Author Topic: Van attack in Manhattan. 31 October 2017 - 8 dead  (Read 3862 times)

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
Van attack in Manhattan. 31 October 2017 - 8 dead
« on: October 31, 2017, 07:39:50 pm »
Major shooting incident in Lower Manhattan.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: Van attack in Manhattan. 31 October 2017 - 8 dead
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 07:44:05 pm »

BBC got it as breaking news but no details.

EDIT: saying there are casualties
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 07:46:01 pm »
All i'm seeing is someone ran over a couple of people and crashed into a school bus?

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:50:40 pm »
All i'm seeing is someone ran over a couple of people and crashed into a school bus?

Apparently hit some cyclists and then started shooting.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 07:53:19 pm »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 08:49:23 pm »
At least 6 dead calling it a terror attack on Sky News.

Saying his gun was fake.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 09:10:11 pm »
Six people dead according to the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41825577

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 09:25:05 pm »
Death toll is now 8.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:28:36 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 10:38:02 pm »
Split from the mass shooting thread.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 10:47:13 pm »
It's getting to the point where I'm numb to these stories when I first hear them. And then I process in my head that 8 people were alive, living life a minute before and now they're not because of some dickhead. Fucking tragic. RIP.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 11:13:15 pm »
It's getting to the point where I'm numb to these stories when I first hear them. And then I process in my head that 8 people were alive, living life a minute before and now they're not because of some dickhead. Fucking tragic. RIP.
In a sense, maybe your numbness is a good thing in the long term?

Is there a way that these acts becoming less shocking and less high profile means that they will wither on the vine in the future?

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but there’s a hope that when these terrible acts lose headline appeal, they also lose their attraction.

Well here’s hoping anyway...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 11:25:53 pm »

Is there a way that these acts becoming less shocking and less high profile means that they will wither on the vine in the future?

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but there’s a hope that when these terrible acts lose headline appeal, they also lose their attraction.

Depends on the motivation perhaps.

Most terrorist organisations have a cause, an end goal.  ISIS want a Caliphate, that's just isnt possible, even most Middle Eastern Muslims wont want the caliphate.

So are these attacks outside of Syria and Iraq (Tha Caliphate area) motivated by a cause, or is it just to kill westerners?   
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #12 on: November 1, 2017, 05:54:16 am »
Twats unsurprisingly on twitter going full Trump over travel bans and how right Trump was -

gems like 'Judges who stopped the travel ban - blood is on your hands'

Should it not be 'Now is not the time to talk about banning immigrants' much in the same way as 'Now is not the time to discuss gun control' - But I guess people opposed to a travel ban aren't paying off politicians - ho hum
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 1, 2017, 07:59:19 am »
Twats unsurprisingly on twitter going full Trump over travel bans and how right Trump was -

gems like 'Judges who stopped the travel ban - blood is on your hands'

Should it not be 'Now is not the time to talk about banning immigrants' much in the same way as 'Now is not the time to discuss gun control' - But I guess people opposed to a travel ban aren't paying off politicians - ho hum

Also, Uzbekistan is not included in the travel ban, and even if it was, this person came to the US in 2010.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 1, 2017, 09:13:20 am »
Also, Uzbekistan is not included in the travel ban, and even if it was, this person came to the US in 2010.

So it was Obama's fault...

(as seen on Twitter)
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 1, 2017, 11:07:06 am »
But did he come to America before or after Obama founded ISIS? This is important.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 1, 2017, 08:55:03 pm »
The differences in responses from the whitehouse after LA and this would be comical if it weren't so serious.
White American gun nut kills 58 people............move along, nothing to see here.
Brown American nutter kills 8 people.........woah, the sky is falling, we have to do something right now.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 1, 2017, 08:56:47 pm »
The differences in responses from the whitehouse after LA and this would be comical if it weren't so serious.
White American gun nut kills 58 people............move along, nothing to see here.
Brown American nutter kills 8 people.........woah, the sky is falling, we have to do something right now.

I wish someone would ask Trump is there both sides in this case.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #18 on: November 1, 2017, 09:44:31 pm »

Worth an edit mate.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 1, 2017, 10:13:37 pm »
Worth an edit mate.

To be fair that’s how it was first reported.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #20 on: November 1, 2017, 10:15:17 pm »
To be fair that’s how it was first reported.

A bit misleading at this point though mate given we now know what materialised.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #21 on: November 1, 2017, 10:20:14 pm »
The BBC reports that the fella wanted an Islamic State flag to be hung up in his hospital room. What a twat.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 1, 2017, 10:22:47 pm »
A bit misleading at this point though mate given we now know what materialised.

I understand but it’s useful to be able to look back and see how these things actually unfold.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #23 on: November 2, 2017, 12:31:58 pm »
New York truck attack suspect 'spent a year planning'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41835266

This sad sack of shit supposedly spent a year planning. He rented a truck and drove at cyclists. He failed to buy real guns in the USA, which is impressive in itself. And when he got out of the van, he looked particularly clueless and gormless. This was a profoundly unimpressive terrorist. If he was competent, it would have been an awful lot worse.

Definitely more Four Lions than Bin Laden.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 2, 2017, 12:59:38 pm »
New York truck attack suspect 'spent a year planning'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41835266

This sad sack of shit supposedly spent a year planning. He rented a truck and drove at cyclists. He failed to buy real guns in the USA, which is impressive in itself. And when he got out of the van, he looked particularly clueless and gormless. This was a profoundly unimpressive terrorist. If he was competent, it would have been an awful lot worse.

Definitely more Four Lions than Bin Laden.

