Author Topic: Portuguese Football Thread  (Read 31400 times)

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Portuguese Football Thread
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2015, 10:31:04 am »
Jorge Jesus surely deserves a job at a better league? Especially this season's achievement is a pretty good one since losing a shitload of first team players last summer. Still remember the doom that was surrounding the club after all those players sales.

He refused Milan last season. He also is poor in english and any other language. He is on a 4M€/ year deal, in his hometown, in his sunny country and is an idol for Benfica fans. Also his father medical condition recomends him to stay near. There are 4/5 teams that he would accept the challenge inm England or Spain, but not many more than that.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2015, 11:40:51 am »
Porto and Benfica are a case study and why? Both of them sell their players apparently by "big values" and in the end of the day their debt is increasing in a vertiginous way...

There is no escape for them in the next years. With the announced end of the third party owners they will have to struggle to survive.

Sporting CP is a good example of a sustainability path in Portugal, in the last 2 years they adapted themselves to this new reality and analysing all the panorama they will be again the next big thing in Portugal.

Is right, Sporting will come back on top again in the long run, Sporting was REALLY poorly managed (from the very top, President level) until very recently where they have started nurturing talent once again in the academy and buying strategically instead of big players that they really can't afford.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2015, 11:30:08 am »
Yesterday Benfica added the league cup to the league title and the supercup won this season.

Tomorrow will be played the portuguese cup final between Sporting Lisbon and Sporting Braga.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:19:08 pm by theartist »

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2015, 08:39:50 pm »
Sporting Lisbon had a player sent off at 14' and were 2-0 down until 84'. Came back with two late goals, one at 93'. Won on penalties. First trophy since 2008.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #84 on: June 1, 2015, 09:25:42 am »
Sporting Lisbon had a player sent off at 14' and were 2-0 down until 84'. Came back with two late goals, one at 93'. Won on penalties. First trophy since 2008.

up! Me and Dad were cursing at the Telly from the beginning, was a tough game to watch, unbelievable turnaround at the end, never gave up, extra time was tense, both teams were so shattered!!

They had a man sent off at the very end as well in ET...but ya, tough game, so happy we won though waahoo

Offline GoodSpirit

• Main Stander
« Reply #85 on: June 1, 2015, 10:31:05 pm »
« Last Edit: June 1, 2015, 10:34:19 pm by GoodSpirit »
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later..."

"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog, you must stick together. Then you don't get lost. If there's a secret about Liverpool, that's it."

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 3, 2015, 04:11:58 pm »
Nice to see some Portuguese fans/enthusiasts  :wave

Marcos Silva should leave Sporting Lisbon in the next few days after his relationship with the president broke down in December. Could be heading to Sevilla.

On the other hand, Jorge Jesus is still to come to an agreement with the Benfica board. The Portuguese press have been speculating him going to...Sporting, which is a bit weird since, if Benfica cannot afford Jesus, one would think that neither could Sporting.

As for players, Carrillo has one year left in his contract and Sporting will find it difficult to keep him. Very decent young player who had a good season. Porto were reportedly after him, which should be made concrete if Brahimi, who said that 'Porto is a big club, but there are better options' recently, leaves.

Bryan Ruiz welcomed the speculation bringing him to Sporting, and apparently should command a meagre 1,5m as transfer fee. I have always liked him, though never quite took off at Fulham. Don't think the English game suits him.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 3, 2015, 10:08:23 pm »
On the other hand, Jorge Jesus is still to come to an agreement with the Benfica board. The Portuguese press have been speculating him going to...Sporting, which is a bit weird since, if Benfica cannot afford Jesus, one would think that neither could Sporting.

O Jogo saying they've agreed terms.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 3, 2015, 11:02:21 pm »
Indeed. Surprising stuff. Benfica fans must be fuming.

Rui Vitoria to replace him.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 3, 2015, 11:05:38 pm »
Wasn't he already one of the best paid coaches knocking about?

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #90 on: June 3, 2015, 11:11:35 pm »
:lmao

Jorge Jesus is mental. Really interesting to see how he'd do at Sporting, you'd suspect he will do good things if it does happen.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 3, 2015, 11:13:05 pm »
He was on 4M euros a year but Benfica will have a tighter budget for next year. He would see his wages drop anyway.

Some papers saying he will get 3,2M at Sporting though people on Facebook are banding 6M about, which is not realistic for Sporting at all. They have a policy of sensible spending and 3,2M would already be more than any player in their squad.

This is really weird stuff. An hour ago every Benfica fan was deriding the paper that broke the news. Now all the other papers are following suit and it looks like a done deal.

EDIT: O Jogo backing the 6M/year story. Astonishing

Apparently an Angolan bank is funding it. Plus Jesus is a Sporting fan and wanted to stay in Portugal.

Just imagine Brendan winning the league twice and going to Everton...

« Last Edit: June 3, 2015, 11:55:01 pm by Johnny B. Goode »

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #92 on: June 4, 2015, 10:11:09 am »
He was on 4M euros a year but Benfica will have a tighter budget for next year. He would see his wages drop anyway.

Some papers saying he will get 3,2M at Sporting though people on Facebook are banding 6M about, which is not realistic for Sporting at all. They have a policy of sensible spending and 3,2M would already be more than any player in their squad.

This is really weird stuff. An hour ago every Benfica fan was deriding the paper that broke the news. Now all the other papers are following suit and it looks like a done deal.

EDIT: O Jogo backing the 6M/year story. Astonishing

Apparently an Angolan bank is funding it. Plus Jesus is a Sporting fan and wanted to stay in Portugal.

Just imagine Brendan winning the league twice and going to Everton...

Please do not compare Sporting to Everton, it is quite insulting to insinuate that Sporting are Everton to Benfica's Liverpool, Sporting has a much better history and reputation and MASSIVE trophy cabinet...

Anyway, strayign slightly here, I also heard it was a Sporting Fan Angolan Investor who has offered to pay Jesus wages!! That is nuts, imagine a huge LFC fan who's like some movie star or Billionaire paying player/manager wages, quality haha!!

Hope he does go, he is a great coach, hope we buy some good players too, Sporting deserve to be back at the top, fuck Porto and their corruptness and Benfica... well they are just the ultimate rivals

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: June 4, 2015, 12:09:17 pm »
Interesting article explaining the Jesus switch.

Winning two titles in a row and then being asked to take a paycut seems a bit odd.

http://bifanabifana.blogspot.com/2015/06/crossing-great-divide.html

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 4, 2015, 12:42:35 pm »
Please do not compare Sporting to Everton, it is quite insulting to insinuate that Sporting are Everton to Benfica's Liverpool, Sporting has a much better history and reputation and MASSIVE trophy cabinet...

Anyway, strayign slightly here, I also heard it was a Sporting Fan Angolan Investor who has offered to pay Jesus wages!! That is nuts, imagine a huge LFC fan who's like some movie star or Billionaire paying player/manager wages, quality haha!!

Hope he does go, he is a great coach, hope we buy some good players too, Sporting deserve to be back at the top, fuck Porto and their corruptness and Benfica... well they are just the ultimate rivals

No need to get all touchy, I just used the comparison because Sporting is Benfica's main local rival. I could have used Inter and Milan, Real and Atletico etc. Plus Everton are hardly an insignificant club.

The astonishment on social media over this Jesus deal was hilarious. Interesting to see that many Benfica fans wanted Marco Silva to replace him, and I agree he's a very good and young manager. Bad timing for him at Sporting as a big name like Jorge Jesus backed by a third-party is too good to reject.

Benfica will have a tough time next season I think. Porto losing Danilo, Casemiro and Jackson Martinez will really have to be spot on in their signings.

It might just be the year for Sporting to win the league again.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 4, 2015, 07:44:58 pm »
Marco Silva, the only manager to won a trophy for Sorting in 7 years is sacked.

It's in portuguese, but I think it's understandable... all the managers that went from Benfica to Sporting and what they have done in both teams.

« Last Edit: June 4, 2015, 07:48:23 pm by theartist »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #96 on: June 4, 2015, 07:47:10 pm »
Marco Silva, the only manager to won a trophy for Sorting in 7 years is sacked.

Should have won a trophy for football then.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: June 5, 2015, 05:00:06 pm »
Shameful treatment of Marcos Silva by Sporting. Not only did the went for Jorge Jesus whilst Silva was still at the helm, but they terminated his contract due to misconducts such as 'not complying with the club's dress code' in one league match. Thus they avoid paying him over 1 million euros due to the early breaking of the contract. Petty stuff and the Sporting fans on Facebook/Twitter are appalled.

I wish Marcos Silva went to Benfica, but Rui Vitoria seems nailed on to replace Jesus. Hope Silva gets a good club, he looks like a class man.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2015, 10:50:04 pm »
Maxi Pereira, with 8 years of Benfica goes to Porto because of better wages. Sad day for football.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2015, 02:00:59 pm »
Maxi Pereira, with 8 years of Benfica goes to Porto because of better wages. Sad day for football.
Has it been confirmed? I know everyone is talking about it but I couldn't find an official account.

Porto also seem to have snapped up Danilo Pereira from Maritimo ahead of Sporting. Very good signing, especially since Casemiro left.

Benfica might also lose Lima and Jonas (their two top scorers) to China and get close to 20 million euros for both. Financially it looks like a brilliant deal, as they are both past their 30s. Football-wise, though...it doesn't bode well having lost their manager and apparently Maxi Pereira.

Sporting sold Cedric, right back, to Southampton for 6,5 million euros. He was entering his last year of contract, so not too bad a deal. I like him, but Sporting had better make a profit now rather than lose him for free as extending his contract did not seem possible. On the other hand, it looks like Carrillo is set for a renewal, which is massive for them.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2015, 12:55:55 pm »
Last 5 years.
Money spent versus money received with transfers.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2015, 04:47:58 pm »
What are the latest about Ahmed Hasan going from Rio Ave to Benfica, is he really going to the B-team?

Seems stupid that a player who scored 12 league goals would be playing at a B-team.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2015, 05:24:43 pm »
Any Portuguese fans here that can provide some information about Marco Silva?Thanks. :wave

Offline GoodSpirit

• Main Stander
« Reply #103 on: July 2, 2015, 09:57:54 pm »
Interesting article from Uefa about this new challenge for Jorge Jesus:

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2263084.html

Here are some photos of his presentation and his first day at work:

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later..."

"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog, you must stick together. Then you don't get lost. If there's a secret about Liverpool, that's it."

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 3, 2015, 03:08:42 am »
Looking at Jorge Jesus wiki page

On 4 June 2015, Benfica announced they had concluded negotiations on a possible renewal of contract with Jesus.[63]

On 5 June 2015, Jesus signed a three-year contract with Lisbon rivals Sporting.[64]

What exactly happened here? Anyone?

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 3, 2015, 05:47:56 am »

On 4 June 2015, Benfica announced they had concluded negotiations on a possible renewal of contract with Jesus.[63]

On 5 June 2015, Jesus signed a three-year contract with Lisbon rivals Sporting.[64]

May be concluded as in ended?

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 3, 2015, 08:04:33 am »
Seems to have been just about money.

He's also a sporting fan so I guess it makes sense for him. Can imagine the Benfica fans will be fuming. Players and managers swapping between Benfica/Porto/Sporting seems to occur quite often though, so shouldn't come as a surprise.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 9, 2015, 08:03:45 pm »
Iker Casillas joining Porto in one of the most wtf transfers in portuguese league ever.
News say they will pay him 18M€ for 3 seasons, an absolut record for portuguese league...
The other impressive transfer was the 20M€ deal for the Marseille midfielder Imbula, also a transfer record for Portugal.

We are used to see them selling players for 30M€, not buying them.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2015, 10:03:05 am »
Will be going to Sporting x Paços Ferreira tonight  :wave

The big three won their first game in the league, and Sporting beat Benfica 1-0 in the Super Cup. Jorge Jesus seems to be in the news everyday, and another press war seems to have materialised between Sporting and Benfica.

Porto just sold Alex Sandro to Juventus. Huge loss, though for good money (27m euros). That's on top of other big sales such as Danilo (30m) and Martinez (35m).

In all honesty I am a bit underwhelmed by Benfica's signings this season. They had an absolutely awful pre season and were inferior to Sporting in the Super Cup. Just by virtue of being Benfica they have a lot of strength, but the league is up for grabs.

Offline GoodSpirit

• Main Stander
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2015, 03:18:22 pm »

;D

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2015, 05:10:37 pm »

I still cant believe that! why benfica did not sign a new contract with him. can not follow portuguese football so much but any explanation about that d be good for me
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2015, 10:08:46 pm »
Sporting 1 - 1 Paços Ferreira

Brilliant atmosphere, Sporting fans are well excited for this season. Sadly the players weren't up for it today, fairly poor performance and 2 points lost via a late pen. Apparently it was dodgy but then only heard Sporting fans and haven't seen the replay. Bryan Ruiz is sluggish as fuck, though he did a Garrincha and embarrassed his marker, wish I could find a gif.

On the plus side, saw Aquilani play. Jealous much?  ;D

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2015, 07:25:18 am »
Sporting 1 - 1 Paços Ferreira

Brilliant atmosphere, Sporting fans are well excited for this season. Sadly the players weren't up for it today, fairly poor performance and 2 points lost via a late pen. Apparently it was dodgy but then only heard Sporting fans and haven't seen the replay. Bryan Ruiz is sluggish as fuck, though he did a Garrincha and embarrassed his marker, wish I could find a gif.

On the plus side, saw Aquilani play. Jealous much?  ;D

That peno was bullshit. Two games and two bullshit peno decisions already, one for and one against (not given) I hate the refs in Portugal, there's an agenda for sure

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2015, 04:34:46 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRLGZdUvASk

Penalty at 6:06.

I've seen softer penalties being given and if it were in Sporting's favour I doubt there would such a brouhaha. It looked like a certain penalty at the ground and at first glance, though the replay shows it was a bit soft. João Pereira hardly covers himself in glory by falling onto the attacker. Awful defending. Even if one thinks it was not a penalty, it certainly wasn't that easy a decision to warrant this outcry.

Some Sporting fans threw rocks at the ref's car as he exited the stadium. Snuck a peek at a Sporting's board and everyone seemed to be happy with the action, with some saying the refs should be intimidated after the match if he went against Sporting, much like Porto used to do.

I am sorry but Sportinguistas are whiny as fuck. It's always a conspiracy. Earlier in the week it was the 'UEFA mafia' in the CSKA game as well. Bruno de Carvalho seems to egg the supporters on as basically acting like one of them with power. Ironically clapped the refs off the pitch yesterday. This coming from the bloody president. He loves taking the centre stage and acting like a clown, however efficient and crucial his tenure has been at the club. Perfect fit for Jesus as well, who loves a sideline show.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:38:46 pm by Johnny B. Goode »

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2015, 08:56:42 am »
I disagree about the whining, the UEFA conspiracy come from the penalty claim, which was about 10 feet away from the goal line ref yet he gives nothing, the same comment was made by Monaco in their clash, those refs are absolutely useless c*nts and they do not belong on the pitch.

The rock throwing is of course poor but that was a minority, like there are a minority of idiot LFC fans and same for, guess what, every community in the world, everywhere has idiots so painting everyone with the same brush is just poor.

However, Yes, the President is an attention diva.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2015, 10:24:10 pm »
Tecatito scores two on his debut for Porto.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2015, 12:14:20 pm »
Taking my son to the Porto / Pacos De Ferreira game on 5th December. It's a6.30pm kick off and we get to Porto on the morning of the game. Will tickets be available to buy on the day?
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2015, 02:43:56 pm »
Taking my son to the Porto / Pacos De Ferreira game on 5th December. It's a6.30pm kick off and we get to Porto on the morning of the game. Will tickets be available to buy on the day?

I would imagine so as PF is a smaller team and Porto don't sell out their stadium for those sort of games, only recently have Portuguese teams started selling out some games again due to economy and ticket price reductions.

Anyway make sure you buy from the ticket office outside the stadium or another official place and not random street blokes that seem official, goes without saying but just in case...

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2015, 08:36:04 pm »
I would imagine so as PF is a smaller team and Porto don't sell out their stadium for those sort of games, only recently have Portuguese teams started selling out some games again due to economy and ticket price reductions.

Anyway make sure you buy from the ticket office outside the stadium or another official place and not random street blokes that seem official, goes without saying but just in case...
Nice one. Will go "official" for sure.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2015, 07:06:16 pm »
Benfica won 2-0 at home and Porto drew away in the CL.

Sporting lost at home in the Europa League to Lokomotiv  :butt Seems they haven't found the best line up or formation yet.

Porto x Benfica tomorrow, should be a cracking game as always.