Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 175924 times)

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #560 on: January 11, 2018, 08:10:36 am »
Right, so we've been given an oregano and a parsley plant by a friend. We have no garden and have no experience dealing with these. Any tips/link that could be useful? Ta!

Eat.

...put on the window sill and water once a week. Or when the soil feels dry or when the plant looks thirsty. Cut off what you need for food.

If you can't be arsed with it, chop it all off near the soil, tie into little 'flower bouquets' and hang over a radiator to dry. Then use  like dried herbs.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #561 on: January 11, 2018, 09:02:08 am »
Eat.

...put on the window sill and water once a week. Or when the soil feels dry or when the plant looks thirsty. Cut off what you need for food.

If you can't be arsed with it, chop it all off near the soil, tie into little 'flower bouquets' and hang over a radiator to dry. Then use  like dried herbs.

Thanks! :D

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: January 12, 2018, 07:37:30 pm »
Really trying to do an hour a day EVERY day this year. Failing, but that's the idea.
What's there to do presently mate? Besides the remainder of leafs.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: January 13, 2018, 10:14:17 pm »
What's there to do presently mate? Besides the remainder of leafs.

It's a big long garden, and I have alot to do. It's 45x12m. Half of it is OK-ish - bumpy grass flanked by beds of nettles and brambles... the other half is in a state of 'WTF!'. I'll try and post a pic sometime.

The previous owners kept a very nice garden, but we didn't live there for a year and a half after we 'moved in' while I did the house up, and I've only been able to fight back in short bursts. Some of the brambles at the back are nearly 2" thick. There are dozens of massive logs from a felled tree here there and everywhere, mounds of earth and bricks, one mound is 2x4x3m. It slopes up from the house and slopes down from left to right. The furthest half used to be an allotment area.

Down the right hand side are berry bushes... raspberry/straw/blackcurrent and gooseberry, and I've weeded and cleared ivy and brambles and nettles and pruned them all back this last week or so. Now I'm attacking the hellish area.

For weeks now, I've been redesigning the garden + garage + a studio + a side alley which will all become linked and roofed.

We inherited a 6'x4' greenhouse which has been great to have, but I want a 4x3.6m greenhouse, plus a pizza oven and an 'outdoor kitchen' - basically a 4x 0.8m worksurface/bbq which will double as an outdoor router table/table saw. The hellish area will be a perfectly flat football/short tennis/badminton court with goalposts made out of apple trees which will be trained across the garden dividing the end off 'behind the goal' - an area of 7x12m which the kids will 'control'. Or chickens perhaps, and looking far off into the future... I'm very interested in keeping bees.

There will be climbing roses, mulberry bushes, and berries of all kinds, compost heaps and mulch cages. There will be aparagus/grapes/tomatoes/aubergines/squashes. A huge pergola over the kitchen area. I want it to attract wildlife too, so I read up on my butterfly/bee friendly plants.

I have nearly filled a sketchbook with ideas, plans and designs, and made many drawings on graph paper and I'm building a scale model. I need to do this because it will have to be done in stages. My main task now tho, is clearing and pruning and preparing and measuring and remeasuring and reading and drawing.

Had 4 hours today loading crap onto a big van to the tip. I could fill 6 skips and it wouldn't kiss the top of it !  :'( ;D

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:21:09 pm by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: January 13, 2018, 10:35:01 pm »
Am hoping this works. The right hand side is where the berries are. Eventually they will all be moved. This is the perfectly flat football pitch...

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: January 13, 2018, 10:39:59 pm »
Make it a mini golf course, and leave everything in place. Or a BMX track. ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: January 13, 2018, 11:44:31 pm »
It would be a deathtrap as a BMX track ;D ... I have wondered about a putting green with a strict shoot to kill policy about it - 4x3m or something, but that's way into the future. Love the mini-golf idea tho! Got to include one in the kids area (Kop End). I was thinking of building a mound behind the goal, boarded off into a rectangular shape, so a daft mini golf hole could be incorporated. Oh yes...  :thumbup

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: January 15, 2018, 08:45:57 pm »
I could fill 6 skips and it wouldn't kiss the top of it !  :'( ;D

;D

Looks nuts mate, take care of yer back amongst all that.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:48:13 pm by John C »

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #568 on: January 16, 2018, 08:31:33 pm »
Love that blank canvass Filler, serious garden!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: January 17, 2018, 01:42:34 am »
Hopefully in September I'll have a digger in the garden for a week or so to do all the big shit - there's no way I could do it with a spade - just clearing the 'berry beds' which I've sort of finished now is hard enough. I just want to give it a good clear up for the summer, so hopefully it won't put TOO much strain on my back!

It's going to take years just to give the whole thing some foundation or framework - and then hopefuly it can kind of look after itself (tho with constant work of course).

When we bought the house, it was a lovely garden, tho it did require a lot of TLC. The previous owners were always in the garden apparantly, but the husband died some years ago now and it became a bit much for her. The house tho was a deathtrap, but the pay off for me, was this garden. Long story, but we had a 4 year old and a 1 year old at the time - and I really didn't want to live in another building site like we had to do for 15+ years in our other house, but weighing everything up - this garden won.

Now that they're older, I've realised more than ever how important it is for me to sort this place out for them. I want them to come home and get out in the garden, instead of coming home, throwing their coats on the floor and looking for a computer. Drives me nuts.

That pic above used to be the allotment area - it was HUGE! It's grassed over naturally now after it became overrun with weeds, but that's going to be the football pitch. One of his good mates lives over the road and he has a small garden with goalposts but is obsessed with football - and I know he'd be over after school as much as he could to play footy with my son who loves a kickabout too, but his mate is obsessed and is driving his dad insane ;D They could kick a ball up there in perfect safety as much as they like, so that'll be two sets of happy parents. Then they can come round for pizza cooked in my beautiful pizza oven made from bricks we've either knocked down ourselves or taken from the pighut (which was smashed by a tree 'surgeon'), fired by a massive pile of sodden rotting wood you can see in the pic or by the ex-tree - with toppings collected from my Roma tomatoes, basil, asparagus, mushroom and artichoke etc growing in the garden.

Then at about 8 when everything starts to go into meltdown, fuck off home and leave a few of us to have some proper homegrown - a gin, wine made from my own grapes and maybe somehome grown weed if anyone fancies it.

This is a far off dream, but it goes something like that. I've got to start redoing the fences too. One side is all 3ft tall - a height I like. Can't stand high fences. One of the ideas I have is to grow berries mainly down the sides of the garden - that idea may extend to ALL fruits and veg - but I like the idea of neighbours helping themselves too - plus they are a damn sight more interesting than this fucking hedge on the other side with 3" thorns. Jesus fucking christ who planted this fucking thing? The war ended in 1945 you stupid c*nt! I also like the idea that a say 4x1m strip of raspberries would only be 6 foot tall, and therefore acting as a hedge (screen), for only a few months till it gets chopped back to the ground each year, so you can enjoy a time of privacy occassionally, but you're not clocking off from people which is what 6ft fence panels are all about.

Fences down the left are going to be a foot tall (staggered probably as up a slight slope), made from decking somebody was throwing out in a skip - I'll never be able to stop looking in skips - I'm like the two characters in Windowlicker when it comes to skips. On my side it'll be a raised border - but need to post it all first. Shit me. Raised is key though, as with only a 120cm depth of strip, you'll struggle competition wise with grass, and I'm already pushing it. You could get two lines of spuds in tho. I think.

I'm on the look out for more skips of decking which I'm hoping to see this spring. The plan is to scorch the decking (and all other wood) with a blow torch till its charred black, then rubbed down, sanded a bit then oiled. It's an ancient Japanese method of preserving wood. Looks good too. It's not going to last 1,000+ years like it has done in Japan, but it'll look good and it'll be fun to do.

I've spent most evenings these last few months designing it. This is a night off. Up the Reds.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: February 28, 2018, 10:03:48 am »
Sowed a bunch of seeds over the last week or so in trays/pots etc and left a few in the greenhouse. Was a bit worried last night that they'd freeze in there, so laid a few towels over them which did no good at all it seems as they're frozen solid. Not very solid, but solid enough to go 'Oh bugger'.

Are they dead?

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: February 28, 2018, 11:55:26 am »
Sowed a bunch of seeds over the last week or so in trays/pots etc and left a few in the greenhouse. Was a bit worried last night that they'd freeze in there, so laid a few towels over them which did no good at all it seems as they're frozen solid. Not very solid, but solid enough to go 'Oh bugger'.

Are they dead?

Depends what it is? I'd think as long as they haven't started sprouting yet, they'll be ok. It freezes in most places every winter, seeds do fine, plants not always.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: February 28, 2018, 12:43:47 pm »
Cucumber, dill, parsley, sweet pea, coccineus, chives, sweet pepper, cerinthe major purpescens, marigold, hops, artichoke, echinacea and others. Soil back to normal in there now.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: March 17, 2018, 12:31:13 am »
One or two poking up. Bit miffed that a load of seeds I bought last year haven't come up this. Need to look into that.

Interesting to see Gardeners World do a little focus on the dogwoods. Came across these some while back and jotted them down. Beautiful bright coloured sticks blazing out of the winter gloom. I've a list of plants I want, and came across a dogwood in a gardening centre - corneus sanguirea or 'Midwinter Fire' and it was about £20. I was just going to plant loads of them everywhere but may need to find seeds instead.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #574 on: March 17, 2018, 12:42:05 am »
Any hints or tips on the best insulation for a loft and how do people maximise their extraction fan usage?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: March 17, 2018, 01:09:50 am »
Do it the easy way. Get a greenhouse ;)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: March 17, 2018, 02:14:04 am »
and for a bonus point, who's been tampering with my userwhatsit thingy? <

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:41:31 am by Filler. »

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: March 17, 2018, 09:08:05 pm »
Any hints or tips on the best insulation for a loft and how do people maximise their extraction fan usage?
The loft insulation thread is >>>>>>>> that way Chops mate.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: March 17, 2018, 09:11:10 pm »
Rob mate, I struggle to worry about your pots and plants, every time you post that nightmare garden image hits me.

Please post a pic when its tidied up, I'll be relieved.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: March 18, 2018, 12:10:30 am »
Rob mate, I struggle to worry about your pots and plants, every time you post that nightmare garden image hits me.

Please post a pic when its tidied up, I'll be relieved.

I will. We may both be dead tho. We ALL might be dead let's face it. Everywhere I drive I see diggers. I point them out to the kids now 'Oh, just look at that beauty'. It's looking a little better, but the last month has been pretty bad so I'll be late for my new raspberry patch which I'm a bit upset about. And my two asparagus patches. And planting the trees. And well... everything! ;D

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #580 on: March 18, 2018, 01:44:52 pm »
The lighting is critical and black out any windows to avoid curious visitors.
Of course Filler is correct saying a greenhouse is easier.
I think you are in the correct thread.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #581 on: March 19, 2018, 10:45:04 am »
Got this to deal with in the coming months and I don’t have a clue where to start. Thought it would be great having a nice sized garden when we bought the place back in September but now getting around to sorting it realise there is a lot to do!

<a href="https://thumbsnap.com/agSKGBOz" title="Image Hosted by ThumbSnap">Free Photo Sharing by ThumbSnap[/url]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:58:57 am by L8Craig »

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #582 on: March 19, 2018, 07:52:35 pm »
Savage garden that, so so much you can do with it but all depends on what exactly it is you want from it?
Y.N.W.A.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: March 19, 2018, 07:59:06 pm »
Get lawn on it all Craig mate, great for a kick about with a ball then :)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: March 19, 2018, 10:09:39 pm »
Two new trees a goal width apart there (or 3m apart for a garden). Could possibly work in a first and second slip, gully and forward short leg with some colourful shrubbery too. Short tennis court? The shaded area I like tho too. World's your oyster there. Westerly facing? How much sun do you reckon you'll get when winter passes sometime in June? Have any plans for it?

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: March 21, 2018, 02:56:50 pm »
Savage garden that, so so much you can do with it but all depends on what exactly it is you want from it?
I think I am going to have the majority of it grass with a decking area at the top. Border on one side of the garden where plants can grow to add some colour to the garden.
Only problem is funds at the moment. It costs nothing to tidy up which is the plan right now and to paint the fences to brighten it up a touch. Sadly I won't be able to put a lot of time and enegy into it as I have a Labrador who wees anywhere so I could imagine bright green patches on a perfectly manicure lawn which would annoy me! Sad but it'll be his space mainly to chill.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: March 21, 2018, 02:57:18 pm »
Get lawn on it all Craig mate, great for a kick about with a ball then :)
Already bought a samba goal  ;D

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: March 21, 2018, 03:00:40 pm »
Two new trees a goal width apart there (or 3m apart for a garden). Could possibly work in a first and second slip, gully and forward short leg with some colourful shrubbery too. Short tennis court? The shaded area I like tho too. World's your oyster there. Westerly facing? How much sun do you reckon you'll get when winter passes sometime in June? Have any plans for it?
Sadly it faces the north east. South facing was one of my ticks on the check list when we bought it last year but we kind of in a rush to buy a house. If I hadn't have got out the mother in laws I would have cracked up and didn't want to rent, so in the end the position of where the garden faced succumbed to the rest of the must haves  :)

I'm unsure how much sun it will get but the bottom of the garden has had quite a lot of sun today and the right hand side gets a lot when the sun is positioned in the morning - midday.
Unsure how high the sun gets in the summer. Maybe will rise above the house to shine on the whole of the garden?

