Author Topic: The Labour Party (*)  (Read 885574 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: The Labour Party (*)
« Reply #7200 on: May 8, 2017, 12:15:10 pm »
Hospital car parks around here tend to be rammed full even with the current charging regime. Given that many hospitals have prime central sites, you cannot just offer free parking - there is no free parking in the surrounding area, so it would be an invitation for commuters, shoppers and others to park for free.

You would need to work on the supermarket principle for validated parking. But then you run the risk of clinical staff having to enforce parking terms - making judgements as to who is entitled. I suppose you could draw the line at people attending appointments and close relatives visiting - how close is close though?

Through the joys of parenthood I have experienced many of the NHS's finest venues. And most of them have less parking than demand.

It is a costed measure and it is a populist gesture. But they need to start weaving a narrative. It still feels like some random gestures rather than a coherent offering.

Offline Jonny-B

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7201 on: May 8, 2017, 12:27:56 pm »
Hospital car parks around here tend to be rammed full even with the current charging regime. Given that many hospitals have prime central sites, you cannot just offer free parking - there is no free parking in the surrounding area, so it would be an invitation for commuters, shoppers and others to park for free.

You would need to work on the supermarket principle for validated parking. But then you run the risk of clinical staff having to enforce parking terms - making judgements as to who is entitled. I suppose you could draw the line at people attending appointments and close relatives visiting - how close is close though?

Through the joys of parenthood I have experienced many of the NHS's finest venues. And most of them have less parking than demand.

It is a costed measure and it is a populist gesture. But they need to start weaving a narrative. It still feels like some random gestures rather than a coherent offering.

Going to disagree with you slightly here as they're still charging parking for some of the new big out of town super hospitals which don't suffer from commuter issues. Often these new ones don't have decent public transport so you're stuck with having to drive.

Obviously not always the case though. Free parking with no validation at my current nearest hospital (RUH in Bath) would be bedlam.

Offline Crumble

• It's rhyming slang
  • Kopite
« Reply #7202 on: May 8, 2017, 12:35:23 pm »

When I was on chemotherapy, our local hospital gave free parking for cancer patients. It was simple to operate: you park up as normal, on the way out you pick up a free exit barrier ticket from reception. It saved me plenty. I don't see why this couldn't be extended as desired to any or all patients or visitors without giving a free pass to commuters and shoppers.

I do agree that there isn't much in the way of narrative to Labour's announcements as yet. Although they do all fit within a loose "the many not the few" story.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7203 on: May 8, 2017, 02:18:02 pm »
A toxic association Corbyn is kryptonite... no idea why May is so high though...

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7204 on: May 8, 2017, 02:43:00 pm »

We've had free parking at all Scottish hospitals (apart from a couple that were built under PFI) for 9 years now. It did cause a few issues with residents having difficulty parking due to hospital staff having to park outside the hospital because the car parks were full but I think those issues were ironed out pretty quickly with things like resident parking zone restrictions. It has meant they have had to build a new multi storey car park at my local hospital but overall I think it has been popular.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #7205 on: May 8, 2017, 02:48:40 pm »
We've had free parking at all Scottish hospitals (apart from a couple that were built under PFI) for 9 years now. It did cause a few issues with residents having difficulty parking due to hospital staff having to park outside the hospital because the car parks were full but I think those issues were ironed out pretty quickly with things like resident parking zone restrictions. It has meant they have had to build a new multi storey car park at my local hospital but overall I think it has been popular.

I've actually had a clinical psychologist ask me if it's ok to delay an assessment for 10 minutes so she could nip out and move her car before she got a fine.

As we'll get with many of the Labour manifesto pledges, most of us will see sense in there to some degree or another. Shouldn't be getting NHS Trusts trying to generate revenue in this way to cover gaps in funding. On some things you can really see the difference between the devolved governments and the crap the Tories push out from Westminster.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7206 on: May 8, 2017, 02:59:12 pm »
Jezza was supporting one side - armed nationalists - and hoping for total victory. He was involved in 'solidarity' talks with IRA leaders, not peace talks.

