Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1888745 times)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #8560 on: September 2, 2020, 12:47:15 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5x2T5OhZmYQ/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5x2T5OhZmYQ/</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #8561 on: September 2, 2020, 08:59:38 pm »
Should of started the charity shield match, after having a decent pre-season and since lockdown would of thought he'd be first player in the team, was disappointed when the team news came out, it's like Jurgen still doesn't quite fully trust him to start?

Offline Wengerpresser101

• 8 posts in, could be RAWK’s greatest ever contributor. 248 posts in, the jury's still out......It's a fax he's a dickhead. Still the Greatest Fan of L...sorry...AFC there's EVER been!
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8562 on: September 2, 2020, 09:18:26 pm »
I hope he starts more often to be honest, as he offers alot of creativity, and helps unlock packed defenses, which we would face quite frequently, i.e. against Arsenal and Burnley.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #8563 on: September 2, 2020, 10:04:56 pm »
Should of started the charity shield match, after having a decent pre-season and since lockdown would of thought he'd be first player in the team, was disappointed when the team news came out, it's like Jurgen still doesn't quite fully trust him to start?

It's a preseason friendly. They were after a tough two week camp and with his injury record I'm happy they're looking after him. Much happier if he's fit and firing for the first real game of the season instead.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline JimmyRust

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8564 on: September 2, 2020, 10:11:22 pm »
Clearly has the ability but needs to show more consistency for us.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8565 on: September 12, 2020, 09:03:37 pm »
I thought that Keita was very good today. Really excited about him this season.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #8566 on: September 12, 2020, 09:13:27 pm »
Yeah, I thought he was good today, very lively again in the first half, don't think he was ever the sub to make, really strange one that.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8567 on: September 12, 2020, 11:33:18 pm »
Yeah, I thought he was good today, very lively again in the first half, don't think he was ever the sub to make, really strange one that.

Odd substitution, I think having Fab behind him would have added to his game.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8568 on: September 12, 2020, 11:38:32 pm »
Yeah was very odd given Wijnaldum was particularly quiet. Thought he looked excellent and was breaking up a lot of their play between he 18yrd and centre circle in their half.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8569 on: September 12, 2020, 11:42:33 pm »
Odd substitution, I think having Fab behind him would have added to his game.

Nah right decision. He wasn't great today but he's improving for sure.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8570 on: September 12, 2020, 11:59:59 pm »

He was great compared to Henderson and Wjnaldum. Hendo looked a yard off not yet fully fit and Gini, well he was industrious but periferal.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8571 on: September 13, 2020, 12:30:44 am »
He was great compared to Henderson and Wjnaldum. Hendo looked a yard off not yet fully fit and Gini, well he was industrious but periferal.

I was shocked Hendo started. Thought it would have been Fab, Milner and Keita for this game but he yeah he was better than Hendo today.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8572 on: September 13, 2020, 12:53:38 am »

He was easily our best midfielder, followed by Jones. Can’t blame Henderson really, he looked a yard short of full fitness.

He constantly wont he ball high up the field, he ran at them with the ball at his feet and he was the one creative player through the middle.

No idea why he was the one chosen to come off, our attack looked worse because of it.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #8573 on: September 13, 2020, 02:38:46 am »
100% a sports science thing I reckon. He’ll be doing a lot of 60’s  year I think
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #8574 on: September 13, 2020, 06:04:19 am »
Looked dangerous but looked a little shackled? Usually has a lot more swagger about him?

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8575 on: September 13, 2020, 06:24:26 am »
Looked dangerous but looked a little shackled? Usually has a lot more swagger about him?

I agree, he looked more shackled and I thought Gini looked less shackled than usual - almost like they'd been asked to swap roles. Not sure what the point of that would be other than a bit of experimenting. Gini seemed to be getting in the final 3rd a lot more than we usually see.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #8576 on: September 13, 2020, 06:41:48 am »
It's almost as if he was told to be a bit more conswrvative given that Leeds were clearly man marking and were pressing like demons....

He did just fine today - best midfielder in the first half for sure, showed himself to be press resistant (putting that concern to bed) and was subbed in line with the boss's plan.

So looking forward to seeing him start regularly - it's like having a new signing

Offline fallenhd

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8577 on: September 13, 2020, 02:06:56 pm »
He needs to start regularly to build rhythm etc,. Unfortunately, don't think he will the next two(2) games. Unless something changes transfer wise with gini, Klopp will go back to the fab, heng, gini 3,
which he likes to use in the "big" games. I'm not a fan of it at all and dont think it works but......

