Author Topic: La Liga 17/18  (Read 64006 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: La Liga 17/18
« Reply #880 on: September 21, 2017, 12:59:45 pm »
You think Suarez benefited a lot more than people realise from Neymar/Messi or he's just having a dip in form? Can't doubt his class but he isn't looking the same at the minute, frustrated almost

I'm not sure, he had some really rough patches last year as well but he ended up scoring 35 goals. So he may turn it around,but he has yet to have a good game so far

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #881 on: September 21, 2017, 03:59:12 pm »
Zidane is criticized for rotating too much, not buying replacement for Morata and Pepe. I doubt that was hic decision to not buy, also i thought he rotates due to injuries?
I think a lot of Madrid fans dislike that his go to option to sub out is Isco, whereas players like Bale and Benzema get chance after chance even if they deliver little.

Indeed, it makes you wonder why Zidane prefers a pace merchant (Bale) to a player who is much closer to his ilk (Isco). You'd think given his own playing style, if there is a single player he should build around, it is Isco.

Zidane is one of those weird cases. He seems Spanish, but in fact more French if you look at his insistence with his French players. Doesn't seem to value the locals as much as fanbase does anyway.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: September 21, 2017, 04:11:12 pm »

Zidane is one of those weird cases. He seems Spanish, but in fact more French if you look at his insistence with his French players. Doesn't seem to value the locals as much as fanbase does anyway.

This is ridiculous criticism. They have 3 French players in the entire squad, the same number as Barcelona... Benzema started most of the important games last season, as he has done under every Real Madrid coach for almost the entirety of his time there and Varane is their second best CB and in case you hadn't noticed they won the two biggest trophies last season. Is he meant to deliberately not pick these guys to make some kind of point? He's done more to develop young Spanish talent than almost every coach currently in La Liga. He's helped Isco become one of the most revered AMs in Europe, he gave Morata plenty of minutes last season, he's brought Asensio, Vasquez into the first team squad and he'll do the same with Mayoral, Llorente and Ceballos over the coming months. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:14:33 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #883 on: September 21, 2017, 04:39:42 pm »
This is ridiculous criticism. They have 3 French players in the entire squad, the same number as Barcelona... Benzema started most of the important games last season, as he has done under every Real Madrid coach for almost the entirety of his time there and Varane is their second best CB and in case you hadn't noticed they won the two biggest trophies last season. Is he meant to deliberately not pick these guys to make some kind of point? He's done more to develop young Spanish talent than almost every coach currently in La Liga. He's helped Isco become one of the most revered AMs in Europe, he gave Morata plenty of minutes last season, he's brought Asensio, Vasquez into the first team squad and he'll do the same with Mayoral, Llorente and Ceballos over the coming months. 
But more to the point that he just keeps playing Benzema and Bale no matter what.

Re- he has done a lot for Spanish young talent, not sure about that. Did he personally ask for and sign them like he did with Varane? He talked to Mbappe, too. All of these Spanish signings, from what I understand, are Perez signings. Isco was signed before Zidane was the coach, so he had to use him or let him go. Ceballos, Asensio... did he really sign them? Mayoral, Llorente, Morata these were Madrid's own youngsters. Fair play, he gives youth more chance than Mourinho. But he could have utilized Morata better.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #884 on: September 21, 2017, 04:42:57 pm »
But more to the point that he just keeps playing Benzema and Bale no matter what.

Re- he has done a lot for Spanish young talent, not sure about that. Did he personally ask for and sign them like he did with Varane? He talked to Mbappe, too. All of these Spanish signings, from what I understand, are Perez signings. Isco was signed before Zidane was the coach, so he had to use him or let him go. Ceballos, Asensio... did he really sign them? Mayoral, Llorente, Morata these were Madrid's own youngsters. Fair play, he gives youth more chance than Mourinho. But he could have utilized Morata better.

Varane has been at Real Madrid for 6 seasons, I don't believe Zidane has been the coach for that long. Whether he signed players or not is absolutely irrelevant. What is relevant is whether he actually plays them and helps them develop and in that regard he is almost peerless in World football at this time. He's doing more to help Spanish footie than almost every Spaniard in La Liga.

I don't really understand how Zidane can be criticised for his use of Benzema and Bale. Benzema is not one of the best forwards in world football any longer but he helps the team function properly and contributed to them winning the 2 main trophies last season. As for Bale, do you not remember that Zidane left him on the bench in a Champions League final in Cardiff?...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:45:24 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #885 on: September 21, 2017, 09:42:31 pm »
Somebody let Emre Mor know it's okay to pass sometimes. He's really irritating. Celta have regressed a lot in the last couple of years, they're miles away from where they were when they had Nolito.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #886 on: September 21, 2017, 10:00:08 pm »

Ridiculous.   Benzema is a great player, and his off the ball movement helps Ronaldo rack up the stats.   Bale is a great player when fit, and a Perez project.   As an aside RM should have cashed out on him this summer and bought Mbappe.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #887 on: September 21, 2017, 10:00:37 pm »
https://streamable.com/fr5kx

Great goal from Chema

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #888 on: September 21, 2017, 10:21:47 pm »
Somebody let Emre Mor know it's okay to pass sometimes. He's really irritating. Celta have regressed a lot in the last couple of years, they're miles away from where they were when they had Nolito.

His career went downhill once he started playing for the national team.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: September 21, 2017, 11:10:30 pm »
Why do we have a separate Barcelona thread but no Real Madrid? I think we will talk a lot about them this year.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: September 22, 2017, 04:06:24 am »
I will go to ANY thread where the Qatari minister of info doesn't feel the need to incessantly get his oar in.

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #891 on: September 22, 2017, 08:02:34 am »
That Levante goal last night was something else.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: September 22, 2017, 02:02:54 pm »
That Levante goal last night was something else.

Especially for a CB. I even thought the free kick was brilliant - the pace and whip from not very far out, glorious.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #893 on: September 23, 2017, 01:38:20 pm »
Can see a stronger title challenge from Atletico this season. 6 games in, 4 wins, 2 draws and the defence looking a bit better so far. Costa and Vitolo joining in January too, could be a big season for them.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: September 23, 2017, 01:50:17 pm »
Atletico have totally shut Sevilla down since they took the lead, quite impressive really.

Offline Rick Sanchez

• Main Stander
« Reply #895 on: September 24, 2017, 11:19:52 am »
14th October Atletico v Barcelona

Should be some contest that, two of Europe's most inform teams go head to head.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: September 24, 2017, 06:57:05 pm »
Eibar are shit. This has to be the season where they stop punching above their weight.

Offline Rick Sanchez

• Main Stander
« Reply #897 on: September 24, 2017, 09:30:06 pm »
Great game between Sociedad and Valencia, Zaza surley won it for Valencia.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #898 on: September 24, 2017, 09:44:03 pm »
Great game between Sociedad and Valencia, Zaza surley won it for Valencia.

yep, cracking game that
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: September 24, 2017, 09:56:36 pm »
That Guedes looks a bit of a player doesn't he?

Tell you what La Liga gets some stick in the UK but last season was terrific and it's been a hell of a start to this one too. Valencia, Sociedad and Betis particularly have been a joy to watch early on, Real Madrid dropping points, Sevilla and Atletico looking strong...great stuff!

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: September 25, 2017, 03:38:05 am »
That Guedes looks a bit of a player doesn't he?