The IRA was brought to the negotiating table not by men like Corbyn and McDonnell but by those they hated - Major, Blair, Hume, Trimble. It was also brought to the table by a successful military intelligence strategy that so penetrated the IRA high command that it could no longer function.
If Corbyn was involved in the peace process, any historical documented proof that he held discussions with loyalist paramilitaries? I wonder how many people actually believe him or McDonnell on this.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #7207 on: May 8, 2017, 03:21:32 pm »
Let's think about why Labour might have lost some of these mayoral elections...

You have to ask yourself if massive fucking incompetence might have been an issue.

Oh wow. I subscribe to the Labour newsletter and I received this email today:

This week it was revealed that the Tories plan to outspend us every day of this General Election, trying to drown out Labour's campaign.

They'll call on their super-rich donors and convince them to sign huge cheques.

We don't work like that. We believe that we can achieve more together than we'll achieve alone. While we don't have their war-chest, we have the collective strength of the many, donating an average of just £23.

With just 32 days to go, can you chip in to our people-funded campaign?
I'll donate £1
I'll donate £10
I'll donate £20
I'll match the average - £23
We will be outspent, but we won't be outnumbered. With so many Labour supporters and members dedicating their time and money, with cutting edge technology, and the Labour Party's vast campaigning experience, we can create a Britain for the many, not the few.

Thanks,

Team Labour

If they're going to ask for donations should they not actually make use of the funds they already have first? Gross incompetence and utterly outrageous hypocrisy to fire shots at the Tories for spending when they cannot even spend the money made available to them to gain ground.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #7208 on: May 8, 2017, 03:33:21 pm »
Oh wow. I subscribe to the Labour newsletter and I received this email today:

If they're going to ask for donations should they not actually make use of the funds they already have first? Gross incompetence and utterly outrageous hypocrisy to fire shots at the Tories for spending when they cannot even spend the money made available to them to gain ground.

I pretty much always donate to Labour during a campaign, however as I do think my donation for the Remain campaign during the EU referendum was a complete waste of money, I will not be repeating that on this occasion.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7209 on: May 8, 2017, 07:45:57 pm »
Away from Bannergate just had a Labour canvasser at the door in our marginal seat.

Good to see that in the real world something positive is happening.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7211 on: May 8, 2017, 09:09:03 pm »
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #7212 on: May 8, 2017, 09:13:16 pm »
Many sad, much tears, so crying.

Finally some good news. ;D

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #7213 on: May 8, 2017, 09:22:43 pm »
https://twitter.com/SimonDanczuk/status/861606075107336192

Many sad, much tears, so crying.

He's a twat but, I mean, he's not wrong here.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7214 on: May 8, 2017, 09:25:45 pm »

Agreed. It's possible for twats to be correct, as I prove on here occasionally.

Doesn't bode well for Rochdale. When the UKIP voters go to the Cons, it'll be at risk. Especially if it's a non-local crony of Corbyn's. Let's see if Labour can hold it

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7215 on: May 8, 2017, 09:28:33 pm »
Agreed. It's possible for twats to be correct, as I prove on here occasionally.

Doesn't bode well for Rochdale. When the UKIP voters go to the Cons, it'll be at risk. Especially if it's a non-local crony of Corbyn's. Let's see if Labour can hold it
labour 2/1 on Tories 6/1 for that seat are the best odds, would imply labour will hold onto it

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7216 on: May 8, 2017, 09:40:45 pm »
labour 2/1 on Tories 6/1 for that seat are the best odds, would imply labour will hold onto it

But that's before we find out if Danczuk is running as an independent.

Good news is, Katy Clark isn't being parachuted in! They really can't inflict her on anyone, the poor fuckers, as much as they try

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7217 on: May 8, 2017, 10:00:33 pm »
From buzz feed

"I think it’s good that people go to all the alternative sites and check out what they want," he said. "I’ve read The Canary quite a bit, I’ve read yours, I do read a lot of them."

And there we have it.

He's just a fucking idiot...

How can we criticise Trump for watching Fox News whilst this utter lowlife does the same...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/the-sound-of-leamington-spa?utm_term=.xxGQwNnqv#.lwaRLO8oZ
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #7218 on: May 8, 2017, 10:04:35 pm »

I'd say at least this bit is wrong: "With frontbench spokespeople, such as John McDonnell, continually obsessing about Karl Marx, the benefits of communism and celebrating the reign of Joseph Stalin ...", though invented would probably be a better word.

