Author Topic: The Run Home and CL Qualification  (Read 211288 times)

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Run Home and CL Qualification
« Reply #240 on: February 26, 2018, 07:20:35 pm »
You reckon? I think it would be madness not to rest at least a couple of the front three.  Given how tight the race for top four looks like it'll be, we probably need them for almost every league game if possible, and however many remaining Cl games we have after Porto. Why play them and risk injury in a game that's pretty much all but won? Especially when we've got the mancs a few day later.

Yeah, maybe. I'd like to give Salah and Bob a rest (personally), but I'd be surprised of Klopp rests both.  Thinking 'out loud'... I don't think Klopp will play Ings and Solenke together in the CL knockout stages.  Maybe Ox for Salah and Ings/Solenke for Bob?  Still, that assumes Mane plays and it stretches the midfield options.  Not sure, am I missing another option?   He may rest VVD but we have seasoned and competent CBs to fill in.  Plus, Klopp has said he spent time rotating (early on) so the squad should be fully fresh for the rest of the 2 run ins. 

On the midfield, Kloop seems to think both Lallana and Hendo either aren't fully fit (Lallana) or aren't able to play more than a match per week (Hendo).  On top of that, Can's a card away from CL suspension.  Since we have 3 games in 8 days (Newcastle, Porto, Scum), there's some balancing Klopp will have to do beyond the front 3.

I see your point(s), I'm just not sure Klopp is ready to put out a squad that has too much overhaul. 

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: February 26, 2018, 07:30:02 pm »
Yeah, maybe. I'd like to give Salah and Bob a rest (personally), but I'd be surprised of Klopp rests both.  Thinking 'out loud'... I don't think Klopp will play Ings and Solenke together in the CL knockout stages.  Maybe Ox for Salah and Ings/Solenke for Bob?  Still, that assumes Mane plays and it stretches the midfield options.  Not sure, am I missing another option?   He may rest VVD but we have seasoned and competent CBs to fill in.  Plus, Klopp has said he spent time rotating (early on) so the squad should be fully fresh for the rest of the 2 run ins. 

On the midfield, Kloop seems to think both Lallana and Hendo either aren't fully fit (Lallana) or aren't able to play more than a match per week (Hendo).  On top of that, Can's a card away from CL suspension.  Since we have 3 games in 8 days (Newcastle, Porto, Scum), there's some balancing Klopp will have to do beyond the front 3.

I see your point(s), I'm just not sure Klopp is ready to put out a squad that has too much overhaul.
You may be right about Klopp not wanting to give the squad that much of an overhaul mate, and in truth I'm probably applying my own ideas about squad usage, when his might be completely different! I still think we should rotate as much as is possible though, and the fact that you're struggling to think of options in some positions just exemplifies how thin some of our options are and hence how much we should rest them if and when we can.

I personally think that we'd be alright with Solanke and Ings up front - I mean we are five up, at home - but you may well be correct and Klopp will prefer experience. I'd play 'em both though, and maybe Woodburn too! It would be great experience for them and, as Jack said, our squad cover options need gametime too if, god forbid, we need to call on them further down the line.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #242 on: February 26, 2018, 08:25:28 pm »
People rightly suggesting a changed eleven for the Porto game however is the Portuguese eleven being overlooked? Might they bring their own youth/squad players?
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: February 26, 2018, 08:53:53 pm »
To me the squad would be:

Karius
Clyne.    Matip.  Van Djik.  Moreno
              Henderson
     Milner.           Lallana
          Woodburn. 
    Solanke.        Ings                 . 
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2018, 09:05:12 pm »
To me the squad would be:

Karius
Clyne.    Matip.  Van Djik.  Moreno
              Henderson
     Milner.           Lallana
          Woodburn. 
    Solanke.        Ings                 . 
Clyne may come off the bench, as i doubt he's ready to start & last a game. So Gomez, then Clyne for me.

