Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3306722 times)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #17920 on: March 13, 2018, 04:42:51 pm »
Appreciate you're playing Devil's advocate, but this whole thing about some fans being rubbed up the wrong way by a perceived treatment of Klopp is frankly bizarre and smacks of people looking for something to moan about.

I definitely am playing devils advocate here and looking for the reasons why some fans might feel this way. What I described is what some of my friends/family think. Not necessarily Mike Nevin. Let's be clear here I don't know what Mike's thinking is around Klopp and his perceived dislike for how he is viewed. I was just joining a few dots based on my experience of speaking with other match going fans.

I think Klopp's achievements have been absolutely fine. Yes a trophy would have been nice, but I think it would be wrong to start judging a manager for losing 2 finals, when we have first hand experience of how finals can be won and lost in the strangest circumstances.
But 2 finals with Rodgers squad in his first part season, then a top 4 finish, then looking well placed for top 4 whilst reaching the last 8 of the European Cup is continued progress.

Completely agree with the above. We are on an upward trajectory since Klopp joined us. I have certain doubts about him but he's done 2 things very, very well in my opinion -  1. he's got a clear tactical plan and it's very obvious with regards to recruitment that he has a careful and pragmatic way to address any weakness in the squad, and 2. he's got 99% of people pulling in the same direction.

The tactical piece, and how our recruitment policy ties into this, has removed a key issue from when Rodgers was in charge. The scattergun transfer approach and how they fitted with the overall tactical plan was a key problem that Klopp inherited. From the outside looking in there's a better sense of cohesion across the club when it comes to identifying players and recruitment. That in turn has led to a much better success rate in our transfers over the last 2 to 3 years.

The 2nd point of having the club and fans pulling in the same direction can't be under estimated. People may sneer at Klopp's perceived easy ride in the media but as Byrnee put it below it is so much better than the alternative. The last 3 years of Rafa were great in parts but they were so draining when going the games. Mainly due to the constant disputes in the crowd. Only really under Kenny have we had a period harmony between Rafa and Klopp. Long may the harmony and lack of negative comment continue.

We finally have a manager who the media isn't having a snide dig at every week, and we're supposed to be unhappy about this? So he's elevated to a lofty position earlier than other managers? GOOD. Means we aren't fucking distracted with the shit we had with Rafa, Kenny, even Rodgers - constantly defending them against accusations that he's lost his marbles, or is a fat spanish waiter, too long out of the game, a fraud.

All that bullshit has gone .
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:44:32 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17921 on: March 13, 2018, 05:13:44 pm »
^ Cheers for reply, and interesting that there are some matchgoers thinking like that.
I go less  these days, but met up with an old mate who is still an STH to watch the game on Saturday and while we could both point to things we disagreed with, we were both astonished that there's a body of opinion like this.

I just wonder whether we have become so used to turmoil that some just need something to rail against.
Lets be clear, we can do better on and off the pitch, but compared to Moores/Parry/Hicks Gilette and the likes of Hodge - we have definitely improved and will improve further, but you can't just flick a switch and say "let's improve".

Lets just enjoy the ride.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17922 on: March 13, 2018, 08:53:38 pm »
His weird agenda against Karius despite him not really being at fault for us on Saturday is just the ignorant pub banter ramblings.

Couldn’t care less if he’s ‘had a season ticket for 28 years’, doesn’t mean a thing. Mike Nevin spouts utter shite. That is all that needs to be known.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:55:54 pm by mattD »

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17923 on: March 14, 2018, 11:04:33 am »
Loved Rafa, hated the way he was hounded out but not having that means you have a bit of a downer on Klopp.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #17924 on: March 14, 2018, 12:36:41 pm »
Loved Rafa, hated the way he was hounded out but not having that means you have a bit of a downer on Klopp.
Klopp didn't even replace him either
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #17925 on: March 14, 2018, 01:00:54 pm »
Klopp didn't even replace him either

I've said it above I was offering a potential alternative explanation for why some fans aren't as enthusiastic about Klopp as others. It was on the basis of how the media and sections of our own fans treated the 2 managers. The succession of the managers has no impact here. It's nothing to do with Klopp replacing Rafa. It's about media perception and the fact Rafa got a harder time despite winning a lot more at the club.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #17926 on: March 14, 2018, 01:01:14 pm »
Actually at the stage now where if i see Nevin is on a show i just wont listen.
I have the same reaction to other contributors on the show because I know they'll trot out bland echo-chamber opinions every show, which, while probably very sensible, just has me going...

