Author Topic: Your personal favourite players-ever.  (Read 14158 times)

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Your personal favourite players-ever.
« on: January 13, 2018, 02:47:32 pm »
Simple.  Which players have you most loved, admired, respected?  Obviously in most cases these will have been skilled and talented, but there may be other reasons why these players are special to you (if there are personal reasons please say.... also say why you love these guys).    I think we should all nominate 2 players, one of ours, and someone from another club.

I have the easy task of going first.

Both players wore a green 7 on their shorts.

Each has had, in my opinion, the highest loyalty, morality and honour of any player in my lifetime.  Both incredibly talented, both the finest human beings possible.

So I give you:

1. King Kenny  (Kenny Dalglish)
2. The King of Kings (Henrik Larsson)

Over to you lot.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Your personal favourite players-ever.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 02:53:21 pm »
The handsome Italian goalkeepers:

Buffon
Pagiluca
Toldo
Peruzzi
De Sanctis
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 02:54:41 pm »
Steven Gerrard for being LFC during my peak years!

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:55:42 pm »
Quality of replies would suggest this isn't a good thread then  :(

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 02:56:45 pm »
Our club: John Barnes. So many to pick from, but he was the one lighting up the world when I was at an age when boys have heroes. And this was before I even realised what he was going through as a black player in England at the time. As I've grown older I've understood what that meant and the courage he showed in dealing with it, which has just added to his legendary status in my eyes.

Non-LFC: Maradona. What's not to love? A cross between Messi and 'dinho on the pitch, fucking rock'n'roll off it, massive lefty. I love him.

Offline Gazza-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 02:57:06 pm »
1, Gerrard
2, Torres
3, Alonso

Non LFC- Henry,Guti and Puyol

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 02:59:31 pm »
LFC Robbie Fowler

Non LFC Robbie Fowler (when he played for Leeds or City)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 02:59:33 pm »
1. Ian Rush - my favourite Liverpool player ever, and he's Welsh, so gets extra bonus points for that.
2. Robert Lewandowski - probably my favourite current non LFC player, and has been for years, best striker in Europe.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 03:57:31 pm »
Non-LFC, Bergkamp. Loved his grace on the ball

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 03:57:52 pm »
LFC Robbie Fowler

Non LFC Robbie Fowler (when he played for Leeds or City)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 04:04:39 pm »
Gerrard and Xavi.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 04:12:44 pm »
LFC- Gerrard all day long. Underated in some ways. At least from a technical point of view. As god a passer as any in his prime but he wouldn't be in the arguement when people talk about that.

Non-LFC Christiano Ronaldo. Has won me the mosyt money but more then that it is seeing how hard he has worked to be in the discussion as one of the greatest of all time and defo top 3 of his generation.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 04:36:53 pm »
Simple.  Which players have you most loved, admired, respected?  Obviously in most cases these will have been skilled and talented, but there may be other reasons why these players are special to you (if there are personal reasons please say.... also say why you love these guys).    I think we should all nominate 2 players, one of ours, and someone from another club.

I have the easy task of going first.

Both players wore a green 7 on their shorts.

Each has had, in my opinion, the highest loyalty, morality and honour of any player in my lifetime.  Both incredibly talented, both the finest human beings possible.

So I give you:

1. King Kenny  (Kenny Dalglish)
2. The King of Kings (Henrik Larsson)

Over to you lot.

King Kenny and Larsson - what a forward line up that would be for a dream Celtic XI. Always wish he'd been a Liverpool player. Growing up in the 90s and 00s, it's obviously Gerrard for me. If I'd grown up in the 80s, well as a fellow Scot, it would have to be Kenny himself! But really, when I watch videos of him, I am in awe of John Barnes. He's have been the player I'd most like to have been.

Too easy, so for non-Liverpool players, my favourite has to be Dennis Bergkamp. True genius, an artist on the field - nothing more to be said, a far more fascinating player than your Messis and Ronaldos.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:40:07 pm by mattD »

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 04:47:52 pm »
My non-Liverpool favourite was probably Javier Zanetti, from watching Football Italia as a kid. He cold play pretty much anywhere to a high standard, and did it to a ridiculous age too. A few others from 90s Italian football - loved Batistuta (that man could properly SMACK a ball), Beppe Signori was class, and always quite liked Recoba after having watched those two ridiculous goals he scored on his debut.