Came here to post the same. Didn't even realize PSG had him on their books too. They're ridiculously stacked.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #901 on: September 25, 2017, 09:20:25 am »
Marcelino doing apparently quite some job on that cesspit that is called Valencia.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Rick Sanchez

• Main Stander
« Reply #902 on: September 25, 2017, 01:20:34 pm »
Marcelino doing apparently quite some job on that cesspit that is called Valencia.
Marcelino is a brilliant manager. He will prove to be the best manager Valencia have had since Rafa.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: September 25, 2017, 01:22:04 pm »

He has quite a good squad at his disposal to be fair. Garay, Gaya, Murillo, Parejo, Guedes, Kondogbia, Orellana, Soler, Rodrigo and Santi Mina are all good to very good. Any decent coach should be getting something out of that lot
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:24:14 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Rick Sanchez

• Main Stander
« Reply #904 on: September 25, 2017, 01:26:36 pm »
He has quite a good squad at his disposal to be fair. Garay, Gaya, Murillo, Parejo, Guedes, Kondogbia, Orellana, Soler, Rodrigo and Santi Mina are all good to very good. Any decent coach should be getting something out of that lot
Don't forget Zaza as well. He's been a beast since he signed for Valencia.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #905 on: September 25, 2017, 01:48:52 pm »
I was talking more about the outfield issues that have been burdening the team the past years and had an effect on the field as well. It's nice to see a change there even if it comes from the manager only.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: September 25, 2017, 03:34:58 pm »
Don't forget Zaza as well. He's been a beast since he signed for Valencia.
He has been inconsistent for them. Valencia could do with an upgrade in that position.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #907 on: September 25, 2017, 05:41:38 pm »
Must be quite a while since Real Madrid started this poorly.

Offline Rick Sanchez

• Main Stander
« Reply #908 on: September 25, 2017, 09:50:51 pm »
Real Betis play some quality stuff under this manager. He did a a decent job with Las Palmas last season and he's doing a solid job at Betis so far as well.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #909 on: September 26, 2017, 09:42:19 am »
Real Betis play some quality stuff under this manager. He did a a decent job with Las Palmas last season and he's doing a solid job at Betis so far as well.

I absolutely love watching Betis this season, superb stuff. Fabian Ruiz in midfield looks a talent in particular and nice to see Javi Garcia using his experience to make a major impact.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: September 30, 2017, 08:49:18 pm »
Watching Leganes - Atletico. Didn't know our Nabil El Zar is playing for Leganes. Almost scored a goal as I was writing this
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:57:00 pm by dalarr »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #911 on: September 30, 2017, 10:28:36 pm »
Atletico dropped 2 points, looks like Madrid teams in race to gift it to Barca.

Atletico is playing them next at home after international break, it should be a great watch. If Barcelona wins, they will be already 9 points ahead of Atletico after 8 matches (assuming they win vs Las Palmas tomorrow)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: October 1, 2017, 11:29:59 am »
This game is great. 2-2 after half an hour.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: October 1, 2017, 12:45:31 pm »
Can't beat two decent attacking teams going at each other in the pissing rain.

Offline Triad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #914 on: October 1, 2017, 03:31:43 pm »
Aquilani(Remember him) playing against Barca.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #915 on: October 1, 2017, 10:57:33 pm »
Aquilani(Remember him) playing against Barca.

And coached by Pako Ayestaran.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #916 on: October 3, 2017, 01:56:46 am »

Pique got the wrath of the Spain fans at training for the national side - http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/10/02/barcelonas-pique-jeered-at-spain-training/ (with video)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #917 on: October 6, 2017, 04:09:35 pm »
La Liga experts... I'm interested in going to a game at some point between February and April.  I'm thinking Malaga or Sevilla (or both), and hopefully to watch them play Barcelona.

How reliably can I predict when the games are going to be so I can book some flights?  I notice the schedules all say 4pm Sunday, which I guess is the equivalent to when we say 3pm before the TV schedules are announced.. I'm thinking a 5 day trip with the match somewhere along the way..

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #918 on: October 6, 2017, 04:55:52 pm »
Used to be ten days beforehand that kick off times were finalised, I'm only talking two seasons back, so I'd imagine it to still be the case.
AHA!

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #919 on: October 6, 2017, 05:19:58 pm »
Used to be ten days beforehand that kick off times were finalised, I'm only talking two seasons back, so I'd imagine it to still be the case.

Thanks...jeez that's short notice.  What about predicting which day a game might be on e.g. can you tell whether it will be a Wednesday or a Friday?  Also wonder if they consider European competition at any point.