Author Topic: RAWK's Bloggers' Musings, Wisdom & General Positivity for 2019 & beyond!  (Read 57678 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: 24/7's Daily Musings, Wisdom & General Positivity for 2018
« Reply #40 on: January 9, 2018, 12:09:13 pm »
?

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 9, 2018, 12:09:51 pm »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 9, 2018, 12:42:00 pm »
It leads to positivity...

Besserwisser ;D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 06:16:35 am »
January 10th

"Spend a lot of time talking to customers face to face. You'd be amazed how many companies don't listen to their customers." - Ross Perot

Okay, I won't get on my work soapbox with this one cos I'd rant on for years about how true the above is because it's a daily challenge in my line of work - and it doesn't seem to get any better with time! In fact, the further into the digital age we go, the more impersonal B2C interaction seems to become.

Whenever I encounter an automated service, I tend to avoid using it unless I am struggling for time (e.g. automatic ticket machines at train stations = Good Thing, whereas at Tesco I still prefer the human touch at the checkout rather than those insanely irritating beepy scanner self-service machines, which always require the intervention of a human being anyway!)

Tesco is not a bad example, actually, because their checkout staff are encouraged to engage in conversation, and not necessarily the banal type you get from the barbers about holidays or "something for the weekend?" sort of chit-chat (the oldies amongst us will recognise that phrase! ;)) Likewise, whenever I ring my bank, I press the # key as soon as the IVR kicks in.......because I prefer a human being to help me with stuff that personal.........

I appreciate the irony of saying this on an online forum, however it is still as true today as it has ever been - nothing beats the human touch (no laughing at the back please!).

So, unless you're travelling on the Tube today, where conversation is forbidden it seems, see if you can have a real, honest conversation with someone who doesn't have their earphones in and glued to an iPhone.....

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 08:28:33 am »
I have been checking in here regularly, but still nothing about André Wisdom.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 09:23:24 am »
I have been checking in here regularly, but still nothing about André Wisdom.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 04:09:28 pm »
The one today is particularly poignant.  :sad

Keep it up Jim, this thread has been great so far.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 04:29:52 pm »

My Satnav once tried to navigate me to Kingston in Jamaica rather than Dundee from Newcastle. So there was no point in recalculating as the new route was better and sunnier and had more beaches, booze and a relaxed attitude to recreational drug use.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2018, 05:05:48 pm »

So, unless you're travelling on the Tube today, where conversation is forbidden it seems, see if you can have a real, honest conversation with someone who doesn't have their earphones in and glued to an iPhone.....

If they have bright red Beats, walk on by. My commute is my only quiet time with an infant at home. ;D

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 06:03:11 pm »
I now share a commute with an old friend from college. He sits next to me and talks to me every day. I wish he'd fuck off and get the next one...
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 06:25:37 pm »
Oh Jake, you might be the best source of intelligent conversation he has all day. He might look forward to it. Imagine the opposite of your post from his viewpoint?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2018, 06:39:12 pm »
I now share a commute with an old friend from college. He sits next to me and talks to me every day. I wish he'd fuck off and get the next one...

Bike.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2018, 08:23:23 pm »
Besserwisser ;D

Haha.  I had to look that up, so obviously not!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2018, 09:59:57 pm »
Bike.

Maybe he's simply trying to be friendly?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:39 pm »
IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2018, 09:25:42 am »
January 11th

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage." - Victor Kiam

Ah, good ol' Vic, remember him?

Now, if only "...liked so much..." was the only criteria I needed to buy the football club I worship!

In all seriousness though, when it comes to obstacles standing in the way of my realistic goals, I no longer see them as such. Instead I look for the opportunity to grow and develop in a way that the obstacle is removed and that's about finding the opportunities that exist - or creating the opportunity - or at least giving it a bloody good go.

What opportunities can you see today that will help you overcome the obstacles that you face in your life? Personally or professionally. Opportunity knocks....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:27:50 am by 24/7 »

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2018, 10:12:01 am »
I have long since realised that all the obstacles in my life can be overcome by taking the opportunity to win the lottery - still waiting, like.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2018, 07:17:44 am »
January 12th

"Never think there is anything impossible for the soul. It is the greatest heresy to think so. If there is sin, this is the only sin: to say that you are weak, or others are weak." - Swami Vivekananda

The swami is highly thought of in many circles in India and an influential exponent of Indian philosophy. Many years after Vivekananda's death Rabindranath Tagore told French Nobel laureate Romain Rolland, "If you want to know India, study Vivekananda. In him everything is positive and nothing negative".

