Author Topic: Alan Hansen  (Read 10415 times)

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
Alan Hansen
« on: July 23, 2020, 10:31:04 pm »
I was just thinking about him today. I haven't seen anything from him on us winning 19. I hope he's OK. I'd love to have heard his thoughts about things.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Alan Hansen
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 07:37:51 am »
There was a show on BBC recently about him. Haven't seen it yet.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 07:54:42 am »
I think he's retired.  No idea what happened with him though.
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 08:27:14 am »
He retired from MOD a couple of years ago and has avoided any punditrying since.

Barnes and Souness seem to be the go to guys from that generation for TV work but, as he lives locally, does seem a bit strange as the last captain to win it he's not made any comment.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 08:45:34 am »
Used to be one of my favourite players and thought he was a definite for future manager but after watching a BBC the documentary Player and Pundit I lost a bit of my love for him.

Firstly, he wanted to be a golfer and sort of fell into football but without any 'real' love for the game.

Secondly, he also came across as a selfish man who only wanted to do things his way.

Thirdly, his comments about Heysel (quote) I go onto the pitch and i don't know how many were dead at the time but you're only focussed on one thing - the game sounded so cold that it made me think of him differently. (Check the documentaries Player and Pundit and Heysel)

Yeh I know, I wasn't there and I wasn't playing and I know that afterwards he was horrified by the whole event and he HAD to play to save there from being any more 'trouble' but those words just echoed his apparent selfishness throughout the documentary.

Now I don't hate the guy not of course and what a player and what a legend for our club but his silence at the moment doesn't surprise me at all.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 09:14:13 am »
Wasn’t his retirement due to the anxiety of going on telly every week.  Remember there being something about him spending days worrying about going on and sounded like he got to the point where he decided it was no longer worth it.

If he was nervous about appearing on the telly every week when he was used to it I can fully imagine he’d dread the idea of going on after several years of not appearing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:15:45 am by Kekule »

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 09:30:38 am »
Used to be one of my favourite players and thought he was a definite for future manager but after watching a BBC the documentary Player and Pundit I lost a bit of my love for him.

Firstly, he wanted to be a golfer and sort of fell into football but without any 'real' love for the game.

Secondly, he also came across as a selfish man who only wanted to do things his way.

Thirdly, his comments about Heysel (quote) I go onto the pitch and i don't know how many were dead at the time but you're only focussed on one thing - the game sounded so cold that it made me think of him differently. (Check the documentaries Player and Pundit and Heysel)

Yeh I know, I wasn't there and I wasn't playing and I know that afterwards he was horrified by the whole event and he HAD to play to save there from being any more 'trouble' but those words just echoed his apparent selfishness throughout the documentary.

Now I don't hate the guy not of course and what a player and what a legend for our club but his silence at the moment doesn't surprise me at all.

Haven’t watched the BBC programme, but am surprised by that assessment of him. Never thought of him like that or noticed any sign of selfishness in previous work or interviews, although top sportspeople can often come across that way due to the drive and ambition needed to put them where they are.

In terms of him not commenting yet. I got the impression when he retired he wanted an absolute break from it all and wanted to focus on family and not be available for tv etc in future. I suspect he probably feels it’s not his job to comment anymore and that no one would be that interested in what he has to say and that the likes of Kenny and Graeme etc would cover anything hd might wish to say. I’d be surprised if he was anything but pleased for the team/club. Just doesn’t feel the need to comment or believe anyone needs to know his thoughts on it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:32:19 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 09:46:11 am »
As the most legendary centreback in Liverpool history. I am sure he would be pleased to see that Liverpool have such good defenders now headed by the world's best CB Van Dyk.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 09:47:16 am »
I find the comments above peculiar. Hansen is a warm fella with far more humanity about him than the vast majority of his peers at that time. That's my view though - everyone's entitled to their own view. :)

Am I wrong in thinking he attends games with Kenny from time to time?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 09:48:52 am »
We have a thread one below this called "Praise on social media". That's what we value these days. But it's inherently a load of hot air. Hansen will still spend time with folk involved at the club and he'll quietly convey how happy he is, you can bet your bile duct on it.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 09:49:26 am »
Yeah he still goes to games, saw him at the Atletico match.
AHA!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 10:57:56 am »
I find the comments above peculiar. Hansen is a warm fella with far more humanity about him than the vast majority of his peers at that time. That's my view though - everyone's entitled to their own view. :)

Am I wrong in thinking he attends games with Kenny from time to time?

Could be my fault as I watched that documentary with Hansen up there just behind Kenny so maybe I'd put him on a lofty pedestal and wanted to see/hear something different?

Maybe I should watch it again.

But he it's all his own words.

Doesn't make him a nasty man or a bad person - just a more selfish person than I'd expected to see.

I will watch it again this weekend.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 11:18:26 am »
Could be my fault as I watched that documentary with Hansen up there just behind Kenny so maybe I'd put him on a lofty pedestal and wanted to see/hear something different?

Doesn't make him a nasty man or a bad person - just a more selfish person than I'd expected to see.

Reading what he said, I can't see anything wrong with it.

He didn't know about the enormity of what had happened and was instructed to go out there.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 11:35:45 am »
We have no right to expect any former players to have to jump through the hoops of social media. It is like a bully in how it expects to be the centre of attention and to be able to have peoples lives at its beck and call to provide "content". I chose to not use twitter when it started up, and I bet I have saved hundreds if not thousands of hours of my life from pointlessly reading poisonous bullshit written by emptyheads, based on what I see quoted on here. I've had different values and interests in the past, and I pay no heed to current developments in a few of those spheres, just like he is entitled to.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 11:41:52 am »
Maybe he just misspoke? Trying to explain that he doesn't know the full enormity of it all, but he's been told to get out and play so he's trying to concentrate on the job at hand?

I had no idea about his television anxiety though. I was always under the impression the BBC dropped him when they had that big MotD shakeup several years ago; I figured it was because he was too even handed, knowledgeable, professional, and not controversial enough (whereas Lineker has clearly embraced being a mini-troll).

I remember when Everton won the FA Cup (lol) and Lineker says, "So, Alan. United unlucky?" And without hesitation, Hansen replied: "No. The best team won."

You just wouldn't get that now. Yeah you can argue he'd root for Everton over the mancs any day, but you could tell he was just being honest. Compare it to Hoddle last year in the CL final.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 11:46:04 am »

You might be right mate - quite often people look back on events like that and need to heal off the back of them cos they can’t compute why they were the way they were. Who knows eh? It did sound awful the way the players were handled at Heysel that night.

Anyway - who knows - he just always came across to me as someone who was reserved by nature but capable of being great at anything he turned his hand to (punditry included). I think he wants to play golf and watch football and drink in his life now though.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 11:47:39 am »
There is a picture of him from June in the article below. He is looking quite old now and like he could do without the aggravation of being in the public eye, hopefully he is in good health.

https://www.champnews.com/story.asp?id=GN4_ART_1683455
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 11:53:54 am »
Still lives in Hillside and spends a lot of time with Kenny playing golf.  Clearly has no inclination to draw attention to himself by giving his opinion out in the media ... but I am sure he will be loving every minute of it.  We saw him every week for a long time and he never came across as anything but a top red and a top fella. I am sure Liverpool would love to have him as one of the club ambassadors but he is enjoying his retirement and fair play to him.

Offline "Bobber" Thanks :)

• But Hicks Is Still A Wanker
  • Kopite
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 08:21:38 pm »
I didn’t know about this documentary, it was made in 2014 when he retired, so I watched it today. I think you can see from his comments in the documentary about if he missed football when he retired and whether he would miss being a pundit and on both fronts he clearly says absolutely not. This for me explains why he has kept a low profile ever since and even now after winning 19.

He comes across as a really classy guy. His wife is stunning!

Offline vladis voice

• Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 09:14:01 pm »
Me and Mrs Vladi went to the Arsenal league cup game in the directors box/lounge thing (her boss has a table in there) and ended up sat next to Jocky and his dad during the game, he was really quiet, really caring towards his dad (it was a really cold evening) and just lovely company in between all the goals flying in.....was also flabbergasted at how much Arsenal had paid for Tierney, but maybe not as flabbergasted as Mr Hansen senior...I could hardly speak in the presence of greatness (Kenny was on the table behind us in the lounge too)

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 09:35:05 pm »
My favourite story about Jockey is his wind up when Joe retired.

He came in and told all the players that he was the new manager. He told the lads things were going to change, he knew where they all went for a drink, and he had already spoken to the landlords, and they would no longer be served.

Then Kenny walks in and told them it was all a wind up.

We probably won the double in 86 just based on the fact that Jockey wasn't the new manager.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 09:42:45 pm »
Living the best life, spent his working days being the best player and winning it all and now he gets to enjoy retirement in peace watching the current lads do his club proud, I don’t blame him for not wanting to be in the public eye, that would suck

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 09:47:15 pm »
When He was on MOTD I'd always to watch the analysis because he was one of the best pundits around. Since he's left unless Ian Wright is on there who's boss I fast forward the analysis straight away.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 10:14:32 pm »
He lives right near Kenny, its either next door or the house opposite, can never remember which and probably spends his days on Royal Birkdale, him and Kenny were always playing golf together,
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 10:20:32 pm »
There is a picture of him from June in the article below. He is looking quite old now and like he could do without the aggravation of being in the public eye, hopefully he is in good health.

https://www.champnews.com/story.asp?id=GN4_ART_1683455

thanks mate

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2020, 10:21:59 pm »
Still lives in Hillside and spends a lot of time with Kenny playing golf.  Clearly has no inclination to draw attention to himself by giving his opinion out in the media ... but I am sure he will be loving every minute of it.  We saw him every week for a long time and he never came across as anything but a top red and a top fella. I am sure Liverpool would love to have him as one of the club ambassadors but he is enjoying his retirement and fair play to him.

thanks. I have a lot of affection for him, he was part of the team of my earliest memories. Glad to hear he is doing well and enjoying retirement

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2020, 10:35:55 pm »
Had the pleasure to meet him on several occasions both while he was playing and retired.  Every time he was warm and friendly.

Best one was coming out of a restaurant in town with then girlfriend and Hansen and Souness plus wives were sat there waiting for their table.  I was just about to say hello when Alan goes “did you enjoy your meal?”.  Of course positive reply’s and a little small talk afterward, and chat about the game earlier, before wishing them an equally good evening.

Gets outside and I am buzzin. She goes what’s the deal?  That’s why we were never to be.........
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2020, 11:20:46 pm »
He lives right near Kenny, its either next door or the house opposite, can never remember which and probably spends his days on Royal Birkdale, him and Kenny were always playing golf together,

Seen him a fair few times at Hillside (with Kenny), but never at Birkdale. 

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall a story that they were refused membership at Birkdale back in the day (didn't want football players as members)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2020, 11:22:07 pm »

Round the corner from each other.  Think lawrenson may live in same area.

Online kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2020, 11:33:06 pm »

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall a story that they were refused membership at Birkdale back in the day (didn't want football players as members)

Pretty sure Kenny at least plays Birkdale today. Chap I know on staff at Everton has craic with him there from time-to-time.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline devlin_adl

• Main Stander
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2020, 11:35:21 pm »
Mark Lawrencen mentions Hansen in an episode of The Football Show on OTB podcast yesterday. Says that he, Al and Kenny all live in the same area and that he sees Al on a regular basis.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2020, 11:41:14 pm »

He was defo refused into Birkdale when he first tried to join so was Hillside for years, not sure whether he got in eventually but imagine over time they’ve welcomed him with open arms now the culture has been modernised abit.

In terms of Hansen, I was with Blackburn academy until I just turned 16, and I remember a coach constantly mentioning about how he played the game and as a perfect model for a deep lying midfielder.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2020, 11:44:25 pm »
In terms of his media career there was a bit of a storm about him talking about 'coloured' players on MOTD a couple of years before he left the BBC. I think that may have had a lot to do with his eventual departure (whether that decision was made by him or by the BBC).

In terms of what he said about Heysel I can't see what is wrong about what he is quoted as having said - on the face of it he is saying that he didn't know that so many people had died and so went out and did his job. The follow-up question would be what he would have done had he known the full scale of the disaster but unless there are additional quotes that I've not seen that question wasn't asked.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2020, 12:26:35 am »
Hansen lives on Waterloo Road, Birkdale. Kenny is around the corner on Selworthy.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2020, 12:37:52 am »
I don't think the players from both sides at Heysel were fully 'in the picture' as it were about what was going on, some of the players may have been aware/aware of the rumours.

They were told to play the game to prevent things getting worse, that in itself may have indicated to the players it was not as bad as things turned out, the fact the game itself was a very competitive is another indication.

Alan Hansen is a legend, that defence over about 7-8 years from late 70's to mid-80's of Neal, Lawrenson/Thompson, Hansen, Kennedy was our best ever.

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2020, 04:16:38 am »
He and Kenny are both members at Hillside and are always there. They vouched for Stevie and were still unable to get him in.  Apparently the thinking was Stevie has too many scally mates. Imagine giving Stevie the knock back?? The cheeky arl gets. ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:41:07 am by Redbonnie »

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2020, 04:24:12 am »
Just to clarify Stussy I meant we all saw him every week on match of the day. I don’t know him personally. I do know people at Hillside though and he is still a very active member.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2020, 04:54:56 am »
He and Kenny are both members at Hillside and are always there. They vouched for Stevie and we’re still unable to get him in.  Apparently the thinking was Stevie has too many scally mates. Imagine giving Stevie the knock back?? The cheeky arl gets. ;D

Ha ha  ;D

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2020, 09:29:02 am »
I remember sometime in the 90s having lunch in an Italian restaurant in Southport and Jocky and his family came in.
I was telling my two young boys who were 6 and nine at the time all about the ultra talented Jocky Hansen, all the time I was wanting to go over and ask for his autograph, but not having the bottle.
I asked my eldest boy Chris to go over which he did and Jocky then called my youngest over and I went too, he was a pure delight and gave both boys signed napkins.
Alas no mobile phones with cameras in those days.
But what a top bloke he was
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2020, 09:38:22 am »
Funny, I had this recorded from the other week and got around to watching it on Thursday. I thought it was a great watch and was pissed that I never saw it 6 years ago! The banter between him, Kenny and Graeme was fantastic.

The comments on Heysel were fine - he said he just concentrated on the game like any professional would. The proof that it did affect the players was shown in the performances that day.

I saw that recent pic and I was also worried for his health, obviously he has tried to keep things private. I'm sure he would've been at the matches had he been allowed.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:43:03 am by Mighty_Red »
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...