I wouldn't want their contributions removed though as someone else will listen to them and be nodding at how much sense they're talking, but I like to have the variety of opinions and stuff I can disagree with.  Bit like refereeing decisions I suppose.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #17927 on: March 16, 2018, 09:16:06 am »
Pretty sure I heard talk of some team's momentum "disappearing into the urethra" on the Friday Show.

Ugh.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17928 on: March 16, 2018, 10:58:46 am »
The Big Question show on youth development was excellent. Well informed and researched opinions from all the contributors. Made for an extremely interesting listen. The stuff about the EPPP (is that what it's called) was particularly informative.

It'd be great if you could get someone in from Spain or Germany to compare how they do it for a follow up show. In large part, I think the idea that a club should produce its own players is not big part of English club football culture at all. Feel like you could do a part two anyway! Well done all involved.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #17929 on: March 16, 2018, 11:20:46 pm »
Observing Nevin on Twitter has become quite the spectacle. It casts very few similarities to the Nevin of a year or two ago. There’s a strange inverse logic going on with his view of the club; as the team improves under Klopp, Nevin appears increasingly disgruntled at the team and Klopp. He’s constantly overreaching for things to slag off.

I’m inclined to think it’s simply attention seeking - alternatively if that’s the level of coherence he has then TAW isn’t his platform, not anymore.

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #17930 on: March 18, 2018, 07:44:05 pm »
Observing Nevin on Twitter has become quite the spectacle. It casts very few similarities to the Nevin of a year or two ago. There’s a strange inverse logic going on with his view of the club; as the team improves under Klopp, Nevin appears increasingly disgruntled at the team and Klopp. He’s constantly overreaching for things to slag off.

I’m inclined to think it’s simply attention seeking - alternatively if that’s the level of coherence he has then TAW isn’t his platform, not anymore.
Has he suggested we sign Kasper Schmeichel yet?  ;)
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #17931 on: March 18, 2018, 08:47:56 pm »
Rachael Biggs has a really charming voice.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17932 on: March 19, 2018, 06:18:22 am »
Pretty sure I heard talk of some team's momentum "disappearing into the urethra" on the Friday Show.

Ugh.

I laughed at this as well. Wasn't sure if it was intentional or not!

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #17933 on: March 19, 2018, 03:49:06 pm »
Danny Ingredients :lmao
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17934 on: March 19, 2018, 04:07:50 pm »
Hope TAW have lots of content to get me through this international break and build up to the City game!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #17935 on: March 19, 2018, 08:40:30 pm »
Adam Melia's "boom operator" gag...

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #17936 on: March 19, 2018, 10:02:39 pm »
Loved Robbos dig at all the auld arses who just moaned after Saturday "Yeah but when someone bids 150m we'll sell"
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #17937 on: March 23, 2018, 07:11:31 am »
Nice discussion about Frank Skinner on the last wildcards show.  It’s interesting how everyone identified how today’s comedy is very tamed-down, and it’s not even like Skinner’s a particularly edgy example.

I reckon comedy is the biggest signifier of a generation gap there is, way more than fashion or music.  Sometimes I see a performer just a couple of years out from my own demographic and wonder what on earth is making his audience perceive him as comedy.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #17938 on: March 23, 2018, 07:30:05 am »
Nice discussion about Frank Skinner on the last wildcards show.  It’s interesting how everyone identified how today’s comedy is very tamed-down, and it’s not even like Skinner’s a particularly edgy example.

I reckon comedy is the biggest signifier of a generation gap there is, way more than fashion or music.  Sometimes I see a performer just a couple of years out from my own demographic and wonder what on earth is making his audience perceive him as comedy.
Generational factors can impact how a comedian is perceived. However, there’s also levels of sophistication that can determine how well jokes go down with certain audiences.

As for Skinner, he’s brilliantly funny. He just has funny bones - even the way he speaks and begins a story can have me grinning. Get on his podcast of his Saturday morning radio show on Absolute Radio. Very amusing. 

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17939 on: March 23, 2018, 01:55:36 pm »
He's also wildly xenophobic. Find it odd he's never called out on it to be honest.

