Author Topic: Portland, Oregon  (Read 10035 times)

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
Portland, Oregon
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:10:19 pm »
Anybody who has visited this city, or lives there? Any travel-tips? I'm curious about every aspect of this city.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Portland, Oregon
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:10:29 am »
I want to go too... for the music mainly. Have a few friends in Portland... here they are:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EQOqEkZPWjQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EQOqEkZPWjQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Mike and Paul, two of the most welcome people on earth to knock on my door... and again, as Paul and 'Gord' (filmed in Portland):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fuRKRFjm-HA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fuRKRFjm-HA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

(I remember upoading this on here when it had 100 viewers... it's now 1.7m.)

Their drummer kipped over. He didn't vomit tho. Had a few others over from Portland too.. Last of the Juanitas - lovely bunch. I have this image in my head that everyone in Portland is lovely.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:17:55 am »
Lived there for 4 years. One of the best places on the planet. It's relatively cheap to live there and they have great great beer, especially ipas and Outstanding food, and the rest of Oregon & the PNW is wonderful too.
And football, NBA and a thriving running culture and music scene like Filler mentions its just great.

Travel tips. Try and get to the coast and the Columbia Gorge and the high desert. See Timberline lodge (the overlook if you're a fan of the shining). The Willamette valley is nice wine (Pinot noir) country with a great abundance of berries and nuts and all the beef is grass fed.
It's fun to take the train to Seattle or Vancouver and the train East through Idaho to Whitefish in the Rockies is Epic.
It's easy and cheap ( I've had tickets for $30)  to see the Blazers and there's a direct flight from Amsterdam.
I could go on, it's boss.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 11:50:24 pm »
Thanks, fellas.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 12:23:33 am »
Thanks, fellas.

Deffo check out a Timbers/Sounders match, truly quality atmosphere in a country where you might not expect it...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/08/26/video-seattle-sounders-emerald-city-supporters-set-portland-timbers-alight-a
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:30:28 am »
Lived in Portland for a couple of years right after getting married 10 years ago.

To be honest, it's an absolutely brilliant city.  The coast, which is amazing and beautiful, just an hour and a half drive away.  Drive down the coast from Cannon Beach, have a picnic lunch in one of the state parks or at a diner in Manzanita or somewhere like that, then ice cream at the Tillamook cheese factory in the afternoon.  Or go up the other direction, an hour or two gets you up into the Cascades and there is brilliant camping/hiking if you're into that sort of thing (and I am).  Do the Columbia Gorge for sure and see the waterfalls - there's loads to explore.

The city itself is full of hidden treasures, craft beer breweries, eclectic coffee shops, and the like.  Don't miss the Saturday market in the summer - absolutely crammed with Portland weirdness/beauty.

Great place.  I haven't been back for more than a quick visit in years, but I miss it.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Pheeny

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:44:50 am by Pheeny »

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Sounders til I die! www.weareecs.com
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #7 on: September 2, 2013, 05:43:10 am »
Deffo check out a Timbers/Sounders match, truly quality atmosphere in a country where you might not expect it...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/08/26/video-seattle-sounders-emerald-city-supporters-set-portland-timbers-alight-a
Good luck getting a ticket.

I will be there because I get my ticket through the ECS.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2013, 05:46:49 am by Frog »
The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-
Full of dreams to last the years, in Seattle- in Seattle!

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 05:47:51 am »
Portland is featured in Condé Nast Traveller this month.
If you're into vintage clothes shops and 5 star hotels like  :P

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 09:16:26 pm »
Anybody who has visited this city, or lives there? Any travel-tips? I'm curious about every aspect of this city.

I'll be there for Christmas. Have family there. Lived there 20 years.

