreboding. The other thing I like about this show is that you can almost feel the shadow of Hurricane Katrina hanging over the whole piece, or at least I feel that way - every lake or bit of water they show, I'm thinking "This is all going to be wiped away and drowned in about 10 years." Adds to the gloom. Fantastic show. If I'm not mistaken, HBO got a new head executive fairly recently and it's good to see them continuing the high quality of these Sunday institutions. Sometimes a shake-up in the boardroom can really fuck with a network's output.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"