He so isn't. Please do not cast these kind of aspersions on RAWK. If you think he is feel free to contact him on Twitter.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #17940 on: March 24, 2018, 01:47:58 pm »
The Two Tribes interview with Tony Evans was a good listen in that Evans is a really good football historian of the 70s and 80s. He has excellent insight, a societal perspective and first hand experience of a fascinating era.

However, while the interview expounded Evans’ great insights it also betrayed his limitations as a contemporary commentator of football. It’s really clear that Evans’ footballing intellectualism has never really moved on from the 80s. His whole perspective and keystone reference points all hark back to 30 years ago. Indeed, his list of fellas that he rates as footballing connoisseur are all old 80s pros of Liverpool and Everton fame. Good blokes, I’m sure, but hardly have their finger on the nub of modern footballing philosophy. Nicol, Larwo and Reidy are good talkers but really are yesterday’s men.

All this is fine when you’re reciting past times - regaling the past with rich details is brilliant when learning about our golden years. But it becomes a problem when you start imposing these same insights onto the modern incarnation of the club. In fact, it’s simply anti-historical. It’s an irrelevance. But it’s also unhelpful. Lending 30 year old comparisons to criticise or lambast modern Liverpool creates an unhealthy pressure and expectation. Obviously winning remains the raison d’etre, but simply using a golden past to beat the present day club is dull at best and unhealthy at worst. 

In short, want to learn about the 80s then Evans is your man. Want to enjoy and appreciate Klopp’s Liverpool then Evans is a dead weight.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #17941 on: March 24, 2018, 10:20:18 pm »
While I still don’t approve of the gambling linkup, I actually do enjoy the little spots they have where someone, usually Nevin, comes in to chat the odds.  But it did make laugh that on yesterday’s show they went off on an international football tangent and never got round to the betting at all.  It was a nice perspective.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17942 on: March 25, 2018, 12:03:33 am »
The Two Tribes interview with Tony Evans was a good listen in that Evans is a really good football historian of the 70s and 80s. He has excellent insight, a societal perspective and first hand experience of a fascinating era.

However, while the interview expounded Evans’ great insights it also betrayed his limitations as a contemporary commentator of football. It’s really clear that Evans’ footballing intellectualism has never really moved on from the 80s. His whole perspective and keystone reference points all hark back to 30 years ago. Indeed, his list of fellas that he rates as footballing connoisseur are all old 80s pros of Liverpool and Everton fame. Good blokes, I’m sure, but hardly have their finger on the nub of modern footballing philosophy. Nicol, Larwo and Reidy are good talkers but really are yesterday’s men.

All this is fine when you’re reciting past times - regaling the past with rich details is brilliant when learning about our golden years. But it becomes a problem when you start imposing these same insights onto the modern incarnation of the club. In fact, it’s simply anti-historical. It’s an irrelevance. But it’s also unhelpful. Lending 30 year old comparisons to criticise or lambast modern Liverpool creates an unhealthy pressure and expectation. Obviously winning remains the raison d’etre, but simply using a golden past to beat the present day club is dull at best and unhealthy at worst. 

In short, want to learn about the 80s then Evans is your man. Want to enjoy and appreciate Klopp’s Liverpool then Evans is a dead weight.

Well summed up, I'm looking forward to reading the book and love it when he's on shows about our past but can't take anything he says seriously about today's game.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17943 on: March 26, 2018, 05:42:43 pm »
Nevin and Neil talking about past WC tourneys was good, as someone else said keep Nevin on the old stuff and away from Klopp. Hopefully they've lined up some cracking shows lined up in the summer with the World Cup on, it's hard not to get carried away with it all when it's actually on (not with England just the tourny).

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #17944 on: March 26, 2018, 06:09:47 pm »
Nevin and Neil talking about past WC tourneys was good, as someone else said keep Nevin on the old stuff and away from Klopp. Hopefully they've lined up some cracking shows lined up in the summer with the World Cup on, it's hard not to get carried away with it all when it's actually on (not with England just the tourny).

I am genuinely intrigued as to why they have to keep him away from stuff about Klopp? I disagree with just about everything he says on Klopp - doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to his opinion. Do you just want people on who agree with you?
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #17945 on: March 26, 2018, 06:34:53 pm »
I am genuinely intrigued as to why they have to keep him away from stuff about Klopp? I disagree with just about everything he says on Klopp - doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to his opinion. Do you just want people on who agree with you?