Closer to home, I obviously have huge respect for Stevie and God, but (perhaps oddly, I'm not sure) have always reserved my biggest love for Hyppia, Agger and Lucas, probably in that order.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 04:56:53 pm »
Sorry mate -  there are so many.  I am old enough to have seen all our Immortals - men who were special because they gave us our first taste of glory, who took our breath away and lifted our hearts, so I can't just pick one.

And non LFC - Duncan Edwards.  The finest and most complete player I have ever seen.  Perfection.  Even at his age he had no fault in his game.  A tragedy he died so young.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 05:02:23 pm »
Sorry mate -  there are so many.  I am old enough to have seen all our Immortals - men who were special because they gave us our first taste of glory, who took our breath away and lifted our hearts, so I can't just pick one.

And non LFC - Duncan Edwards.  The finest and most complete player I have ever seen.  Perfection.  Even at his age he had no fault in his game.  A tragedy he died so young.

From what I've read of him, and the small clips available, he could of, and maybe should of, lived to become the greatest Man Utd and England player of all time. If things had worked out differently, perhaps it would have been him lifting the Jules Rimet trophy in '66 I wonder?

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 05:07:55 pm »
Robbie Fowler:
When UTD were dominating english football and we were in a bit of a rut, out of nowhere came this snotty nose little scally who could finish like jimmy greaves, he was a revelation and if not for Shearer was the best striker in english football in just his second season, he made me feel good, With him in the team we could beat anybody. I was proud of him. obsessed even.

Johan Cruyff:
Before my time, iconic, mad genius. the only player to have a turn named after him as well. (not really, its robbie fowler at leeds and city).

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 05:08:57 pm »
Xabi Alonso.

The treacherous bastard.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 05:10:35 pm »
Liverpool.

Barnes.
Gerrard.
Suarez.

Non Liverpool.

Redondo.
Boban.
Figo.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 05:13:58 pm »
Gerrard and David Silva

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 05:26:23 pm »
This may seem a bit odd but non-Liverpool is David Ginola. Loved watching him play footy.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 06:09:51 pm »
Everyone:

Roy Keane - top class player who epitomised Utd back then.  I think many of his teammates were more afraid of him if they put in a bad performance than they were Fergie.
Del Piero - class on the ball, swanned about doing not a lot for most of the game then exploded into life with something special
Totti - Mr Roma.  Played up front, centre forward, wing, midfield, and managed to do so at the top level for years.
Shearer - clinical, didn't get flustered, could score from pretty much anywhere, great shot.
Xavi - I love watching him play.  Flicks, turns, but above all awareness of where everyone else is on the pitch.  Some of the stuff he pulled off with Messi was breath-taking.
Messi - Remember the first time I watched him score -that- goal against Getafe where he dribbled from the half way line.  Enough said, love how he's developed his game to the point where he swans around the pitch at walking pace yet somehow manages to score at least a goal a game.
Oli Kahn - looked absolutely off his head most games, but was an absolute tank in goal for years.  You'd have to hit something special to get it past him, and he exuded confidence.
Filippo Inzaghi - bit of a strange one this, but I remember watching him in Inter Milan's colours and he was banging them in all the time.  Wouldn't survive in modern football, but he was great at what he did and a deadly poacher.
Mehmet Scholl - nobody seems to remember this guy, but he was Mr Bayern for about 15 years, scored winners in a CL final and was fun to watch.
Mihajlović - bit of a liability in defence when I watched him for Lazio at centre back, likely because he clearly spent all his time at training practicing free kicks.  He frequently tried to score directly from corners, would smash it from anywhere and got a wicked bend on it.  You don't see many CBs who are great at free kicks so this name stands out.

LFC:
Jari Litmanen - fun to watch, he's one of those forgotten names who will be well behind Stevie when people remember this era, but he was solid when I saw him, worked hard on the pitch and seemed to be a good ambassador for the club.

