Author Topic: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU  (Read 330307 times)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU
« Reply #3320 on: November 19, 2017, 06:48:31 pm »
I think the Martha thing from BvS is worse than Shwarma.

It's like me having a fight with someone in town and then as I'm about to knock them out the lad says to me "Wait! My mums name is Kate" and I go "Oh shit! Mine too! Let's team up and go for a bevvy."

Sorry your mom died in front of you when you were nine...

Haha it's not really the same thing but the Martha stuff does make me cringe. I get what they were going for, but it just didn't work.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3321 on: November 19, 2017, 10:38:21 pm »
Actually thought they were going to say martha again at one point :D

Online sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #3322 on: November 20, 2017, 10:32:39 am »
Watched JL on Friday and wasn't expecting much. Thought it was ok to be honest, when its good its pretty good and when its bad, its very bad. Thought Batman was just awful in the film, sums up everything DC is doing wrong. Batman is a wise cracking funny man full of one liners, he is a serious, in and out kind of guy and they turning into the old clown of the group.

Like someone else said, kind of a shitter Age of Ultron but just not as funny. But its not too bad.
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3323 on: November 20, 2017, 06:21:50 pm »
It's good food, not quite a kebab as I understand it but similar.

But it's from the end of the first Avenger movie. Stark flies the nuke through the portal, falls back, gets KOed and Hulk catches him. He wakes up and hilariously asks everyone about Shwarma. Then post credits, they all eat shwarma hilariously. It's just so hilarious! New York is fucked, people are dead but hahaha shwarma!

I love how many times you tried to get this shwarma thing to fly before someone finally bit on it.

What you forget is that it only appeared in a jokey post-credits sequence. And I don't believe that it spoiled the fun of that movie for anybody who was enjoying it all the way to the end credits. In fact, the only people I've seen complain about it tend to be DC fanboys reacting to the whole "Superman destroyed Metropolis and didn't seem to give a shit" thing, which is a totally different statement about a very different scene in a very different film.

But yeah, I've never tried shwarma, either.

Might go and see Justice League later. Can't be as bad as BvS, can it?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3324 on: November 20, 2017, 06:29:53 pm »
I love how many times you tried to get this shwarma thing to fly before someone finally bit on it.

What you forget is that it only appeared in a jokey post-credits sequence. And I don't believe that it spoiled the fun of that movie for anybody who was enjoying it all the way to the end credits. In fact, the only people I've seen complain about it tend to be DC fanboys reacting to the whole "Superman destroyed Metropolis and didn't seem to give a shit" thing, which is a totally different statement about a very different scene in a very different film.

It's the entire ethos of the MCU boiled into one scene. Taking that post literally is missing the point.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3325 on: November 20, 2017, 06:52:54 pm »

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3326 on: November 20, 2017, 06:55:32 pm »

It's a more focused and streamlined film. It's basically a generic of generic plot stuff that all they had to do was just plug in a basic sequence, and yet, somehow, they even managed to fuck that up. There's no convoluted stuff going on. There's no Lex Luther stuff, or political meanderings regarding Superman and what the implications of him being an all powerful being and the events of MoS meant to humanity. It disregards all that shite in favour of just trying to attempt a Avengers type save the world team up film. The problem is that it still manages to suffer from all the same issues as both MoS and BvS, but without some of the more well done stuff that those two films had, especially the Batman action sequences for BvS. It still feels like a film where large swaths of it were left on the cutting room floor, and scenes just happen because stuff has to happen with no regard for pacing. It's a rushed, jumbled mess of a film.

Lobo's gif is a perfect response to that question.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:57:49 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3327 on: November 21, 2017, 11:12:25 am »

Its not that bad, thankfully.

Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3328 on: November 21, 2017, 01:16:12 pm »
Saw it tonight, while I think it's fine, it isn't really worth delving any deeper into, which isn't high praise but whatever. More irritated that this is how I feel about a fucking Justice League movie than anything. This is what happens when you try and cobble a shared universe together on the run instead of building it piece by piece.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3329 on: November 22, 2017, 05:03:27 pm »
BvS was better.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3330 on: November 23, 2017, 12:37:34 am »
It's a more focused and streamlined film. It's basically a generic of generic plot stuff that all they had to do was just plug in a basic sequence, and yet, somehow, they even managed to fuck that up. There's no convoluted stuff going on. There's no Lex Luther stuff, or political meanderings regarding Superman and what the implications of him being an all powerful being and the events of MoS meant to humanity. It disregards all that shite in favour of just trying to attempt a Avengers type save the world team up film. The problem is that it still manages to suffer from all the same issues as both MoS and BvS, but without some of the more well done stuff that those two films had, especially the Batman action sequences for BvS. It still feels like a film where large swaths of it were left on the cutting room floor, and scenes just happen because stuff has to happen with no regard for pacing. It's a rushed, jumbled mess of a film.