The problem is, he comes out with stuff but doesn't back it up with sense. You may as well get a 12 year old on the show who says the best Liverpool player of all time is Peter Crouch because he was the tallest. It's an opinion, doesn't mean we should be subjected to it.  Nevin's opinion that Klopp, if still under pressure from fans after a year should be replaced by Gerrard or Alonso, in the belief that they will do well because Guardiola and Zidan did well, ignoring thousands of footballers who screwed up as managers.

His opinions seem to have more in common with prejudiced views rather than the considered differing opinions of other TAW contributors.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:22:14 pm by Ipcress »
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #17946 on: March 26, 2018, 08:07:14 pm »
The problem is, he comes out with stuff but doesn't back it up with sense. You may as well get a 12 year old on the show who says the best Liverpool player of all time is Peter Crouch because he was the tallest. It's an opinion, doesn't mean we should be subjected to it.  Nevin's opinion that Klopp, if still under pressure from fans after a year should be replaced by Gerrard or Alonso, in the belief that they will do well because Guardiola and Zidan did well, ignoring thousands of footballers who screwed up as managers.

His opinions seem to have more in common with prejudiced views rather than the considered differing opinions of other TAW contributors.

I agree, but when I used to go the match there were always loads of people like that. TAW has always aimed itself at being broadly representative of the matchgoing fanbase. Like it or not, there are probably more Mikes than Neils out there.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17947 on: March 26, 2018, 08:08:34 pm »
The problem is, he comes out with stuff but doesn't back it up with sense. You may as well get a 12 year old on the show who says the best Liverpool player of all time is Peter Crouch because he was the tallest. It's an opinion, doesn't mean we should be subjected to it. Nevin's opinion that Klopp, if still under pressure from fans after a year should be replaced by Gerrard or Alonso, in the belief that they will do well because Guardiola and Zidan did well, ignoring thousands of footballers who screwed up as managers.

His opinions seem to have more in common with prejudiced vies rather than the considered differing opinions of other TAW contributors.

That’s not what Mike said at all. My understanding of the point Mike was making is that some of our fans do not take any criticism of Klopp at all well and believe that the day Klopp leaves is doomsday for Liverpool because there’s no one good enough to replace him. For someone who has lived through seeing Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish etc. leave the club after bringing in a lot of trophies, I think I can see why Mike is a bit baffled with people who hold this viewpoint on Klopp.

With regards to the comments about Alonso and Gerrard I don’t think he was actually advocating sacking Klopp and bringing them in but again it was more in response to the point that no one can replace Klopp. The subsequent argument to that point is “but they don’t have any managerial experience” which is why Mike mentioned Zidane and Guardiola. I don’t think he’s saying that means it would work for us but they are examples of cases where ex players with no managerial experience have been handed the job at big clubs and done well. I know for every Guardiola there are 100 John Barnes’ and if Klopp decided to pack it in this summer I wouldn’t want Gerrard or Alonso handed the job but you can bet there’d be quite a few of our fans wanting Gerard to take over. The point is, the club will move on.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #17948 on: March 26, 2018, 08:14:40 pm »
I don't think he meant that at all Campioni. I'm with LP on this one...

It's odd though, as Mike is one of the best contributors on the show and I love hearing him speak, unless it's about Klopp... Then it's 50/50 as to whether he is going to be rational or not.

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #17949 on: March 26, 2018, 08:23:30 pm »
I agree, but when I used to go the match there were always loads of people like that. TAW has always aimed itself at being broadly representative of the matchgoing fanbase. Like it or not, there are probably more Mikes than Neils out there.

Is there no one who holds these viewpoints who can back it up with decent arguments though? And if not, should these negative viewpoints be given a regular public airing. Take UKIP, would it have done as well politically if Frottage not been given so much time on the BBC. He was able to spread his clap trap with greater respectability because he was on TV. If Joe Bloggs talks crap down the pub, most people would dismiss it as rubbish, but if the same views are being aired in the media/podcasts without being rubbished then more people will give credence to the views, and if it's negative, then it can contribute to unwarranted pressure on the manager.