When are you going? What time of year?
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 09:18:16 pm »

Do alot of work in the Pac-NW and must say that both Oregon and Seattle are class.  Really like the way of life in Oregon and the people, the beer and the footy culture is class.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 10:14:12 pm »
Traffic is a bitch though..lol
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 07:02:19 am »
Never been there but I've heard the Timbers sell out every home game. Is that true?
YWNA

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 09:52:06 am »
I've not been this season but I think that's right. The timbers supporters are fanatical about the team. And this season they were decent so I'm sure tickets were hard to come by.
Even under Spencer when they weren't doing so well folks would queue for hours to get a ticket.
And in my opinion there is no more authentic North American football experience than having a few drinks and walking up burnside to the match. In the right light it could be Walton Breck Road (only more plaid & beards)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 09:57:26 pm »
Lovely place but I suggest you to visit SF and Seattle too if you will be in that area for a few weeks

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 05:47:54 pm »
I went there about 20 years ago and really liked it. It was the first American city where I went to Hooters for what it's worth and I do enjoy that particular chain.

When I was last in Oregon about 5 years ago and on a tight schedule, we had the option of a night there or stay in the state capital, Salem. Having been to Portland before, we opted for Salem. It was a big mistake as Salem is pretty dull and we missed a good opportunity to re-visit lovely Portland.

Anyway, I won't make the same mistake again next time I'm in Oregon!

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 08:30:03 am »
When portland had a baseball team, of course they were the coolest team in the history of baseball.

Portland Mavericks movie:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RA76b5Hhvxg
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:36:41 am by kavah »

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 11:25:09 am »
my top 5 portland pubs

= 1.The Landmark Saloon
...bordello-worthy Victorian chintz wallpaper, bourbon-barrel tables, a burgundy velvet fainting couch and classic Pendleton blankets...

=1. The Low Brow. The Pearl's best (only) dive bar. PBR, Guiness and Whiskey. And Brian's boss tuneage

3. Kells. Breakfast, football, and Gerrard the boss is sound (for a man u fan)

4. Devils Point, stripperaoke: mixed crowd, very portland, if you only ever go to one strip club.
... belt out your favorite tune, while a lovely and talented lady interprets your vocal emotions though movement and dance

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/19/stripparoke-stripping-karaoke-portland-oregon-devils-point

« Last Edit: April 8, 2022, 08:31:41 am by kavah »

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 05:36:30 am »
This is a design project with the objective of improving the design of everyday bicycles.

http://oregonmanifest.com/the-project/

...We’ve partnered high-level design firms with American bicycle craftsmen to collaboratively develop the next-wave urban bike. Five teams from five cycling-centric cities are competing to concept, create and champion their unique vision of tomorrow’s bicycle for the everyday rider.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2022, 08:28:04 am by kavah »

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 01:42:45 am »
A cracking little piece about road-trips in the PNW

The Weekender: An Outsiders Guide to the Pacific North West

LAKE DIABLO
CAPE DISAPPOINTMENT
RUBY BEACH & LAKE CRESCENT (The Olympic Peninsula)
WAHCLELLA FALLS
CAPE KIWANDA (Ocean cliffs)
BIG FOUR ICE CAVES
CRATER LAKE
BAGBY HOT SPRINGS

http://www.industrypdx.com/inspire/the-weekender/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:53:38 am by kavah »

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 08:40:13 am »
Isnt Portland widely regarded as the birthplace of the Hipster
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 10:55:38 am »
The whole PNW is full of hipsters. Its not a bad thing though since that means they do have some great pubs, beer, restaurants and shops.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 7, 2015, 01:52:34 am »
 :champ :hally

Champions!! made up for the Timbers Army

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 7, 2015, 11:33:15 pm »
Isnt Portland widely regarded as the birthplace of the Hipster
Williamsburg Brooklyn.

I imagine that city will be buzzing right now, Portland has been pretty unlucky as a sport's city,they only had one sport's team with the Trailblazer for a long time.

