Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 799183 times)

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #16840 on: January 13, 2018, 09:51:23 pm »
Well done circa. Anyone looking at my parkruns recently. I'm running with a friend's GF. She's wanted to get into running so we are taking her to Crocky hall parkrun.

Managed a brisk 6 miles on Friday that I really enjoyed. Trying to fit a half in tomorrow morning before the match.

Next Saturday I'm doing the beer mile with Mikkeller. So that could be interesting

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16841 on: January 14, 2018, 10:16:07 am »
Signed up to do the Mersey Tunnel 10K this April. Excited, first time entering these races. I've ran 10K in the past, but not in the last three years. Three Months to get my fitness up!
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16842 on: January 14, 2018, 12:56:15 pm »
10 miles .. almost no foot pain !!   I feel like a man reborn :)

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16843 on: January 14, 2018, 02:18:02 pm »
Well that didn't go according to plan. Pretty awful pain in my left knee. Couldn't managed to run down stairs.

Joint ace and rest

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16844 on: January 14, 2018, 08:39:29 pm »
Well that didn't go according to plan. Pretty awful pain in my left knee. Couldn't managed to run down stairs.

Joint ace and rest

shit.  hope you managed to watch the match and cheer yerself up ....

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16845 on: January 15, 2018, 07:21:53 am »
shit.  hope you managed to watch the match and cheer yerself up ....

By rest I meant a trip to town then onto Anfield.

Up the reds 😃

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16846 on: January 15, 2018, 09:06:30 pm »
Threshold run tonight - 5 miles at 6:34/mi with 10 miles in total. That’s actually a 5 mile PB by about half a minute. Happy that I could maintain the pace I did the 4 miles LT runs at.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16847 on: January 16, 2018, 10:37:33 am »
Alan: very nice pace on the LT, looking good

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16848 on: January 16, 2018, 06:36:55 pm »
LT session for me today, 6 miles of effort. Was never going to comfortable after Sunday & racing XC & the last 2 miles i was hanging on big time. Delighted to keep up the pace that's been there all campaign

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #16849 on: January 16, 2018, 09:30:45 pm »

What did the fox say?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jofNR_WkoCE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jofNR_WkoCE</a>

I'll get my coat....

Dug up this earworm for this new video.   

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pqzopUurZPc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pqzopUurZPc</a>

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16850 on: January 17, 2018, 09:26:02 am »
Buggy: wrong thread???

Old: great LT session after the XC at the weekend. You are really flying at the minute and looking strong!

14mi MLR this morning - does anyone else struggle with these? I found today's the most difficult run for a while. It's early, midweek and before work plus I'm still feeling the LT session a bit from Monday night. Just feels like really hard work compared to my Long Runs at the weekend.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16851 on: January 17, 2018, 03:42:46 pm »
Weebroalan: very nice LT session; this could be your best campaign yet. The midweek MLRs do get easier as the endurance fitness kicks in, I find. I struggled on my MLR for the last couple today but I’m confident in a couple of weeks I’ll be able to push on through the whole run. My LT session on Tues was a disaster; set out to do 5 @tempo but was blowing out my arse before two so to save flogging a dead horse any further I eased off after 4 at LT. Was hoping to do Bramley with you but found out last night there’s no way I can take the day as holiday.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16852 on: January 17, 2018, 04:17:45 pm »
Mr B: shame about Bramley - would have been good to see you again! It'll have to be the Red Lion on 22nd April :)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16853 on: January 17, 2018, 07:23:02 pm »
I went out and jogged a mile tonight. I didn’t enjoy it as I’m so out of shape now. I’m wondering whether I’ll be able to put up with months of being slow to get back in shape. :(

I’ll have to shift some weight.

On the bright side, my Achilles was fine.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16854 on: January 17, 2018, 08:29:49 pm »
Alan: I've always found the Wednesday MLR tough, especially if you've done an LT session the day before & you likely have Sundays long run in the legs too. I think 14/15 on a Wednesday is tougher than 20 on a Sunday

Peabee: good to see you back. Enjoy just getting out, the fitness will follow in good time

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16855 on: January 17, 2018, 10:55:31 pm »

14mi MLR this morning - does anyone else struggle with these? I found today's the most difficult run for a while. It's early, midweek and before work plus ..........

yup, i think we would all find that hard ;)

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16856 on: January 17, 2018, 10:57:03 pm »
I went out and jogged a mile tonight. I didn’t enjoy it as I’m so out of shape now. I’m wondering whether I’ll be able to put up with months of being slow to get back in shape. :(

as someone more injured than not I am always suprised how quickly i get back into shape (relatively speaking)

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16857 on: January 18, 2018, 09:49:07 am »
yup, i think we would all find that hard ;)
:)

Looks like you are getting back into things on Strava CP. Injury gone?

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16858 on: January 18, 2018, 09:50:36 am »
PB: you'll be back flying in no time. When I had my 4 months off in 2016 it felt like ages but I was soon back where I was. It'll feel tough going for a month and you'll feel like you are getting nowhere but suddenly it just clicks again. Great to see you back again!

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16859 on: January 18, 2018, 02:45:54 pm »
Alright after being a complete and utter lazy bastard for far too long Ive attempted to start getting fit and running again.
Just wondering what people use to track their runs with strava? Ive just been using my phone but clearly that isnt much use as the GPS is completely off. Has me as running through lakes or running as the crow flies rather than actually tracking the track. While Im not anything special Id like to accurately track my runs to see if Im improving and be able to set myself some proper goals.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16860 on: January 18, 2018, 03:24:55 pm »
Swiss: good to hear you are running again. Most people will have a GPS watch (Garmin, Polar, Tom Tom, Suunto) which tracks their runs. You then upload it to Strava when you are done. Or like you say you can use Strava on your phone but its not much good if the phone's GPS is wonky. You can pick up a new GPS watch for about £100 for the basic version which will give you GPS, time, pace, split times, distance run etc - all the essentials to start with.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16861 on: January 18, 2018, 03:29:43 pm »
Alan: I've always found the Wednesday MLR tough, especially if you've done an LT session the day before & you likely have Sundays long run in the legs too. I think 14/15 on a Wednesday is tougher than 20 on a Sunday

Peabee: good to see you back. Enjoy just getting out, the fitness will follow in good time

Cheers. It just felt weird with my legs wanting to go faster than I could handle. This was my first proper injury, so it’s a learning process I guess. It’s good to be back seeing how you’re all getting on.

Alan:  thanks, I think I’ll just jog for a month then see where I’m at.  The positive thing is that my Achilles seems to be fixed. It was a nasty injury; physio was worried it had become chronic. I’d been running on it for a few months ignoring it because I was obsessed with getting faster. We live and learn.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16862 on: January 18, 2018, 10:28:46 pm »
:)

Looks like you are getting back into things on Strava CP. Injury gone?

not exactly. running is OK . its the next day now when it hurts.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16863 on: January 18, 2018, 10:36:07 pm »
Alright after being a complete and utter lazy bastard for far too long Ive attempted to start getting fit and running again.
Just wondering what people use to track their runs with strava? Ive just been using my phone but clearly that isnt much use as the GPS is completely off. Has me as running through lakes or running as the crow flies rather than actually tracking the track. While Im not anything special Id like to accurately track my runs to see if Im improving and be able to set myself some proper goals.

I use my phone tucked into a little belt thing. Dont seem to have any problems with the GPS though (iphone6) . I also use my phone to stop and take pictures because I am the least serious runner you will find :)   

I also find it reassuring that i can call for help should i break an ankle or anything ..  its not exactly remote where i go running and it is often very quiet.  I am sometimes tempted to ring home for a lift because i've had enough but haven't succumbed to that yet...

Offline Jamesie

• Main Stander
« Reply #16864 on: January 18, 2018, 11:46:54 pm »

Good to see you back mate. Got to admit, I did smile when I saw you'd been out.

Nothing daft & you'll be surprised how quickly your fitness comes back.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16865 on: January 21, 2018, 06:23:21 pm »
What a great feeling...  nicely knackered like only running for two hours can do...
the beer at lunch never tasted better.  Can’t say the plantar fasciitis has gone but it’s comforable enough to run and the after pain only lasts a day ..

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16866 on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:54 am »
CP: good to see you are handling bigger distances with the plantar f. Looks like you are recovering well.

Been a crazy few days - wife took ill end of last week so I've been on full time 4 year old duties. Feeling pretty knackered but got my marathon pace run in at 8pm on Saturday night - I wouldn't recommend it out of choice. It was weird running at that pace at 10 o'clock at night as that's when I'm usually going to bed - my heart rate was fairly low for this type of run and however much I pushed I couldn't get it any higher or go much faster. I guess my body is primed to sleep at that time and it wasn't going to do anything else - it was a pretty decent run averaging 7:30/mi for the MP section which is good at this early stage. Looking forward to a recovery week now :)

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16867 on: January 22, 2018, 02:05:42 pm »
CP: great progress with the recovery

Alan: sounds like a difficult few days, well done for fitting it all in, especially a big MP session.

