Author Topic: Entrepreneurs on rawk  (Read 43573 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Entrepreneurs on rawk
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2015, 04:40:41 pm »
So has anyone else left their self-assessment/tax return to the last minute?  :-X

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2015, 01:26:29 pm »
i got let go from my job on friday within my 6 month probation period. i'm 21 and it was my first proper job since my degree. although i conducted myself professionally my boss accused me of "not being arsed about the job". although i did care about the job deep down i find it impossible to fake passion for a business that isnt my own and would have done the job for 2 years just to save up to start my catering business. so i'm left with an accounting and finance degree with no passion to go into that field and about £6k i've saved up. i said the other day the only job i've ever been proud of was my paper round when the papershop had let everyone go due to insurance issues so i went round the area offering my services for a fee and was making treble the money i was working for the papershop. that may not sound much but i think theres more soul in doing something that belongs to me than working just like everybody else. i'd love to pour my time and passion for food into someone elses business and increase sales and see the reward rather than sitting in front of a screen all day. i sort of need a mentor
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2015, 01:33:00 pm »
i'd love to pour my time and passion for food into someone elses business and increase sales and see the reward rather than sitting in front of a screen all day. i sort of need a mentor

Write an extremely well written letter detailing all this, details about you and your drive, etc. and send it out to as many of the local food related businesses around you which you think you'd be happy working for and doing just this. If you're able to fund yourself whilst doing to work experience then offer this in the letter too.

You never know what it could end up leading to and wouldn't be that expensive to give it a try even if it leads to nothing.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2015, 11:11:43 am »
Question for anyone that might know.

I'm taking full advantage of a huge conservatory, greenhouse, and acre of garden and have gone mad growing fruit and veg.

Hoping to sell lots at farmers markets, and car boot sales etc.

I guess I'm okay legally selling fresh produce, but when my 100 various chilli/pepper plants start cropping I'll be wanting to add value by turning the chillies/peppers into paste/chutney/dry rubs etc. Am I allowed to just start knocking it out in my own kitchen if it's for resale, or do I need any 'legal requirements' regarding food hygiene etc ?
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2015, 07:36:08 pm »
I need some advice regarding deals involving sponsorships.

When is it right to become a sponsor for a team or an athlete or the likes (in sports)?

Currently my close friend is running a firm that manufactures socks, uniforms and the likes for schools and colleges and also other things. It uses it's own clothing material and is planning to get bigger than it is (which is not too big and not too small).

Anyway it'll take at least 2-3 years to break even but in the mean time I am doing everything I can to get new deals for him, for a commission of course and I am currently looking at sponsoring an athlete or a low level sports team.

The company is based in India and yest there are a lot of options for low budget here but I just want to know what are the metrics involved in these type of deals.. would be of help if someone can provide me the details.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2015, 08:04:27 pm »
Sponsorships are more for brand awareness than anything else. You'd be better off using the money you'd spend on a sponsorship (unless it's exceptionally low cost, or in exchange for goods which are low cost) on more direct sales methods - especially because you're working on commission.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2015, 09:07:04 pm »
Sponsorships are more for brand awareness than anything else. You'd be better off using the money you'd spend on a sponsorship (unless it's exceptionally low cost, or in exchange for goods which are low cost) on more direct sales methods - especially because you're working on commission.

Agreed.

Was wondering when would be the right time to do it. I actually work full time in an MNC currently and am doing this as an aside but would love to get involved more often as it gets bigger and bigger.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2015, 09:32:15 pm »
Contact your local authority, if I was you. Regulations vary between Scotland, England, Wales and N.Ireland, and even regionally within that from county to county. I suspect you'll need to register with your local environmental health dept, and probably have an EHO inspection. For this you will probably be required to take a food hygiene course (I reckon the basic one is probably fine for the sort of scale you're talking about, but again, check with them). They may even require you to have created a HACCP Plan (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point Plan), to think about at which point in the process the critical food safety control points come, and what the limits are for food safety. This sounds more difficult than it really is :)

In Wales there is an awful lot of support, and very cheap courses available for such things. Not sure about elsewhere. I'm in an Objective 1 area, so we get a lot of EU funding. I imagine where you've just moved to is in a similar situation!?

I can help with the HACCP / Food Safety stuff if you need it, but your first point of contact should definitely be your local environmental health department. In my experience, they are a helpful resource as much as a regulatory nuisance ;)

Brilliant, thanks.
 :)

I'll get on it tomorrow, I also need to ask regarding selling eggs as well. Got a load of ducks coming shortly.
There's farmers markets up round here quite regularly, 3 car boot sales every week within a 10 mile radius, and hopefully I'll get an 'in' at one or two of the many restaurants in the area.

Thanks Rhi.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2015, 05:05:02 am »
When you run your own business, there's no real time off.  It's 24/7/365.3.

Running your own business makes you appreciate punching a clock, getting a regular paycheck, and turning it all off at 5 until the next day.

Some people start their own business after tiring of working for arseholes only to find they've continued the trend.
Kill the humourless

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2015, 08:37:15 am »

Running your own business makes you appreciate punching a clock, getting a regular paycheck, and turning it all off at 5 until the next day.

Some people start their own business after tiring of working for arseholes only to find they've continued the trend.

Very true.

I was SE for just shy of 20 years working as a spark. Be at the wholesalers for 7 every morning, drive to the job, do a days work. Then home and you start you're secondary job as office clerk. Tieing up invoices, pricing jobs, speaking to prospective clients etc etc.

Never being able to turn work away, sometimes dealing with customers that think they can re-negotiate agreed prices once the job is completed, having the phone ringing at all manner of times. Never knowing when you'll get paid.

It's a bloody nightmare at times. Would do it all again though.

There's not many people get to the point that Joe Public thinks all SE/Business owners are at. "It must be great being able to come and go as you please."

One thing I will always say though to people thinking of doing it, just do it. Have a go. If you're going to have regrets make sure it's not that you didn't have a go.
 :)

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2015, 11:00:24 am »
i got let go from my job on friday within my 6 month probation period. i'm 21 and it was my first proper job since my degree. although i conducted myself professionally my boss accused me of "not being arsed about the job". although i did care about the job deep down i find it impossible to fake passion for a business that isnt my own and would have done the job for 2 years just to save up to start my catering business. so i'm left with an accounting and finance degree with no passion to go into that field and about £6k i've saved up. i said the other day the only job i've ever been proud of was my paper round when the papershop had let everyone go due to insurance issues so i went round the area offering my services for a fee and was making treble the money i was working for the papershop. that may not sound much but i think theres more soul in doing something that belongs to me than working just like everybody else. i'd love to pour my time and passion for food into someone elses business and increase sales and see the reward rather than sitting in front of a screen all day. i sort of need a mentor

I think you are me?

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2015, 03:56:52 pm »

all this true

but every minute I put into my business benefits me

if im working at 10PM on a friday, it benefits me, not my boss

If I want to take off in the middle of the week to do something that wont be busy at the weekends then i can adjust my schedule accordingly

i never have to wait until 5PM or a time set by someone else to go home

there are loads of down sides

your ignoring the upsides

the down side is that you can fuck up and end up stony broke

but a part of it is attitude and having a full glass mentality that everything will work out

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2015, 04:08:09 pm »
and the other part is not getting married until your business is doing good.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2015, 04:22:02 pm »
and the other part is not getting married until your business is doing good.

ha ha 
2 marriages down since I started the business

good point

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2015, 08:01:30 pm »
ha ha 
2 marriages down since I started the business

good point

;D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #175 on: September 6, 2015, 08:38:29 pm »
So how are people progressing with their plans?

Been working on one myself for the last few months, mostly developing the site and planning everything in precise detail, been slow going though as doing it around other work for another business which is keeping me really busy.

In doing the planning I've identified another opportunity too, for a product which I need to fulfil orders but isn't really widely available, the demand for this type of product will only increase too. So debating if to move on this too, thankfully if so its not something which would require much custom dev work to set up and marketing wise it's not labour intensive (i.e. not requiring content marketing), so it shouldn't take up a massive amount of my time.

Planning new year launches for both hopefully. Between now and then I need to begin a planned content marketing campaign and finish the dev work on both sites. Do able but gonna be some late nights to do it around other work!

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: September 6, 2015, 11:00:11 pm »

Been working on one myself for the last few months, mostly developing the site and planning everything in precise detail, been slow going though as doing it around other work for another business which is keeping me really busy.