The only ones obsessing about any of those things have been McDonnell's opponents, both within and outside the party.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7219 on: May 8, 2017, 10:06:29 pm »
From buzz feed

And there we have it.

How can we criticise Trump for watching Fox News whilst this utter lowlife does the same...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/the-sound-of-leamington-spa?utm_term=.xxGQwNnqv#.lwaRLO8oZ
"There is a slight danger with social media in that people end up being an echo chamber of themselves and self-select what they want to read because it’s something they largely agree with," Corbyn said. "Of course it’s good to read about things you’re interested in or by someone you particularly like but it’s also important to expose yourself to the arguments of others. So I urge people to read widely."

Same article.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #7220 on: May 8, 2017, 10:09:49 pm »
And:

The lifelong Eurosceptic will pledge support for the Brexit process but pledge to negotiate a different type of deal with the EU to Theresa May...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7221 on: May 8, 2017, 10:13:59 pm »
Well done Jeremy said he won't resign even if Labour loses.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7222 on: May 8, 2017, 10:14:46 pm »
From buzz feed

And there we have it.

He refers to himself in the third person. That's bad enough. But as 'Monsieur Zen'? Cringeworthy as fuck, and hilarious when you see how pissed off he gets when journalists ask him questions.

Obviously the Canary stuff is batshit, but we already knew he holds weird beliefs (when he's brave enough to admit them). But the fact he's staying tells you all you need to know about the man.

Anyone who wants a Labour government needs to do what they can to get him out. Suemus Milne and Corbyn have a strategy of trying to match Milliband's vote share (in an election Labour lost...) so he can excuse himself from resigning - hence senior figures visiting safe seats in Oxford and Liverpool instead of campaigning sensibly.

Hope those members who reelected him have come to their senses, and are ready to do whatever it takes to rid Labour of this parasite when the opportunity arises.

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7223 on: May 8, 2017, 10:17:22 pm »

Fuck. Trada, please explain why that is a good thing. I beg you, give me something.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7224 on: May 8, 2017, 10:17:34 pm »
"There is a slight danger with social media in that people end up being an echo chamber of themselves and self-select what they want to read because it’s something they largely agree with," Corbyn said. "Of course it’s good to read about things you’re interested in or by someone you particularly like but it’s also important to expose yourself to the arguments of others. So I urge people to read widely."

Same article.

Finally a worthwhile message for his Corbynistas!

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7225 on: May 8, 2017, 10:20:00 pm »
Finally a worthwhile message for his Corbynistas!
he should read the Beano too...
W

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7226 on: May 8, 2017, 10:20:04 pm »
you really do love the Tories don't you?

From buzz feed

And there we have it.

id say breitbart is a better comparison in this case. Just need Owen Jones to join the canary so he can be the Bannon in this role

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7227 on: May 8, 2017, 10:23:05 pm »

Source?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #7228 on: May 8, 2017, 10:25:33 pm »
He refers to himself in the third person. That's bad enough. But as 'Monsieur Zen'? Cringeworthy as fuck, and hilarious when you see how pissed off he gets when journalists ask him questions.

Obviously the Canary stuff is batshit, but we already knew he holds weird beliefs (when he's brave enough to admit them). But the fact he's staying tells you all you need to know about the man.

Anyone who wants a Labour government needs to do what they can to get him out. Suemus Milne and Corbyn have a strategy of trying to match Milliband's vote share (in an election Labour lost...) so he can excuse himself from resigning - hence senior figures visiting safe seats in Oxford and Liverpool instead of campaigning sensibly.

Hope those members who reelected him have come to their senses, and are ready to do whatever it takes to rid Labour of this parasite when the opportunity arises.

Are there many safe seats?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7229 on: May 8, 2017, 10:25:49 pm »
Fuck. Trada, please explain why that is a good thing. I beg you, give me something.
Dave won't give you a cogent reason why.

He never does.  Which is a shame, he genuinely seems like a lovely caring bloke, but trying to engage in a meangingful discussion is too often a bit of a dead end...