I see Mane getting a game, so that he can continue his improvement and to inject some pace into the side.
Would Woodburn and Solanke start? Again, i doubt it, but i would back them to both play.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2018, 10:17:09 pm »
Don't see Klopp rotating heavily. Will want to maintain the momentum and match sharpness. Guess he will bring in Gomez and Moreno. Whoever is intended to partner VVD against Man Utd will need to have played at least one of the games against Newcastle or Porto. So perhaps Matip against Newcastle and Lovren against both Porto and Man Utd.
In terms of the front 3, guessing all 3 to start and 2 of the three to be yanked after 60 mins. We have had a 10 day break and after Porto we have 1 game per week for the next 3 weeks. Quarters are in April.
Expect Porto to be a low intensity game and see how game progresses. Midfield will be rotated depending who wishes to start against United.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2018, 10:56:15 pm »
How often do we actually play well though when we've given the first choice players a rest? Maybe just my imagination but feels like a lot of the time in the recent past we've done that it doesn't work out in our favour.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #247 on: February 26, 2018, 10:57:33 pm »
How often do we actually play well though when we've given the first choice players a rest? Maybe just my imagination but feels like a lot of the time in the recent past we've done that it doesn't work out in our favour.

who cares if we play well we're winning 5-0

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2018, 11:00:19 pm »
who cares if we play well we're winning 5-0

Sorry I meant it feels like in recent times where we've given first choice players a rest for a game we don't play well in the following game (i.e. the one they have been rested for). We conversely quite often look tired and like the players aren't on it, but maybe I'm imagining it. I can definitely recall it happening a few times in recent times though.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2018, 11:02:13 pm »
Sorry I meant it feels like in recent times where we've given first choice players a rest for a game we don't play well in the following game (i.e. the one they have been rested for). We conversely quite often look tired and like the players aren't on it, but maybe I'm imagining it. I can definitely recall it happening a few times in recent times though.

Oh okay... but still meh... they just played phenomenally well after a 10 day break
Just don't see whats to be gained by playing them - one less game in the legs, one less chance of injury, one game closer to winning the thing

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2018, 11:06:14 pm »
I think Klopp would see not playing the front three as sending a message to the rest of the team that the tie is over and done so they don’t have to play as hard or as well as they have been. 

It’s a tricky situation for a manager as you want to give your best players some rest but don’t want to do anything that will stop the momentum especially when we are playing so well and have incredibly important games coming up. 

I have no idea what that means. Have you actually been observing Klopp as Liverpool manager? He's been rotating all season and playing the team he thinks is right for each game. If Klopp drops one of Salah, Firmino or Mane whoever comes in isn't going to not take it seriously. They'll be all out to stake a claim in the first team squad for the run-in and CL campaign.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2018, 11:07:11 pm »

It's your imagination.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2018, 11:20:15 pm »
You can play the counter factual... imagine he plays all 3 and one of them gets an injury that puts him out for the year - there would be 20 pages of vitriol on here by the nights end.
And you could argue rightly so... we're 5 (FIVE) away goals up... you could pick our weakest team from our registered CL squad and we'd still go through
There's no argument for playing any vital players in the Porto home leg - the front 3 and VVD should be nowhere near the starting line up.

Bang on this. It's done. I imagine we see starts for klavan, moreno, lallana, ings and solanke. The perfect opportunity for them to show what they can do, and that in itself should see us field a motivated and capable team

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #253 on: February 26, 2018, 11:31:53 pm »
stoke away we won 3-0 with salah/coutinho on the bench
burnley won 2-1 no firmino/salah
mane has been dropped/rested sporadically throughout the season as his form has waned

Everton is the only game it went tits up which was more due to ref and not being clinical than actual performance. (See 0-0 with WBA days later with our best XI and 'fab four' playing)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:35:58 pm by MerseysideBrum »
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2018, 12:08:21 am »
Don't see Klopp rotating heavily. Will want to maintain the momentum and match sharpness. Guess he will bring in Gomez and Moreno. Whoever is intended to partner VVD against Man Utd will need to have played at least one of the games against Newcastle or Porto. So perhaps Matip against Newcastle and Lovren against both Porto and Man Utd.
In terms of the front 3, guessing all 3 to start and 2 of the three to be yanked after 60 mins. We have had a 10 day break and after Porto we have 1 game per week for the next 3 weeks. Quarters are in April.
Expect Porto to be a low intensity game and see how game progresses. Midfield will be rotated depending who wishes to start against United.

