Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 175506 times)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #960 on: July 25, 2019, 08:20:55 pm »
One of the random things that’s appeared is this. I’ve no idea what most things are but this one is a complete mystery. It’s shot up really tall. Little white pendulous flowers starting to appear...

"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #961 on: July 25, 2019, 08:31:50 pm »
Dundee Bamboo.

Very rare.

Great name as well.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #962 on: July 25, 2019, 09:18:18 pm »
Thanks man that’s perfect!
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #963 on: July 25, 2019, 09:49:20 pm »
On removing the Eucalypt... we got rid of a massive ground covering conifer in the Autumn last year (which was where the 1st patio went). Long story short everything in its vicinity has now gone absolutely ballistic, presumably cos of the extra water going around to share. There are things flourishing that you could barely see last year and a good few shrubs flowering that over two years had just sat there. Also turns out we have gooseberries in there we didn't realise we had. Take one big bugger out and it affects everything else it seems!

It would have fought off all those plants taking nutrients away from them so with it gone there is more for everyone plus the addition rain, sun and feeding that indeed leads to a better level of photosynthesis. ;)
Y.N.W.A.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #964 on: July 26, 2019, 10:26:40 pm »
Conifers are a killer Roy mate. They absolutely zap every bit of moisture out of the ground so I'm not surprised plants thrived when you chopped it.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #965 on: July 27, 2019, 03:00:00 pm »
Conifers are a killer Roy mate. They absolutely zap every bit of moisture out of the ground so I'm not surprised plants thrived when you chopped it.

Yep they suck the life out of all around them.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #966 on: July 31, 2019, 06:36:14 am »
One of the random things that’s appeared is this. I’ve no idea what most things are but this one is a complete mystery. It’s shot up really tall. Little white pendulous flowers starting to appear...

Any ideas?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: August 1, 2019, 12:03:29 am »
Any ideas?

A posh Scottish bindweed?

Good to note how bad conifers are for moisture. Have always hated them so this makes sense.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #968 on: August 2, 2019, 06:01:55 pm »
Do bamboo have flowers?

Bamboo flowering is a peculiar phenomenon. Bamboos grow vegetatively for a species-specific period before flowering, seeding and dying. Most bamboo plants flower only once in their life cycle. ... There is something mysterious about bamboo flowering.

No idea Roy the flower is doing me, but thats interesting.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #969 on: August 6, 2019, 01:23:22 pm »
It's amazing how it's bulleted up into the sky. It's about 3 metres high by this stage, the thing. It is like bamboo an all. :)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #970 on: August 6, 2019, 01:48:44 pm »
It's amazing how it's bulleted up into the sky. It's about 3 metres high by this stage, the thing. It is like bamboo an all. :)

Is it in a shaded area or full sun?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #971 on: August 6, 2019, 11:25:48 pm »
Be very careful if it's bamboo. It can spread like a bitch (american accent).

Clawing thru our jungle. Blackberry canes 15ft high in there but have nearly reached an old damson tree in the corner which I think is ok. They don't like pruning but if they need one, now is the time thankfully. Some blackberry stems over an inch thick. Whole area including other gardens wild. Day off tomorrow so hoping I can get the kids to help me in the daytime like they helped (a bit) tonight. Tears with thorn pricks etc. Woman up girl!

I don't like anything that spreads out of control. Even creeping thyme. Tried for an age to get that going and finally did it the other year which I was very happy about (chopping it away from some areas but interested to see where it went in others) but the fucking thing gets covered by huge flies eating the nectar for a week or two. Fuck that. Scram! So won't mind taking a bit of it up later and sticking it somewhere else to see how it does there. If it dies? No flies.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2019, 12:31:34 am by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #972 on: August 7, 2019, 12:04:59 am »
They used to have creeping thyme as lawns in Victorian times so was intrigued. Liked the idea of walking on thyme and the smell etc. I wonder if Jacob Rees Mogg mentioned the flies in his book?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #973 on: August 8, 2019, 12:17:13 am »
Kids go to bed too late in the holidays. Means I don't get to have a smoke and enjoy the last hour or so of daylight in the garden alone and in the quiet. Really is the best hour of the day. Same 6-7 or 7-8am. Missing 10:15 ends tho.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: August 8, 2019, 12:28:16 am »
Have also designed a perfect gig venue. Can see a pair of 80 ft high stacks of speakers housed in solid concrete behind Sleep out there one night.

