Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 632542 times)

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Marvel Musings
« Reply #3521 on: February 6, 2018, 10:21:06 pm »
Here's what I am wondering... they have probably made most of the two Infinity War movies or at least completed the first one before finding out how the new Thor and Black Panther movie turned out and what elements were best received.  So how do they incorporate any character shifts in the Avengers movie now? Will Thor be the 'comedian' he was in Ragnarok or will he go back to the pre Civil War version of Thor?

They're all Tony Stark now
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3522 on: February 6, 2018, 10:52:12 pm »
Black Panther has got good reviews apparently.

It has arguably the best Director of any Marvel film, so it always had promise.

I'm sure it's just political though. You want to treat positive reviews of a movie with a diverse cast with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3523 on: February 7, 2018, 10:54:35 am »
I'm sure it's just political though. You want to treat positive reviews of a movie with a diverse cast with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Indeed. Unlike many comic book films ill probably go watch this though and see if its any good.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3524 on: February 7, 2018, 11:02:12 am »

I read a couple of reviews and there wasn't much mention of the story, I'll still be going to see it I just won't be letting the reviews build my expectations too much.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2018, 11:08:19 am by Schmidt »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3525 on: February 7, 2018, 11:05:56 am »

Oh come on, you're being a bit flippant here. Are you really dismissing that politics plays a part in how reviewers rate movies?! Many reviewers obsess over it!

This is Slant Magazine's take on Darkest Hour, which it rated 38/100:

The film reinforces only the most simplistic and patriotic vision of Churchill, its closed-off view of the man reminiscent of the many tracking shots that wind through the underground tunnels of the U.K.‘s war command, constantly peeking into rooms with classified meetings as doors are abruptly closed to keep them secret

So it basically rates the film negatively as a 4/10 because it doesn't tell the entire story of Churchill, something the film (as far as I know - I'm seeing it tonight) doesn't aim to do.

That's politics, not film reviewing.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3526 on: February 7, 2018, 11:48:59 am »
Oh come on, you're being a bit flippant here. Are you really dismissing that politics plays a part in how reviewers rate movies?! Many reviewers obsess over it!

So it basically rates the film negatively as a 4/10 because it doesn't tell the entire story of Churchill, something the film (as far as I know - I'm seeing it tonight) doesn't aim to do.

I think a movie that aims to tell a story of the psychology of Churchill that doesn't get into his depression and alcoholism, is probably a bit simplistic, no?

I don't disagree that critics are people and people have politics that they carry into the things they do. But a bad movie is a bad movie, and a good movie is a good movie. I consider myself a feminist and I thought Wonder Woman was extremely overrated. If I were to write a review, I would not be pulling any punches, on account of it featuring a female superhero. I don't expect many other critics would, either.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3527 on: February 7, 2018, 01:31:31 pm »
I found Moonlight to be reviewed politically.

It was decent but I won’t be watching it a second time.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3528 on: February 7, 2018, 01:36:05 pm »

Pretty sure no critic will dare give it a bad review.
For me it looks like just more marvel meh. There are too many marvel movies, its oversaturated.
I've got marvel fatigue.  I'll watch infinity war but didn't bother with ragnarok and won't bother with this.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3529 on: February 7, 2018, 02:28:40 pm »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3530 on: February 7, 2018, 03:14:09 pm »
Terry Crews!

What a guy haha.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3531 on: February 7, 2018, 03:36:24 pm »

You're right in what you're saying, but that's a poor choice to pick from. It's a film about a politician, so politics, and specific views on it, will invariably come into factoring an overall opinion on such a film for some. You can forgive those for that. Stuff like Ghostbusters, though...

Anyway, I'm not sure where this debate came from in the first place, but I can only assume it's to do with Black Panther. I'm not really interested in that film, but only because it reminds me of something shit, like The Phantom or Spawn. I'll give it a watch, though. Might be alright.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3532 on: February 7, 2018, 03:40:11 pm »
You're right in what you're saying, but that's a poor choice to pick from. It's a film about a politician, so politics, and specific views on it, will invariably come into factoring an overall opinion on such a film for some. You can forgive those for that. Stuff like Ghostbusters, though...

That's fair, and I'll be much better placed to comment after I've seen the film tonight, but equally the film is called "The Darkest Hour" and I'm under the impression it's heavily focused on those few daunting weeks during WWII and how Churchill led the nation through those times, rather than trying to paint an overall picture of Churchill (as the film released last year may have been more akin to?).

