Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3473700 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #47680 on: May 15, 2018, 07:26:24 pm »
So the trailer for the Freddie Mercury film looks... good?  Kinda surprised to be honest.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6S9c5nnDd_s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6S9c5nnDd_s</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #47681 on: May 15, 2018, 08:57:50 pm »

I watched Revenge last night. French film bout well Revenge. Nothing ground breaking and seen it all before but still enjoyed it. The girl playing the lead helped as she was stunning.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6738136/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47682 on: May 16, 2018, 01:08:22 pm »
Watched Mulholland Drive for the first time in a couple of years last night and as always, it gets better with every viewing. Comfortably my favourite film of all time.

The half an hour or so from when Betty goes to the audition to the end of the Club Silencio scene is the best thing ever put on film.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #47683 on: May 17, 2018, 08:59:03 am »
Ready Player One is shit!
Continually on 11,420.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #47684 on: May 17, 2018, 09:42:52 am »
Ready Player One is shit!

Don't let Pete see you say that :D
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47685 on: May 17, 2018, 10:39:25 am »
Don't let Pete see you say that :D

I'm over it Bry

:)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47686 on: May 17, 2018, 06:10:59 pm »
Kidder's Gary Neville to my Roy Hodgson. He wants the assistent job.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #47687 on: May 17, 2018, 06:44:01 pm »
Dunno about all that - but it is, it is utter garbage wrapped in a little shiny bow.

Surprised Pete loved it to be honest. Always figured you'd be a bit more... what's the word?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47688 on: May 17, 2018, 07:18:15 pm »
Dunno about all that - but it is, it is utter garbage wrapped in a little shiny bow.

Surprised Pete loved it to be honest. Always figured you'd be a bit more... what's the word?

Miserable?

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #47689 on: May 17, 2018, 09:23:40 pm »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #47690 on: May 18, 2018, 02:31:18 am »
I watched Revenge last night. French film bout well Revenge. Nothing ground breaking and seen it all before but still enjoyed it. The girl playing the lead helped as she was stunning.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6738136/?ref_=nv_sr_1

If you like revenge films, I recommend "Confessions" (Kokuhaku). Better not checking IMDB otherwise you will stumble into spoilers when reading the plot. Just jump in with both feet.

I also recommend the trilogy. Most only know "Oldboy" but it is sandwiched between "Sympathy for Mr Vengence" and "Lady Vengence". Again, IMDB plot is loaded with spoilers so just jump in. If you like oldboy, asia cinema or revenge stories in general, then you really cannot go wrong.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #47691 on: May 18, 2018, 11:03:10 pm »
If you like revenge films, I recommend "Confessions" (Kokuhaku). Better not checking IMDB otherwise you will stumble into spoilers when reading the plot. Just jump in with both feet.

I also recommend the trilogy. Most only know "Oldboy" but it is sandwiched between "Sympathy for Mr Vengence" and "Lady Vengence". Again, IMDB plot is loaded with spoilers so just jump in. If you like oldboy, asia cinema or revenge stories in general, then you really cannot go wrong.

I'll take a look, Thanks  :wave

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47692 on: May 19, 2018, 12:15:14 am »
Very early days but my top 5 of 2018 so far are: Annihilation - A Quiet Place - Infinity War - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - First Match.

First Match seemingly flew massively under the radar of everybody, it's a Netflix original film that came out in March and hasn't even reached 1000 votes on IMDb yet. Thought it was a really good little film myself. It's set around a teenage girl who has recently been adopted after her drug dealing father was arrested, when he gets out she tries to reconcile with him and joins the boys wrestling team as her dad is an ex-wrestler himself. The sporting aspect of it is a fun watch but the performances of the girl and father and their strained relationship are what make it really good.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47693 on: May 19, 2018, 05:22:50 am »
just watched Revenge and Game Night. both had annoying retro synth soundtracks that felt completely out of place. its turning into a fad.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47694 on: May 19, 2018, 04:42:25 pm »
I'll take a look, Thanks  :wave

Yeah Babs is right. The Vengeance trilogy is damn good.  Park Chan-Wook is a mad genius.

I only watched number 3 in the trilogy (Lady Vengeance) recently after having it on my 'to watch' list for literally years and years.

Personally I loved Mr Vengeance and OldBoy is..well..Oldboy :)

Actually just read the whole synopsis and plot (including spoilers) from OldBoy and its reminded me just how fucking good the movie is/was.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47695 on: May 19, 2018, 04:48:04 pm »
Actually, reading about OldBoy again has given me the urge to watch some Park Chan-wook movies I've not yet seen

I'm downloading 'Snowpiercer' as I type. Looks great and can't believe I missed this a few years back.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47696 on: May 19, 2018, 08:28:14 pm »
Actually, reading about OldBoy again has given me the urge to watch some Park Chan-wook movies I've not yet seen

I'm downloading 'Snowpiercer' as I type. Looks great and can't believe I missed this a few years back.
If you haven't already, definitely watch 'The Handmaiden'. He's only a producer on Snowpiercer but it's still good (the director Bong Joon-Ho's latest film 'Okja' is worth a watch too, as is his old film 'The Host' and apparently 'Memories of a Murder' is a masterpiece but I've not seen it).

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47697 on: May 19, 2018, 08:34:11 pm »
Yeah, Okja's great, won't be everyone's cup of tea as it's such a unique film but I loved it.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47698 on: May 19, 2018, 08:39:41 pm »
If you haven't already, definitely watch 'The Handmaiden'. He's only a producer on Snowpiercer but it's still good (the director Bong Joon-Ho's latest film 'Okja' is worth a watch too, as is his old film 'The Host' and apparently 'Memories of a Murder' is a masterpiece but I've not seen it).

