Author Topic: I'm going the chippy...  (Read 21490 times)

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
Re: I'm going the chippy...
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2017, 03:36:07 pm »
My nan lived on Kirkby Row so we used to go in there a lot when I was a kid, sausage dinner was one of our favourites. We moved to Southport in 1986 and the local Chinese did a fantastic sausage dinner with a fried egg on it. Our kid ended up moving to Bournemouth in about 1995 and could not get the local chippy to understand the sausage dinner. he was oining for one so much I actually got one from our chippy and took it down. My girlfriend at the time thought I was mental when I stopped at the chippy on our way down.

You drove all the way from Southport to Bournemouth with a sausage dinner in the car? Interesting choice of air freshener
Legacy fan

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2017, 03:45:20 pm »
My nan lived on Kirkby Row so we used to go in there a lot when I was a kid, sausage dinner was one of our favourites. We moved to Southport in 1986 and the local Chinese did a fantastic sausage dinner with a fried egg on it. Our kid ended up moving to Bournemouth in about 1995 and could not get the local chippy to understand the sausage dinner. he was oining for one so much I actually got one from our chippy and took it down. My girlfriend at the time thought I was mental when I stopped at the chippy on our way down.

Used to be an old chinese fella that owned it and when he was retiring, the couple who wanted to buy it would only buy it if he told them what the recipe was for the curry sauce was so he charged them extra and gave them the recipe. Type of place that no one would ever stop at if they were driving through cos the row of shops were shit and mostly boarded up but it was a great chippy.
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2017, 04:11:13 pm »
Ha, always forget supper (in the context of a chippy) is a Scottish term.

Salt & Sauce is an Edinburgh thing, surprised you were offered it in Aberdeen. The sauce is brown sauce mixed with extra vinegar and it's horrible.

Yeah, 100% was Aberdeen where they offered me S&S. We used to go up there every year back in the mid 90's. We had a couple of lasses on the go.  Loved it up there, great city.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2017, 04:15:32 pm »
Lord no,  one average  portion of chips can have up to 400-500 calories and that is without including any disgusting fatty extras like Doner Kebab or Sausages.

Calorie counting in the chippy is rather pointless. It's a delightful indulgence.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2017, 04:16:19 pm »
My missus does that too. She's from near Edinburgh but has spent a bit of time in Norn Iron, if that helps.

My girlfriend calls it the chippy as well. From just outside Edinburgh as well. They have some odd sayings up there.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2017, 04:17:09 pm »
Yeah, 100% was Aberdeen where they offered me S&S. We used to go up there every year back in the mid 90's. We had a couple of lasses on the go.  Loved it up there, great city.

The Granite Grannies City.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2017, 04:20:38 pm »

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2017, 04:43:22 pm »
Prefer it with an egg rather than pineapple.

Not a fan of tartare sauce whether from a sachet or a jar delivered by Jeeves.
Always get egg on my chin and then cant get it off.Have ye done that? Its like havin ye crack waxed peeling egg yolk off ye face

i can see why ye never see Burt Reynolds or Tom Selleck eating runny eggs in movies

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2017, 05:16:30 pm »
Always get egg on my chin and then cant get it off.Have ye done that? Its like havin ye crack waxed peeling egg yolk off ye face

i can see why ye never see Burt Reynolds or Tom Selleck eating runny eggs in movies

Alright Jimmy Hill.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2017, 06:38:52 pm »
:o

(I live there)

Nice one

Right mate. Just brought up google street view and its amazing how quickly I got my Aberdeen bearings after 25+ Years

The chippy was on Holburn Street. We used to stop on Great Western Road close by in a B&B.

Looking at the street map its now called Hass's Fish & Chips but I couldn't be sure if it was called that when we were there :)

Night-Club we used to frequent was called Mr Gee's  :wave
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:41:34 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2017, 07:01:53 pm »
Nice one

Right mate. Just brought up google street view and its amazing how quickly I got my Aberdeen bearings after 25+ Years

The chippy was on Holburn Street. We used to stop on Great Western Road close by in a B&B.

Looking at the street map its now called Hass's Fish & Chips but I couldn't be sure if it was called that when we were there :)

Night-Club we used to frequent was called Mr Gee's  :wave

Went to Hass's a few weeks ago - it's one of the better chippy's in Aberdeen, though pretty sure it's not been there 25 years. No doubt was a chippy there before under different owners.

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2017, 09:35:58 pm »
My girlfriend calls it a chippy, anyone else do that or is she just nuts?

Lived in Sheffield/Rotherham for six months, they called it.....well it was pronounced chip oyl.

I'm darn sarf now, chippies are generally shite, but what I really miss is Hollands pies.   Sodding Pukka pies, basically aren't.

TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2017, 10:10:05 pm »
Pudding, Chips, Peas and Gravy or
Fish Chips and Curry sauce
Pudding?

What the fuck's this, spotty dick?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2017, 10:12:54 pm »
Pudding?

What the fuck's this, spotty dick?

Steak Pudding or babbys yed in Wigan

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2017, 10:14:40 pm »
You drove all the way from Southport to Bournemouth with a sausage dinner in the car? Interesting choice of air freshener

Near killed me to not eat it on the way down  :)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2017, 10:19:55 pm »
Dear God,  with me being a strict no dead animal flesh eater I'm seeing some things in this thread which will give me nightmares.

I'm convinced some of you lot would eat a tin of Chappie, you weirdo's    :shocked

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2017, 10:21:21 pm »
A few have mentioned "scraps"   are we talking batter here?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2017, 10:25:11 pm »
You don't know what scraps are?

