Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2772679 times)

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #61520 on: October 10, 2021, 04:16:49 pm »
jets score (decent drive too) but obviously miss the PAT

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61521 on: October 10, 2021, 04:20:29 pm »
Wilson isn't 100% ready.  I hope he's got the right mentality (I think he does), but the lack of a veteran backup and rookie HC and OC is a problem.

Wilson's arm talent is real.  But it's interesting:  pretty much all of his best plays so far are on rollouts or broken plays.  It is classic gunslinger college QB.  He has struggled every game in the quick short passes out of the pocket.  Robert Salah has talked multiple times about doing the "boring" and "routine" better, and it's clear that's been Wilson's issue.  Add the speed of the game to the equation, and he just doesn't look good.

Sometimes you need to learn by doing, but there's something to be said by working out the issues with him on the practice field.
King Kenny.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61522 on: October 10, 2021, 04:21:13 pm »
Jesus H Christ what was that abomination of a half-time show?

Fucking awful ;D

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61523 on: October 10, 2021, 04:22:36 pm »
the jets not bringing in some kind of veteran journeyman QB backup that wilson can learn from was an odd non-choice in the summer.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #61524 on: October 10, 2021, 04:24:51 pm »
the jets not bringing in some kind of veteran journeyman QB backup that wilson can learn from was an odd non-choice in the summer.

Well yeah he really has to learn at the job so to speak, but they're in the boat now and maybe he can start pay some dividends next season once Saleh has got the Jets defence in order so that he doesn't have to score on every drive like Mahomes been needing to do lately. When you're MVP-level that's doable but for a rookie that's super hard.
Linudden.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61525 on: October 10, 2021, 04:32:22 pm »
bring back flacco?

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61526 on: October 10, 2021, 04:49:24 pm »
Michael Carter only getting 5 yards on a big-play screen chance.  Vera-Tucker missing a block on the Crowder screen.  Moore going out of bounds and then coming back in.

Rookie QB.  Rookie players all over.  Rookie head coach.  Rookie OC.

Well, I just hope to see some progress...
King Kenny.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61527 on: October 10, 2021, 04:56:39 pm »
I hope the rumours of a game in germany are true. I'd defo go to that, regardless of the teams involved.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61528 on: October 10, 2021, 05:27:54 pm »
You get so used to watching red zone…that actually sitting and watching a single game on a sunday afternoon, is quite tedious.

Jets don’t help the case but still

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61529 on: October 10, 2021, 05:31:16 pm »
You get so used to watching red zone…that actually sitting and watching a single game on a sunday afternoon, is quite tedious.

Jets don’t help the case but still

I like watching an entire game and seeing which way it goes, when it's a good game.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61530 on: October 10, 2021, 05:46:40 pm »
I like watching an entire game and seeing which way it goes, when it's a good game.
I think my brain has been forever changed by red zone. But only for this sport

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61531 on: October 10, 2021, 05:52:26 pm »

It's odd, and I think it's a major issue.  Wilson's problem isn't his talent or his arm.  It's the boring short throws.  Every young QB thinks he can make the big play (and why not?  They did in college).  But it's the short passes you have to excel on.  First and 10 (defense gives your TE a 5-yard cushion).  Second and 10 (screen is set up).  Third and 5 (off coverage on one of your receivers).  It's nice to have the occasional throw-it-on-the-run 50-yard pass, but chains are moved with those short plays.  I envy what the Chiefs did with Mahomes because he has as much a gunslinger mentality as any QB that's ever played.  But instead of throwing him out there day 1, they sat him behind Alex Smith and showed Mahomes how game management works.  As a result, the Chiefs found the perfect balance:  Mahomes can manage the short/intermediate stuff while still showing off his insane arm talent when needed.  Like when the Ravens bring their blitz, Mahomes can do a crazy deep drop and then hit Hill for 50 yards.  But he can also convert third and medium to Kelce.  He might still do weird shit that fails (like the Ravens INT this year or that crazy 30-yard sack against the Dolphins), but he's at least "boring" enough normally not to be boom or bust.  If Mahomes started day 1 on a bad team, we would've seen a lot more of the Super Bowl Mahomes:  bad O-line play and nonexistent running game has him playing crazy backyard football.  Even when the O-Line improved a bit, it was still hero-ball scrambling  and backyard football, which isn't going to win you games in the NFL.

You can take your lumps with rookies but the fact that Wilson struggles badly on the routine (quick, short passes) signifies he's not really ready.  He'll wow you on occasion with a deep ball (ala the Titans game) before missing a wide open receiver on third and medium.  You just can't have that right now.  I really wish the Jets worked on the simple stuff with him first before throwing him in there.  The most exciting plays with him are when the plays break down and he heaves it downfield.  Fine, it's exciting for many QBs.  But what about that second and ten pass in the flat?  Can he throw it consistently  where the receiver can catch it and turn up field?  I don't see it right now.

You're getting the boom and bust rookie gunslinger.  It is what it is, but I don't want to him either get hurt taking too many risks or getting gun shy from mistakes.  He's got by all accounts a great mentality, but the NFL chews out QBs like none other.  The rookie coaching staff is tough for him too.

Really wish there could be a veteran QB he could learn from or to have played early.  Even if you throw him in day 1, having an experienced QB on the sidelines and in practice to work on stuff would probably help.  Oh well.
King Kenny.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #61532 on: October 10, 2021, 07:28:54 pm »
I think my brain has been forever changed by red zone. But only for this sport
Same.

I used to, but no longer can sit through an entire game with my focus on it. Redzone is an absolute must for me.

Otherwise if there is a single game going on, I have to have something else playing, might be ADHD! but it's just too many ads and stoppages.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #61533 on: October 10, 2021, 08:20:20 pm »
I hope the rumours of a game in germany are true. I'd defo go to that, regardless of the teams involved.

Olympic Stadium in Berlin? I assume Munich or Frankfurt might be other options.
Linudden.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #61534 on: October 10, 2021, 09:02:13 pm »
that 4 box redzone was intense, poor Lions
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61535 on: October 10, 2021, 09:03:50 pm »

harsh that. especially after showing the balls to go for 2 and get it as well.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61536 on: October 10, 2021, 09:07:14 pm »
fuck me he's missed again.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #61537 on: October 10, 2021, 09:07:44 pm »
Mason Crosby will not be employed.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61538 on: October 10, 2021, 09:08:31 pm »
wow he never misses and now he's missed 3 in a row.

Darnold threw the ball like he was still at the Jets today
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61539 on: October 10, 2021, 09:09:22 pm »
Mason Crosby will not be employed.

He'd hit something like 27 in a row beforehand, he's got a lot of credit in the bank.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61540 on: October 10, 2021, 09:11:09 pm »
He'd hit something like 27 in a row beforehand, he's got a lot of credit in the bank.

Not when you miss consecutive huge kicks. Be amazed if he's still there next week

Online jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #61541 on: October 10, 2021, 09:11:14 pm »
Great game in Cincinnati. Burrow and Chase are a great combination to build a team around.
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61542 on: October 10, 2021, 09:12:08 pm »
Not when you miss consecutive huge kicks. Be amazed if he's still there next week

he's mason crosby, not jimmy mckicker the rookie out of shankit state

Online jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #61543 on: October 10, 2021, 09:12:52 pm »
Bengals kicker hits the post again....wow
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61544 on: October 10, 2021, 09:14:06 pm »
haha wtf is going on here, Bengals just doing Bengals shit

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61545 on: October 10, 2021, 09:15:13 pm »
it's been fucking hilarious to watch.

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61546 on: October 10, 2021, 09:24:33 pm »
Hope Crosby misses again just for the hilarity of it. Tie game seems fair

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #61547 on: October 10, 2021, 09:49:59 pm »
It was intense just to see which is the biggest force in the football universe - the Vikings inability to kick winning FGs vs the Lions propensity to lose games as the clock runs out in heart breaking fashion.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61548 on: October 10, 2021, 09:52:50 pm »
Well, at least the umps have got the memo from Goodell about Gruden.

If they so much as sneeze, flags come out.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61549 on: October 10, 2021, 09:55:09 pm »
Well, at least the umps have got the memo from Goodell about Gruden.

If they so much as sneeze, flags come out.

a mate of mine is a raiders fan and they're apparently always getting penalised for something or other.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61550 on: October 10, 2021, 10:00:05 pm »
a mate of mine is a raiders fan and they're apparently always getting penalised for something or other.
see?! I knew it  ;D

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61551 on: October 10, 2021, 10:05:01 pm »
Burrow has a throat contusion?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #61552 on: October 10, 2021, 10:41:58 pm »
Giants 10 all vs Cowboys but lost Barkley to ankle injury & Jones has been carted off looks like concussion.
#Sausages

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61553 on: October 10, 2021, 10:57:12 pm »
Giants 10 all vs Cowboys but lost Barkley to ankle injury & Jones has been carted off looks like concussion.

Jones was walking like he'd had 14 pints.

The browns defence looks like it's real this year.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #61554 on: October 10, 2021, 11:00:34 pm »
Sounds like an NFL game in Germany will happen next year
#Sausages

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61555 on: October 10, 2021, 11:01:34 pm »
Sounds like an NFL game in Germany will happen next year

I'd be all over that.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61556 on: October 10, 2021, 11:51:17 pm »
But let's see how this goes. Anything other than a decent win (without the need for some miracle plays or OT) should be expected, against a team that is still trying to work out its identity.
I think I got my answer. However this game turns out. Pathetic.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61557 on: October 10, 2021, 11:53:02 pm »
Fuck all points across 2 games while in LA it's all going off. A couple of really fun teams.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61558 on: October 10, 2021, 11:56:13 pm »
The Browns are really impressive. Never thought such a sentence was possible, but they are a quality team now.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61559 on: October 11, 2021, 12:01:33 am »
Trey lance cutting inside and dropping the shoulder in his own half.....

Fuck that kid just get out of bounds.