Author Topic: 2017 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 211633 times)

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: 2017 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #2160 on: July 16, 2017, 05:53:50 pm »
Poe's law is in effect.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2161 on: July 16, 2017, 05:58:41 pm »
How is it over?  The championship is in the balance..

It's not over but Mercedes have opened up a gap in performance now and the momentum is with them and it does feel like it's slipping away from Ferrari at the moment.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2162 on: July 16, 2017, 06:05:18 pm »
1p down and the car runs like a donkey whenever it's colder than 25C...

Absolutely no chance now.

You're a real 'glass half full' guy aren't you. 

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2163 on: July 16, 2017, 07:22:29 pm »
Poe's law is in effect.

Nah mate just disappointed.

4-4-2-7.

What an epic way to throw away a season that was all about consistency from the beginning. It's so typical Ferrari and it makes me so pissed off to see such a glorious opportunity squandered. Hungary is totally make or break now and judging by the last few races...
Linudden.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2164 on: July 16, 2017, 08:13:30 pm »
Didn't see that coming with 2 laps left!

Kimi deserved second I thought. Kept Lewis pretty honest up until the first stop. Wasn't surprised to see bottas so high either, especially given the car is so damn fast in a straight line it didn't matter what tyres he had on.

It's interesting because clearly the mercs have the tyres working how they want right now, plus they are faster in a straight line, even more so than at the start of the season I'd say though I have nothing to back it up but just purely from a visual standpoint.

Still think it will be tight come the end but there's no doubt Mercedes are ahead in the development. Ferrari not so much, not sure if they are any more upgrades due.

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2165 on: July 16, 2017, 09:39:05 pm »
Anyone ever been to Silverstone for the weekend?

I'm aiming to go next year but have no clue of what to expect. A mate of mine has been before, says it's a great weekend on the beer. Apparently you have to camp? What is it like to camp there?

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers!

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2166 on: July 16, 2017, 10:12:23 pm »
Went for race day when I was 11. Remember a tractor having to tow my dads car out of a field we were parked in because it had hammered it down for like 7 days straight. Can't be much help to you but the atmosphere was great, brilliant experience.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2167 on: July 16, 2017, 10:58:30 pm »
Went for race day when I was 11. Remember a tractor having to tow my dads car out of a field we were parked in because it had hammered it down for like 7 days straight. Can't be much help to you but the atmosphere was great, brilliant experience.

That gorgeous idea of having the race in April in 2000?  :butt
Linudden.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2168 on: July 16, 2017, 11:55:21 pm »
lol

choose Life.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2169 on: July 17, 2017, 08:08:01 am »
Thoughts with Martin Brundle.

He was taken ill and unable to do commentary. Given that this is a guy who had a minor heart attack during last years Monaco Grand Prix and continued doing commentary and even prevented the trophy, you can't help but be concerned....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2170 on: July 17, 2017, 08:54:08 am »
Thoughts with Martin Brundle.

He was taken ill and unable to do commentary. Given that this is a guy who had a minor heart attack during last years Monaco Grand Prix and continued doing commentary and even prevented the trophy, you can't help but be concerned....

He was due to get an award from Ross Brawn to mark 20 years of him doing the pre-race grid walk

Looks like it was a minor stomach virus. He might miss the Hungary race but be back after the Summer break

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2171 on: July 17, 2017, 09:03:29 am »
i posted about it yesterday but it got lost amid burst pirellis

really sad timing given the race and the award for him
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2172 on: July 17, 2017, 09:49:59 am »
He was due to get an award from Ross Brawn to mark 20 years of him doing the pre-race grid walk

Looks like it was a minor stomach virus. He might miss the Hungary race but be back after the Summer break

I'm really happy that it's nothing serious.  He's easily the best commentator on Sky and always comes across as a genuinely nice man.  As someone who's been watching the sport for all of those twenty years you mention, it's hard to imagine tuning in on race day and him not being a part of it. 

Hopefully he's back for the next round.  As much as I find him a little biased towards Lewis these days, he's still light years ahead of the other guys.  Listening to Paul Di Resta was like watching paint dry and not even a lively looking colour.  I'm talking beige.   

Offline kaliberbeats

• Main Stander
« Reply #2173 on: July 17, 2017, 10:47:55 am »
Get well soon Martin.

I always enjoy the Silverstone GP.

Is Danny Kyvat the new Maldonado? Danny is not a bad driver but IMO he's not good enough for F1.
I am the bodgers of Fantasy Football

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2174 on: July 17, 2017, 10:55:14 am »
Get well soon Martin.

I always enjoy the Silverstone GP.

Is Danny Kyvat the new Maldonado? Danny is not a bad driver but IMO he's not good enough for F1.

I think he had these issues more in certain phases, like Grosjean in early Lotus days. Agree though, him and more particularly Palmer stand out at this level - understand that's not particularly fair on Palmer this weekend, but over the last two years it is.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2175 on: July 17, 2017, 05:01:17 pm »

Danny "Torpedo" Kvyat vs Pastor "The Crashtor" Maldonado

DESTRUCTION DERBY EXTRAVAGANZA!

Caught up with the race as I was out Sunday, what a massive boost for Hamilton who absolutely dominated the weekend like a man in the zone. Hamilton has always had days when he's looked unstoppable, but I think this season has been his most inconsistent. Hes had a number of weekends where he just isnt dialled in at all, Russia and Monaco the standouts where he looked all over the place. Then you get weekends like this, where he is literally untouchable. Half a second over everyone in qualifying, a couple more tenths over his own teammate who won the last race. Cruised round all day and smashed the lap record to score his third "Grand Slam" of the season (Pole, win, lead every lap, fastest lap). To put that into perspective, that equals the record for most grand slams in a season (from his 4 wins), and is now second behind only Jim Clark. Its a little frustrating to watch but at the moment you arent quite sure which Lewis is turning up at the weekend, but you either get middling Lewis who might have a wobble in quali and get 4th after a decent race, or youre getting God mode Lewis, who is untouchable.

He cuts the championship to a solitary point thanks to Ferrari's very unfortunate luck with their tyres (Hamilton apparently backed off to half throttle mode after what happened to Kimi), and the fight is massively on. Hungary will be interesting as its not really a power track, and Merc, Ferrari and Red Bull should all be pretty close together, and theres only a couple more true power circuits left (Spa, Monza, USA. Abu Dhabi?) and a good chunk of more technical tracks so it will be fun watching the battle ebb and flow, as I think it will until the final race. An actual championship battle, how about that.

Brilliant drive by Bottas, didnt put a foot wrong all day, made his moves stick, put himself in a position to pounce on a wounded Kimi and brought home a 1-2 that they really hadnt expected.

Poor Kimi. Probably all there is to say, he drove a pretty flawless race, just to have a tyre fail him.

Verstappen put a monster move on Vettel at the start, hes just so exciting to watch. Might have gained a place extra if they hadnt pitted him last minute, but they might have lost it all if theirs went too, so hard to judge. Danny Ric with a fantastic march through the field, what a day from him. Bit strange how far off they seemed in quali, might have just been an off day, their pace was decent enough in the race but still nothing special. Hopefully like I said, theyll be closer in Hungary.

Hulkenberg drove really well, but we know he has that in him, Palmer was unlucky with the failure but whos arsed, its more interesting seeing if they can swap Kubica in after the summer break.

Torro Rosso had a mare. McLaren had an equal, if less spectacular bad day. Alonso still retiring (all but two races), Vandoorne was on for a point before a poor stop cost him. Just dont see where they go from here. Alonso said hed leave if there wasnt progress and is there any? He swapped out all his engine AGAIN, and still didnt see the chequered flag. Never mind his target of McLaren winning races, they've only scored points once all season, its pathetic.

Decent ish race, nothing spectacular until the tyre gods decided to spice it up a bit. On to Hungary where the current grid list of winners there reads:
Vettel: 1
Ricciardo: 1
Raikkonen: 1
Alonso: 1
Hamilton: .. 5

Here we go.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #2176 on: July 17, 2017, 05:20:32 pm »
Will it be the last British grand Prix at Silverstone in 2019 ?

Shame if true

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2177 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:52 pm »
Agree about brundle, his grid walk and Intel is superb

Rumours that toro Rosso split with sainz. Pierre gasly to drive next race for them AND sainz will replace palmer at Renault if they cough up money

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2178 on: July 17, 2017, 08:00:34 pm »
Anyone ever been to Silverstone for the weekend?