20 miles for me yesterday to cap off a good weeks running. 7 of us headed out together which was great, inevitably the group split with me & one other pushing on for a 6:40 average. Was happy with how that pace felt considering it was an 85 mile week.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16868 on: January 22, 2018, 04:58:01 pm »
Old: that's super mileage and even more impressive with a little one! Sounds like a good long run as well.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16869 on: January 22, 2018, 06:48:12 pm »
Alan: I'm very fortunate on the time front at present, I've stopped work since Christmas & I'm going to be a stay at home dad, however the wife isn't back at work until next month.

This gives me two amazing opportunities, firstly to spend loads of time with my baby boy but also to smash some marathon training, i may well never get a shot as good as this again & so I'm determined to make the most of it
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:51:16 pm by Old No7 »

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16870 on: January 23, 2018, 03:06:09 pm »
Old: sounds brilliant - great that you have hammer out 85mpw and spend time with the boy :) Enjoy mate!

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16871 on: January 23, 2018, 10:40:44 pm »
Good to see you back mate. Got to admit, I did smile when I saw you'd been out.

Nothing daft & you'll be surprised how quickly your fitness comes back.

Cheers mate. I ended up with a bug the next day, so haven’t been for a run since. Hopefully that also explains how unfit I felt.

Old:  nice one and great mileage. I’m not working at the moment, so hoping to make the most of it to get back in shape.  I’m a crap house-husband though; my missus came home to me napping on the sofa with the snooker on last week...

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16872 on: January 24, 2018, 05:16:56 pm »
Cheers mate. I ended up with a bug the next day, so haven’t been for a run since. Hopefully that also explains how unfit I felt.

Old:  nice one and great mileage. I’m not working at the moment, so hoping to make the most of it to get back in shape.  I’m a crap house-husband though; my missus came home to me napping on the sofa with the snooker on last week...

enjoy it while you can...

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16873 on: January 24, 2018, 06:54:02 pm »
One of the lads who ran Athens is moving to Nottingham so I went along to dockside last night. Was a well structured session that enabled 30 or so of us to go as hard or as slow as we felt comfortable.

Felt fine and got a good five miles in. Next week is a group session where all 70 or so do the same session so will give it a miss.

They've had to move stores now. Been coming from Nike for a while and the new store (Real buzz).

Plan for this weekend is to maybe get out Friday for 7 or 8. Gentle parkrun with my mates missus on Saturday and 14 ish on sunday.

Still not over the snow and rain from last Sunday

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16874 on: January 25, 2018, 09:23:44 pm »
London Marathon has a great line-up.  The current champ, Wanjiru, versus Kipchoge, Bekele, Farah, Adola (fastest debut, sub 2:04), Biwott.

Also, Mary Keitany is going to be given male pacers to have a bash at Paula’s record.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16875 on: January 25, 2018, 09:56:56 pm »
London Marathon has a great line-up.  The current champ, Wanjiru, versus Kipchoge, Bekele, Farah, Adola (fastest debut, sub 2:04), Biwott.

Also, Mary Keitany is going to be given male pacers to have a bash at Paula’s record.

Incredible line-up. Unless he's done something insane with his training I don't see Mo coming anywhere near the others, coming in as Brit #1 is surely his target for this one..?

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16876 on: January 26, 2018, 12:00:26 am »
Incredible line-up. Unless he's done something insane with his training I don't see Mo coming anywhere near the others, coming in as Brit #1 is surely his target for this one..?

Agreed. I think the British record will be his aim. I’d love to be surprised, but I don’t think he could get near Kipchoge.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16877 on: January 26, 2018, 09:20:33 am »
Agreed. I think the British record will be his aim. I’d love to be surprised, but I don’t think he could get near Kipchoge.

Agreed. Think he's ran about 2:08 ish so id guess he'll go quicker if he's now focusing on road running.

Will be excited to see how Mellor goes too. Well I say excited, it probably won't be my first thought

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16878 on: January 26, 2018, 10:10:29 am »
I'll give Farah credit for having his first proper go at it in that field, i wouldn't have been surprised if they put together a soft line up just so he could win it & everyone pretend to the masses that it was a great achievement.

Will be interesting to see how he goes, you could say he was just playing at it the first time, i don't think he will be turning up to be off the pace, he'll be setting off to win it

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #16879 on: January 27, 2018, 02:46:32 pm »
50th parkrun today. I may not be fast and I may not be as dedicated as most others, but I would no doubt have stayed in bed and done zero exercise on each of those 50 times had it not been for parkrun.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.