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #8578 on: September 13, 2020, 05:51:35 pm »
Massively overrated by people who think the most important thing is that he has more flair than our other midfielders. He does, but  that's just not among the most important attributes to be able to play in our midfield. Doesn't mean he's a flop either, or that he can't potentially be great for us. If he does, it'll be because he's eventually able to add the solidity and consistency that Henderson/Wijnaldum does currently, not because he can beat a man, perform tricks that look good on youtube compilations, or his stats look good on the player radars.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8579 on: September 13, 2020, 05:53:28 pm »
Massively overrated by people who think the most important thing is that he has more flair than our other midfielders. He does, but  that's just not among the most important attributes to be able to play in our midfield. Doesn't mean he's a flop either, or that he can't potentially be great for us. If he does, it'll be because he's eventually able to add the solidity and consistency that Henderson/Wijnaldum does currently, not because he can beat a man, perform tricks that look good on youtube compilations, or his stats look good on the player radars.

I mean he literally breaks down more play in the opposition half than any of our midfielders, so no idea what you’re on about.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8580 on: September 13, 2020, 05:53:29 pm »

any idea how they get those stats? .... is it number of step overs and what not?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:15:52 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8581 on: September 14, 2020, 12:53:58 pm »

Way to massively misunderstand why he was brought in by Klopp.  Go and read some of the quotes both Klopp and Pep have said about him and why he is so valuable to the team. 

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8582 on: September 14, 2020, 01:01:51 pm »
I mean he literally breaks down more play in the opposition half than any of our midfielders, so no idea what you’re on about.

Let their full back run right past him for their second, and found himself pressing the same man as Hendo a few times in that first half leaving huge gaps in behind him - not sure who's fault it was though. I don't know if you've had a chance to have a re-watch Craig, I have, and can tell you Naby was defensively poor in the first half.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #8583 on: September 14, 2020, 01:12:34 pm »
He needs to start regularly to build rhythm etc,. Unfortunately, don't think he will the next two(2) games. Unless something changes transfer wise with gini, Klopp will go back to the fab, heng, gini 3,
which he likes to use in the "big" games. I'm not a fan of it at all and dont think it works but......

Yeah, don't think we've ever won a game or had any success with Fabinho, Henderson and Gini in the midfield... 🤔
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8584 on: September 14, 2020, 01:13:48 pm »
Don’t think he had a good game on Saturday.

It happens, nothing to worry about.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8585 on: September 14, 2020, 01:16:36 pm »
Let their full back run right past him for their second, and found himself pressing the same man as Hendo a few times in that first half leaving huge gaps in behind him - not sure who's fault it was though. I don't know if you've had a chance to have a re-watch Craig, I have, and can tell you Naby was defensively poor in the first half.

Not just Naby, but all three of the midfield struggled a bit in the first half, and at times in the second.

Certainly not as "functional" or as effective as it has been, and Naby certainly didn't have his best game. Not at all worried about it though, and a Naby will be a key player this season.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Naby Keita Watc
« Reply #8586 on: September 14, 2020, 01:19:03 pm »
Not just Naby, but all three of the midfield struggled a bit in the first half, and at times in the second.

Certainly not as "functional" or as effective as it has been, and Naby certainly didn't have his best game. Not at all worried about it though, and a Naby will be a key player this season.

To be honest neither the defensive nor midfield units have a good game so I think it's just a matter of settling down. Leeds did exactly what Salzburg did with similar outcomes.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8587 on: September 14, 2020, 02:25:34 pm »

Didn't VvD screw up the clearance for the easy goal? How did Keita come into play here?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8588 on: September 14, 2020, 02:42:21 pm »
Didn't VvD screw up the clearance for the easy goal? How did Keita come into play here?

It appears from your response that you don't accept that more than one player can make a mistake that leads to a goal. If that's your starting position then there is little point in having a discussion.

If you accept that there can be multiple errors, or poor passages of play, leading to a goal, then if you watch it back you will see there is absolutely no pressure on the player that played the pass. Whilst this didn't make it a perfect pass, it was enough to make it a more difficult pass than our back line is generally used to dealing with. In the built their LB collects the ball comfortably in his own half, plays a one-two with a CM, running past Keita. Keita points at the runner from a weak position. His body position is poor, he is no where close enough to disturb his run, and makes no attempt to apply pressure by tracking him. Said player then has a free run at our back line. He chooses to loop a pass over VVDs head (which actually was probably a poor choice, because they had TAA and Gomez 3 against 2 and could have run forward to engage Gomez and leave one of the others free), but, regardless, VVD happens to f*ck up. VVD was put in a poor position - facing his own goal in a 1-v-1 with the ball dropping from a height over his shoulder on the edge of the 18 yard line. VVD was at fault. Keita's defensive input was poor, and contributed to the situation.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8589 on: September 14, 2020, 02:44:15 pm »
It appears from your response that you don't accept that more than one player can make a mistake that leads to a goal. If that's your starting position then there is little point in having a discussion.