In doing the planning I've identified another opportunity too, for a product which I need to fulfil orders but isn't really widely available, the demand for this type of product will only increase too. So debating if to move on this too, thankfully if so its not something which would require much custom dev work to set up and marketing wise it's not labour intensive (i.e. not requiring content marketing), so it shouldn't take up a massive amount of my time.

Planning new year launches for both hopefully. Between now and then I need to begin a planned content marketing campaign and finish the dev work on both sites. Do able but gonna be some late nights to do it around other work!

RAWK ??

:-X

;D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #177 on: September 6, 2015, 11:01:14 pm »

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #178 on: September 7, 2015, 04:54:31 pm »
Is there any courier owners on here who could give me some advice?

Thanks

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 7, 2015, 06:01:40 pm »

Funnily enough I've got my arse in gear on mine again. All I can say at the mo is, thank fuck for trello boards ;D

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #180 on: September 7, 2015, 10:48:00 pm »
I did something recently I would not have done a while back. Ive found myself getting very stale at work and my interest level had peaked for a while. Not for a bad reason. Ive managed to build up a decent amount of business for the first time in a long time and I no longer have the interest of chasing new clients or new projects. I have a few long term projects so all aI have to worry about is the total grind of doing them.
I basically work alone and have employees who work in the field. I have no peers I can talk to and no spouse/other half I can have a business conversation with and all my real mates are in UK.  I decided to ask for a free consultation from a group in the US called SCORE. Its basically retired guys who offer their time for free to clients. They may get petrol money back but Im not sure.
I found the ability to talk openly about business to someone an absolute god send. I have not been able to do that for years and it really took a huge amount of stress off me just being able to voice things out loud. I dont know if there is an equivalent group in England but I found it great. They also work with start ups and work with people to develop business plans and second guess number projections etc..

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #181 on: September 8, 2015, 04:32:25 pm »
I'm just on my way home from a trade exhibition in London, where I launched my new business. Same product area that I've worked in for much of my adult life, but I've only ever helped other people launch their own brands using my product knowledge before now. So this week I launched my own retail brand. It's a product that has been very successful in other European countries, but no-one in the UK has managed to really grab hold of the UK market yet. Feedback from the exhibition was great, but the hard work starts now, really! :)

Thats amazing.

Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:57:33 am by Rhi »

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #182 on: September 8, 2015, 04:46:40 pm »
I'm just on my way home from a trade exhibition in London, where I launched my new business. Same product area that I've worked in for much of my adult life, but I've only ever helped other people launch their own brands using my product knowledge before now. So this week I launched my own retail brand. It's a product that has been very successful in other European countries, but no-one in the UK has managed to really grab hold of the UK market yet. Feedback from the exhibition was great, but the hard work starts now, really! :)

http://froxen.co.uk/

Really beautiful website! I noticed that the linking to the FAQ's doesn't work though (it doesn't scroll down automatically when you click FAQ's). Tell your IT human to check it! Good luck getting in to shops, your product does look very sellable.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #183 on: September 8, 2015, 04:54:40 pm »
Really beautiful website! I noticed that the linking to the FAQ's doesn't work though (it doesn't scroll down automatically when you click FAQ's). Tell your IT human to check it! Good luck getting in to shops, your product does look very sellable.

+ your social links in the header only link back to your website and not your social accounts.

Lovely site though, and more importantly the product looks great. Hope it goes really well for you and will be keeping an eye out for it.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 8, 2015, 06:35:12 pm »

Best of luck with it Rhi! I hope you're going back to whoever built the site (or WP theme?) as there's a few things and the biggest one is your responsive (hamburger) menu, the MQ that brings it in doesn't adjust the social icons and makes them jump down the page but also, once it's open and you click a link it doesn't close so you have to scroll back up and press the icon again ;D

It's also possible to see both menus, round about 960px wide there's a MQ clash where they both are true.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2015, 06:37:34 pm by Claire. »

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #185 on: September 9, 2015, 09:31:25 am »

Firewall in work blocked this fyi. Never seen a site blocked before in here so just letting you know
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:57:41 am by Rhi »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 9, 2015, 11:32:01 am »
Awesome guys, thanks. Will get on to the web people today. Been mad busy getting everything else set up and left this to the "experts". I knew there were some issues with the responsive design as I noticed it on my phone, but not the rest of it. Cheers! :D

Ask them to address this, too:

I think that's a tad extreme for a one page product website!