He was a crucial witness to the terrible circumstances under which many people lived during Colonial times and is credited with raising issues of interfaith awareness (okay, he's a Hindu who is also credited with the Hindu revival in India, now by far the most popular religion in the nation and of course there are issues in and of themselves on this point - my Sikh, Buddhist, Christian and Muslim friends will doubtlessly be able to cite examples of major issues presented by an overtly dominant Hindu faith but, relatively-speaking, that's today, not then, and a different discussion! I myself am an avowed, born-again, evangelical atheist and discourage any religious difference to be introduced into this thread :wave ) and his birth date has been adopted as 'National Youth Day' there.

I was hoping for something motivational and inspirational today, as I have an important pitch to become part of the team in a local L&D Consultancy firm that operates throughout the whole of Western, Central and Eastern Europe and the Balkans.

So today I honour my inner strength and recognise the good service that my soul intends me to offer to others.

What can you honour in yourself today and where could it take you today?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:07:53 am by 24/7 »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2018, 10:03:40 am »
Needed that one today, thanks mate.

And good luck with the pitch, knock 'em dead :thumbsup

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2018, 09:59:14 am »
Needed that one today, thanks mate.

And good luck with the pitch, knock 'em dead :thumbsup
Excellent, good to see that the thread has some relevance beyond my own imagination ;D - pitch was........difficult.......but hey just before I went in a dormant client got back in touch with some more work this year - even if the pitch doesn't result in anything, my raised intention* is still producing the goods! :D

* reading tup - 'The Power of Intention' by the late, great Dr Wayne Dyer.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2018, 10:05:27 am »
January 13th

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no help at all." - Dale Carnegie

This one reminds me of the years when campaigning for justice for Hillsborough sometimes felt like being in the most frustrating and distressing echo chamber, when it seemed the only people who would listen were the ones who already 'got' it, when the most practical and productive help needed was being withheld by those who just didn't 'get' it.

So I have huge admiration for those who kept speaking up, persisted in battling an establishment who at best were dismissive and diffident. People like Anne Williams and Dave Church who fought with their dying breath for justice for their own and others' kids. Such sacrifice has no equal.

Admiration too for the countless campaigners who never stopped, even when it felt that there might be nobody of importance/influence listening. Look at what they accomplished by keeping on trying.

Which hill can you climb in your own way today?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:08:02 am by 24/7 »

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2018, 11:19:11 am »
That struck the same chord reading that quote Jim and your your words got me all welled me up too.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline GrandOldAuntieHelenVanriel

• Kings Lynn? More like Vera Lynn! :) Norfolk Granny 2018 Award.
  • Main Stander
  • no one is free. Even birds are chained to the sky
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2018, 02:48:55 pm »
So true
The trouble is, you think you have time....

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2018, 07:14:08 am »
January 14th

"I want you to be concerned about your next door neighbour. Do you know your next door neighbour?" - Mother Teresa

Tricky one this. Due to weird layout here, I have three neighbours: two underneath and one next door. Two of these places have a bad habit of playing eurotechnotrash on sounds systems that wouldn't be out of place in Cream. Little fuckers. Yesterday, the other neighbour (with a young family, a wife who works nights and a history including taking one neighbour to court) threatened to break the legs of one of these scallies (adults who still live with mummy by the way), prompting the other noisy neighbour to offer him outside. What a lovely place.

So two of my neighbours can get to fuck and I am concerned about the other's state of mind.

That said, if there was a fire in this place, would I let the fuckers burn? No. So to deal with the noise issues, I have to rely on a few quotations coming up in the calendar. Love thy neighbour thankfully isn't one of them - instead the challenge is to practise a little more tolerance on my part and rely on them stepping out of line sufficiently for the Poilce to take notice. Oh and I'm moving soon ;)

Prior to this, I lived in a rural village, house-sharing with someone in their 60s, as their kids were working abroad all the time. It was far away from the airport/civilisation but I've realised I prefer it - and the neighbours down that way are all lovely but all old - so it's good for them to have some 'younger blood' to keep an eye out for their various needs like gardening, shopping, etc. I think I'll go back there instead.....

(Please let's not turn this into a debate about how bad your neighbours are - instead let's talk about how we can better respond to situations and/or talk about the good that can come from knowing your neighbours well!)

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2018, 07:38:10 am »
Haha! I'm with Jake on this one, must be a nightmare mate!

I think it all boils down to what kind of person you are, age and possibly what you do for a living.....

Good thread anyhow Jim.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2018, 10:32:42 am »
January 15th

"Condemn none. If you can stretch out a helping hand, do so. If you cannot, fold your hands, bless your brothers and let them go their own way." - Swami Vivekananda

Wise words from the Swami.

Today I start delivery of a two-day Effective Communication Skills course, so a helping hand is very much on the agenda and in a positive learning environment there is no room for condemnation.

What are you doing today that will allow you to reach out with a helping hand? If you encounter conflict, how will you communicate in a way that prevents escalation and what could you replace the instinct for condemnation with?

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2018, 10:37:34 am »
[emoji4]

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2018, 01:29:25 pm »
There but for the grace of god go I.

i am liking this thread. 

A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2018, 01:29:51 pm »
Great thread, Jim.  :)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2018, 01:46:20 pm »
Jordan Peterson on the most valuable things everyone should know:

Tell the truth.

Do not do things that you hate.

Act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

Pursue what is meaningful, not what is expedient.

If you have to choose, be the one who does things, instead of the one who is seen to do things.

Pay attention.

Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you need to know. Listen to them hard enough so that they will share it with you.

Plan and work diligently to maintain the romance in your relationships.

Be careful who you share good news with.

Be careful who you share bad news with.

Make at least one thing better every single place you go.

Imagine who you could be, and then aim single-mindedly at that.

Do not allow yourself to become arrogant or resentful.

Try to make one room in your house as beautiful as possible.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today.

Work as hard as you possibly can on at least one thing and see what happens.

If old memories still make you cry, write them down carefully and completely.

Maintain your connections with people.

Do not carelessly denigrate social institutions or artistic achievement.

Treat yourself as if you were someone that you are responsible for helping.

Ask someone to do you a small favour, so that he or she can ask you to do one in the future.

Make friends with people who want the best for you.

Do not try to rescue someone who does not want to be rescued, and be very careful about rescuing someone who does.

Nothing well done is insignificant.

Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world.

Dress like the person you want to be.

Be precise in your speech.

Stand up straight with your shoulders back.

Don’t avoid something frightening if it stands in your way — and don’t do unnecessarily dangerous things.

Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them.

Do not transform your wife into a maid.

Do not hide unwanted things in the fog.

Notice that opportunity lurks where responsibility has been abdicated.

Read something written by someone great.

Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street.

Do not bother children when they are skateboarding.

Don’t let bullies get away with it.

Write a letter to the government if you see something that needs fixing — and propose a solution.

Remember that what you do not yet know is more important than what you already know.

Be grateful in spite of your suffering.
Kill the humourless

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2018, 03:06:30 pm »
Excellent, good to see that the thread has some relevance beyond my own imagination ;D - pitch was........difficult.......but hey just before I went in a dormant client got back in touch with some more work this year - even if the pitch doesn't result in anything, my raised intention* is still producing the goods! :D

Nice one about the client getting back in touch!

Cheers for the tip, I'll check it out

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2018, 08:35:46 pm »

I was fortunate to meet WD at a big Hay House event in London back in 2009. He was a very charismatic person and even though there were many people waiting to have a quick chat with him I felt he took the time necessary to be present in "our moment". The same goes for Gregg Braden and Louise Hay (may she rest in peace). It was at the very beginning of my spiritual quest so at the time I thought Doreen Virtue was a bit too much. I still do... :) Gordon Smith was very good too.

Reading tip: The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. It's only appr. 180 pages but one of the most powerful books I've read. It's really worth a read or two or ten... It's deffo food for thought! :)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2018, 08:03:56 am »
Am a big fan of Hay House - o and I'm going to 'Unleash The Power Within: 2018' to see Tony Robbins this April.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2018, 08:07:54 am »
January 16th

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony." - Mahatma Gandhi

It's so simple and sounds so easy, right? Does it take some effort to get there? Of course it does. The more often you do it, the better at it you become. Day 2 of 'Effective Communication' here and I think I'll summarise the content of yesterday's material with this line, before moving into how we can build better and longer lasting rapport with people.....

Give the above line from Gandhi some thought today - see if your thoughts, words and actions are fully congruent.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2018, 09:38:15 am »
Am a big fan of Hay House - o and I'm going to 'Unleash The Power Within: 2018' to see Tony Robbins this April.

:thumbup

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2018, 09:02:35 pm »
If you haven't got peace of mind you haven't got fuck all, is the way I usually put it.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2018, 10:16:29 pm »
"Your accelerator will get you out of more trouble than your brakes ever will"
- my driving instructor, years ago

Realest shit I ever heard

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2018, 11:10:34 pm »
"Your accelerator will get you out of more trouble than your brakes ever will"
- my driving instructor, years ago

Realest shit I ever heard
What about a drag ra...

Nope. I'm stumped.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2018, 11:57:08 pm »
Listened to five hours of Miles Davis today if that doesnt put you in a happy place nothing will
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2018, 08:39:47 am »
January 17th

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him." - Leo Aikman

This is one of the quotations that I use in management & leadership training, to remind people in supervisory positions that people are often looking at them to lead by example.

It also reminds me of the old cliché about how when you point a finger towards somebody, there are three  pointing back towards yourself.

Additionally, the great business author Steven Covey talks about feedback telling us more about the person giving it than about the person receiving it.

Praise is often neglected in our day to day communication, so about whom can you offer genuine praise today? It will say at least as much about you as it does about them......