If you accept that there can be multiple errors, or poor passages of play, leading to a goal, then if you watch it back you will see there is absolutely no pressure on the player that played the pass. Whilst this didn't make it a perfect pass, it was enough to make it a more difficult pass than our back line is generally used to dealing with. In the built their LB collects the ball comfortably in his own half, plays a one-two with a CM, running past Keita. Keita points at the runner from a weak position. His body position is poor, he is no where close enough to disturb his run, and makes no attempt to apply pressure by tracking him. Said player then has a free run at our back line. He chooses to loop a pass over VVDs head (which actually was probably a poor choice, because they had TAA and Gomez 3 against 2 and could have run forward to engage Gomez and leave one of the others free), but, regardless, VVD happens to f*ck up. VVD was put in a poor position - facing his own goal in a 1-v-1 with the ball dropping from a height over his shoulder on the edge of the 18 yard line. VVD was at fault. Keita's defensive input was poor, and contributed to the situation.

Ahh I see. Ok. Your explanation is a massive reach - even accepting your premise (which I do).

No need for the condescension by the way. I was genuinely wondering what the rationale was.

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #8590 on: September 14, 2020, 04:19:54 pm »
100% a sports science thing I reckon. He’ll be doing a lot of 60’s  year I think

Probably right, that would also be a great way to help ease Curtis into the team this season.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8591 on: September 14, 2020, 04:30:31 pm »
Ahh I see. Ok. Your explanation is a massive reach - even accepting your premise (which I do).

No need for the condescension by the way. I was genuinely wondering what the rationale was.

Also, Henderson was hugely out of position for the 2nd goal. Once 2 CMs are making positional errors you're best off calling them systemic rather than being pinned on individuals.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8592 on: September 14, 2020, 05:00:03 pm »
Also, Henderson was hugely out of position for the 2nd goal. Once 2 CMs are making positional errors you're best off calling them systemic rather than being pinned on individuals.

We clearly had an issue as to whose job it was to close Phillips - Hendo seemed to be the one doing it, but because he was playing deepest, as was Phillips at the other end, he had far too much ground to cover and rarely got there. When he did pushed on to Phillips it left a huge gap in the centre of the pitch, which does our back 4 no favours. Tactically odd to have your #6 tasked with closing down the opposition #6, so definitely a systematic error in there somewhere. I don't think that rules out individual error as well.

As regards to pinning anything on individuals, I'm not pinning anything on an individual, just saying I don't think it's good defending to let your player run right past you. It's Sunday league pointing at the opposition as they run unopposed when it's your man running into the space you've got responsibility for. Emre Can used to get hammered for it on here, but I guess for some people Keita's got the skill-set that makes that forgivable. I'm not sure Klopp would agree, but neither of us are Klopp, so we can just run with our own interpretation.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. 

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8593 on: September 14, 2020, 05:05:30 pm »

Sorry about that. It felt like a loaded question, and my response reflected that. It wasn't meant to be condescending.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8594 on: September 14, 2020, 05:08:35 pm »
Sorry about that. It felt like a loaded question, and my response reflected that. It wasn't meant to be condescending.

fair enough!

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #8595 on: September 14, 2020, 07:56:13 pm »

I (probably unwisely) posted that in frustration/annoyance, mostly from the sheer volume of the pre-season moaning.

And probably misplaced in this thread, but I guess I see the clamour for Keita and now Thiago (the sum of it, lots of good individual posts about them that aren't that) as often in part underrating what's been achieved so far, by taking for granted and having "better ideas" than what's worked against heavy odds. But I did strawman his fans unnecessarily in that post.   

Just to expand on where I'm coming from before I leave it, my frustration is also in part because that in many posts that aren't complaining per se, I don't recognize the team I've been watching. For example:

- We're described as in need of creativity, especially against parked buses, there's some validity to that. But it happens rarely compared to how often it's not an issue. When I watch us, I rarely see a team knocking on the door but unable to break through, I see threats all over the pitch, with the midfielders very much part of that even if they aren't the ones posting goal/assist numbers. Would be interesting to read some updated "Klopp template" posts about how we achieve that, because it's true that on paper there is room for even more creativity, looking at it player for player.   