Their NBA team had the #1 picks in the NBA and turned down Michael Jordan in the 84 and Kevin Durant in 07.  ;D

PNW looks an amazing place to live for outdoors stuff and with being a huge mountain bike fan it's probably the best region in the world for it around Squamish/Vancouver/Whistler in BC...Bellingham & Spokane in Washington and Bend in Oregon.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 08:21:05 am »
A new football bar in Portland (and certainly the best bog door in North America) - run by a blue, but one of the Grandparents is a staunch red  ;D

http://www.oregonlive.com/drinks/2016/08/portlands_best_new_soccer_bar.html
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:55:05 pm by kavah »

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 01:13:11 am »
They loved the bog door so much it's the Sunday league kit now.

90s kop on the wall too

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 04:03:18 pm »
Theres a store and pub called 'Wankers Corner' which is a must visit for a photo op. Plus they sell t-shirts. The owner is well aware its amusing to us brits as he recanted to me that he came from a long line of Wankers. Nice fella and great coffee.

http://wankerscorner.com/

My late father lived there and I visited Portland often. Its a terrific city, full of great bars and pubs. Top quality amber ales and porters and good music. I wandered into a cafe and they were playing Champion by Wigans Finest! Its a clued up city.

Tip - Fly to Vancouver and get the flight to Portland from there. Its quicker. Plus as its Vancouver, the airport is spotless and they have smoking rooms.

Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 11:58:36 pm »
Having my summer hols in Portland - it's boiling - they absolutely love the football here

Mersey Cider :D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2018, 01:13:52 am »
Having my summer hols in Portland - it's boiling - they absolutely love the football here

Mersey Cider :D

They take the Timbers, and the Thorns, very fucking seriously...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 4, 2018, 03:06:31 pm »
The only football pub in North America with it's own South American art work

The Toffee Club on Hawthorne

http://www.toffeeclubpdx.com/new-page/

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 5, 2020, 01:34:22 pm »
John Oliver at the Portland Everton pub  ;D

the old link expired here's another one from insta - hope the pub reopens soon, sadly missed back again after Covid  :scarf  - sorry there's no blue scarf emoji  ;D

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6rRauihW0t/?igshid=l2a46bsbfsxg
« Last Edit: April 8, 2022, 08:40:49 am by kavah »

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 5, 2020, 02:46:14 pm »
My wife was born / raised in Everett WA, not too far away.  Seattle Sounders AND Toon fan  :)

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #33 on: January 6, 2020, 11:31:05 pm »

Proper Red he is, what a Lad!
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 7, 2020, 09:57:18 am »

With it being an Everton pub i notice "Football" is at the bottom of the list on the sign :)

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 1, 2020, 12:01:13 pm »

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #36 on: December 1, 2020, 01:06:41 pm »
If you're into aviation, the Air and Space museum in McMinville is nearby and absolutely boss. We took a short detour to go there on a Seattle to LA trip last year. They have a Saturn V rocket inside the hangar, a Titan booster rocket in a mock up of a cold war style silo that you can go down into and initiate a 'launch', an SR71 Blackbird (amazing), and, the highlight for me, the original Howard Hughes designed H4 Hercules (the spruce goose). We had a guided tour of the plane (book in advance), got to sit in Howards seat, it was an amazing experience. To say it's huge is an understatement, it's an amazing piece of engineering. There's plenty of other unusual stuff that you don't really see on our side of the pond, and the staff are really friendly; the guy who gave us the tour of the Hercules bumped into us later on in the museum and asked if we wanted to have a look around a DC3 with the original airline style cabin etc that they don't usually let you go in. Oh, and there's a 747 on the roof. It's really well done with plenty of interesting exhibits. If you like this sort of thing, I can't recommend it enough.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2020, 08:25:44 am by butchersdog »

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2021, 04:13:47 am »
New ale for the good folk of Portland to enjoy while watching the match tomorrow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKEigmbhwWv/?igshid=12f1xijakcwt5

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 8, 2022, 08:25:45 am »
Another great pub in Portland

The Sports Bra

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #39 on: April 8, 2022, 09:23:18 am »
Wait a minute, there's something bothering me about that image... I know! That lesbian bar doesn't have a fire exit!
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez