Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5738140 times)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Artettacking Front Four?
« Reply #56800 on: October 22, 2020, 07:50:40 pm »
Sokratis is on near £90k/wk. Not in their PL squad

What a club
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56801 on: October 22, 2020, 08:15:44 pm »
Ozil was totally right about China's disgraceful treatment against Uighur Turks but the hypocrite creep won't say a word about Erdogan.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56802 on: October 22, 2020, 08:34:25 pm »
I'm sure they'll end up winning but the slow realization that Arsenal are boring as fuck sweeping across twitter is wonderful to see

A step up from being Banter FC....

Cant wait to see Ozil streaming a Arsenal FC match day show from his bedroom this season.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #56803 on: October 22, 2020, 08:40:57 pm »
I'm sure they'll end up winning but the slow realization that Arsenal are boring as fuck sweeping across twitter is wonderful to see

He needs to start to get some attacking combinations going now. Have the full backs be more aggressive as well. We've strengthened the defensive spine with Gabriel & Partey now, so lack of personnel in that area is no longer an excuse. He needs to find something that becomes more smooth going forward.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:51:52 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #56804 on: October 22, 2020, 08:45:59 pm »
Ozil was totally right about China's disgraceful treatment against Uighur Turks but the hypocrite creep won't say a word about Erdogan.
Choose your words carefully, that's his president you are talking about...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #56805 on: October 22, 2020, 08:53:42 pm »
He needs to start to get some attacking combinations going now. Have the full backs be more aggressive as well. We've strengthened the defensive spine with Gabriel & Partey now, he needs to find something that becomes more smooth going forward.

Well since Arteta has never managed before you have no idea if he can even do that.  It's more likely that boring, stale possession is his ideal based on the actual games you've played.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56806 on: October 22, 2020, 09:44:01 pm »
Well since Arteta has never managed before you have no idea if he can even do that.  It's more likely that boring, stale possession is his ideal based on the actual games you've played.

That's very true. However, I don't think lack of creativity is anyone's ideal. The problem he faced is that structurally we were all over the place, so it's no surprise he went to sort that. Problem is we now look a bit too set we've lost a bit creative freedom. It's a balance that the like of Chelsea need to try & find as well.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56807 on: October 22, 2020, 10:12:51 pm »
Aubameyang playing on the left to accomdate worse players is still odd. Just having him closer to goal covers for the lack of creativity sometimes

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56808 on: October 22, 2020, 10:22:03 pm »
Aubameyang playing on the left to accomdate worse players is still odd. Just having him closer to goal covers for the lack of creativity sometimes

I'd certainly want to see him through the middle a bit more. You'd say he's more a finisher than a creator, you'd say the same for Lacazette, & I'm not actually sure what Pepe is to be honest with you, so the balance is still not right up front.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56809 on: October 22, 2020, 10:30:22 pm »
I'd certainly want to see him through the middle a bit more. You'd say he's more a finisher than a creator, you'd say the same for Lacazette, & I'm not actually sure what Pepe is to be honest with you, so the balance is still not right up front.
Does Arteta not think Saka is enough of a goal threat to play in the front 3? Him left and then Willian/Pepe on the right of Aubameyang would seem the best use of what you've got at the moment.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56810 on: October 22, 2020, 10:53:52 pm »
Lacking creativity, but plenty of encouraging signs. Im sure we ll try to go for Aouar again once Ozil is off the books.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #56811 on: October 23, 2020, 08:32:50 am »
Maybe see if there’s any other staff you can lay off first, Ozil looks pretty steadfast that he won’t leave before his contracts up.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56812 on: October 23, 2020, 10:46:29 am »
Does Arteta not think Saka is enough of a goal threat to play in the front 3? Him left and then Willian/Pepe on the right of Aubameyang would seem the best use of what you've got at the moment.

Im not sure his thinking, perhaps? I wouldn't even mind Saka having a spell on the right of the front 3 if Pepe continues to struggle, having him come inside on his left would perhaps give him  more goal threat.