Lobo's gif is a perfect response to that question.

Yep. You're spot on there. Not awful, but misses the target one way or another more often than not.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #3331 on: November 23, 2017, 02:24:47 pm »
Few good moments but other than that it's a complete garbage and almost felt asleep in the last third of the movie. At least that's what I thought about Justice League.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3332 on: November 23, 2017, 09:17:43 pm »
My boy loved it. I thought it was ok. Thought flash was a bit annoying, and he runs silly.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3333 on: November 23, 2017, 10:54:54 pm »
Thought Justice league was great myself, really enjoyed it. Been tonight with the lad who also enjoyed it but he's a Marvel fanboy if I'm honest so he didn't rave about it like me on the way home.

Don't know what it is in regards to myself though, I just seem to enjoy DC movies more than most.  Just that slightly bit darker which I love.

Thought the villain Steppenwolf was fucking brilliant in this.

Wish Id watched it in 3D now as the 'Bullet time' scenes with the Flash looked perfect for 3D

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #3334 on: November 27, 2017, 12:02:04 pm »
This was so fucking bad. On top of seeing it at the Wembley multiplex so we had to pay £40 parking (don't work down in the south, you've no idea how good it is up north when you can't get ripped off like that); every character was written out of character, Wonder Woman was the one shining light of success in this franchise and they had upskirt shots of her (and then Momoa didn't look too great in his shirtless scenes as a counter), every 3rd line was a joke Avengers style quip when less would have been more. I actually fell asleep during the middle which was the first time in my life I've done that at a cinema. I don't even remember what that fight in the middle was about? One of the mcguffin cubes I think,

Spoiler
Everyone gets beaten up by Steppenwolf, and then they revive Superman who beats him in ONE PUUUUNNNCCCHHH. I think Whedon went for another Hulk/Loki style fight there but you can only do it once!!!
[close]

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3335 on: November 27, 2017, 06:18:11 pm »
This was so fucking bad. On top of seeing it at the Wembley multiplex so we had to pay £40 parking (don't work down in the south, you've no idea how good it is up north when you can't get ripped off like that); every character was written out of character, Wonder Woman was the one shining light of success in this franchise and they had upskirt shots of her (and then Momoa didn't look too great in his shirtless scenes as a counter), every 3rd line was a joke Avengers style quip when less would have been more. I actually fell asleep during the middle which was the first time in my life I've done that at a cinema. I don't even remember what that fight in the middle was about? One of the mcguffin cubes I think,

Spoiler
Everyone gets beaten up by Steppenwolf, and then they revive Superman who beats him in ONE PUUUUNNNCCCHHH. I think Whedon went for another Hulk/Loki style fight there but you can only do it once!!!
[close]

::) ::) ::)

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3336 on: November 27, 2017, 07:10:07 pm »

Spoiler
[close]

I know what you mean with the quips.

Spoiler
Superman saying to Batman "Do you bleed?" was a nice little reference to BvS and a reminder that the two of them aren't exactly best buds, but the following "I'm pretty sure something is bleeding" joke from Batman was just cringe-worthy and ruined that little moment for me.
[close]

Offline ManiacKop

• Smited by a Mighty Smiter.
  • Anny Roader
  • Here’s to swimming with Darwin's evolved fishes...
« Reply #3337 on: November 30, 2017, 06:46:42 pm »
The whole thing has been a disappointment. Storylines have been poor and because of the rush to compete with marvel, the character development has been non existent.

Wonder Woman was decent.
Superman is far too wooden.
Batman is lifeless (and I like affleck).
Aquaman did nothing for me.
Flash was ok, but not used enough.

Just no chemistry anywhere. A shame.
Not the best walking advert for Intelligent Design.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3338 on: November 30, 2017, 11:54:13 pm »

Spoiler
[close]

Go to Park Royal if you live round there it’ll be miles cheaper, £40 is a joke!

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #3339 on: December 1, 2017, 12:52:59 am »
It was okay. Not as good as expected. The climax was atrocious though.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3340 on: December 1, 2017, 01:24:56 pm »

« Last Edit: December 1, 2017, 01:26:54 pm by AndyMuller »

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3342 on: December 1, 2017, 06:32:57 pm »
People just became too focused on it. It didn't bother me really, Steppenwolf in this, and Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One were much more jarring.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3343 on: December 1, 2017, 06:40:15 pm »
People just became too focused on it. It didn't bother me really, Steppenwolf in this, and Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One were much more jarring.

