Author Topic: 2018 in Music  (Read 126548 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: 2018 in Music
« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2018, 08:56:58 pm »
https://www.npr.org/2018/02/22/587246778/first-listen-soccer-mommy-clean

New album by Sophie Allison AKA Soccer Mommy.

She is fucking brilliant. Likeable smart fuzzy pop.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2018, 09:14:46 pm »
Yowser, the new Jannelle Monae is a monster. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tGRzz0oqgUE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tGRzz0oqgUE</a>

I think in many ways her and St Vincent seem to increasingly be ploughing similar creative furrows, which isn't a bad thing in my book. I've been a big fan of Monae for a few years now but I do wonder whether her persona and the imagery she uses, which is very art fashion-based and which relies a lot on transhumanism concepts and dictatorship symbolism, will ultimately prevent her from being a big mainstream star. Bowie for instance didn't break huge until he was a good 15 years into his career and made an effort to project a more acessible persona.

That song is brilliant, love Janelle she is fucking gorgeous too.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline Brooklyn

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2018, 09:17:25 pm »
https://www.npr.org/2018/02/22/587246778/first-listen-soccer-mommy-clean

New album by Sophie Allison AKA Soccer Mommy.

She is fucking brilliant. Likeable smart fuzzy pop.
Been looking forward to that one.

Also, new Parquet Courts announced. Single is really good.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2018, 09:28:10 pm »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2018, 09:59:44 am »
New Amen Dunes album is out there. Really good stuff on first listen. Think you'll enjoy it, Sam.

Really liking the new Caroline Rose album too. Such a departure from her first album, but it works.

Pissing Stars by Efrim Manuel Menuck may just be the best thing I've listened to so far this year. Some absolute belting tracks. So dark, but it has a nice pop sensibility.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2018, 10:22:10 am »
Pissing Stars by Efrim Manuel Menuck may just be the best thing I've listened to so far this year. Some absolute belting tracks. So dark, but it has a nice pop sensibility.

2 tunes in - really liking this. Reminds me a bit of the last really good Flaming Lips album - The Terror.  Same kind of washed out, reverb drenched darkness.  Into putting the longest track first too. Thanks dude.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2018, 10:51:59 am »
I urge pretty much the majority of regulars on here to get the new Lionlimb album!

Made a brilliant album called Shoo in 2016 - this is more sparse but Sam, Alonso and even Flashing Blade will like it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:58:58 am by Nick110581 »

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2018, 11:53:18 am »
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Brooklyn

• Kopite
« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2018, 04:44:39 pm »
First Belly track in 20+ years released today... sounds good!!

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2018, 05:33:02 pm »
New Amen Dunes album is out there. Really good stuff on first listen. Think you'll enjoy it, Sam.

Really liking the new Caroline Rose album too. Such a departure from her first album, but it works.

Oh thank you very much - new to me and from what I am hearing, I likes. Cheers mate.
And in short, I was afraid

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2018, 05:35:51 pm »
I urge pretty much the majority of regulars on here to get the new Lionlimb album!

Made a brilliant album called Shoo in 2016 - this is more sparse but Sam, Alonso and even Flashing Blade will like it.

Please explain yourself young man!

;)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2018, 05:46:12 pm »
Please explain yourself young man!

;)

Haha.

It is not safe Dad rock basically!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2018, 10:03:04 pm »
Are we allowed re-issues? Excellent!

New to me: 'Simply Saucer' from Canada. Wiki tells me that the band were hardly recognised outside their local area, but I do love this sort of thing. Made me think: When I was 15 in the mid 80's I'd be getting giddy with trying to catch up on shit yet alone listening to stuff being made at the time - just think how much you could delve into now 30 years later? It's literally bottomless and it fair does my swede in.

So much easier to copy and paste:

'Simply Saucer is a Canadian rock band formed during the 1970s. The band's style has been described as a hybrid of proto-punk and psychedelia and they form a "Rust-belt punk" style, along with The Stooges, MC5 and Alice Cooper. The group's references also included German progressive rock, or Krautrock, and early electronic music pioneers such as Karlheinz Stockhausen. Cyborgs quickly came to be regarded as a lost classic of Canadian music, frequently being named one of the greatest Canadian albums of all time. It ranked 48th in Chart magazine's 1996 reader poll of the greatest Canadian albums, and 36th in Bob Mersereau's 2007 book The Top 100 Canadian Albums.'

They've reissued their 1989 release 'Cyborgs Revisited' though it was recorded between 1974-75. Thought of cloggypop :wave

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-rqNal6HLxw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-rqNal6HLxw</a>

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2018, 08:43:33 am »
2 tunes in - really liking this. Reminds me a bit of the last really good Flaming Lips album - The Terror.  Same kind of washed out, reverb drenched darkness.  Into putting the longest track first too. Thanks dude.

Oh thank you very much - new to me and from what I am hearing, I likes. Cheers mate.

Very welcome, chaps. How great is the last track?

Any Colin Stetson fans here? Was never really a fan, but there's another guy called Jason Sharp, who is in a similar vein and has released a new album, 'Stand Above the Streams'. Really nice night time listen.

Heaps of other stuff to get through which was released yesterday. It's all starting to ramp up...

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2018, 12:49:10 pm »
Love the new Parquet Courts single. If the album keeps that quality up, it's going to be brilliant.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2018, 10:44:01 pm »

Good recommendation, Nick. Got some heavy Elliott Smith vibes here.

Been a good day for new music. Some post first listen mutterings...

Olden Yolk - Olden Yolk: Young band from Boston creating a slow burning psychadelia somewhere between the Brian Jonestown Massacre and Galaxie 500. Really solid debut.

Loma - Loma: Mr Okkervil will be all over this like a rash. It's Jonathan Meiberg from Shearwater's new project. FB - you will like this, too. Very Low-esque. The first track is absolutely gorgeous.

Psychic Markers - Hardly Strangers: Never heard of them previously, but it's their second album and their first on Bella Union. Laid back psychedelic rock from Devon. There's some traces of doo-wop, too. Think there were a few on here who liked the Ultimate Painting record from yesteryear (they have a new one coming out soon, too). This might be up your street.

Augie March - Bootikins: Could never really get into the Aussie darlings, other than their debut single, 'The Hole In Your Roof' which is probably one of my favourite Australian tracks ever written. A part from that song, though, I could never really click with them, but hopefully that'll change here. This sounds very nice and seemingly a perfect foil for the new Red River Dialect album which continues to impress.   

New music to the wayside. Time for a Polvo phase! (It's time Chip waxes lyrical about this band [again] :))

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2018, 11:38:40 pm »
Polvo
I too would love to read some lyrical waxing over these lads. Afraid I was a bit late to the Polvo party, only got into them when In Prism came out Fucking love that album, by the way - great mix of shorter, immediate almost classic rocky tracks and longer, slow building post-rocky mood pieces. Great stuff. Siberia was ace too. They're about due another album aren't they? Don't know much about their earlier stuff, but Exploded Drawing is nice. That Fast Canoe song is something else.

Cheers for the recommendations. Christ knows if I'll ever get round to checking any of them out, but I'll try if I remember. That Loma sounds like it could be right up my street.

On the subject of recommendations, I had a listen to that Alvarius B album. Pretty fucking ace actually, so nice one Filler. Another one I may eventually buy but, you know...money. I assumed it would be a bit too experimental for me due to my very sketchy knowledge of the Sun City GIrls but it was surprisingly accessible, and I'm a sucker for a catchy tune despite all my chinstroking pretensions.

Tangentially related, but the catchiest moment on the very catchy Ezra Furman album I mentioned a while back is the last tune, which has a proper earwormy refrain that goes "I lost my innocence, to a guy named Vincent." Was unknowingly singing that to myself while I cleaned the kitchen today, and my missus was cracking up in the other room. Still on the subject of catchy tunes, heard this today which has pushed the Vincent innocence-losing right out of my skull, for better or worse:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LhJ0n5G5jCo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LhJ0n5G5jCo</a>

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2018, 11:49:46 pm »
Some news out the other day:

'The Invisible Hands follows Alan Bishop and his band in Cairo

Made over the course of five years, the film documents Bishop's trip to the Egyptian capital and the formation of outfit The Invisible Hands

Film makers Marina Gioti and Georges Salameh have made a new film about Alan Bishop and his band, The Invisible Hands. The camera starts rolling after the 2011 uprisings in Egypt and follows Bishop on his trip to Cairo and his subsequent collaboration with Egyptian musicians Aya Hemeda, Cherif El Masri and Adham Zidan. What started off as a one off project to translate some of Bishop's works into Arabic, would then turn into the outfit The Invisible Hands.

The film features documentary and archival footage, as well as diary narrations by Bishop. As well as The Invisible Hands members, also making an appearance in the film are: Richard Bishop, Hani El Masri, Mahmoud Hemeda, Sam Shalabi, Hany Zaki, Mervat Abou Oaf, Nabil Ali Maher, and Marcus Boon

The Invisible Hands premiered at documenta 14 art exhibition in Athens and Kassel. It will also show in Tokyo on 22 February. '

https://www.thewire.co.uk/news/50006/the-invisible-hands-follows-alan-bishop-and-his-band-in-cairo

I think I read somewhere recently that a documentary was being made, but didn't realise it was about his formation of Invisible Hands during turbulent years in Egypt. Could well be a fascinating film.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZE0dlLH9BJA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZE0dlLH9BJA</a>

... and a favourite track of theirs. There are many Kings in Egypt y'know ;)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SwjBX3qkgcM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SwjBX3qkgcM</a>

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2018, 12:37:11 am »
On the subject of recommendations, I had a listen to that Alvarius B album. Pretty fucking ace actually, so nice one Filler. Another one I may eventually buy but, you know...money. I assumed it would be a bit too experimental for me due to my very sketchy knowledge of the Sun City GIrls but it was surprisingly accessible, and I'm a sucker for a catchy tune despite all my chinstroking pretensions.

And so many catchy tunes! The Reason, Suitcase Handler, I'll Carry Your Dwarf (*swoon*). Take The Viel Down and then there's Mandolyne... Trains, ... dozens of them.

Online Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
  • We all ride the red and white gallop
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2018, 01:14:46 am »
Are we allowed re-issues? Excellent!

New to me: 'Simply Saucer' from Canada. Wiki tells me that the band were hardly recognised outside their local area, but I do love this sort of thing. Made me think: When I was 15 in the mid 80's I'd be getting giddy with trying to catch up on shit yet alone listening to stuff being made at the time - just think how much you could delve into now 30 years later? It's literally bottomless and it fair does my swede in.

So much easier to copy and paste:

'Simply Saucer is a Canadian rock band formed during the 1970s. The band's style has been described as a hybrid of proto-punk and psychedelia and they form a "Rust-belt punk" style, along with The Stooges, MC5 and Alice Cooper. The group's references also included German progressive rock, or Krautrock, and early electronic music pioneers such as Karlheinz Stockhausen. Cyborgs quickly came to be regarded as a lost classic of Canadian music, frequently being named one of the greatest Canadian albums of all time. It ranked 48th in Chart magazine's 1996 reader poll of the greatest Canadian albums, and 36th in Bob Mersereau's 2007 book The Top 100 Canadian Albums.'

They've reissued their 1989 release 'Cyborgs Revisited' though it was recorded between 1974-75. Thought of cloggypop :wave

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-rqNal6HLxw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-rqNal6HLxw</a>
I'm not that fond of punk in general, but i'm sold when they turn up the electronics on Instant Pleasure. It's Devo on amphetamine mixed with Chrome's robotic menace.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:29:26 am by Szemerényi »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2018, 07:53:30 am »
Great tips Alonso.

Ultimate Painting have split up though. Album been shelved despite being ready to go.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2018, 08:00:09 am »
Great tips Alonso.

Ultimate Painting have split up though. Album been shelved despite being ready to go.

Love to be a fly on the wall when they had whatever bust up it was that caused that. Must be bad to shelve an entire LP. They've been touring recently as well.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2018, 08:15:21 am »
Love to be a fly on the wall when they had whatever bust up it was that caused that. Must be bad to shelve an entire LP. They've been touring recently as well.

I think I said to you that I spoke to Jack Cooper after the solo gig he did with A Savage (of Parquet Courts) in January and he was buzzing about the record and tour.

Said it was their best yet and touring in April / May with festivals to follow. Was a genuinely lovely guy.

Really bizarre breakup as slowly becoming one of the best bands around. Their back catalogue is staggeringly underrated.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2018, 12:13:26 pm »
And so many catchy tunes! The Reason, Suitcase Handler, I'll Carry Your Dwarf (*swoon*). Take The Viel Down and then there's Mandolyne... Trains, ... dozens of them.
Indeed. I really like some of his lyrics, too. A great mixture of oddness, darkness and hyper-cynical humour. Stuff like Dark in My Heart, and the one about smoking. Zappaesque, and not in a bad way. His voice has got a touch of Zappa too, at times. It's in the world-weary sneer, I think.

Still can't get with the whole Keita as a 6 thing but otherwise, colour me converted.

New car seat headrest is more of the same, and it's great.
Cheers for the heads up, this one almost passed me by for some reason. Will check it out, really liked that last one he did.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2018, 08:27:45 pm »
New music to the wayside. Time for a Polvo phase! (It's time Chip waxes lyrical about this band [again] :))

Ha, been a while since I did I suppose! Loads of snow due this week so I'll definitely wax something during the week.

I too would love to read some lyrical waxing over these lads. Afraid I was a bit late to the Polvo party, only got into them when In Prism came out Fucking love that album, by the way - great mix of shorter, immediate almost classic rocky tracks and longer, slow building post-rocky mood pieces. Great stuff. Siberia was ace too. They're about due another album aren't they? Don't know much about their earlier stuff, but Exploded Drawing is nice. That Fast Canoe song is something else.

Unfortunately Siberia was it I think. It barely got released and was mostly finished by Ash Bowie and the Mark II drummer Brian Quast on their own. No tour or fanfare when it was released. Dave Brylawski the other guitarist lives in Washington DC and the rest live in North Carolina and he had a baby or got a promotion or possibly both during the recording sessions. He had been flying down and suddenly couldn't anymore. I don't think they have officially called it a day but the hiatus is without anyone expecting more Polvo tunes. What an indian summer those 2 albums are though. Plus the synth bits creeping in on Siberia hinted at potentially loads more to come.

Their original drummer Eddie Watkins died a year or so ago too. Up there with the best 90's drummers. Not sure if I made a big deal about it at the time.

Will lash a bit up about their early years later. Their 2 pre hiatus EPs are miracles of the format. Perfect. And Today's Active Lifestyles, maybe my favourite guitar album ever. In a very crowded field.

EDIT - here's an interview i can remember with Brylawski from around the time of Siberia confirming the hiatus and lack of anything new planned. My recollection of the time is a bit off. Bass player was going back to college too. http://diffuser.fm/polvo-interview-2013/lhza
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:04:31 pm by Chip Evans »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2018, 10:54:54 pm »
Still can't get with the whole Keita as a 6 thing but otherwise, colour me converted.

I've been dreaming about it for 20 odd years. 30 even. Fuck it, 40 then, so woe betide those who get in my way about it!