Im not sure Laca is good enough either to be honest, it's certainly an area of the pitch that needs improved upon.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56814 on: October 26, 2020, 01:33:54 am »

Whispers becoming rumbles
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56815 on: October 26, 2020, 03:15:54 am »
They are a flat and dull defensive team that can't defend. Arteta is far from being "the next Pep" and I don't rate Pep that highly. He is more like a younger Spanish Sam Allardyce.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56816 on: October 26, 2020, 04:01:36 am »
Pedestrian. Partey offers nothing.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56817 on: October 26, 2020, 07:51:03 am »
Well we played 433, controlled most of the game, had a goal disallowed that was a bit harsh, had much more possession, had double Leicesters total shots & shots on target. RAWK has be telling me we should be very happy with that. Me, I'd much prefer the 3 points.

They are a flat and dull defensive team that can't defend. Arteta is far from being "the next Pep" and I don't rate Pep that highly. He is more like a younger Spanish Sam Allardyce.

We have the 2nd least goal conceded in the league & been to Anfield & the Etihad. If we can't defend the rest of the league must be really sh!t at it. I can give you attacking though, no worries.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56818 on: October 26, 2020, 08:20:18 am »
Well we played 433, controlled most of the game, had a goal disallowed that was a bit harsh, had much more possession, had double Leicesters total shots & shots on target. RAWK has be telling me we should be very happy with that. Me, I'd much prefer the 3 points.

We have the 2nd least goal conceded in the league & been to Anfield & the Etihad. If we can't defend the rest of the league must be really sh!t at it. I can give you attacking though, no worries.
Aston Villa conceded 3 goals less than you did, that doesn't make them a great defensive team, does it? You give a lot of space to the opponent despite playing defensive. Think about a team concerned about losing David Luiz to injury. Mark my words, that thrash Utd team will score 2 or 3 goals against Arsenal.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56819 on: October 26, 2020, 08:26:53 am »
Aston Villa conceded 3 goals less than you did, that doesn't make them a great defensive team, does it? You give a lot of space to the opponent despite playing defensive. Think about a team concerned about losing David Luiz to injury. Mark my words, that thrash Utd team will score 2 or 3 goals against Arsenal.

They wont, but theyll only need 1 if we keep setting up this negatively. 4-3-3 doesnt work for us, we shouldve stuck with 3 at the back, we were getting better at it every week, if we wanted to change it go 4-4-2. Any other formation we dont have the players for. And Partey should be replacing Xhaka not playing alongside him. Line up far too defensive yesterday against a team with 11 behind the ball, goal once again came from Xhaka and Mustafi getting outpaced. We need to be moving away from relying on them, even at this stage. 
Shouldve played another attacker and had Ceballos and Partey in the middle, we had 3 players in there doing the same thing and it was very predictable and pedestrian.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56820 on: October 26, 2020, 09:08:38 am »

Not after 5 games or so I'll give you, but goals conceded is as good a barometer as any long-term, as ultimately, thats what really counts. I'll happily 'give a lot of space to the opponent' if it means at the end of the season we are in the top couple of teams for goals conceded in the league. It's the attack I'm most worried about now.
As for Luiz, it's not just him though, it's the fact Mustafi hasn't played for months, it's Holding, it's Chambers, it's Mari who are also injured. Saliba will be the future but he's not deemed ready, which I think is a bit strange I must admit.

They wont, but theyll only need 1 if we keep setting up this negatively. 4-3-3 doesnt work for us, we shouldve stuck with 3 at the back, we were getting better at it every week, if we wanted to change it go 4-4-2. Any other formation we dont have the players for. And Partey should be replacing Xhaka not playing alongside him. Line up far too defensive yesterday against a team with 11 behind the ball, goal once again came from Xhaka and Mustafi getting outpaced. We need to be moving away from relying on them, even at this stage. 
Shouldve played another attacker and had Ceballos and Partey in the middle, we had 3 players in there doing the same thing and it was very predictable and pedestrian.