It's about faith rather than facts for many Corbyn supporters I suspect.. just my opinion, I could of course be entirely wrong.
W

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7230 on: May 8, 2017, 10:26:21 pm »
Source?
From the Buzzfeed article:

Jeremy Corbyn is enjoying his first general election as Labour leader, and he wants to make something very clear: He intends to remain in the job, even if he isn't victorious in next month's vote.

"I was elected leader of this party and I’ll stay leader of this party," Corbyn told BuzzFeed News, taking a few minutes out from campaigning in the Warwickshire town of Leamington Spa.

No matter what happens on 8 June, he said, he would be "carrying on". And he insisted that the constant criticism and poor poll ratings were not getting to him. "Monsieur Zen is fine," he said.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7231 on: May 8, 2017, 10:26:25 pm »
Source?

It's the buzzfeed article quoted in the post above

You have to laugh at the transparent waffling turgid shite about Eastenders. 'We want you to look like a man of the people'. You can always tell when he's saying something preprepared. Problem is they've tried too hard, it's clearly unnatural. Like when kids lie and they end up rambling and adding loads of unnecessary extra detail to try to appear like they aren't

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7232 on: May 8, 2017, 10:28:02 pm »
From the Buzzfeed article:

The only supporting statement he has for being leader of the party is that he's currently the leader of the party. Such a radical new politics guys! :lmao

I liked this quote, could easily have been lifted from a Trump interview:
"I love it, I’ve spent my life travelling the length and breadth of this country supporting people and I’m doing it all again," Corbyn said, referring to the election as a continuation of the last two Labour leadership campaigns. "This is the third summer running out on the road!"

So much easier doing soft meet and greets, examing horny dogs, than it is to prepare a government in waiting eh. Why bother with that! Bet he already can't wait for the summer's leadership election now
« Last Edit: May 8, 2017, 10:30:19 pm by Classycara »

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7233 on: May 8, 2017, 10:33:40 pm »
This is a rousing speech with a month to go till the election!

Jeremy leads the faithful into battle

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7234 on: May 8, 2017, 10:37:01 pm »
How does the Labour leader cope with about the substantial number of lifelong Labour voters who say they still like the party but won’t vote for Jeremy Corbyn?

“It doesn’t get to me at all," he said. "What I would say is that is about the party as a whole, the policies we’re putting forward as a whole, and the individual messenger is the person who’s doing their best to put those policies forward. I was elected leader of this party, I’m proud to do it, and I’ll carry on doing it.”

More proof that the leadership is just a vanity project for him. If he felt it was about the party as a whole, and that the messenger isn't important, he'd have resigned some time ago and continued to 'influence' as an MP.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7235 on: May 8, 2017, 10:38:23 pm »
This is a rousing speech with a month to go till the election!

Jeremy leads the faithful into battle

C'mon mate. Be fair to Jezza. At least quote his final inspiring rousing message:

"Listen guys," he said, "this is our chance to go and win."

Truly, we are lucky to walk among him. What an icon

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #7236 on: May 8, 2017, 10:38:58 pm »

He won't answer. He never does.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #7237 on: May 8, 2017, 10:39:18 pm »

To be fair, he never actually said that. He said he would stay leader, which suggests he is confident of winning the election. He never mentioned the possibility of losing, it's not in any of the direct quotes, looks like buzzfeed just put it in the title and in the text as their own interpretation.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7238 on: May 8, 2017, 10:47:41 pm »
To be fair, he never actually said that. He said he would stay leader, which suggests he is confident of winning the election. He never mentioned the possibility of losing, it's not in any of the direct quotes, looks like buzzfeed just put it in the title and in the text as their own interpretation.

It's clear he was asked by the journalist what he would do if he lost.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #7239 on: May 8, 2017, 10:53:41 pm »
It's clear he was asked by the journalist what he would do if he lost.

I don't think it's as clear as that. As has been pointed out above, it would be wrong to even talk about the possibility of losing at this stage. Has May said what she'd do if she lost? Had Miliband done it before the last election? As pointless as it is, at this moment it's his job to at least pretend that losing is not on the agenda.