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #975 on: August 8, 2019, 05:09:54 am »
Garden is now probably at its best with all the red and green bananas with lush leaves. Cannas flowering, some of the ground cover just starting to fade.
Palm trees standing proud a couple over 12 ft in height.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #976 on: August 11, 2019, 07:00:19 am »
Have also designed a perfect gig venue. Can see a pair of 80 ft high stacks of speakers housed in solid concrete behind Sleep out there one night.

We had big speakers in the garden yesterday - it was weird seeing folk walking around and having a boogie in amongst it all.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #977 on: August 11, 2019, 07:01:58 am »
Is it in a shaded area or full sun?

Full sun but in amongst an apple tree mate. I’ll post another pic. I realised there’s more of it a few yards away in a clump.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: August 11, 2019, 10:51:29 am »
So it’s a “Leycesteria Formosa” (Himalayan Honeysuckle) it turns out. :)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #979 on: August 13, 2019, 07:35:21 pm »
So it’s a “Leycesteria Formosa” (Himalayan Honeysuckle) it turns out. :)

No way, thats a shocking pic, ;D I have it in my garden it is lovely.

Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #980 on: August 15, 2019, 12:01:09 am »
We had big speakers in the garden yesterday - it was weird seeing folk walking around and having a boogie in amongst it all.

Enjoyed hosting my daughters 6th birthday party in ours recently. Took a few weeks to make it safe but still. Makes a difference!

Getting diggers in soon. Lots of prep action for them. A million things to do it seems. I can do this.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #981 on: August 15, 2019, 12:08:14 am »
Enjoyed hosting my daughters 6th birthday party in ours recently. Took a few weeks to make it safe but still. Makes a difference!

Getting diggers in soon. Lots of prep action for them. A million things to do it seems. I can do this.

Cant beat a nice garden, enjoy.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: August 16, 2019, 08:47:49 am »
No way, thats a shocking pic, ;D I have it in my garden it is lovely.

Yeah that’s it - we have another clump of them it transpires. Sorry about the amateur photography ;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #983 on: August 18, 2019, 01:02:22 am »

Having a 6 year old means you sacrifice everything Rob. Prepare your garden for fun and isolate an area for a 16 foot trampoline. When she's 16 and fed up with it, it will take you a year to get the grass back to a prime condition. Joys.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #984 on: August 18, 2019, 06:58:23 pm »
Yeah that’s it - we have another clump of them it transpires. Sorry about the amateur photography ;D

Get you act together man ;D

Its a lovely plant though.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #985 on: August 18, 2019, 06:59:37 pm »
Having a 6 year old means you sacrifice everything Rob. Prepare your garden for fun and isolate an area for a 16 foot trampoline. When she's 16 and fed up with it, it will take you a year to get the grass back to a prime condition. Joys.

;D I'm having let sasy a disagrement with my wife on this exact topic, trampoline is still in my garden.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #986 on: August 21, 2019, 03:41:09 pm »
I'm laughing at the current 'plastic is the big evil' chat everywhere. Our garden's a sea of nerf bullets, basically. Our dog eats them. Presumably everything else that can eat them does too.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: August 21, 2019, 10:38:47 pm »

A year my arse. More like 5.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 07:53:40 am by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #988 on: August 22, 2019, 07:51:50 am »
Missing the 9/10 pm end of days.
I'm laughing at the current 'plastic is the big evil' chat everywhere. Our garden's a sea of nerf bullets, basically. Our dog eats them. Presumably everything else that can eat them does too.

My lawnmower likes them too.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #989 on: August 23, 2019, 10:39:43 pm »
Been told Coton Manor Gardens was profiled on tonights Gardeners World. Don't think that's happened before but I live an hours walk from there. Lovely garden with a special bluebells show in spring that I saw for the first time this year! Age. Was great tho. enjoy going there now. Their trained apple tree is a joy. Love to see fruit trees trained. Food? Food is shite.

edit: I do not want a Leicester and Chedder cheese baguette for 8 quid plus salad ta.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:51:30 pm by Filler. »

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #990 on: September 6, 2019, 07:58:03 pm »
Grass still flying out of the ground, sick of mowing it now.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #991 on: September 6, 2019, 11:35:19 pm »
Grass still flying out of the ground, sick of mowing it now.
Hopefully yet regrettably it may slow down now mate. It takes me 40 minutes to mow my back garden and in recent weeks with the rain and a bit of sun it's been growing like fuck.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #992 on: September 8, 2019, 12:31:52 am »
I love mowing my lawn. Probably prefer having finished mowing the lawn tbf but..

I have a battery powered mower so it's more like hoovering at times but I still try to pretend to myself I'm mowing with lovely dark green/light green stripes by going in straight lines. It can be the last exercise some people have doing the mowing. Was for my mother and possibly my neighbour who's given up on it god love him - heading into the 90's. Been mowing my mother in laws too this summer since her husband died... so it'll be a big change for me.

Mowed the garden before we went away a few days ago. Felt like an adult for the very first time aged 48.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #993 on: September 8, 2019, 03:53:45 pm »
Hopefully yet regrettably it may slow down now mate. It takes me 40 minutes to mow my back garden and in recent weeks with the rain and a bit of sun it's been growing like fuck.

Garden, more like a field, 40 minutes! Same here acros the river from you warm and wet weather helps grass grow quite quickly.
Y.N.W.A.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #994 on: September 8, 2019, 06:35:46 pm »
We got around the kids wrecking the lawn issue by getting artificial grass, one of the best decisions we have ever made. Lad will play footy in the rain and not a drop of mud gets brought into the house.

Anyway, when my wife bought this house in 2006, there was this really scrawny, very small, pathetic looking Acer at the side of the house - I'm not a gardener but recognised it as my Mum had one. When I moved in, she wanted me to get rid, but I said no and replanted it in a corner at the bottom of the garden. 12 years later it is now about 9ft tall and about 10ft wide and hanging over the fences.

Any advice on when is best for me to cut it back and how to go about it? Thanks.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #995 on: September 8, 2019, 07:58:40 pm »
Garden, more like a field, 40 minutes! Same here acros the river from you warm and wet weather helps grass grow quite quickly.

You mowed your lawn yet Sarge?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #996 on: September 8, 2019, 11:40:31 pm »

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #997 on: September 25, 2019, 07:23:25 pm »
You mowed your lawn yet Sarge?

No missus does.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #998 on: September 25, 2019, 07:27:07 pm »
We got around the kids wrecking the lawn issue by getting artificial grass, one of the best decisions we have ever made. Lad will play footy in the rain and not a drop of mud gets brought into the house.

Anyway, when my wife bought this house in 2006, there was this really scrawny, very small, pathetic looking Acer at the side of the house - I'm not a gardener but recognised it as my Mum had one. When I moved in, she wanted me to get rid, but I said no and replanted it in a corner at the bottom of the garden. 12 years later it is now about 9ft tall and about 10ft wide and hanging over the fences.

Any advice on when is best for me to cut it back and how to go about it? Thanks.

The Acers will respond very well to pruning but prune whilst the tree is dormant, so December to February would be an ideal time of year. Look deep inside the braches more near the centre of the tree and any dead ones cut them off too. Make sure to prune back to a bud cutting just above the bud. If you leave any excess wood above the bud, the dieback could become diseased.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #999 on: November 24, 2019, 11:05:21 am »