My god man..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2017, 10:34:08 pm »
You don't know what scraps are?

My god man..
It's batter isn't it?  It has to be.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2017, 10:34:36 pm »
Dear God,  with me being a strict no dead animal flesh eater I'm seeing some things in this thread which will give me nightmares.

I'm convinced some of you lot would eat a tin of Chappie, you weirdo's    :shocked

What flavour?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2017, 10:37:04 pm »

It's quite nice actually...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2017, 10:41:00 pm »
I have heard canned dog food has to be fit for human consumption and in the factories they have "tasters".

Seeing some of the things you's eat, sausages, burgers and all the rest of it you's have all ready more than likely eaten tons of horse meat so what's the difference ehh     :lickin

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2017, 10:45:09 pm »
Came back to the UK for the first time in 5 years.  First meal was fish & chips,  plain sausage,  battered sausage,  steak & kidney pie, mushy peas,  red curry and a chicken curry.  Salt and vinegar. Smashed the lot. 

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2017, 10:47:50 pm »
yeah mate.Its from when ye throw the fish in an the bits of batter mix that drop off float in the fat.Ye have to take em out so ye have ye scoop to clear them so they dont burn and turn the fat bitter

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2017, 11:03:55 pm »
Came back to the UK for the first time in 5 years.  First meal was fish & chips,  plain sausage,  battered sausage,  steak & kidney pie, mushy peas,  red curry and a chicken curry.  Salt and vinegar. Smashed the lot.

Either you're a massive fat c*nt the size of Shirley Crabtree, or you're lying.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2017, 11:06:26 pm »
I love batter on my chips, the crunchier the better.

I've not heard the word scraps used here on Tyneside before.  Ohh, and we say bread bun, not barm and sandwich not butty.

Something else I will sometimes buy when in a chip shop is a pickled egg    :lickin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2017, 11:07:10 pm »
My thoughts exactly, but I didn't like to point it out haha.

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2017, 11:19:41 pm »

Neither! True story. My local chippie is the best and after five years of missing it I couldn't decide what to have so had it all.

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2017, 11:21:10 pm »
My thoughts exactly, but I didn't like to point it out haha.

You stick to carrots mate! Imagine gorging down a smorgasbord of vegetables,  yummy!

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2017, 11:33:36 pm »
I work with a girl from St Helens and she eats that. Pie barm and pea wet. Basically a pie in a bread roll with mushy pea juice on. Not for me. Love some of the regional delights on offer in chippies. When I worked in Crewe 'smack bap' was very popular - basically a potato fritter inside a bread roll. They were also mad for battered sausages around those parts. They can't hold a candle to Scottish chippies though. I saw a man order a battered donner kebab once. Beyond grim.

Large fish (not arsed which species) - just salt and lemon wedge if they have it, small chips salt and swimming in vinegar and pot of mushy peas or sometimes curry and a can of dandelion and burdock. Delicious.

Pea wet is a Wigan thing, along with the babby yed mentioned by Rob1966

Minted peas are very common in Nottingham chippies
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2017, 12:04:15 am »
Is black peas a Wigan thing? Ive them somewhere and the didnt have eyes in them.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2017, 12:06:13 am »
every weekend when id be out with mates,id eat about 6 or 7 double cheeseburgers,and that was when i was skinny as fuck compared to what i am now,but doing a lot of training.It was a thing me an my mate would do pissed,to see who could eat the most and id always win.That was when i was training more than a boxer though.

Everytime id go into maccies in town at aboot 3 in the morning everyone would be like ''How the fuck can you eat all them.The fucking size of ye'' an my mates would be like well he fucking can

My record was 13 double cheeseburgers

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2017, 12:10:18 am »
Thirteen double cheeseburgers Jeremy? Thirteen? That's insane!

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2017, 12:11:53 am »
every weekend when id be out with mates,id eat about 6 or 7 double cheeseburgers,and that was when i was skinny as fuck compared to what i am now,but doing a lot of training.It was a thing me an my mate would do pissed,to see who could eat the most and id always win.That was when i was training more than a boxer though.

Everytime id go into maccies in town at aboot 3 in the morning everyone would be like ''How the fuck can you eat all them.The fucking size of ye'' an my mates would be like well he fucking can

My record was 13 double cheeseburgers

I've managed 7 before, and I felt hungover the next day and I'd only had 2 pints. All the salt I reckon!

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2017, 12:15:12 am »
Thirteen double cheeseburgers Jeremy? Thirteen? That's insane!
when id normally do the 7,the rule was you had to eat aboot at least 3 of them in one go .Wed be in stitches and our jaws would be killing.Snot bubbles everywhere

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2017, 12:16:01 am »
I've managed 7 before, and I felt hungover the next day and I'd only had 2 pints. All the salt I reckon!
Yeah i get something similar when i over eat before bed

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2017, 12:16:56 am »
Battered beef Burger, large chips and gravy.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2017, 12:19:26 am »
My hero ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7SDU7-4VBfY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7SDU7-4VBfY</a>

idve beaten him back in the day ;D

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2017, 12:28:02 am »
Is black peas a Wigan thing? Ive them somewhere and the didnt have eyes in them.

Parched peas, another name for them, are more of a Lancashire thing in general.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2017, 12:32:59 am »
You stick to carrots mate! Imagine gorging down a smorgasbord of vegetables,  yummy!
My body is a Temple    :)