I'd be surprised if we started Salah and Firmino against Porto, and stunned if we started all 3. It would seem like an unnecessary risk to me. The tie is over, Porto aren't going to score 6. We don't want to lose in a way which derails form etc but we shouldn't need to play Salah and Firmino to beat Porto in any event.

I'd keep Karius in the team as he's unlikely to get injured and every game he plays gets him more entrenched. If Clyne is fit to start it's a good low pressure competitive game to give him a run out in. With no Moreno there's not much choice at LB, Robertson will start. Might see Gomez get a rare game at CB, and would expect him to play Lovren if he wants to play Matip and VVD against United. Again, why risk one of them taking a knock if they're our first choice pair for such an important game?

Injuries and fitness mean we can't rotate too much in midfield either. We don't have Grujic and I can't see him throwing Ejaria a game, so it's going to be three of Lallana/Milner/Hendo/Wijnaldum/Ox/Can. Hardly resting or playing a weakened team with any combination of them. I suspect we're likely to try to use our highest energy midfield against United (Wij, Ox, Can) so would have thought that fitness permitting we might see Hendo, Milner and Lallana against Porto.

Up top again we're not running over with options. I'd hope he'd rest Salah and Bobby, so play Mane with Solanke and Ings. Both the latter two would welcome a chance to impress and Solanke in particular badly needs a goal.

Rests TAA, VVD, Matip, Ox, Wij, Can, Salah and Firmino for the United game whilst still playing a very competitive side.

If we perform well and win, brilliant. If we don't it's not the end of the world, and frankly the players should be up for the united game whatever the outcome of this tie.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:14:22 am by JerseyKloppite »

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2018, 12:25:19 am »
I forgot Lallana will start this game

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2018, 12:31:53 am »
that said, I would not be surprised if he sends out a team sprinkled with first-team regulars and younger players. We might see 1 maybe 2  Firmino, Salah Mane, with the others on the bench.

We will see at least one of Virgil, Matip, Lovren.... Klavan is probably going to be playing.

Moreno, Clyne and Lallana could probably play. Maybe Henderson, Maybe Wijnaldum, Can or Milner

Mignolet or Ward might play. Whoever, we put against Porto, its still going to be a strong side, and I doubt Porto will be able to score 5 and keep us out.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:34:58 am by Mr_Shane »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2018, 12:33:24 am »
Maybe im nuts but i dont see Jurgen making wholesale changes for Porto. 3 or 4 maybe max and then the subs earlier might be his current version of rotation.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: February 27, 2018, 01:30:27 am »
I imagine that Lallana will start for sure,Moreno as well, maybe Klavan as well, haven't seen him in a while.

Karius

Gomez
Lovren
Klavan
Moreno

Henderson
Lallana
Wijnaldum

Mane
Solanke
Ings

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #259 on: February 27, 2018, 07:11:14 am »
Can’t see the Arsenal Manchester City game going ahead on Thursday if this weather continues. Would give City a week off as opposed to two and half days meaning they should be better prepared for Chelsea.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2018, 07:31:24 am »
I imagine that Lallana will start for sure,Moreno as well, maybe Klavan as well, haven't seen him in a while.

Karius

Gomez
Lovren
Klavan
Moreno

Henderson
Lallana
Wijnaldum

Mane
Solanke
Ings

I’d expect Mignolet to be given a game and Can instead of Henderson as Can will probably be rested against Newcastle.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2018, 07:38:15 am »
I imagine there will be some cancellations coming up with the weather. We're due for heavy snow on Tuesday and also Friday into Saturday. Every thing could grind to a halt this weekend.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2018, 08:10:49 am »
I imagine there will be some cancellations coming up with the weather. We're due for heavy snow on Tuesday and also Friday into Saturday. Every thing could grind to a halt this weekend.
Wouldn’t be too bad for us, teams with fa cup replays however. Spurs Rochdale must be under threat. Fixture pile up?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2018, 08:15:01 am »

Hopefully up here gets less snow later in the week and we can get our game played and points on the board. Spurs are at home and United are down in London so would be good if theirs are both called off. Chelsea up at City but hopefully going to get beat anyway  ;D

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2018, 08:23:08 am »
Lets just focus on Newcastle and let the other fixtures take their natural course.