Ah yes thanks mate. He is only a producer on Snowpiercer your right.

Will check out Handmaiden for sure and the others you mention.

You've also reminded me to watch 'Memories of Murder'.  I got that recommended here (The Foreign film thread i think).  I have had it sat on my hard drive for yonks ready to go. That's getting watched 100% next time i have the house to myself.  These Savages with me wont entertain subtitled films :)

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47699 on: May 19, 2018, 08:48:35 pm »
Ah yes thanks mate. He is only a producer on Snowpiercer your right.

Will check out Handmaiden for sure and the others you mention.

You've also reminded me to watch 'Memories of Murder'.  I got that recommended here (The Foreign film thread i think).  I have had it sat on my hard drive for yonks ready to go. That's getting watched 100% next time i have the house to myself.  These Savages with me wont entertain subtitled films :)
The Handmaiden is definitely one to watch alone (or at least in company who know what to expect) - it's an erotic thriller and not ashamed of it. Mate of mine saw it at the cinema and said it was a coat in lap situation ;D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47700 on: May 19, 2018, 09:09:40 pm »
Deadpool 2 is boss!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #47701 on: May 20, 2018, 11:05:06 pm »
Just finished watching Bladerunner 2049 which I couldn’t catch at the cinema...

Genuinely astonishing film.... I was blown away by it...just wow..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #47702 on: May 21, 2018, 12:15:02 am »
Just finished watching Bladerunner 2049 which I couldn’t catch at the cinema...

Genuinely astonishing film.... I was blown away by it...just wow..

Yep. Great stuff. Cinematography is fantastic

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #47703 on: May 21, 2018, 08:25:20 am »
@JonnYNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #47704 on: May 21, 2018, 09:55:59 am »
Saw Lost in Translation last night. What a great film.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47705 on: May 21, 2018, 10:05:20 am »
Watched Cargo last night on Netflix.

It's a post apocalyptic zombie flick based in  the Australia outback with Martin Freeman.

Not a bad film.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:41:50 am by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #47706 on: May 21, 2018, 11:04:45 am »
Lots of hype around Game Night. Not as good as expected. Few genuine funny bits and not so original either.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47707 on: May 21, 2018, 11:21:30 am »
Saw Lost in Translation last night. What a great film.

Beautiful story. I was in Tokyo last year and went to a karaoke bar just to sing "More Than This" while rolling drunk.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47708 on: May 21, 2018, 11:28:42 am »
apparently 'Memories of a Murder' is a masterpiece but I've not seen it).

Yes it is. Fincher has never publicity acknowledged MoM, but the influence is there for everybody to see. I rate Zodiac, but MoM is one of my favorite films of all time.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47709 on: May 21, 2018, 11:46:11 am »
Yes it is. Fincher has never publicity acknowledged MoM, but the influence is there for everybody to see. I rate Zodiac, but MoM is one of my favorite films of all time.
That's going on my to watch list.

Probably watch it during this week to take my mind off the game. :D

Just seen that the remake of Fahrenheit 451 is floating about online.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47710 on: May 21, 2018, 12:10:51 pm »
That's going on my to watch list.

Probably watch it during this week to take my mind off the game. :D

Just seen that the remake of Fahrenheit 451 is floating about online.

Every Frame a Painting did a video essay of MoM's Ensemble Staging scenes. There's no spoilers in it, but maybe it is better to save it after you have seen the actual film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4seDVfgwOg
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47711 on: May 21, 2018, 12:12:41 pm »
Every Frame a Painting did a video essay of MoM's Ensemble Staging scenes. There's no spoilers in it, but maybe it is better to save it after you have seen the actual film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4seDVfgwOg
I'll save that link and watch it after the film,cheers.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47712 on: May 21, 2018, 01:30:14 pm »
Watched Face Off again last night, stone cold classic.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47713 on: May 21, 2018, 01:40:47 pm »

I love the Crime genre but I really, really struggled with Zodiac.

Not sure why as it’s pretty much critically acclaimed and loved by loads.

Love Fincher tooo and I really want to like it,  but can’t :(

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #47714 on: May 21, 2018, 01:46:48 pm »
Watched Face Off again last night, stone cold classic.

I miss 90's cinema, when even a lot of the bad films, were pretty great.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47715 on: May 21, 2018, 02:10:33 pm »
I miss 90's cinema, when even a lot of the bad films, were pretty great.

Almost all of the films of the 90s are bad to terrible, but there are more than a handful of great bad ones. The Rock is another

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47716 on: May 21, 2018, 02:18:40 pm »
Almost all of the films of the 90s are bad to terrible, but there are more than a handful of great bad ones. The Rock is another

Se7en (Fincher!!) was an incredible movie and one of my fav movies of all time alongside Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas and Heat.

Also Carlito’s Way and Casino

To be fair the 90’s produced some cracking Crime genre movies

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47717 on: May 21, 2018, 02:25:17 pm »
Se7en (Fincher!!) was an incredible movie and one of my fav movies of all time alongside Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas and Heat.

Agree mate - there are three good ones in your post ;)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47718 on: May 21, 2018, 02:49:46 pm »

Donnie Brasco as well.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #47719 on: May 21, 2018, 03:17:48 pm »
Almost all of the films of the 90s are bad to terrible

Whaaaat

Dunno if it's cause I was born in the 90's but it's pretty comfortably my favourite decade for films.  When acting was still more important than CGI but special effects had improved to an OK level.

I mean 1994 alone probably produced more great films than there's been in the last five years combined...