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: March 21, 2018, 07:42:56 pm »
Great stuff mate, essential. Fucking hell did me & my lad get our monies worth out of ours.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #589 on: March 21, 2018, 09:50:01 pm »
I think I am going to have the majority of it grass with a decking area at the top. Border on one side of the garden where plants can grow to add some colour to the garden.
Only problem is funds at the moment. It costs nothing to tidy up which is the plan right now and to paint the fences to brighten it up a touch. Sadly I won't be able to put a lot of time and enegy into it as I have a Labrador who wees anywhere so I could imagine bright green patches on a perfectly manicure lawn which would annoy me! Sad but it'll be his space mainly to chill.

Packets of seed and grow yourt own plants mate, 50 quid for a little platic green house and a few packs will do it, oh and compost.
Y.N.W.A.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: March 21, 2018, 10:16:49 pm »

Re the puppy - if a dog that enjoys tear arsing around the garden etc can’t recommend a decent Astro turf enough

Looks good all year and dog friendly- no muddy paw prints in winter - easy to pick up the shit, hose it down etc

Best thing I ever did

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: March 22, 2018, 12:08:29 am »

Plant some trees behind the posts. Am very passionate about naturally grown sporting arenas.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: March 22, 2018, 12:36:46 am »

Leave the fences! Don't waste your time they're absolutely fine as they are! Why 'decorate' a fence? It's not a house - it's a garden! STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT! Is a rose going to look better against the fences as they are now, or is a rose going to look better against a backdrop of Royal Oak or whatever the fuck? Some plastic coated sheen. Ugh. Leave it alone.

Don't do decking either. Just rearrange what you've got.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: March 22, 2018, 01:04:39 am »
Is the right hand side solid concrete and the path made up from removable slabs?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: March 23, 2018, 06:55:46 pm »
Was thinking today Craig (and forgive my earlier attempt at humour with my paint rant - occassionally I like to wear a hat with 'loon' writ large on the front. Occassionally.) that a raised bed either side might be a good idea. Doesn't have to be big or that far away from the fence, but big enough to protect plants plus strong enough to play one-two's off it. You could train plants up and across the fence etc.

If you (or anyone) want(s) an 8" twig of a blackcurrent bush I can send one on. I pruned mine back some weeks back and stuck 16 cuttings into a pot and they've all started growing again. Didn't really have any idea what to do with them but just stuck them into mud nonetheless. I live opposite a post box and can pinch a few stamps from the office so it would be no trouble at all. Not sure if they'd produce fruit this year but should next year.

Was also thinking more about decking. I reckon decking is deserving of its own thread. Alan Titchmarsh is mainly to blame for it - and it was hugely popular in the 90's. It solved many problems - it looked nice, it felt nice and it had a warmth to it. The problem tho... is that it's a death trap. I don't think you can install decking if you don't have continuous sunlight and a decent amount of wind flowing over it, so I'd be concerned here.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: March 23, 2018, 07:24:53 pm »
Was thinking today Craig (and forgive my earlier attempt at humour with my paint rant -
;D  I started writing a reply that Craig may see his fences as an eye-sore and it would give him pleasure to be outdoors if they were improved. But I deleted it.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: March 23, 2018, 07:48:17 pm »
;D  I started writing a reply that Craig may see his fences as an eye-sore and it would give him pleasure to be outdoors if they were improved. But I deleted it.

Ha! ;D Should have still posted it John! We've all got different ideas and there's no one idea better than another really. Part of the joy (or pain) of it. But to me, those fences are lovely. Solid, no holes, and have been weathered enough to almost recede into the background. If you make an accent of them through paint, you bring them closer together and therefore might make the garden feel less open and there's a lovely width to it. Depends on the colour I guess, tho having a job for a while that included throwing out 1000's of litres of all kinds of fence paint - I reckon you'd struggle to find a good one! I'm mentally scarred I think.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #597 on: April 2, 2018, 01:22:57 pm »
Was hoping to get the garden sorted this weekend but its rained, rain some more and its still fucking raining.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: April 2, 2018, 04:08:28 pm »
I've bought some seed potatoes and a big box of fish blood and bone.

I dug the soil over just roughly last week and as soon as it stops raining / snowing I'll go out and rake in some fish blood and bone then put the potatoes in.

It's my 1st time so hopefully it turns out okay    ;D

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: April 2, 2018, 04:09:41 pm »
Oops, I say seed potatoes, I think they are called tubers.

I'm sure Percy Thrower will come along and keep me right    :P