We tend to not perform when the fanbase starts looking too far ahead!

Offline xRedmanLFCx

• Legacy Fan
  • Of the glory, round the fields, of Anfield Road!
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2018, 08:24:47 am »

Did Can not just serve his CL suspension?
I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside… Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2018, 08:32:47 am »
Lets just focus on Newcastle and let the other fixtures take their natural course.

Rawk has no influence on the teams results. Who do you think we’ll beat in the champions league final?

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2018, 08:45:00 am »

Err...  have you read the thread title?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2018, 08:45:50 am »
I’d expect Mignolet to be given a game and Can instead of Henderson as Can will probably be rested against Newcastle.

Can’t see Mignolet getting a game.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2018, 08:50:18 am »
Can’t see Mignolet getting a game.

There’s not much point as it’ll be the only game between now and the end of the season he would get. Klopp might just feel 5-0 up there’s no risk in it.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2018, 09:31:01 am »
Rawk has no influence on the teams results. Who do you think we’ll beat in the champions league final?
One of Real, Barca, Bayern, City

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2018, 09:40:57 am »
Which one?
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2018, 09:53:04 am »

Correct.

Regarding the game against Porto, I suspect Porto won't even put out a full strength team as they want to make sure they win the league (although they play on Sunday after our game compared to Saturday for us). So we should be able to rest some key players and still win the game.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:55:19 am by Caston »

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #273 on: February 27, 2018, 10:01:52 am »

Yes in the away game to Porto.
#JFT97

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2018, 10:04:47 am »
Mignolet

Gomez
Lovren
Klavan
Moreno

Henderson
Lallana
Wijnaldum

Ox
Solanke
Ings
#JFT97

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2018, 10:11:18 am »

Karius

Gomez
Lovren
Klavan
Moreno

Henderson
Lallana
Wijnaldum

Mane
Solanke
Ings

Apart from perhaps in the front 3 and Klavan, majority of those players are vying to be starters anyway.

I'd have thought it'd be in our best interests to have Clyne, Moreno, Lallana, Ings and Solanke up to match fitness and speed so that we can remain competitive in the run in. I think Milner and Gini are more likely to start at CM with Hendo and Can being the starting 2, perhaps alongside AOC for the Man Utd game. Something like:

Karius/Ward, Clyne, Klavan, Lovren, Moreno, Milner, Gini, Lallana, Woodburn, Ings, Solanke

- That's hardly resting anyway. It is still a good side that for the most part is full of players that have consistently started games for us. Clyne, Lovren, Moreno, Milner, Gini, Lallana are arguably regular starters when fit (or have been up until some recent signings). We can afford to try something different up front seeing that we don't need that many goals for this tie.

Offline invader_gir

• Anny Roader
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2018, 10:28:55 am »
Manchester City.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2018, 10:38:15 am »
Resting a player is one issue. Rotating for fear of injury (unless as a result of being overplayed) does not come into the equation. A player can get hurt at training so it has no bearing on selection. Momentum and match sharpness is imperative at this stage of the season.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2018, 10:38:20 am »

I thought that but the match against west ham proved me wrong. But I agree with you, I've seen it in the past. It's like we lost momentum.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2018, 10:47:02 am »
Resting a player is one issue. Rotating for fear of injury (unless as a result of being overplayed) does not come into the equation. A player can get hurt at training so it has no bearing on selection. Momentum and match sharpness is imperative at this stage of the season.

I imagine there is a higher chance of injury in a competitive 90 minute game over a properly managed training session.

Also not one single regular first team player is going to lose any sharpness not playing a midweek match. However it could give some of the squad players some added sharpness if they are needed which is imperative at this stage of the season.

The reason you give seem more clutch at straw to back up an already formed idea.