Agree about the humour in the album. There's lots in SCG too, but it's often buried deep. Sometimes the humour lies in a 'WTF!? You released a whole album of this shit?!' moment when you get the record home tho ;D Sometimes it's in your face, but yeah, it's beautifully written I think. You know what it sounds like to me? It sounds like a good old fashioned rock and roll album - the sort of thing that a Springsteen fan should like, and I never thought I'd fall so head over heels with ANYTHING like that!

edit: It even ends with a 'Take me home Daddy...' type comment and a guitar solo to end it all off. Fantastic ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:03:15 pm by Filler. »

Online Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2018, 11:49:58 pm »
Best thing about Polvo was the way the guitar-player bended the notes to make it sound like a string instrument from Eastern Asia.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2018, 09:46:30 am »
Best thing about Polvo was the way the guitar-player bended the notes to make it sound like a string instrument from Eastern Asia.

You're definitely right - there's an asian influence all over their stuff. I think that's how the 2 guitar players became friends at college - smoking weed and listening to Ravi Shankar, they've definitely spoken about it in interviews. Ash Bowie is a proper genius guitarist, up there with Thurston Moore or any of the other slacker heroes - spent my whole 20s in terrible bands trying to rip off exactly the note bending you are talking about, the big snakey melodies too. Think he used a baritone at times, and tuned it way down and then just gripped and ripped the life out of it. There's some Sitar stuff on Exploded Drawing and Shapes, and I think he used it a bit in that band Helium with Mary Timoney. There's even a tune on one of the EPs, which was a semi comedic retort to all the Sonic Youth and Sebadoh comparisons (definitely warranted early on), a big shout of "And we just bought a Sitar so be prepared".
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:17:45 am by Chip Evans »

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2018, 04:52:39 pm »
Great stuff, Chip.

Totally agree on the Ravi Shankar vibes. They began the bastardisation of the man’s music only to then hand the mantle to the irrepressible Grails who further redefined that sound. Emil Amos, too, was from Chapel Hill so it’s no coincidence.

I was lucky enough to Polvo at the Explosions in the Sky ATP and they were, as you would expect, very much on it. ‘Feather of Forgiveness’ being a personal highlight on the day. Said a quick hello to Ash Bowie during the weekend too. A genuine nice, modest, average-joe kind of guy. I believe he’s still in Chapel Hill and is a qualified electrician, or something? Great story!

‘In Prism’ and ‘Siberia’ are out and out classics. Out of all the reformations that have transpired in the last 20 years, none have – and I will ever – top Polvo’s. These two albums pretty much confirmed that they will forever be in my top 10 bands of all time. I think ‘In Prism’ is slightly better but only just. I remember it fondly, as it got me through some dark times which coincided with its release.

As for their earlier work, can’t go past ‘Exploded Drawing’, however listening to ‘Cor-Crane Secret’ and had they enlisted Bob Weston’s expertise from behind the studio glass, then I think that could well have been their finest album. The songs are absolutely immense (Vibracobra, Sense of It, Ox Scapula among the best). 

No matter how many times you hold an ear to their music, they still manage to strike you out with a surprise curve ball. Listening to a lot of tunes over the years and generally, you can anticipate where a rhythm or a riff ends up. Not with Polvo, though. Dave Brylawski and Ash Bowie effortlessly guide you down dark allies only to then project you into a totally different stratosphere. Like an alternative sonic utopia. So so good.

Even the EPs owned and for new ears, wouldn’t be the worst place to start. ‘Celebrate the New Dark Age’ being the best of the bunch for mine.

What a band.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2018, 06:05:52 pm »
Unfortunately Siberia was it I think. It barely got released and was mostly finished by Ash Bowie and the Mark II drummer Brian Quast on their own. No tour or fanfare when it was released. Dave Brylawski the other guitarist lives in Washington DC and the rest live in North Carolina and he had a baby or got a promotion or possibly both during the recording sessions. He had been flying down and suddenly couldn't anymore. I don't think they have officially called it a day but the hiatus is without anyone expecting more Polvo tunes. What an indian summer those 2 albums are though. Plus the synth bits creeping in on Siberia hinted at potentially loads more to come.

Their original drummer Eddie Watkins died a year or so ago too. Up there with the best 90's drummers. Not sure if I made a big deal about it at the time.

Will lash a bit up about their early years later. Their 2 pre hiatus EPs are miracles of the format. Perfect. And Today's Active Lifestyles, maybe my favourite guitar album ever. In a very crowded field.

EDIT - here's an interview i can remember with Brylawski from around the time of Siberia confirming the hiatus and lack of anything new planned. My recollection of the time is a bit off. Bass player was going back to college too. http://diffuser.fm/polvo-interview-2013/lhza
Cheers for that mate, and I'd be interested to hear more about their early stuff. Only got Exploded Drawing of the 90s Polvo, and will probably get more at some stage. Shame to hear that they're probably done, they really have something. In the "bands that I was too young for first time round but have since reformed and are making great music" category, along with Mission of Burma and Dinosaur Jr.

Agree about the humour in the album. There's lots in SCG too, but it's often buried deep. Sometimes the humour lies in a 'WTF!? You released a whole album of this shit?!' moment when you get the record home tho ;D Sometimes it's in your face, but yeah, it's beautifully written I think. You know what it sounds like to me? It sounds like a good old fashioned rock and roll album - the sort of thing that a Springsteen fan should like, and I never thought I'd fall so head over heels with ANYTHING like that!

The older I get, the more I realise that I'm probably a bit of a MOR man at heart, I'm all about the hummable tunes and whatnot. It'll be War on Drugs next (don't mind them actually, I get neither the hype nor the hate), then a shift across to Coldplay and I'll probably end up pottering about to the dulcet tones of Edward Sheeran. Never really got into Springsteen though, weirdly, apart from Nebraska - either his least or most MOR album I guess, depending on your perspective.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:33:45 pm by Djozer »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2018, 06:19:42 pm »
Never really got into Springsteen though, weirdly, apart from Nebraska - either his least or most MOR album I guess, depending on your perspective.

Just his best LP mate, no shame in that. Or am I MOR? ;D Anyway, as HMHB sang, everything's AOR. (PS if you don't know that song, get it on as it's brilliant)

Hands up anyone who had The Clientele's 'Music For The Age Of Miracles' in their top 10s last year?

You are quicker on the ball than I, if you raised your hand, for I have just become obsessed with it these last few days. Sounds to me like Mick Head/Notorious Byrd Brothers/The Pastels/High Llamas. Orchestrated and lovely.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2018, 06:42:34 pm »
Just his best LP mate, no shame in that. Or am I MOR? ;D Anyway, as HMHB sang, everything's AOR. (PS if you don't know that song, get it on as it's brilliant)
It is a brilliant album. Why couldn't he have just done every album like that? Why all the unnecessary bells and whistles, Bruce, why all the overproduced bombast? Why not simply let those lovely coffee table ditties stand on their own two acoustic feet? WHY?

Don't know much about HMHB I'm afraid. I should probably rectify that knowledge gap at some point. The name always put me off for some reason. Same with Dinosaur Jr - the name always made me assume they'd be shit, until I actually bothered listening to them. All about the band names, as per this thread's discussion not long back.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2018, 07:47:43 pm »
Don't know much about HMHB I'm afraid. I should probably rectify that knowledge gap at some point. The name always put me off for some reason. Same with Dinosaur Jr - the name always made me assume they'd be shit, until I actually bothered listening to them. All about the band names, as per this thread's discussion not long back.

I was a relative latecomer.

Don't generally like comedy in music, bar the odd wry line - I was a serious youth, man...no time for jokes with my tunes...

However I eventually got sucked in. One thing I would say is don't let the old farts tell you the first 2 albums from the 80s are the best...they're not...they have been better ever since they came back from their initial split...

1991   McIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt
1993   This Leaden Pall   
1995   Some Call It Godcore
1997   Voyage to the Bottom of the Road
1998   Four Lads Who Shook the Wirral
2000   Trouble Over Bridgwater
2002   Cammell Laird Social Club
2005   Achtung Bono

A brilliant 14 year run. I still like the other albums before and after but for me this is their peak run...especially 97-05. Just so fucking funny lyrically. Lots of pisstaking of the band 'scene', which I wholeheartedly enjoy, having been in similar situations...'I wanna be like Lou Barlow...but I'm more like Ken Barlow'

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2018, 10:34:20 pm »

Cheers for the info, I may well check them out sometime. Think my uncle (very) vaguely knows one of them from back in the day, so I probably should give them a go. That Lou Barlow/Ken Barlow thing is quite funny. Pretty sure I may actually have thought the Sebadoh/Dinosaur Jr was called Ken at some point, that confusion seems to ring a slight bell somewhere...maybe I just heard the HMHB song sometime and then forgot.

I'm somewhat similar about comedy in music, generally. It tends to have to be a bit surreal for me not to find it quite irritating (although most of the bands I was involved in eons ago were various degrees of comedy, sometimes even intentionally) and swerving into the realm of "novelty." Always felt Tom Waits has a great level of sly humour, Zappa too, but other than that I generally swerve it in music, outside of hip hop. Think I tend to go for serious-minded men and women singing their earnest little hearts out, mostly. That Alvarius B had some really funny moments that managed not to irritate me at all, mind.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2018, 10:09:30 am »

Hands up anyone who had The Clientele's 'Music For The Age Of Miracles' in their top 10s last year?

You are quicker on the ball than I, if you raised your hand, for I have just become obsessed with it these last few days. Sounds to me like Mick Head/Notorious Byrd Brothers/The Pastels/High Llamas. Orchestrated and lovely.

Not quite top 10 but made my top 50. It's lovely. Remember listening to it on Sundays whilst going through a stroll in Sefton Park. Perfect album for that!

Will pen some stuff on Mr Springsteen later. Been phasing on the man's work for the last couple of months after reading 'Chapter and Verse'.

As for HMHB. Are you a walk up starter for their one off show later in the year, sir? Thanks for the above recommendations. Will have a dabble, as I've only delved sporadically in the past.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2018, 11:17:54 am »
Not quite top 10 but made my top 50. It's lovely. Remember listening to it on Sundays whilst going through a stroll in Sefton Park. Perfect album for that!

Will pen some stuff on Mr Springsteen later. Been phasing on the man's work for the last couple of months after reading 'Chapter and Verse'.

As for HMHB. Are you a walk up starter for their one off show later in the year, sir? Thanks for the above recommendations. Will have a dabble, as I've only delved sporadically in the past.

A man of fine taste! I can now confirm its an equally lovely listen while cycling to work in the snow, Princes Park was lovely this morning.

Definitely tempted to go to HMHB. Seen them a couple of times. They've had a lineup change this year (guitarist left) so intrigued to see how that goes.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2018, 11:24:58 am »
Really into the Insecure Men album - guy from Childhood and guitarist from Fat White Family.

https://insecuremen.bandcamp.com

It sounds very brit-poppy but in a good way.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2018, 03:08:37 pm »
The new Ezra Furman single ( which is good) reminds me of something else and its doing my head in, ..the song Im thinking of starts in a simialr style..with a line something like " Ive gort my monther and my brother and sister too...."......Ive tried the search sites with no joy.

Anyone?

Online Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2018, 04:07:37 pm »
Only one i can think of is this old blues song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVM8MuN8CKo
'If you have that gal of mine, im gonna have your ma, your sister too; your auntie three, if your great-grandmammy do the shiveree, I’m gonna have her four…'

Whatever that means :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:09:25 pm by Szemerényi »

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2018, 04:24:18 pm »
The new Ezra Furman single ( which is good) reminds me of something else and its doing my head in, ..the song Im thinking of starts in a simialr style..with a line something like " Ive gort my monther and my brother and sister too...."......Ive tried the search sites with no joy.

Anyone?
Which is the single? Is it Love You so Bad or another one? That one seems to remind me of something, but a few of his songs do too in some ways.

Maybe he's actually a naughty little plagiarist, which would be rather disappointing. Don't think so though, think he's just an ace classic songwriter. You heard the album? I really, really like it.