- Much being made of Klopp and Lijnders mentioning the need for "unpredictability" once or twice. Little mention of "intensity", "pressing", "shape", "chances that didn't become chances" which from memory are phrases used by Klopp in interviews on a regular basis, and surely more important parts of the "job/role description" for many of the players.

- Arguably the deciding factor for us in overtaking Man City the last two seasons (apart from the admittedly huge ones of bringing three world class signings in) has been finally getting the team balance right. They've become very vulnerable to counters, while we have got the balance right between defensive stabiilty and scoring enough to avoid unnecessary points losses. Keeping that advantage is not a given.

- "We mostly play parked buses, so should/can afford to set up more attacking", seems to me like another argument you see a lot, that looks good on paper but doesn't always reflect what's actually going on. We killed Bournemouth at home on the counter, against Palace what had Klopp raving was how we won the second balls. Same with Wilder in our win against Sheff Utd.

FWIW I think Keita is a great player, offensively and defensively, so any question marks about the latter (IMO) are only compared to those others we have that are absolute perfect fits in that regard. I think the Leeds game would have become a basketball game with or without him on the pitch.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8596 on: September 14, 2020, 10:28:39 pm »
Bjonar - you seem to be echoing mine and many others' sentiments. Lots seem to disagree though.
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #8597 on: September 14, 2020, 10:51:15 pm »
I (probably unwisely) posted that in frustration/annoyance, mostly from the sheer volume of the pre-season moaning.

And probably misplaced in this thread, but I guess I see the clamour for Keita and now Thiago (the sum of it, lots of good individual posts about them that aren't that) as often in part underrating what's been achieved so far, by taking for granted and having "better ideas" than what's worked against heavy odds. But I did strawman his fans unnecessarily in that post.   

Just to expand on where I'm coming from before I leave it, my frustration is also in part because that in many posts that aren't complaining per se, I don't recognize the team I've been watching. For example:

- We're described as in need of creativity, especially against parked buses, there's some validity to that. But it happens rarely compared to how often it's not an issue. When I watch us, I rarely see a team knocking on the door but unable to break through, I see threats all over the pitch, with the midfielders very much part of that even if they aren't the ones posting goal/assist numbers. Would be interesting to read some updated "Klopp template" posts about how we achieve that, because it's true that on paper there is room for even more creativity, looking at it player for player.   

- Much being made of Klopp and Lijnders mentioning the need for "unpredictability" once or twice. Little mention of "intensity", "pressing", "shape", "chances that didn't become chances" which from memory are phrases used by Klopp in interviews on a regular basis, and surely more important parts of the "job/role description" for many of the players.

- Arguably the deciding factor for us in overtaking Man City the last two seasons (apart from the admittedly huge ones of bringing three world class signings in) has been finally getting the team balance right. They've become very vulnerable to counters, while we have got the balance right between defensive stabiilty and scoring enough to avoid unnecessary points losses. Keeping that advantage is not a given.

- "We mostly play parked buses, so should/can afford to set up more attacking", seems to me like another argument you see a lot, that looks good on paper but doesn't always reflect what's actually going on. We killed Bournemouth at home on the counter, against Palace what had Klopp raving was how we won the second balls. Same with Wilder in our win against Sheff Utd.

FWIW I think Keita is a great player, offensively and defensively, so any question marks about the latter (IMO) are only compared to those others we have that are absolute perfect fits in that regard. I think the Leeds game would have become a basketball game with or without him on the pitch.

So basically you're admitting you're just trolling due to your own personal viewpoints.  Cool, cool.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8598 on: September 14, 2020, 11:05:23 pm »

I think most sane people realise how incredible Gini, Henderson and Fabinho have been, I have never been more confident in a midfield trio when I see them on the team sheet. But equally, injuries aside they have been pretty undisturbed in their positions for the last 2 seasons, as great as they are we don't want to become too predictable. That's reason people want Naby to flourish, he is unlike our other midfielders not because he can do step overs (I'm not even sure he does that many), it's because he's the best at carrying the ball upfield quickly which pulls players towards him.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #8599 on: September 15, 2020, 04:44:19 am »
I think it'd be unwise to think that what's worked for us yesterday will work for us today, and tomorrow, and every other match day till kingdom come.

Evolution and adaptations help us maintain our edge.

There will be some growing pains as we make tweaks to our system - that's inevitable. But it's by no means guaranteed that we wouldn't suffer if we kept playing in the exact same way. Even if our opponents don't figure us out, our players will get gradually get bored and complacent, and there'll be costs as well.

I hate it when people hide behind "in Klopp we trust" for every argument, but I think you have to trust the gaffer and the management team to get the balance right in how we approach games.