Yeah. You would think after Ultron someone would have realised that a CGI villain is no substitute for a good actor.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3344 on: December 1, 2017, 07:51:30 pm »
Yeah. You would think after Ultron someone would have realised that a CGI villain is no substitute for a good actor.

It's the god-level threats though. Thanos looks worse but like you can't just put Josh Brolin in a neat suit. Darkseid (if they go that way), Brainiac, Galactus etc will all have the same issue. I find it's less distracting than young Leia/Tarkin at least.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3345 on: December 3, 2017, 10:39:59 pm »
It's the god-level threats though. Thanos looks worse but like you can't just put Josh Brolin in a neat suit. Darkseid (if they go that way), Brainiac, Galactus etc will all have the same issue. I find it's less distracting than young Leia/Tarkin at least.

Yes, although Leia was only a cameo, it did jolt. I'm sure it can be done well, Peter Jackson found a way after all, and the technology should have matured by now, but neither Marvel or DC has pulled it off yet. The alternative of heavy make up is not ideal either, given Apocalypse or Chris Eccleston in Thor, both of which were functionally restrictive.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3346 on: December 4, 2017, 12:51:04 am »
Yes, although Leia was only a cameo, it did jolt. I'm sure it can be done well, Peter Jackson found a way after all, and the technology should have matured by now, but neither Marvel or DC has pulled it off yet. The alternative of heavy make up is not ideal either, given Apocalypse or Chris Eccleston in Thor, both of which were functionally restrictive.

I think making them less human would be a better idea. Thanos looked ok with purple skin and a hat, now he looks ridiculous.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #3347 on: December 4, 2017, 11:19:07 am »
Saw Justice League last night and I really enjoyed it. Never noticed the mustache problem, I doubt most people did, if that's a main gripe then Christ, go fucking watch Marvel movies for the rest of your life! Steppenwolf (like most superhero godly villains) just feels like filler for a bigger entity, and there was a couple of dud lines but apart from that it was great!

Really looking forward to the Aquaman movie now! And the Batman movie too - love how Gotham looks and feels in the DCCU, so roll on that!
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3348 on: December 4, 2017, 02:43:57 pm »
Saw Justice League last night and I really enjoyed it. Never noticed the mustache problem, I doubt most people did, if that's a main gripe then Christ, go fucking watch Marvel movies for the rest of your life! Steppenwolf (like most superhero godly villains) just feels like filler for a bigger entity, and there was a couple of dud lines but apart from that it was great!

Really looking forward to the Aquaman movie now! And the Batman movie too - love how Gotham looks and feels in the DCCU, so roll on that!

Just to clarify, the lip issue is not among the worst things about this movie, and I do not think anyone is claiming that it is. It's just an amusing botch, nothing more.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #3349 on: December 4, 2017, 06:54:48 pm »
Ninja Batman - New York Comic Con
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QF031DwMffQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QF031DwMffQ</a>

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3350 on: December 4, 2017, 08:27:19 pm »
Nice.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #3351 on: December 5, 2017, 01:37:30 am »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3352 on: December 5, 2017, 01:26:59 pm »
That looks really interesting.  Wasn't there a manga Batman story at some point?  Sure I read one ages ago that was pretty good.  Don't remember seeing this version as a comic though.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #3353 on: December 5, 2017, 03:49:01 pm »
That looks really interesting.  Wasn't there a manga Batman story at some point?  Sure I read one ages ago that was pretty good.  Don't remember seeing this version as a comic though.
Eyar Chuffer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat-Manga!:_The_Secret_History_of_Batman_in_Japan

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3354 on: December 6, 2017, 09:35:08 am »
Don't think Justice League is as bad as loads have made out. Not great by any means, but more than watchable; the same way I'd describe the vast majority of superhero films to be honest. But people are so far up Marvel's arse that anything which isn't Marvel is automatically bad.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3355 on: December 6, 2017, 10:12:15 am »
Don't think Justice League is as bad as loads have made out. Not great by any means, but more than watchable; the same way I'd describe the vast majority of superhero films to be honest. But people are so far up Marvel's arse that anything which isn't Marvel is automatically bad.