The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17950 on: March 26, 2018, 08:24:04 pm »
That’s not what Mike said at all. My understanding of the point Mike was making is that some of our fans do not take any criticism of Klopp at all well and believe that the day Klopp leaves is doomsday for Liverpool because there’s no one good enough to replace him. For someone who has lived through seeing Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish etc. leave the club after bringing in a lot of trophies, I think I can see why Mike is a bit baffled with people who hold this viewpoint on Klopp.

Which is complete and utter nonsense.

He just seems to harbour an odd resentment towards Klopp for some reason. 

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17951 on: March 26, 2018, 08:55:59 pm »

This.

I'm all for other peoples opinions but an opinion without any basis is commonly referred to as bullshit.

Like I posted before I think Nevin's contributions are great when talking about past stuff LFC or otherwise. He clearly has followed football for a very long time. When he says baseless things about the current Liverpool team or club without any factual basis that is when I can't listen anymore. Often Neil says things which I don't agree with, like when he constantly goes on about our need for someone like a DoF between Klopp and FSG, but he at least justifies it with fact and reason.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:59:31 pm by MerseysideBrum »

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17952 on: March 26, 2018, 08:57:36 pm »
I think some people are way over sensitive to Mike's comments on Klopp.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #17953 on: March 27, 2018, 09:06:11 am »
I think some people are way over sensitive to Mike's comments on Klopp.
I think this a little reductive. I enjoy discussing the contents of shows which may include a reasonable and considered critique of certain opinions. It's not being 'over sensitive' it's just offering a perspective and an objection. Its like me saying, DangerScouse is being over sensitive about the criticism of Nevin when you're simply offering a bit of a defence, which is reasonable.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #17954 on: March 27, 2018, 09:09:15 am »
I agree, but when I used to go the match there were always loads of people like that. TAW has always aimed itself at being broadly representative of the matchgoing fanbase.
I actually think it's selling point is that it is the antithesis of 'broad' opinion - it largely serves up considered opinion that you often don't hear on the terraces or read on the internet. The day TAW becomes 'representative' is the day I end my subscription.

*I do love TAW by the way... :P

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #17955 on: March 27, 2018, 09:24:46 am »
This.

I'm all for other peoples opinions but an opinion without any basis is commonly referred to as bullshit.

Like I posted before I think Nevin's contributions are great when talking about past stuff LFC or otherwise. He clearly has followed football for a very long time. When he says baseless things about the current Liverpool team or club without any factual basis that is when I can't listen anymore. Often Neil says things which I don't agree with, like when he constantly goes on about our need for someone like a DoF between Klopp and FSG, but he at least justifies it with fact and reason.

This is a brilliant sentence.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #17956 on: March 27, 2018, 10:14:22 am »
This is a brilliant sentence.

Even though he's missed an apostrophe?  :-X

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #17957 on: March 27, 2018, 10:21:45 am »
I understand people being critical of Nevin's opinions. They can be divisive. But to take that a step further and basically say "I don't want to hear this opinion, you should remove it/him from the show" isn't right. As far as I'm aware, he hasn't been offensive at any point here, so to liken him to a right-wing, anti-immigrant political party is grossly unfair.

Not only is it unfair, it does nothing to discourage the lazy group-think which has been an issue for the Wrap over the years IMO. By saying I don't want to hear x opinion, I want more of y opinion, you are essentially encouraging people to fall in line with a certain way of thinking.

The amount of times I hear a contributor simply regurgitating an opinion Atkinson has already shared on previous podcasts, for example, is beyond belief. Another example was one contributor asserting that Solanke had never scored a senior goal to discredit him. For months on end this line was regurgitated as fact without anyone checking it, when actually he scored 7 in 25 in the Dutch top flight two seasons ago.

I would far rather hear a unique opinion from Nevin than a copy-cat one from someone else.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:26:03 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #17958 on: March 27, 2018, 10:46:40 am »

I would far rather hear a unique opinion from Nevin than a copy-cat one from someone else.
They're far from unique - just pop onto Twitter after the next disappointing result and you'll see plenty that share his views.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #17959 on: March 27, 2018, 10:48:00 am »

The amount of times I hear a contributor simply regurgitating an opinion Atkinson has already shared on previous podcasts, for example, is beyond belief. Another example was one contributor asserting that Solanke had never scored a senior goal to discredit him. For months on end this line was regurgitated as fact without anyone checking it, when actually he scored 7 in 25 in the Dutch top flight two seasons ago.

Get Babayugu, Pop, HesBig, etc on there.