Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1052542 times)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Jason Mohammad definitely needs mentioning. He really pisses me off.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
In an age where punditry is down the toilet with the absolute ego overload onboard (that list in the poll is just a nightmare), lets all spare a thought for the passing of a true legend, Jimmy Armfield.

What a pro, what a gentleman. Well informed, wiser than all of them on that list put together yet incredibly humble with it.

RIP Jimmy.

Well said. Knowledgable, humble, warm, and knew that he was there to provide some colour and analysis of the action, not spout hyperbolic bollocks (hyperbollocks?) to generate anger, controversy and social media bantz.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
When did Andy Hinchcliffe become the poor man's Alan Smith on Sky?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
Can anyone shed any light on Martin Tyler's latest line? So Granit Xhaka is currently the match winner for Arsenal and he says something along the lines of "Tonight currently London is the GRANIT CITY!!!". So I understand it's a play on the stone granite. However, what the fuck does that have to do with anything? I Googled Granite City and there's a couple of places in America called Granite City.

So as far as I can tell this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If I'm wrong please let me know so I can get my head around it.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Can anyone shed any light on Martin Tyler's latest line? So Granit Xhaka is currently the match winner for Arsenal and he says something along the lines of "Tonight currently London is the GRANIT CITY!!!". So I understand it's a play on the stone granite. However, what the fuck does that have to do with anything? I Googled Granite City and there's a couple of places in America called Granite City.

So as far as I can tell this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If I'm wrong please let me know so I can get my head around it.

Arsenal are a London club, playing Chelsea a London club, Granit Xhaka plays for Arsenal and has the winning goal, so London is being won by Arsenal not Chelsea so he's called it Granit City.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Tyler at Chelsea's last corner: "Well, no-one does mark at Arsenal, it's all zonal."

This country's leading commentator is absolutely clueless.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Not that it has anything to do with tonight’s teams but think Aberdeen, possibly Dundee is known as the Granite City.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
Aberdeen, the Granite city.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Neville needs to fuck off. Sounded absolutely gutted when we scored but soon piped up when Kane knocked in that penalty.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Tyler at Chelsea's last corner: "Well, no-one does mark at Arsenal, it's all zonal."

This country's leading commentator is absolutely clueless.

Tyler on Sunday, basically saying that he's noticed all the top players were playing on Sunday despite playing midweek and that tiredness was all in the mind. No you nugget, the fact that both teams had at least 3 clear days after the midweek fixture probably had more to do with it.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I've said it before and I'll say it again. ESPN have the worst group of pundits going by an absolute country mile. The male presenter is a bit of a dick as well.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Jason Mohammad definitely needs mentioning. He really pisses me off.
he's pissed me off for years, glad he's made it nationally as now he doesn't appear on BBC Wales' screens quite so often!

He's even got his own Sunday morning show on Radio 2 now! Met him once, the man is as big an arse in person as he is on screen, a complete and utter bellend full of his own self importance
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
I've said it before and I'll say it again. ESPN have the worst group of pundits going by an absolute country mile. The male presenter is a bit of a dick as well.
Stevie Nichol is part of the panel isn't he?
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Gary Neville is becoming horrendous to listen to. He has players in most teams he has issues with, fair enough, but as soon as they make one little mistake he starts giving it all, without noticing anything they have done right throughout the game.

Since his little management failure, he has come back so bitter nothing like what he was before.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I find Macca's voice incredibly grating
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Just realised Jonathan Pearce is listed twice, dammit I missed the opportunity to vote for that fat twat twice!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Mark Bright, David Pleat and Garth Crooks are the worst for me. Not even sure if the first two get on the telly anymore.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Still the dribbling gimp that is merson.

He’s scarcely sober,how he gets employed is a mystery.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Mark Bright, David Pleat and Garth Crooks are the worst for me. Not even sure if the first two get on the telly anymore.

Wash your mouth out. No way does Pleat belong in such lowly company. He’s ace.

Good evening everybody.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan

Christ, is this post from 2007!! I'm only aware of Garth Crooks still on the TV, haven't heard from the other two in years.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mark Lawrenson, I vote for him every year on this, and he still appears on the TV or radio. Some of the others are awful, but not in the same league as this c*nt.