That's bollocks. I liked BvS Ultimate and Wonder Woman, the latter has reviewed really well too, but Justice League was an absolute turd of a movie. The characters felt off, everything felt like it was shot in front of a green screen, the story was as bland as it gets, the action was a shadow of what BvS had, Batman kept making fucking quips and the ending sucked. The only slightly good thing was that Superman wasn't incredibly dull and moody, but even that was distracting as it was so at odds with how he is in the previous movies.

It's amazing how a movie can be two hours long and contain little to no story, yet still feel rushed and incomplete.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3356 on: December 6, 2017, 10:19:07 am »
That's bollocks. I liked BvS Ultimate and Wonder Woman, the latter has reviewed really well too, but Justice League was an absolute turd of a movie. The characters felt off, everything felt like it was shot in front of a green screen, the story was as bland as it gets, the action was a shadow of what BvS had, Batman kept making fucking quips and the ending sucked. The only slightly good thing was that Superman wasn't incredibly dull and moody, but even that was distracting as it was so at odds with how he is in the previous movies.

It's amazing how a movie can be two hours long and contain little to no story, yet still feel rushed and incomplete.

I'd certainly agree those two films were better than this, but it was always going to be difficult for it to be as good when introducing so many new characters. (And I don't buy for a minute that The Flash, Aquaman or Cyborg would command enough screen presence to justify their own films.) I think it would be fairer to judge the next installment more critically personally. This felt like a warm-up to potentially better things - although I fear it's always going to struggle when led by Cavill and Affleck unfortunately.

Put it this way, for Justice League to have 40 on Metascore, yet Age of Ultron have 66, suggests an inherent bias to me. Because that was a very monotonous superhero film as well and far more underwhelming given the humongous backstories it had in its favour.

Where was Lex Luthor by the way?

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3357 on: December 6, 2017, 11:31:57 am »
I'd certainly agree those two films were better than this, but it was always going to be difficult for it to be as good when introducing so many new characters. (And I don't buy for a minute that The Flash, Aquaman or Cyborg would command enough screen presence to justify their own films.) I think it would be fairer to judge the next installment more critically personally. This felt like a warm-up to potentially better things - although I fear it's always going to struggle when led by Cavill and Affleck unfortunately.

Put it this way, for Justice League to have 40 on Metascore, yet Age of Ultron have 66, suggests an inherent bias to me. Because that was a very monotonous superhero film as well and far more underwhelming given the humongous backstories it had in its favour.

Where was Lex Luthor by the way?

Age of Ultron was a better film. It had characters people were invested in, a team that we'd only just seen come together in the previous film that was now a proper unit, plenty of fight scenes where they work together in interesting ways and a better protagonist, albeit a CG one. It wasn't an amazing film and on repeat viewings the quip count becomes a bit annoying, but I easily enjoyed it more than Justice League.

I'm sure it was difficult to fit all of these characters together in one movie so soon, but no one made them do it. They could've at least made a Batman movie, a better Superman, maybe introduced some of the other characters in these solo films first, or given the team a less deadly threat to deal with first, but instead they went as big as they could as fast as they could and it resulted in a bad movie. Hell they could've made an entire trilogy of Batman movies before getting to the old, gruff Bats of BvS/JL and it would've worked well.

Also it's easy to say that the other characters couldn't carry their own solo films, but then the same probably could've been said of Thor or Iron Man at one point.

I'm assuming Lex is still on the editing room floor somewhere.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3358 on: December 6, 2017, 11:51:47 am »
It's funny that the DC fanboys always have to blame Marvel for there failings.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3359 on: December 6, 2017, 12:16:05 pm »
Age of Ultron was a better film. It had characters people were invested in, a team that we'd only just seen come together in the previous film that was now a proper unit, plenty of fight scenes where they work together in interesting ways and a better protagonist, albeit a CG one. It wasn't an amazing film and on repeat viewings the quip count becomes a bit annoying, but I easily enjoyed it more than Justice League.

I'm sure it was difficult to fit all of these characters together in one movie so soon, but no one made them do it. They could've at least made a Batman movie, a better Superman, maybe introduced some of the other characters in these solo films first, or given the team a less deadly threat to deal with first, but instead they went as big as they could as fast as they could and it resulted in a bad movie. Hell they could've made an entire trilogy of Batman movies before getting to the old, gruff Bats of BvS/JL and it would've worked well.

Also it's easy to say that the other characters couldn't carry their own solo films, but then the same probably could've been said of Thor or Iron Man at one point.

I'm assuming Lex is still on the editing room floor somewhere.

Haven't seen the film but from what I heard you should have stayed right until the end of the credits.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias