Author Topic: Pink Floyd  (Read 45973 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Pink Floyd
« Reply #360 on: January 20, 2023, 11:26:42 am »
Her husband did the framing, nice job that.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: January 20, 2023, 11:33:12 am »
Impressive record collection! My dad has some Matt Munro albums.
He was a bit of a young dude, my old man......
This is my favourite picture of me and my dad, before he left me and my mum for the exotic Czech neighbour the following year.....

It's my fave because a) I remember that day because b) we're listening to DSotM, having just bought it. He looks like the cover of Cat Stevens' 'Teaser & the Firecat' there - fucking hippy  ;D

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2023, 01:39:16 pm »
He was a bit of a young dude, my old man......
This is my favourite picture of me and my dad, before he left me and my mum for the exotic Czech neighbour the following year.....

It's my fave because a) I remember that day because b) we're listening to DSotM, having just bought it. He looks like the cover of Cat Stevens' 'Teaser & the Firecat' there - fucking hippy  ;D

i was like, aw that's a lovely photo and then you hit me with before he left me and my mum for the exotic Czech neighbour the following year

wha? threw me that did
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: January 20, 2023, 02:23:22 pm »
wha? threw me that did
Threw us too ;) Still, playing that exact same record at his funeral, with said exotic Czech neighbour in attendance (they remained married for 47 years to be fair) healed some wounds. Pink Floyd music has a habit of doing that in our lives - think Hillsborough, Carl van Riel, Fearless, etc......

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #364 on: January 20, 2023, 07:44:33 pm »
Um. The people replying appear to have missed the point about what a prism does and have forgotten the original cover design!!!!! 🤔🤐🤣

Priceless.......

(My father had a 1st pressing of the original release - after his suicide, my half-sister and I debated how to divide the vinyl collection - she got this and has had it framed, I got Sgt Pepper and Trans-Europe Express. Tough choice ;) )

From this moment I don't listen this band :lmao.
What a snowflake...

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2023, 07:48:12 pm »
From this moment I don't listen this band :lmao.
What a snowflake...
i doubt that's a snowflakey response - sounds more like a boomer, to be honest. Surely the 'snowflake generation' would embrace the adoption of the rainbow, whereas the boomer makes a massive assumption that misses the point.......?

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2023, 07:52:51 pm »
i doubt that's a snowflakey response - sounds more like a boomer, to be honest. Surely the 'snowflake generation' would embrace the adoption of the rainbow, whereas the boomer makes a massive assumption that misses the point.......?

My point. He's exactly the type to throw around that type of term. Then throws his toys out of the pram at the anything he perceives as a slight.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: January 20, 2023, 07:57:05 pm »
My point. He's exactly the type to throw around that type of term. Then throws his toys out of the pram at the anything he perceives as a slight.
Ah gotcha thanks!

I had an afterthought to all this earlier.........let's assume Pink Floyd DID somehow through a masterstroke of prescience predict the use of the rainbow to symbolise gay pride - wouldn't that make them incredibly.........um..........progressive.........?

ohfuckoff :wave

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #368 on: January 21, 2023, 11:38:27 am »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: January 21, 2023, 11:51:00 am »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #370 on: January 26, 2023, 07:52:13 pm »
When I first heard the phrase ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’ might be the best album ever but it’s not even Pink Floyd’s best album, I thought what a load of fucking rubbish. That makes no sense.

However as I’ve gotten older, I have come to realise that there might not be a finer 40 odd minutes in music that I’ve heard. It’s absolutely flawless…. And yet I prefer Animals.

Guess it’s not so stupid after all

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2023, 09:19:56 pm »
When I first heard the phrase ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’ might be the best album ever but it’s not even Pink Floyd’s best album, I thought what a load of fucking rubbish. That makes no sense.

However as I’ve gotten older, I have come to realise that there might not be a finer 40 odd minutes in music that I’ve heard. It’s absolutely flawless…. And yet I prefer Animals.

Guess it’s not so stupid after all

Know exactly what you mean.

Animals is also my fave album, with Dogs probably my favourite Floyd track of all. I even throw Wish You Were Here and The Wall into the argument of which album(s) I like better than Darkside. Was especially the case 20/30 years ago. As I've got older, though, I've appreciated Darkside more and more. And, whereas Brain Damage never used to stand out for me, I love it now and it'd be in my top 5. The way it builds to the crescendo, with the backing singers chiming in. It's perfection.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2023, 08:22:42 am »
I've heard DSOTM so many times I sometimes forget just how great it is. All of the tracks are just so familiar. Every so often I'll sit and listen to the whole album and try to forget what comes next just to appreciate it.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: February 7, 2023, 09:34:32 am »
I guess we won't be seeing a Pink Floyd reunion anytime soon

https://twitter.com/davidgilmour/status/1622735222562226176?s=20

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: February 7, 2023, 10:14:27 am »
Can anyone give a précis version of what this spat is about? Antisemite? I mean, the Putin-apologist stuff I get (the whole "Ukraine is run by fascists!" thing) but the rest of it?

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #375 on: February 7, 2023, 10:28:17 am »
Can anyone give a précis version of what this spat is about? Antisemite? I mean, the Putin-apologist stuff I get (the whole "Ukraine is run by fascists!" thing) but the rest of it?

He's been a staunch critic of the state of Israel for a while now, and an avid supporter of Palestine. Obviously the extent to which that bleeds into anti-semitism is deeply complex and I don't know enough about what he's said or his personal views to comment either way.

His stuff on Ukraine is deeply depressing. Another celebrity just chatting utter shit. His gigs in Poland recently were cancelled as a result of his comments, the latest of which were essentially him saying that Russia's war was "probably the most provoked invasion ever” and parroting the well denounced bollocks about Nazism in Ukraine.

Not sure why Polly Samson is commenting now. I think the stuff on Israel is nuanced but his position on Ukraine isn't. Sometimes it feels like celebrities decide that they have to take a position on every cause going even when they evidently don't know enough about it. And sadly he has a platform to spout nonsense.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: February 7, 2023, 10:41:52 am »
Cheers - yes, his Poland gig cancellations made headline news here. And the criticism of Israel? This is all very familiar from the Labour thread - so a toxic nest of vipers.......

What about the charge of misogyny? What's that about?

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: February 7, 2023, 12:02:08 pm »
https://rogerwaters.com/berliner/

That interview is mental.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #378 on: February 7, 2023, 05:43:06 pm »
I guess we won't be seeing a Pink Floyd reunion anytime soon

https://twitter.com/davidgilmour/status/1622735222562226176?s=20

flippin eck go 'ed david lad

waters needs to rewrite the wall - from the other side of it
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: February 7, 2023, 10:19:35 pm »
He's not an anti-Semite, rather a victim of the Israeli tactic to smear anyone who supports the rights of Palestinians and believes Israel is now an Apartheid regime propagating evil (driven by religious zealots). We even see it amongst some on the News thread, twisting criticism of Israel into inferences that people are anti-Semitic.

But his views on Putin and Russia are utterly dismal. It's premised on the bullshit that Russia is under threat from Western expansion. It begs the question: what exactly is Russia? (or, indeed any other country). It isn't Putin or the Oligarcical system he presides over. It's not that hypocritical and illiberal. Orthodox church. It's not social conservatism and bigotry.

If Putin was toppled and all the evil, parasitic Oligarchs strung up, with a western-style liberal democracy that brought human rights and personal freedoms... Russia wouldn't be damaged or harmed.

Russia (or any country) is its people, its geography, its history, its language. Not the current socio-econo-political system and the twats heading it up.

It's so sad when your idols spout utter shite and show themselves up horribly.

Offline redan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #380 on: February 9, 2023, 01:06:55 pm »
I just do not know what to make of all this. I’m a huge fan of Roger Waters’ music and always acknowledged that his political views are not exactly aligned with my own but I always try to separate art from the artist where possible. However this is getting worrying now.

I have tickets to see him this year and whilst his shows always have a strong political presence, I am now concerned they’ll be dominated with his highly questionable views.

In other news, he has also re-recorded DSOTM by himself. That in itself is fine and I’d love to hear it but his comments about Wright and Gilmour not being able to write are bizarre and wholly inaccurate. I am a Waters fan and Floyd were never the same after he left but to try and write those two out of that album is like trying to write Lennon and Harrison out of Sgt Peppers. Wrights playing on Great Gig in the Sky, Gilmour solo in Time, their joint vocals throughout the album. It’s a real collaboration which culminates in one of the great records ever made.
It’s so sad that even in their old age it’s becoming so bitter, twisted and messy. Makes that Live 8 reunion even more remarkable

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #381 on: February 9, 2023, 08:43:11 pm »
Elvis Presley couldn't write. Neither could the Four Tops or the Supremes. Jimi Hendrix didnt write Hey Joe or All Along the Watchtower... Great Music isn't just about the writing,

Roger Waters was a great writer and Pink Floyd wouldn't have been the same without him, he is also a massive prick.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #382 on: February 9, 2023, 09:07:32 pm »

Roger Waters was a great writer and Pink Floyd wouldn't have been the same without him, he is also a massive prick.
And the older he gets, the more bitter he gets.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #383 on: May 20, 2023, 10:52:24 am »
Seeing Have You Got It Yet? at the Everyman next week

https://www.sydbarrettfilm.com/theatres/

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: May 23, 2023, 11:01:05 am »
Seeing Have You Got It Yet? at the Everyman next week

https://www.sydbarrettfilm.com/theatres/

This was great

Thoroughly recommend seeing it if it becomes more widely available

Seeing Libby and other such Syd girlfriends was a laugh  ;D both interviewed now, and old photos. There were very small pieces of dramatization - ie an actor for very young Syd. Sounds worse written down but was effective and not very common

Waters and Gilmour interviewed. Loads of footage

Syd dancing backstage (!)

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: May 24, 2023, 12:09:40 am »
Copped for 2 free tickets for Roger in Manchester courtesy of ticketmaster before. Lovely stuff.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: May 27, 2023, 12:33:53 pm »
Has anyone seen this, Sean Lennon's band The Claypool Lennon Delirium doing a cover of Astronomy Domine.

Lennon's solo is pretty fucking good. :o

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/n93sunrgNvE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/n93sunrgNvE</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: May 27, 2023, 12:40:12 pm »
Copped for 2 free tickets for Roger in Manchester courtesy of ticketmaster before. Lovely stuff.
Weren't apartheid defenders trying to get that show cancelled?

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #388 on: May 27, 2023, 02:53:45 pm »
Has anyone seen this, Sean Lennon's band The Claypool Lennon Delirium doing a cover of Astronomy Domine.

Ace that.

Online SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: May 27, 2023, 08:57:05 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/n93sunrgNvE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/n93sunrgNvE</a>

Woah that's great. Thanks for sharing. Never heard of these before so will check them out now.
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: May 27, 2023, 10:11:37 pm »
Weren't apartheid defenders trying to get that show cancelled?
Yep, some M.P thinks I will see Roger dressed as Pink and head to a synagogue with petrol bomb in hand.

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: May 27, 2023, 10:13:47 pm »

Les Claypool from Primus has been covering Floyd for years. Brilliantly
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 10:18:51 pm by only6times »

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: May 27, 2023, 10:34:28 pm »
Yep, some M.P thinks I will see Roger dressed as Pink and head to a synagogue with petrol bomb in hand.
I don't agree with almost anything Morrissey says, but it wouldn't stop me going to see him again, as he's a genius, people should be able to separate politics from music, unless of course the musician is in the KKK or an actual Neo Nazi.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #393 on: May 28, 2023, 07:16:18 am »
I don't agree with almost anything Morrissey says, but it wouldn't stop me going to see him again, as he's a genius, people should be able to separate politics from music, unless of course the musician is in the KKK or an actual Neo Nazi.

It's a really difficult issue. Ultimately free speech is incredibly important but then there's a balance between that and giving people a platform to be hateful, spout rhetoric and encourage such behaviour in others. Also venues should have a right to decide whether they want to permit someone to play there. I'd feel uncomfortable if an arts centre was forced to allow someone to go along and deliver hate speech to a mob of pricks under the banner of free speech.

Morrissey and Roger Waters are both complicated. I'd have absolutely no interest in seeing Morrissey now as I think he's become a far right bellend. I'd still listen to a Smiths song at home as I feel that's different - that's the work of a group of people from a different time, before Morrissey seemed increasingly like a wrong'un. I wouldn't feel remotely comfortable giving him money to see him perform and listen to him spout shit at me.

This Roger Waters thing seems to be predicated on a misunderstanding on the purpose of his outfit. The whole point of the Wall album and associated performances is to decry war and fascism, though I appreciate it would look weird if you've never seen it before and Germany has strict laws a out that sort of thing.

That being said, whilst I saw the Wall show he did at the O2 a decade ago, I wouldnt go and see him now after all of his bullshit about Ukraine and Russia. I think he's using his platform to deliver dangerous misinformation and I wouldn't want to support that. Still adore Pink Floyd and listen to their albums though. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite ;D

Ultimately it's up to fans to make a decision on the gravity of what artists do (or are accused of doing). I still listen to Arcade Fire now, they're one of my favourite bands ever, but I wasn't comfortable getting tickets to their recent tour after the allegations against Win Butler. And there are musicians who've behaved reprehensibly. I'd be very surprised if many people still listen to Lostprophets any more and I can't really see how you could separate music and musician there.

It's a grey area isn't it. Where does an artist cross the line - is it as you say if they declare themselves a KKK supporter or a neo Nazi, or someone before that? Ultimately it's up to individual consciouses what they're comfortable with.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 07:20:06 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: May 28, 2023, 09:43:11 am »
Fella has been off my radar since blaming Israel for the George Floyd murder

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #395 on: May 28, 2023, 03:16:05 pm »
A lot of the media went with and showing a picture of the pig with the star of David on it from the Berlin Gig.

MP calling for the Manchester gig to be cancelled and the BBC are repeating it because of the picture.

But the picture is from 2013 and not Berlin there was no Star of David in the Berlin gig.

Im sure BBC verify will be all over it.

Thread about it

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1662807065931272194
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 03:31:34 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #396 on: May 30, 2023, 11:20:31 am »
Fella has been off my radar since blaming Israel for the George Floyd murder

He's subtle isn't he? Hates everything to do with Israel and hates all Israelis who he accuses of being responsible for everything in the world he dislikes, but no he's "got nothing against the Jews". Wears an SS uniform on stage with a Nazi armband that, when you look very closely, isn't quite an SS uniform and isn't quite a Nazi armband.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #397 on: May 30, 2023, 11:55:28 am »
Pretty sure it wasn’t Jews who killed his father. All very odd. He seems a troubled soul.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline redan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #398 on: June 1, 2023, 08:53:25 am »
Went to see Roger Waters last night and I have to say the show was great. It was very politicised as expected and you can see just how much the recent past has taken a toll on him, he nearly broke down a few times talking about the criticism he’d received and how much it’s hurt him. He has always been extremely left and anti fascist but he’s gotten lost recently and due to how Pro-Palestine he is, it’s manifested into something else.

That said, I’d rather focus on the music, as that is what I went for and like I say it was a fantastic spectacle. He played around 2.30 hours excluding an intermission (good job I had to drive due to the rail strikes as he played 30 mins after the scheduled time). It was about 2/3 Floyd songs but what I think is really telling is how he is trying to write Gilmour out entirely. I do not know if this is a result of that tweet from Gilmour’s wife or this was always the show but there’s a video during Have a Cigar (which Gilmour played on) and the whole video just shows the Barrett era line up and any shots of later, like Pompeii, do not show Gilmour but there’s lots of shots of Wright, Mason and Barrett. Don’t know if he refused to have his image used but it was jarring and a massive elephant in the room (to add to the inflatable pigs and sheep).

First and foremost a great show though

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #399 on: June 1, 2023, 03:14:05 pm »

Roger lives inside his head quite a bit I think, he's very close to the edge all the time when you see him interviewed, still a genius but not quite in control as much as he would wish[/size]

"And if the dam breaks open many years too soon"[/size]

"There's someone in my head but it's not me"
aarf, aarf, aarf.