Disagree formation wise mate, I think long term we need to stick to a 433 or a version of it at least. We now just need to work on how to get the best out that system. Thought we looked fairly good first half, Tierney & Bellerin were getting forward to better effect, we controlled the midfield, we just lack that 1 or 2 players now with that bit of magic in the final 3rd. Perhaps we need to adjust it to more like a 4231 to introduce that other attacker be it Willian or the like, however I think long term it will require further recruitment to solve.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 09:11:12 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56821 on: October 26, 2020, 09:59:50 am »
It's been almost a year since with Arteta yet their team doesn't even look much better than Unai Emery's side. Arteta won Arsenal fans on the cup matches but i think that sideways passing and hoofing to Aubameyang tactics, being against taking risks, playing dire and ultra defensive will turn the fans off if they keep dropping points this easily and it starts this weekend imo. We keep joking about how bad Ole is as a manager (and he is) but come to think of it, Arteta has not really shown anything to say he is a clear cut better manager.

I actually now realize how big a job Wenger has done, playing attacking football and being in Top 4 every season despite not having much budget, i guess we neutral fans were all underrated him and didn't give him the respect he deserved.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56822 on: October 26, 2020, 10:21:11 am »
It's been almost a year since with Arteta yet their team doesn't even look much better than Unai Emery's side. Arteta won Arsenal fans on the cup matches but i think that sideways passing and hoofing to Aubameyang tactics, being against taking risks, playing dire and ultra defensive will turn the fans off if they keep dropping points this easily and it starts this weekend imo. We keep joking about how bad Ole is as a manager (and he is) but come to think of it, Arteta has not really shown anything to say he is a clear cut better manager.

I actually now realize how big a job Wenger has done, playing attacking football and being in Top 4 every season despite not having much budget, i guess we neutral fans were all underrated him and didn't give him the respect he deserved.

Hes certainly got a lot to prove, I don't think anyone is saying anything otherwise. I don't think there's anyone else suggesting we are anywhere close to the finished article. He's done his first objective & made us more solid & playing to a structure, his cup win along the way was a nice bonus. He now has perhaps the harder job of keeping us organised at the back while trying to be more creative. I think long term we need better personnel to do that as well, but he has to get better out of what he has, otherwise like any other manager he'll be judged accordingly like he should be.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56823 on: October 26, 2020, 10:24:53 am »

Is this a joke? ;D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56824 on: October 26, 2020, 10:41:35 am »

I read your post earlier - to me they seem better defensively and they still have that moment of magic capability (and should be doing more with Lacazette and Saka. Pepe is just comical - how did he con them into spending 70m?).

They are just too inconsistent overall - but I still expect them to grab at least 4th.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56825 on: October 26, 2020, 10:48:54 am »
He’s doing a grand job making Aubameyang totally ineffective. Suppose it’s hard for a striker to score when you have 1 shot in the second half of a tied game at home.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #56826 on: October 26, 2020, 11:05:39 am »
Think Arteta might be the most over rated managerial appointment I've ever seen - certainly in recent years.
Annointed by the press without question .. cup run aside which helps a lot I guess - he's made them worse. Their underlying numbers have been consistently mid table or worse since he's been in charge
Aubameyang has recorded less xG than Van Dijk ...

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #56827 on: October 26, 2020, 11:09:10 am »
No Auba No Partey, or something...

This has to be Aubameyang’s longest goal-less streak since he made the switch from the wing to a striker a permanent one.

Oh wait, it’s no longer permanent is it, as he now seems to be back to being a winger, which doesn’t make much sense for one of the best goal scorers in the league.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #56828 on: October 26, 2020, 11:12:03 am »

Surely he deserves time to settle in a new country and league.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56829 on: October 26, 2020, 11:16:19 am »
No Auba No Partey, or something...

This has to be Aubameyang’s longest goal-less streak since he made the switch from the wing to a striker a permanent one.

Oh wait, it’s no longer permanent is it, as he now seems to be back to being a winger, which doesn’t make much sense for one of the best goal scorers in the league.
It's baffling. He's not being shoved wide for better players and they just signed him to a new contract, so it's not like they were planning on phasing him out and this is part of it. It'd be really interesting to find out why he's done this as it clearly isn't getting the best out of their only really good goalscorer.

I only caught the first half but Saka looked good in the front 3 and they at least dominated that half of the game so it's something to build on I guess.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56830 on: October 26, 2020, 11:18:13 am »
Big few weeks for them, think they'll turn if they get a couple more bad results. Read earlier he's averaging 1.61 points per game so far, all while playing the dullest football in the league. Not great is it? Feels like they've had quite a lot of lucky wins in there too.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #56831 on: October 26, 2020, 11:29:16 am »
I dont think Arteta is overrated as a manager. You have to be rated first before you become over or under rated. He's not been at that level nearly long enough to be considered.

What should be more worrying is that performance last night. You look at both those team sheets, Leicester without Vardy starting, Aubameyang, Lacazette and Partey all starting. Arsenal fans should have optimistic of a decent result.

But 12 shots and only 4 on target at home is very poor even with Leicester going with a low block defence.

This season will be very strange and their season is by no means a write off yet. Man U next though... certainly no David Luiz which means more Mustafi

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #56832 on: October 26, 2020, 11:44:57 am »
The Spanish Di Matteo
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56833 on: October 26, 2020, 12:14:41 pm »
Also, his haircut just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56834 on: October 26, 2020, 12:35:41 pm »
It's baffling. He's not being shoved wide for better players and they just signed him to a new contract, so it's not like they were planning on phasing him out and this is part of it. It'd be really interesting to find out why he's done this as it clearly isn't getting the best out of their only really good goalscorer.

I only caught the first half but Saka looked good in the front 3 and they at least dominated that half of the game so it's something to build on I guess.

My only thinking is that perhaps Arteta is thinking that he scored 22 goals in each of the last 2 seasons mainly playing from wide left, so no need to change that & just hope for more from the number 9 & wide right. It's not currently working though.

Laca I don't think is good enough to play the Frimino role, & Pepe has been the major disappointment, especially for that outlay. Unfortunately we were never going to be able to fix all our issues in 1 window. My hope is we see more of Auba down the middle, & it might just be a case of trial & error seeing who plays well around him, be it Saka, Willian, Nelson or Martinelli when he is back fit.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56835 on: October 26, 2020, 12:52:39 pm »
My only thinking is that perhaps Arteta is thinking that he scored 22 goals in each of the last 2 seasons mainly playing from wide left, so no need to change that & just hope for more from the number 9 & wide right. It's not currently working though.

Laca I don't think is good enough to play the Frimino role, & Pepe has been the major disappointment, especially for that outlay. Unfortunately we were never going to be able to fix all our issues in 1 window. My hope is we see more of Auba down the middle, & it might just be a case of trial & error seeing who plays well around him, be it Saka, Willian, Nelson or Martinelli when he is back fit.

Something must have changed tactically though. Arsenal are obviously trying to be solid in their defensive structures so perhaps Auba is being asked to do more? It would be interesting to see his average position from last season to now. He could be around 10 to 20 yards deeper which could make a big difference to his output.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56836 on: October 26, 2020, 01:11:46 pm »
Something must have changed tactically though. Arsenal are obviously trying to be solid in their defensive structures so perhaps Auba is being asked to do more? It would be interesting to see his average position from last season to now. He could be around 10 to 20 yards deeper which could make a big difference to his output.

Its playing 4 at the back and 3 in the middle, thats the problem, the full backs are not as pushed forward as in a back 3 so Auba is having to stay out wide more. When we played with a back 3 we had the 3rd centre back going wide and the wing backs pushing high up, allowing Auba to go centrally more. 4-3-3 doesnt work for this team.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56837 on: October 26, 2020, 01:20:36 pm »
The great Johan Cruyff once said: "Winning is not enough. There also have to be beautiful football." At the moment, Arsenal have neither.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56838 on: October 26, 2020, 01:26:32 pm »
Pepe for £72m still blows my mind. He was worth about half at the time. Staggering overpay.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56839 on: October 26, 2020, 01:36:16 pm »
Its playing 4 at the back and 3 in the middle, thats the problem, the full backs are not as pushed forward as in a back 3 so Auba is having to stay out wide more. When we played with a back 3 we had the 3rd centre back going wide and the wing backs pushing high up, allowing Auba to go centrally more. 4-3-3 doesnt work for this team.

Thanks for that. So instead of being deeper, he's actually wider. Is Arteta's intention to setup Arsenal's 433 similar to Liverpool's or dare I say it Spurs? Auba should be looking to come in, Laca playing as a hybrid 9/10 with full backs providing width. Is that closer to Arteta's attacking ideal or is it something else entirely?