Great defender, massive quim.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2018, 10:38:33 pm by LanceLink »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: 2018 - Who is worst Commentator/Pundit? Get your votes in and I'll add them
« Reply #3741 on: February 10, 2018, 08:37:17 am »
Wash your mouth out. No way does Pleat belong in such lowly company. He’s ace.

Good evening everybody.

:D He's one of the very few I can tolerate!

He does do the occassional game for world wide coverage I guess, cos I hear him on US tv once in a while.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #3742 on: February 10, 2018, 11:03:31 am »
Others may be more annoying and some may be more arrogant, but no one comes close to the sheer stupidity and dearth of knowledge as Paul Merson.

His latest gem (credit to @HLTCO on Twitter):

Paul Merson: "Spurs' defenders won't have seen a lot of Aubameyang, they won't know his movements."

Spurs have faced Aubameyang four times in the last two years, in which time the striker has scored four goals against them.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3743 on: February 10, 2018, 11:25:15 am »
Stevie Nichol is part of the panel isn't he?

Yep, sadly.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3744 on: February 10, 2018, 11:29:01 am »
Others may be more annoying and some may be more arrogant, but no one comes close to the sheer stupidity and dearth of knowledge as Paul Merson.

His latest gem (credit to @HLTCO on Twitter):

Paul Merson: "Spurs' defenders won't have seen a lot of Aubameyang, they won't know his movements."

Spurs have faced Aubameyang four times in the last two years, in which time the striker has scored four goals against them.

Hardly surprising. All the Sky "pundits" think the world revolves around the Premier League. Apart from European games when English teams are playing and El Classico, I doubt any of them ever watch a game from any other league.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3745 on: February 10, 2018, 11:31:07 am »
Merson doesn’t even know the basic rules of the game..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3746 on: February 10, 2018, 12:18:17 pm »
Whoever the bald twat is on Beinsports right now (suprise suprise its andy gray)

Talking about Kanes dive and making out keepers should always 'stay on their feet and jockey'. Apparently we need to wonder why keepers go to ground.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:20:30 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #3747 on: February 12, 2018, 10:29:22 pm »
In a weekend where Newcastle were saved several times by their brilliant keeper, Garth Crooks has chosen Mat Ryan of Brighton - and I quote - who made one save in the match in his team of the week.

He's also chosen Salah over Firmino, who I thought had the better match, and Shelvey, who bossed that shite team from Manchester, is nowhere to be seen. None of the Huddersfield players in there either.

Garth Crooks mate, what sport are you watching?
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #3748 on: February 12, 2018, 10:31:22 pm »
only 3 votes for Jenas?....the fuck's going on?
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #3749 on: February 12, 2018, 10:49:32 pm »
In a weekend where Newcastle were saved several times by their brilliant keeper, Garth Crooks has chosen Mat Ryan of Brighton - and I quote - who made one save in the match in his team of the week.

He's also chosen Salah over Firmino, who I thought had the better match, and Shelvey, who bossed that shite team from Manchester, is nowhere to be seen. None of the Huddersfield players in there either.

Fucking hell, mate, if you get wound up by Garth Crooks you are in serious trouble. Take a ginseng lozenge and watch The Crown on Netflix
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3750 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:20 pm »

He also believes Aguero should win POTY. Don't get me wrong, Aguero is undoubtedly world class, but De Bruyne, Salah and Kane should (and will) be the set in stone top 3 this year, probably in that order.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #3751 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:57 pm »
The idea we are only allowed one vote in this comedy of errors is suspect. I may well take a ginseng lozenge and watch The Crown on Netflix to compensate
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Cheshire_Cat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3752 on: February 13, 2018, 11:55:29 am »
I'd like to propose Mark Schwarzer after co-commentating on our game on 5-Live at the weekend.

He wonders why so few keepers are pundits ... well ... if he's a representative sample, its because they're as thick as pig-shit!

I clearly missed the 3 new players we bought in January - Firminio, Trent Arnold and Andy Robinson.

For fucks sake. If you're gonna talk on the radio at least learn who the fucking players are!

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3753 on: February 13, 2018, 12:25:10 pm »
I'd like to propose Mark Schwarzer after co-commentating on our game on 5-Live at the weekend.

He wonders why so few keepers are pundits ... well ... if he's a representative sample, its because they're as thick as pig-shit!

I clearly missed the 3 new players we bought in January - Firminio, Trent Arnold and Andy Robinson.

For fucks sake. If you're gonna talk on the radio at least learn who the fucking players are!

Heard Mark Lawrenson on Five Live a few weeks back going on about our young full back Alex Arnold. Clearly trying to sound like he was 'in' with our players by shortening Alexander to Alex like it was his first name! ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3754 on: February 16, 2018, 08:09:27 am »
Had to watch an American stream for the Porto match, and whilst the commentators kept getting the names wrong, I actually liked them just calling it as they saw it and not having any sort of agenda. Even when we were 2-0 up there was no mention of our "history of collapses", as they could see we were just dominating them. Made it a much more relaxing watch.

I then watched the CL highlights show on ITV. Roy Keane - what's that all about. It's clear the other pundits are scared shitless of disagreeing with him. Also, they didn't actually do any analysis - it was just their random opinions on stuff, and it just ended up being the weirdest stop-start "chat" i've ever heard. So for making me uncomfortable whilst watching a footy highlights show, can I nominate Roy Keane? 

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #3755 on: February 17, 2018, 04:30:02 am »
Had to watch an American stream for the Porto match, and whilst the commentators kept getting the names wrong, I actually liked them just calling it as they saw it and not having any sort of agenda. Even when we were 2-0 up there was no mention of our "history of collapses", as they could see we were just dominating them. Made it a much more relaxing watch.

I then watched the CL highlights show on ITV. Roy Keane - what's that all about. It's clear the other pundits are scared shitless of disagreeing with him. Also, they didn't actually do any analysis - it was just their random opinions on stuff, and it just ended up being the weirdest stop-start "chat" i've ever heard. So for making me uncomfortable whilst watching a footy highlights show, can I nominate Roy Keane? 

Agree. Commentary on American broadcasts can be quite good, like the NBC pundits. The Canadian ones can be decent as well. I watched a Canadian feed of the Napoli - Leipzig match and they were drooling at halftime about being able to see Keita next season for Liverpool.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3756 on: February 17, 2018, 06:43:27 pm »
only 3 votes for Jenas?....the fuck's going on?

I'm alright with Jenas, he's usually pretty good with Darren Fletcher on the Friday night show on 5Live. He can say some things I disagree with but at least there seems to be some thought behind it and usually has reasons for his opinions. He does give some good insights from being a professional footballer himself.

I think he's better on the aforementioned 5Live show because it's longer and there's usually a guest he can ask questions to and relate to.

Does anyone ever come across well from their Match of the Day appearances?

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3757 on: February 17, 2018, 06:44:26 pm »
Agree. Commentary on American broadcasts can be quite good, like the NBC pundits. The Canadian ones can be decent as well. I watched a Canadian feed of the Napoli - Leipzig match and they were drooling at halftime about being able to see Keita next season for Liverpool.

Yeah American and Canada commentary can be very refreshing at times, just talking about the match itself.

Although it terms of the pundits I can't handle them looking into the camera at me, looking into my soul.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3758 on: February 17, 2018, 07:31:22 pm »

Keane is a professional contrarian, if Salah scored 50 this season he'd still say he had no right foot, crap at tackling and poor in the air, the fucking arsehole.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3759 on: February 17, 2018, 07:32:21 pm »
I'm alright with Jenas, he's usually pretty good with Darren Fletcher on the Friday night show on 5Live. He can say some things I disagree with but at least there seems to be some thought behind it and usually has reasons for his opinions. He does give some good insights from being a professional footballer himself.

I think he's better on the aforementioned 5Live show because it's longer and there's usually a guest he can ask questions to and relate to.

Does anyone ever come across well from their Match of the Day appearances?
Always liked Gullit and Desailly when they've been BBC pundits, don't know if they've ever been on MOTD mind you.