Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 600916 times)

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #4680 on: February 7, 2024, 10:23:41 pm »
Anyone been to Cargo and what's it like?

Went a few weeks ago and thought it was brilliant. It’s not cheap but the food was top notch so didn’t  feel overcharged
Believer

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4681 on: February 7, 2024, 10:24:54 pm »
Went to Cargo Seafood last night on Princes Parade, proper good food. Mrs shooters had Scallops to start while I had mussels in a white wine and cream sauce. Both excellent. She wanted oysters too but they weren’t available which was disappointing, the waiter said there were none at market, nor clams.

She had kerelean fish curry for mains (monkfish fillets and tiger prawns) while I had chef’s recommendation spicy tomato and prawn pasta. Really good cooking on the fish/prawns and both sauces were decent without being spectacular.

£105 including 2 cocktails, a large glass of red and a mocktail. Service included.
Believer

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4682 on: February 8, 2024, 09:39:42 am »
Not sure why a tyre company gets the final say on stuff like this.

Anyhow went into Tiger Rock on renshaw street last week, really good Asian food. Got 3 of the small plates they do which was  plenty for an evening meal.

Love Tiger Rock. Been in the North John St & Smithdown ones loads, but went to the Renshaw one for first time last month.

Got given a table in what feels like the overflow bit at the back - you can't really see the windows or the kitchen from this part. It was so dinny in there, I could hardly hear my mrs speaking. The noise was doing my head in and ruining it. When they came to take the order I asked for a different table, and I had to wait a bit, but they eventually moved us to the main section near the windows. It was like a different restaurant, was so much better.

So if you go to the Renshaw one, try and get a table in main section, not that bit at the back.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4683 on: February 8, 2024, 11:53:54 am »

Used to go a lot when I lived down the road. Food & service was always great.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4684 on: February 8, 2024, 04:49:14 pm »

Quite a while ago but yes and I enjoyed it.

Food was very good, but it’s a bit out the way, and when we went they were still digging up the dock road and we really struggled getting a taxi home and ended up walking miles.

Bad timing on our part because there was also a big fuck off piling rig working on the dock next door, so any view was fucked too.

Would defo go back though.

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #4686 on: February 9, 2024, 08:29:19 pm »
I believe Greggs Doorway, is the best place to take the love of your life and show her how much you love her.
There's the overhyped Michelin rating, and then there's Chop's own 5 star.

I know which one I'm going with.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #4687 on: February 13, 2024, 07:05:29 pm »
I believe, or was told, that the original Michelin ratings came from their travel guides, where 1 star meant worth stopping at while you’re in the area, 2 stars meant worth a detour, and 3 stars meant worth travelling to specifically. It’s obviously deviated from that.

Popped into Free State Kitchen the other day as my partner has been craving a burger. She went for the Chinese New Year special and I had a cheeseburger. When the offer is on, it’s hard to beat for cracking value for a quality burger. Partner did say that the hoisin chicken burger wasn’t as good as last year though, they’d used chewier thigh meat whereas last year it was a breast in a more moist sauce, this year more like a dry rub. Still good though.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #4688 on: February 17, 2024, 12:06:58 pm »
The Liverpool Post (which I still haven't subscribed to) has published a bit of a not-quite-takedown of the Michelin-influenced experience at Sheridan's joint, a good read

But complete control requires unwavering acquiescence. We’re told what to eat. Told how to eat it. How long the duck was hung for, and at what temperature it was cooked. Stopping, starting, tucking into something lovely, then feeling oddly robbed of joy when, after a mouthful, it’s gone. Never, ever, getting anything that even comes close to an actual meal: merely hints and whispers of what a meal might, possibly, theoretically taste like. Don’t ask for more. Just be grateful your Instagram grid has been fed.

All the while, we’re not really relaxing or enjoying time with our dining partners – robbed of the leisure and intimacy that dining out promises. Instead we’re forced to ask panicky questions about sous vide, filling the silence with conversation as substantial as a citrus foam.

I suppose, by turning up the LCD Soundsystem soundtrack, it’s Sheridan’s way of saying, hey, we’re really cool about all of this. And, to a point, that’s fair: our host and our chefs couldn't be sweeter. But there is an odd, unresolved tension blanketing every mini course, and every mini lesson. A sense that we’re less of a guest and more of a witness.

I won't be back. The evening left me wanting both less, and more. And the most depressing thing? These people can really cook.

I haven't been there. No idea if article is shit or good. Watching the Bear lately, and I feel like I've eaten in that world - and it's, like, not soul food in any true sense and I feel I understand their conclusion.

Modernist Cuisine recommends things such as injecting chicken with brine. I haven't quite found the inclination to bother diverging from Marcella Hazan, myself. Yeah, my belly'll decide

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4689 on: February 17, 2024, 09:44:12 pm »
If they can’t relax or enjoy time with their partners and don’t understand that a tasting menu is just that, and not a ‘meal’, then they are in the wrong job.

‘We were told what to eat’ what did you expect at a tasting experience?

There’s space for everyone to enjoy the food that speaks to them, not sure why that writer had to be so cunty
Believer

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4690 on: February 18, 2024, 10:53:59 am »
If they can’t relax or enjoy time with their partners and don’t understand that a tasting menu is just that, and not a ‘meal’, then they are in the wrong job.

‘We were told what to eat’ what did you expect at a tasting experience?

There’s space for everyone to enjoy the food that speaks to them, not sure why that writer had to be so cunty

Exactly my thoughts.

Don’t want to experience small plates of exceptional food which will likely be a new experience in some way for most, then don’t go for a fucking tasting menu experience.

Would be like me going to McNasty's and complaining the table service was non-existent.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #4691 on: February 18, 2024, 10:18:19 pm »
Best burger place to check? :)
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4692 on: February 18, 2024, 10:58:13 pm »
Best burger place to check? :)

Free State Kitchen
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #4693 on: February 20, 2024, 07:24:02 pm »
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4694 on: February 20, 2024, 11:32:05 pm »
Never write a bad review about a Liverpool restaurant rant

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d6765e10-d10a-4f21-a1f6-50307bbfe0f5?shareToken=20c62494b4288dece036b0778972dcc1

As if we needed any more evidence that Giles Coren is a detestable c*nt
Believer

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4695 on: February 21, 2024, 12:04:47 am »

Along with the majority of people commenting on the article, sadly.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4696 on: February 21, 2024, 10:01:24 am »
Frigging hell, what an absolute spineless, odious gobshite Coren is for that. Of course he stands alone with his acerbic opinions, I've listened so so many podcasts in which both celebrities and politicians will anecdotally mention Liverpool with absolute fondness.
So Giles Coren can go fuck himself.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4697 on: February 21, 2024, 10:11:24 am »
Never write a bad review about a Liverpool restaurant rant

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d6765e10-d10a-4f21-a1f6-50307bbfe0f5?shareToken=20c62494b4288dece036b0778972dcc1

Thing is he is basing this off a comment from Liverpool World - a Twitter with 943 followers

He wrote a whole article calling Liverpool and Scousers thin skinned crybabies because of one article from a small Twitter page

The irony of it

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #4698 on: February 21, 2024, 04:12:26 pm »
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #4699 on: February 22, 2024, 02:26:39 pm »
Thing is he is basing this off a comment from Liverpool World - a Twitter with 943 followers

He wrote a whole article calling Liverpool and Scousers thin skinned crybabies because of one article from a small Twitter page

The irony of it

Bit rich coming from that twat after posting on Twitter about the journalist Dawn Foster's death (aged 34) "Fuck off to Hell where you belong" . And all because she had the temerity to truthfully say Coren only got a job at The Times because of his famous father Alan Coren
There's numerous stories about him being a nasty twat. Including setting up an alternative Twitter account to send Antisemitic message to defend his wife from critics. It's shameful the BBC regularly employ him

https://www.indy100.com/news/giles-coren-twitter-alternative-account-pavel-pilnik-jonathan-nunn-wife-antisemitism-8703366
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 02:29:28 pm by Armchair expert »

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4700 on: February 27, 2024, 11:46:48 am »
First time in FSK for a while. Didn’t disappoint. I’m not really a fries man but they were as good as I’ve had and the burger was excellent. Onion rings on the side also great.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4701 on: March 1, 2024, 12:23:35 pm »
Finally caved in and used me Roski voucher before it expired.

Really nice evening, better than I was expecting to be honest.

Food was very nice, with the surf and turf dish and the cod being the standouts. Wine flight was excellent, with some interesting choices that complemented the food very well.

We went for the extra cheese course, which had a great variety of cheeses, and very generous portions too. The petit fours were ace as well.

Staff were friendly and attentive, and place had a nice laid back vibe.

Only gripe was the cost. Without our voucher, the night would’ve cost north of £450, would have felt too much for the overall offering, nice as it was.

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #4702 on: March 5, 2024, 02:48:33 am »
Got some time after the Man City game before I get my train.  Need some options that do takeout as won't have enough time 2 sit down in restaurant.  Love veggie burgers or other veggie junk food, but chains like McNasty's or BK etc.

Got about 45mins at Lime Street.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4703 on: March 5, 2024, 09:56:45 am »
Got some time after the Man City game before I get my train.  Need some options that do takeout as won't have enough time 2 sit down in restaurant.  Love veggie burgers or other veggie junk food, but chains like McNasty's or BK etc.

Down the Hatch, although think more vegan than veggie, used to be pretty decent but been a while since I’ve been.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #4704 on: March 6, 2024, 01:21:05 pm »

The irony of it

Exactly. Obviously he's too far up his own arsehole to register how ridiculous he looks.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4705 on: March 6, 2024, 03:10:26 pm »

If you are looking for a take away, I've recently been to Go Falafel for the first time and thought it was great.

https://gofalafel.co.uk/location.html

Rudy's pizza on Bold St is less than a 10 minute walk from Lime street as well

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #4706 on: March 6, 2024, 11:38:07 pm »
Anyone been to Belzan, Smithdown Road? Believe it’s good and have a gift voucher from work, trying to work out if best for a Sunday roast or another night?

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4707 on: March 6, 2024, 11:55:00 pm »
Anyone been to Belzan, Smithdown Road? Believe it’s good and have a gift voucher from work, trying to work out if best for a Sunday roast or another night?

Yeah a few times mate and every time it’s been boss.

Never been for Sunday lunch, but the breakfast there is ace, and the evening offerings have always been top notch.

Offline Raffio

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4708 on: March 7, 2024, 02:59:40 pm »
Does anyone have any decent recommendations for an Italian in the centre? Independent places ideally.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4709 on: March 7, 2024, 07:16:17 pm »
Does anyone have any decent recommendations for an Italian in the centre? Independent places ideally.

Casual - Casa Italia
Mid - Villa Romana
Posher - Italian Club Fish

Vincenzo’s is very good too, but that’s not in town.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #4710 on: March 7, 2024, 11:30:05 pm »
Casual - Casa Italia
Mid - Villa Romana
Posher - Italian Club Fish

Vincenzo’s is very good too, but that’s not in town.

Add Amalia to this
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #4711 on: March 9, 2024, 08:19:12 pm »
Just moved to Crosby and already been to Sesay's twice. Run by the son-in-law of a former work colleague so it was recommended to me. A lovely guy, and a red into the bargain.

My cousin and I both said Thursday was the best meal we'd had in ages!  And the roast was lovely too. I got half a chicken so had a doggy bag too = Mon lunch and 2 very happy cats :D

I'll deffo be going back. Great serving staff too.
We are a team of one half.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #4712 on: March 11, 2024, 01:21:48 pm »
Just moved to Crosby and already been to Sesay's twice. Run by the son-in-law of a former work colleague so it was recommended to me. A lovely guy, and a red into the bargain.

My cousin and I both said Thursday was the best meal we'd had in ages!  And the roast was lovely too. I got half a chicken so had a doggy bag too = Mon lunch and 2 very happy cats :D

I'll deffo be going back. Great serving staff too.

Live in Thornton, and have seen that place a lot on Facebook being promoted, been toying with a visit so will give it a go.

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #4713 on: March 12, 2024, 09:25:44 am »
Live in Thornton, and have seen that place a lot on Facebook being promoted, been toying with a visit so will give it a go.
They have music nights too. Think it says on FB when, and special menus like Mothers Day etc. It's not big in size so ring and reserve to ge sure, or go early. Shane is the owner. Enjoy it!

PS There's street parking outside and a bus stop.
We are a team of one half.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #4714 on: March 15, 2024, 02:03:11 pm »
Been gifted a Belzan voucher for my birthday. Anyone been before?

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4715 on: March 15, 2024, 06:04:17 pm »
Had a pizza in Pizza Punks on Bold street today. Very good indeed. I’m a staunch fan of Rudys but this was right up there.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #4716 on: March 15, 2024, 06:50:42 pm »
Not been back to pizza punk since we asked them to put an extra few quid on the bill as a tip, then got the receipt and found out they’d already put a service charge on…

Didn't think the pizza was all that either
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 04:02:56 pm by TheKid. »

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4717 on: March 16, 2024, 11:31:18 pm »
Il forno on Duke Street… it’s been one of my faves for years 🥰

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4718 on: March 17, 2024, 12:16:07 am »
Been gifted a Belzan voucher for my birthday. Anyone been before?

Yes, it's one of those that does small plates and big plates rather than starter/main. Food is nice, just wasn't really sure what they were aiming for with the dishes as some are sharers and some are like aimed for one person.

Great cooking and bar staff
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4719 on: April 2, 2024, 07:03:13 pm »
Sorry for the terrible source but could be interesting. Have to try it when I’m back home.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/great-british-menu-winner-open-28923386