I'm aiming to go next year but have no clue of what to expect. A mate of mine has been before, says it's a great weekend on the beer. Apparently you have to camp? What is it like to camp there?

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers!
I've been a few times pm me any questions rather than clog the thread up.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2179 on: July 17, 2017, 08:01:57 pm »

Hulkenberg drove really well, but we know he has that in him, Palmer was unlucky with the failure but whos arsed, its more interesting seeing if they can swap Kubica in after the summer break.

I can't see them chucking Kubica in at the deep end this season - whilst the reports from his tests are really encouraging they've been in a 2012 car which by all accounts is a very different beast to the current cars. So he still needs to show that he can do it in a 2017 car before they can even consider putting him in. If he's able to do that you still have to consider that as far as I'm aware he's not raced in a single-seater since his accident 6 years ago so you'd imagine he'd need a full off-season of testing before you'd feel confident that he can translate his test pace into a race-weekend situation.

Plus Palmer has been much more competitive the last couple of races and showed enough last season to suggest that it's not a situation where they have to act immediately to replace someone completely out of his depth.

On a different note I think Kvyat is done - the impression I have he seems to have lost any goodwill he had from his fellow drivers and more importantly from his team and doesn't seem to be interested in winning it back. I think to begin with he had a fair bit of sympathy for how much a blow the whole situation of being dropped would have been to him but he's reacted to it in completely the wrong way since.

As above wish Brundle a speedy recovery - he's one of those understated commentators (in sport in general) that you don't miss until he's not there. Think it's harsh to criticise Di Resta though given that he stepped in at the last minute in a race that until the end was a pretty dull.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:06:10 pm by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2180 on: July 17, 2017, 09:41:32 pm »

Offline kaliberbeats

• Main Stander
« Reply #2181 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:27 am »
On a different note I think Kvyat is done - the impression I have he seems to have lost any goodwill he had from his fellow drivers and more importantly from his team and doesn't seem to be interested in winning it back. I think to begin with he had a fair bit of sympathy for how much a blow the whole situation of being dropped would have been to him but he's reacted to it in completely the wrong way since.

to be honest I can't see Danny not having a seat considering the amount of sponsorship he brings with him. F1 has always had some "pay to drive" drivers sadly.
I am the bodgers of Fantasy Football

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2182 on: July 18, 2017, 10:20:49 am »
Any thoughts on Carlos Sainz sr being in the McLaren motor home after qualifying?  Noticed this during Ted's qualifying Notebook.

Jenson seems to have no desire to return, and Alonso seems confident of being where he wants to be next season.  There was also talk of a productive meeting/meal between Alonso and McLaren over the course of the weekend too wasn't there - I suppose productive could be interpreted in a number of ways!

Anyway, Sainz to McLaren wouldn't immediately look like a lot of fun but - though it's not a manufacturer drive - could perhaps be viewed with the long term in mind like Hulkenberg to Renault.  It would seem to indicate that Red Bull's line-up will remain unchanged for next year though.

All that said, maybe they just have nicer aperitifs for the discerning Spaniard...

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2183 on: July 18, 2017, 10:54:00 am »
Driver shuffle season is here already? Great news.

I agree Sammy5 that they probably wont chuck Kubica in so quickly, I just think the situation is interesting because if there is an option for him to return to F1, its clear Renault are the ones backing him and they'll want a seat ready for him to go. Having Sainz replace Palmer would be a very good move for them, its just seeing if they go for that, or wait for Kubica.

If Alonso goes, as seems possible, Sainz would be a great replacement, but again, its how much shit you are willing to put up with on the hope Honda get their act together before you miss out on a bigger chance. Its funny, when Rosberg quit there were strong rumours Toto was trying to get Sainz in but was told firmly no, that he was a future Red Bull star, and now we're 6 months down the line and it looks like they are willing to shift him for whatever reason? This sport is wild.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2184 on: July 18, 2017, 12:04:23 pm »
But where does Alonso go to?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2185 on: July 18, 2017, 12:18:30 pm »
But where does Alonso go to?

If the doors to the top two are closed then probably IndyCar  :wave
Linudden.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2186 on: July 18, 2017, 12:59:53 pm »
Any thoughts on Carlos Sainz sr being in the McLaren motor home after qualifying?  Noticed this during Ted's qualifying Notebook.

Friends with Alonso

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2187 on: July 18, 2017, 01:02:31 pm »
Having Sainz replace Palmer would be a very good move for them, its just seeing if they go for that, or wait for Kubica.

Why would Sainz goto Renault though? They're behind STR in the standings and he loses his option for promotion to RBR. Seems a backwards step or sideways at best.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2188 on: July 18, 2017, 01:26:06 pm »
Why would Sainz goto Renault though? They're behind STR in the standings and he loses his option for promotion to RBR. Seems a backwards step or sideways at best.

Its a works team, Renault have plenty of resources and a good track record in F1 as an engine manufacturer so it could be a good shout in the long run for him. Also, Red Bull are likely to have the same line up next year how long does a driver want to spend in the 'feeder' team? If he stays where he is, that's 4 seasons. 
Thinking is overrated.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2189 on: July 19, 2017, 08:04:19 pm »
FIA have approved the use of 'Halo' for next season

Stupid decision to make at this stage.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2190 on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:33 pm »
FIA have approved the use of 'Halo' for next season

Stupid decision to make at this stage.

They should stick to road safety.

The last on this certainly hasn't been said. If Hamilton refuses to run it and threatens to retire...  ;D well...
Linudden.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2191 on: July 20, 2017, 12:45:47 am »
They should stick to road safety.

The last on this certainly hasn't been said. If Hamilton refuses to run it and threatens to retire...  ;D well...

Just done a quick google so may well have missed something more recent but the most recent report I can see is that Hamilton would be happy to drive with it

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126217

Vettel has been even more positive about it

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10515287/sebastian-vettel-demands-formula-1-introduces-the-halo-device

Yes it looks ugly, but when the drivers are saying that they want to be kept safer I think you should go along with that.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:49:01 am by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2192 on: July 20, 2017, 06:52:56 am »
Just done a quick google so may well have missed something more recent but the most recent report I can see is that Hamilton would be happy to drive with it

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126217

Vettel has been even more positive about it

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10515287/sebastian-vettel-demands-formula-1-introduces-the-halo-device

Yes it looks ugly, but when the drivers are saying that they want to be kept safer I think you should go along with that.

Yeah, but that Vettel quote was from almost a year ago.  I doubt that he's quite so positive about it now after the Silverstone test with the cockpit shield (which is now the FIA's prefered option).  Ferrari had planned to do an extended run in Silversone using it, but Seb's vision was getting messed up and there were 'distortion problems' as a result of which he only ended up doing a couple of laps with it. I agree with Gazza.  I think that it's premature to approve it for next season when the issues with it clearly haven't been worked out.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2193 on: July 24, 2017, 09:23:33 am »
So the FIA have basically admitted that Vettels 'shield' test at silverstone was a token test to push through the halo. The claim that they have tested multiple alternatives and halo is the best.

But in some better news

Robert Kubica will take part in testing at the Hungaroring on 2 August as "a new phase in assessing [his] capabilities". He'll be driving the 2017 Renault for the first time

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2194 on: July 24, 2017, 10:58:22 am »
Kubica will be in a Renault before the end of the season.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2195 on: July 24, 2017, 02:22:45 pm »
Still amazed no complaints about the central strut on the halo causing visibility issues, I'd hate driving my car with a beam right down the windscreen.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2196 on: July 24, 2017, 02:43:54 pm »
Still amazed no complaints about the central strut on the halo causing visibility issues, I'd hate driving my car with a beam right down the windscreen.
must not be an issue if its approved and no complaints

though its the first thing i thought too

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #2197 on: July 24, 2017, 03:32:24 pm »
Not the first with a central strut.

Still faster and more reliable than the McLaren.

Online eyescream

• ewes'cream
  • Kopite
« Reply #2198 on: July 24, 2017, 04:00:35 pm »
Not the first with a central strut.

Still faster and more reliable than the McLaren.

Yeah, but the steering wheel is at the right side of the wagon.  ;)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2199 on: July 25, 2017, 08:56:24 am »
7 years ago today

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EvJ6Ri7yXH4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EvJ6Ri7yXH4</a>