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3533 on: February 7, 2018, 03:40:50 pm »

I treat everything in this world with skepticism but the reviews I've read are by good writers. True, they all tend to mention the diversity and Black power angle and culture but they are saying it is a good film, for all the traditional reasons, only enhanced by this Afro-futurism, the less cool cats are calling it.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3534 on: February 7, 2018, 03:51:48 pm »
That's fair, and I'll be much better placed to comment after I've seen the film tonight, but equally the film is called "The Darkest Hour" and I'm under the impression it's heavily focused on those few daunting weeks during WWII and how Churchill led the nation through those times, rather than trying to paint an overall picture of Churchill (as the film released last year may have been more akin to?).
Just so you know, I'm more inclined on agreeing with that reviewer who gave the film a 4. Sure, it might be a film about one particular aspect of his life in a moment of time, but it's an airbrushed representation of the man, historically at least. Corkboy started a thread in the news section, presumably thinking the same as myself about it.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3535 on: February 7, 2018, 04:08:14 pm »
New Deadpool 2 trailer (NSFW obvs)

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/961239824194666496

Did I spot the kid from Hunt for the Wilderpeople in there?

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3536 on: February 7, 2018, 08:18:40 pm »
Did I spot the kid from Hunt for the Wilderpeople in there?

Yeah he's in it. Hopefully this matches the quality of the first film.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3537 on: February 7, 2018, 10:07:54 pm »
I treat everything in this world with skepticism but the reviews I've read are by good writers. True, they all tend to mention the diversity and Black power angle and culture but they are saying it is a good film, for all the traditional reasons, only enhanced by this Afro-futurism, the less cool cats are calling it.

My comment was firmly tongue in cheek. That's been my take from the reviews I've read as well. My comment was a response to this idea that movie reviewers are somehow not capable of assessing movies without letting politics come into it. For me, a bad movie is a bad movie. A good movie is a good movie.

At least, I think it's fairly easy to say this about movies like Black Panther, which are distinguished only by having a black cast. It doesn't seem rational or fair to treat positive reviews about a movie with a diverse cast with suspicion.

What I would say is an example of how 'politics' comes into reviewing a movie is something like a Woody Allen movie. The public furor is such right now that it's difficult to give a positive review of the art without at least acknowledging what's going on publicly about the artist. But I wouldn't think something similar would apply to a Marvel superhero movie with black characters.

What might be more interesting in terms of politics influencing reviews is how critics respond to A Wrinkle in Time, which looks like an absolute mess, but features a mostly black cast and another major black director, Ava Duvernay.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2018, 10:09:52 pm by Redcap »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3538 on: February 8, 2018, 11:53:01 am »
If critics did rate films with a black cast higher than deserved why are rating for Tyler Perry's Medea films so low?

While Black Panther may be getting generally higher ratings for the all black cast, I think it's getting a bigger boost simply by being MCU. Critics do tend to follow general public opinion on a lot of these big franchises.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2018, 11:54:41 am by Old Saint Nick Wants An Xmas 69! »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3539 on: February 8, 2018, 03:15:44 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dzxFdtWmjto" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dzxFdtWmjto</a>
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3540 on: February 8, 2018, 03:40:09 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dzxFdtWmjto" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dzxFdtWmjto</a>

Well that was boring.

The only thing making me want to watch this is that it has a strong cast.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3541 on: February 8, 2018, 05:11:50 pm »
It's kind of funny they've released that right after the Deadpool trailer, as you have to assume the reason we don't see Venom is they haven't finished the CGI yet.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3542 on: February 8, 2018, 06:33:12 pm »
10 years of the MCU

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GjwjzIFcX7U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GjwjzIFcX7U</a>

Online whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3543 on: February 8, 2018, 10:29:41 pm »

Pretty sure no critic will dare give it a bad review.
For me it looks like just more marvel meh. There are too many marvel movies, its oversaturated.
I've got marvel fatigue.  I'll watch infinity war but didn't bother with ragnarok and won't bother with this.

Nah bring more on i say !! Infinity War and even Antman will be decent

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3544 on: February 9, 2018, 04:05:00 pm »
Depends on how interested you are in the overarching story leading into Infinity war. Most of the links come in the post film credits anyway

If you're not all the interested then any order is fine. They do a good job in keeping each film as an individual piece.

If you are interesting in catching up for Infinity War then best watch them as the following

Ant Man
Civil War

Then these in any order as it doesn't matter

Guardians 2
Spider Man homecoming

Ending with

Doctor Strange
Thor Ragnarok

Yep. Ideally Doctor Strange before Thor Ragnarok, as you say, but I expect it would still make sense the other way around. The others are pretty much unconnected, aside from Ant Man being before Civil War and Spidey coming after.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Dingus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Man Without Fear
« Reply #3545 on: February 13, 2018, 09:40:12 pm »
just back from Black Panther, really enjoyed it!
strong turns from Boseman and Jordan, supporting cast excellent, felt like a grown-up movie than the usual superhero fare.
the Panther costume might be the best in the MCU, looks amazing! 8)
without spoliering it, there are two end-credits extras to look out for, one just into the credits, and one right after they finish, second one probably more interesting than the first! ;)
roll on to May and Avengers:Infinity War! ;D

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #3546 on: February 14, 2018, 10:42:55 am »
Saw Black Panther yesterday and its a great film!

Not like your normal Marvel film, some very strong themes but still had that Marvel feel. Michael B Jordan character is a very good villain, so good that you wouldn't even call him a villain, just a man with a different idea.

Defo recommend checking this one out.
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3547 on: February 14, 2018, 04:11:24 pm »
Yeah I really enjoyed it, Boseman is great and the supporting cast all do their bits well.

Seemed a bit of a risk them putting this out right before Infinity bWar instead of a safer choice like Thor:Ragnorok but it's great as a stand alone film whilst adding to the larger MCU.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3548 on: February 14, 2018, 06:15:13 pm »
It was good but nothing amazing. Doesnt touch The Captain America films for me

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3549 on: February 16, 2018, 10:30:31 am »
Enjoyed Black Panther, though it didn't quite match the hype.

Spoiler
It had some really good stuff but also felt overly long despite not a huge amount actually happening. They definitely took a lot of liberties with the powers of vibranium too, what was just a tough metal in the previous films is now basically capable of anything. A lot of the BP fights tend to fall a bit flat too when his suit is impenetrable.

The villain was good, he wasn't just evil for the sake of it, though his big plan seemed a stretch.

His sister was pretty awesome though, hopefully she's in some of the next films.
[close]

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3550 on: February 17, 2018, 02:47:01 pm »
Black Panther was decent but a bit too long.

Martin Freeman’s American accent was jarring.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #3551 on: February 17, 2018, 07:33:12 pm »
Black Panther was decent but a bit too long.

Martin Freeman’s American accent was jarring.

It was in Civil War also, not sure why they even cast him for the role.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3552 on: February 19, 2018, 12:27:08 pm »
Black Panther was really good.

It's a proper film, and it did two things properly that most Marvel movies don't do: Have a proper villain with proper motivation, and it kept it small scale. No worlds are blown up, and it stands alone, without any tie-ins with other movies, no cameos from other superheroes, and no stupid fucking infinity stones shite.  You've no idea how little I care about whether Thanos has two or three infinity stones. Or about Thanos, generally.

Boseman is decent, Michael B Jordan is excellent, and the CGI at the end is kinda ropey.  The costumes are pretty spectacular.  I've no idea why people are talking about pacing - it flew by for me.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3553 on: February 19, 2018, 01:58:47 pm »
It was in Civil War also, not sure why they even cast him for the role.

I’m hoping it’s because he will eventually bump into Doctor Strange and we have a Sherlock and John reunion but with hilarious American accents.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3554 on: February 19, 2018, 02:32:51 pm »
Watched Black Panther and really enjoyed it. Plus it helps that in Boseman and Michael B Jordan you have the fittest hero and villain combo ever.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #3555 on: February 19, 2018, 03:13:24 pm »
I really enjoyed it, much better then The Justice League

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #3556 on: February 19, 2018, 03:18:39 pm »
Also, it is just me or does Michael B Jordan look like Shawn Wayan from the Wayans brothers?  ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3557 on: February 19, 2018, 03:43:14 pm »
Also, it is just me or does Michael B Jordan look like Shawn Wayan from the Wayans brothers?  ;D

Racist.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3558 on: February 19, 2018, 04:24:19 pm »
Black Panther was really good.

It's a proper film, and it did two things properly that most Marvel movies don't do: Have a proper villain with proper motivation, and it kept it small scale. No worlds are blown up, and it stands alone, without any tie-ins with other movies, no cameos from other superheroes, and no stupid fucking infinity stones shite.  You've no idea how little I care about whether Thanos has two or three infinity stones. Or about Thanos, generally.

Boseman is decent, Michael B Jordan is excellent, and the CGI at the end is kinda ropey.  The costumes are pretty spectacular.  I've no idea why people are talking about pacing - it flew by for me.

The villain is the best part of the film for me, genuine character with genuine motivations and as horrible as he was the audience is left with some sympathy for him. I don't know about pacing issues but for such a long movie it felt like there was very little of actual importance that happened.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3559 on: February 19, 2018, 06:28:50 pm »
Marvel have turned it around lately in regards to villains. Ego, Hela and Killmonger have all been great villains IMO.