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #187 on: September 9, 2015, 12:16:21 pm »

Brilliant that Rhi, well done! Hope all goes well and and the enevitable hard work gets you to your vision.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #188 on: September 9, 2015, 01:33:29 pm »
Typo on front page, Rhi, "IT" tastes yummy.
Kill the humourless

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #189 on: September 9, 2015, 01:36:29 pm »
Awesome guys, thanks. Will get on to the web people today. Been mad busy getting everything else set up and left this to the "experts". I knew there were some issues with the responsive design as I noticed it on my phone, but not the rest of it. Cheers! :D

You also spelt 'frozen' wrong. :wave

Best of luck with it!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 9, 2015, 02:20:46 pm »
Let it go.

:lmao killer.

You bastard that is going to rule my head now, that sodding tune.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #191 on: September 9, 2015, 02:24:18 pm »
Let it go.

I knew someone would say it!

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: September 9, 2015, 04:33:55 pm »
Rhi - a suggestion. Loads of press at the moment about paying farmers a fair price for their dairy produce.  Do you do this? If so, make sure you state this somewhere on the site.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2015, 09:52:46 am »
Currently running courier business which i turnover £70,000 in the last year, have got 1 contract with a brewery but the day to day business can vary. I do not own any of my own vans i just get self employed drivers to work for me and take the deliveries.

As i have only got the 1 contract i am looking to push further but need some ideas thrown at me??

Cheers

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2015, 09:59:42 am »
Currently running courier business which i turnover £70,000 in the last year, have got 1 contract with a brewery but the day to day business can vary. I do not own any of my own vans i just get self employed drivers to work for me and take the deliveries.

As i have only got the 1 contract i am looking to push further but need some ideas thrown at me??

Cheers

Are you limited to any areas for collection and/or delivery?

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2015, 10:07:20 am »
Are you limited to any areas for collection and/or delivery?

No any areas, i have my own drivers all over the country and also im using Courier Exchange if you have heard of it? Just need more regular work etc

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2015, 10:17:56 am »
No any areas, i have my own drivers all over the country and also im using Courier Exchange if you have heard of it? Just need more regular work etc

If you're confident of being able to beat the prices of the main couriers, or at least match their prices but offer a higher level of service (quicker, better tracking, etc) then I'd look at contacting ecommerce companies directly. If you're already in a certain ecommerce niche with other contracts you have then maybe look at starting by expanding within that.

Speaking as someone who owns an online store...

Start with the small-medium ones as these will be the ones more likely to change, it will also be easy to find addresses for these and the people reading anything they receive is more likely to be someone with a bit of power to make decisions.

Rather than just sending a generic letter or email, show them how you can be better for them specifically. So estimate what their likely delivery costs are (is fairly easy to guess what their average box size/weight would be in most cases) and then compare your costs to those of the main couriers.

Don't go mass emailing or letter sending though.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2015, 10:31:50 am »
If you're confident of being able to beat the prices of the main couriers, or at least match their prices but offer a higher level of service (quicker, better tracking, etc) then I'd look at contacting ecommerce companies directly. If you're already in a certain ecommerce niche with other contracts you have then maybe look at starting by expanding within that.

Start with the small-medium ones as these will be the ones more likely to change, it will also be easy to find addresses for these and the people reading anything they receive is more likely to be someone with a bit of power to make decisions.

Rather than just sending a generic letter or email, show them how you can be better for them specifically. So estimate what their likely delivery costs are (is fairly easy to guess what their average box size/weight would be in most cases) and then compare your costs to those of the main couriers.

Thanks for the advice, do you think it would be hard as i only have self employed drivers and not employed?

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2015, 10:36:17 am »

Also it would be quite hard to guess estimated costs as the costs goes off mileage and not weight so it would vary from each delivery.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2015, 10:47:22 am »
The self employed thing wouldn't be an issue, at least not to me. If you can show you provide a top service at competitive prices then that's what will matter most to those looking for a courier service.

The per mile thing would be an issue though. For me it's a lot easier to plan my costs, and therefore what I can offer customers on my site, if I know it'll be £7.95 to deliver round the corner or to the other end of the country. The last thing I want is to either surprise customers with increased delivery costs because they happen to be further away from me (sure fire way for me to lose the sale) or for me to have to absorb a higher delivery cost for a customer who is further away.