New York has strict gun laws compared to many states which is probably why he only had a pellet gun and a paint ball gun. If he'd waited and let the Republicans have their way he could have bought enough weaponry to kill scores of innocent people.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/new-yorks-strict-gun-control-laws-may-soon-be-lifted-federal-government
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 2, 2017, 01:04:20 pm »
New York has strict gun laws compared to many states which is probably why he only had a pellet gun and a paint ball gun. If he'd waited and let the Republicans have their way he could have bought enough weaponry to kill scores of innocent people.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/new-yorks-strict-gun-control-laws-may-soon-be-lifted-federal-government

And he did not think to buy from another state? He spent a year planning, and a paintball gun and a pellet gun is the best he could come up with? He was not a very good criminal.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/new-yorks-strict-gun-laws-are-undercut-by-other-states-leniency-2016-10?r=US&IR=T

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 2, 2017, 01:12:41 pm »
And he did not think to buy from another state? He spent a year planning, and a paintball gun and a pellet gun is the best he could come up with? He was not a very good criminal.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/new-yorks-strict-gun-laws-are-undercut-by-other-states-leniency-2016-10?r=US&IR=T

I'm not disagreeing that he might be a bit dim but there may have been other reasons other than stupidity. In other cases the attackers have worn dummy suicide belts either to create fear or to ensure they are martyred.

And he had planned this carefully, maybe he reasoned that a man with a full muslim-style beard buying a gun would attract attention, especially if he's from out-of-state. It's one thing for a 64-year-old white man to buy 47 semi-automatic guns, it's quite another for a muslim to try and do the same.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 2, 2017, 01:16:38 pm »

But what if one of the cyclists had a gun? Would they not be able to take out a driver of a speeding vehicle as it was coming towards them? They could even cycle towards them and been even more effective, Hot Fuzz style.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 2, 2017, 01:22:51 pm »
But what if one of the cyclists had a gun? Would they not be able to take out a driver of a speeding vehicle as it was coming towards them? They could even cycle towards them and been even more effective, Hot Fuzz style.

Bicycles should be armed with guns. 

Trump has gone on a tweet rage that could prejudice the case against the assailant.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 2, 2017, 01:26:34 pm »
He must have hit the cyclists from behind surely    :(

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 2, 2017, 01:27:04 pm »
The answer is always more guns. Unless the assailant is white, then it's not time to speak about these things.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 2, 2017, 02:39:05 pm »

Yeah I was thinking this this morning. If you are fully prepared to die, would you not also be prepared to move house to W. Virginia or somewhere for a few months to get some weapons?

Edit - he wouldn't even have to live there. Drive down, rent some tin shack in the boondocks, as soon as his name's on a utility bill, get a WV state ID. As soon as he's got that he can buy anything he wants. Thankfully he wasn't capable of that kind of thought and planning, unlike Lubbock. 
« Last Edit: November 2, 2017, 02:43:31 pm by Mumm-Ra »

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 2, 2017, 03:17:01 pm »
Yeah I was thinking this this morning. If you are fully prepared to die, would you not also be prepared to move house to W. Virginia or somewhere for a few months to get some weapons?

Edit - he wouldn't even have to live there. Drive down, rent some tin shack in the boondocks, as soon as his name's on a utility bill, get a WV state ID. As soon as he's got that he can buy anything he wants. Thankfully he wasn't capable of that kind of thought and planning, unlike Lubbock. 

Private buyer sale has no background checks. Just go to a gun fair.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 2, 2017, 04:18:10 pm »
Private buyer sale has no background checks. Just go to a gun fair.

I live in Chicago, IL - I'm told that if I were to go to a gun show in Indiana, I'd be asked on the door to show ID. When I pulled out an IL state ID, I'd have my hand stamped, and then any gun I bought would have to be shipped to a registered gun dealer in IL for me to pick up there. That's how it's meant to work, although I'm sure it doesn't always go by the book, but a bearded muslim trying to buy an AR-15 would probably be made to play by the rules.

My point about the WV address thing is that he could actually play by the rules, it would take a month or two, but he could fully legally get everything he wanted, regardless of where he really lived. Thankfully he didn't bother

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 2, 2017, 04:45:00 pm »
I live in Chicago, IL - I'm told that if I were to go to a gun show in Indiana, I'd be asked on the door to show ID. When I pulled out an IL state ID, I'd have my hand stamped, and then any gun I bought would have to be shipped to a registered gun dealer in IL for me to pick up there. That's how it's meant to work, although I'm sure it doesn't always go by the book, but a bearded muslim trying to buy an AR-15 would probably be made to play by the rules.

My point about the WV address thing is that he could actually play by the rules, it would take a month or two, but he could fully legally get everything he wanted, regardless of where he really lived. Thankfully he didn't bother

They assume that potential gun criminals don't wash their hands?

Besides, there are classified ads where you can buy privately and avoid even those checks.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/17/482483537/semi-automatic-weapons-without-a-background-check-can-be-just-a-click-away

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #35 on: November 2, 2017, 04:50:21 pm »

See Trump, Brexit and Social Media.

Some get numb, large swathes get angry.
:D

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 2, 2017, 06:52:56 pm »

Sadly I think the opposite would happen. If they lose headline appeal the encouragement will be towards something that can't be ignored. Apparently this person chose Halloween because he was hoping for there would be big crowds and wanted to kill children.

And as someone mentioned above, he attacked the cyclists from behind so they wouldn't see him coming.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #37 on: November 2, 2017, 07:52:28 pm »
Too much God on his brain. Not enough humanity.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.