AFC:
Vieira - we haven't had a player like him since.  Would bollock his own team when they were shit, was tall, powerful and was as comfortable smashing into tackles as he was doing pirouettes.  Drove the whole team forward and watching him next to Petit winning the league, whilst conceding about 14 goals all season was amazing.

Online Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 06:19:48 pm »
LFC: Xabi

Non-LFC: Iniesta
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 06:23:49 pm »
John Barnes - as said above, he was my hero at a time when I was a young kid. I was a devastating left winger too. :D

Non Liverpool- tough one, I’m too one eyed to have truly enjoyed rival players in our league. Will have to give it some thought. Probably one of the Arsenal lot from the early Wenger era.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 06:28:17 pm »
Kenny or sure.

I also really liked John Barnes. But I also had a huge soft spot for Steve McMahon.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 06:30:57 pm »
As a kid it was joey jones and Kevin keegan ...loved cruyff in the 74 world cup and then Kenny .

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 06:36:53 pm »
Non LFC:

Hristo Stoichkov

A footballing genius and absolute nutter in equal measure.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 06:37:44 pm »
Quality of replies would suggest this isn't a good thread then  :(

I was serious
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 06:39:02 pm »
Liverpool: Gerrard, Suarez, Torres, Alonso, Hamann, Gary Mc, Barnes, Rush, Souness, and obviously Kenny

Non Liverpool: Maradonna, Iniesta, Pirlo, Brazil Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Laudrup, Matthaus, Maldini, Albertini, Baresi, Gullit, Rijkaard, Van Basten

I loved that Milan side of the late 80's. It's such a pity that Kenny's Liverpool side never got the chance to cross paths with them in the European cup because of the ban   

What a tussle that would have been. 2 truly all time great teams packed with quality from 1 to 11
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 07:01:38 pm »
LFC: Luis Suarez. Too young for Kenny&co, Suarez is the most gifted player I've seen in a red shirt.

Non-LFC: Philip Lahm. Not the most skilled player ever but such a reliable guy. Lived in Germany when he came through and instantly liked him.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 07:04:44 pm »
Brazilian Ronaldo back when he really played football before his injuries. As soon as he got the ball, everything was possible. He was just magic, it was as if the game was made for him and every week he would do something astonishing to show us everything we couldn't even imagine doing on a pitch.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 07:10:18 pm »
For us, keeping it to players I've seen play, it's difficult to make a decision when there are a lot of options, but I would go with Fowler.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 07:16:50 pm »
I almost forgot my idol ROMARIO.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 07:17:29 pm »
Amazed his name hasn't been mentioned more in here... Ronaldinho

Never seen anyone more entertaining play the game

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2018, 07:30:35 pm »
These two utter geniuses right here, insanely talented and humble gents who also wore the famous liverbird on their chests...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/M7Fb1cI4SKI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/M7Fb1cI4SKI</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oyDhiGjIJHE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oyDhiGjIJHE</a>
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 07:38:05 pm »
Liverpool; Gerrard, Alonso, Agger, Hyypia, Suarez

Non-Liverpool; Messi, Modric, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Lewandowski

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 07:39:29 pm »
Yeah, Litmanen is a good shout. I remember being pretty excited when we signed him

I know he had his injuries, but I was still surprised when Ged let him go.

He was only 30 when we signed him like.
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 07:40:43 pm »
Mihajlović - bit of a liability in defence when I watched him for Lazio at centre back, likely because he clearly spent all his time at training practicing free kicks.  He frequently tried to score directly from corners, would smash it from anywhere and got a wicked bend on it.  You don't see many CBs who are great at free kicks so this name stands out.

Surprised to see an Arsenal fan mention him given his racist spat with Vieira!

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 07:43:30 pm »
Loved Hagi and Stoichkov early 90s up to and including the World Cup in 94, amazing footballers.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 07:45:01 pm »
Fowler, Rush, Barnes, Gerrard, McManaman, Suarez, Agger etc from us.

Batistuta, Messi, Maradona, Kluivert, Romario, Zidane, original Ronaldo, Figo, Suker, Mijatovic, Stoichkov, Kostadinov, Laudrup, Maldini, Van Basten, Moeller etc