Author Topic: General Manchester City thread  (Read 3432719 times)

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Manchester City thread
« Reply #18080 on: January 20, 2018, 06:13:01 pm »
Coolio
bollocks

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18081 on: January 20, 2018, 07:24:31 pm »
Why is he playing Zinchenko as a LB?  ???
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18082 on: January 20, 2018, 07:39:14 pm »
because he played him there in the cups and has no other LBs?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18083 on: January 20, 2018, 07:41:42 pm »
The fucker will play some Right Back up top and will be hailed like the second coming of Jesus for it.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18084 on: January 20, 2018, 07:42:29 pm »
Who else? Delph and Mendy are injured.

He has only 1 LB, Mendy. It is not Delph's natural position either.

Danilo, in theory, can play there, but he is gash. He is a terrible player who somehow managed to fool both Real Madrid and ManCity.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #18085 on: January 21, 2018, 12:19:33 pm »
Another balls up from Ederson flies under the radar!  ::)
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #18086 on: January 22, 2018, 01:01:38 pm »
Another balls up from Ederson flies under the radar!  ::)

It's not costing them at the moment because they have so much possession against the dross of the league that he rarely gets tested. When facing a PSG, Barcelona or Bayern, this will be a decisive factor. He has been quite shaky lately, but he is also very young and in the physically toughest league.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #18087 on: January 22, 2018, 01:05:34 pm »
It's not costing them at the moment because they have so much possession against the dross of the league that he rarely gets tested. When facing a PSG, Barcelona or Bayern, this will be a decisive factor. He has been quite shaky lately, but he is also very young and in the physically toughest league.

He's conceded 18. De Gea and Courtois have conceded 16 each so far. The 3 best keepers in the league.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18088 on: January 22, 2018, 03:21:29 pm »
He's conceded 18. De Gea and Courtois have conceded 16 each so far. The 3 best keepers in the league.
Indeed, these are the best in the league. However, I do think Courtois and De Gea are better than Ederson. At least more proven at this point.

Regardless, I'd class these 3 as the best in the world along with Oblak and Ter Stegen.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #18089 on: January 22, 2018, 03:24:04 pm »
Indeed, these are the best in the league. However, I do think Courtois and De Gea are better than Ederson. At least more proven at this point.

Regardless, I'd class these 3 as the best in the world along with Oblak and Ter Stegen.

Erm, Neuer?

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #18090 on: January 22, 2018, 03:24:17 pm »
The fucker will play some Right Back up top and will be hailed like the second coming of Jesus for it.
  :D :D :D
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #18091 on: January 22, 2018, 03:27:27 pm »
Erm, Neuer?

the fact he lists ter Stegen and doesn't mention Neuer tells ya everthing you need to know about Xxavi  ;D

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18092 on: January 22, 2018, 03:28:25 pm »
Erm, Neuer?
Hasn't he been injured for a long time now? Even before his injury, he wasn't at his best. I think the inclusion of him and Buffon in these lists have been unwarranted for a while now. These are legends of the game, but others have overtaken them a while ago due to their injuries and aging.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18093 on: January 22, 2018, 03:29:43 pm »
the fact he lists ter Stegen and doesn't mention Neuer tells ya everthing you need to know about Xxavi  ;D
How many times has Neuer played this season?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18094 on: January 22, 2018, 03:32:20 pm »
Hasn't he been injured for a long time now? Even before his injury, he wasn't at his best. I think the inclusion of him and Buffon in these lists have been unwarranted for a while now. These are legends of the game, but others have overtaken them a while ago due to their injuries and aging.

I agree he wasn't at his best, but he's still one of the best, injury or no injury. And he's 31! Far too early to be talking about others overtaking him.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18095 on: January 22, 2018, 03:35:06 pm »
I agree he wasn't at his best, but he's still one of the best, injury or no injury. And he's 31! Far too early to be talking about others overtaking him.
If he gets back to his best, there is no question that he is amongst the best.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18096 on: January 22, 2018, 03:35:54 pm »
If he gets back to his best, there is no question that he is amongst the best.

If Ronaldo gets injured tomorrow and is ruled out until August, are you not including him in the best 5-6 forwards in the world?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18097 on: January 22, 2018, 03:37:27 pm »
If Ronaldo gets injured tomorrow and is ruled out until August, are you not including him in the best 5-6 forwards in the world?

Xxavi's never rated fully fit peak Ronaldo as even in the top 5-6 forwards in Spain, let alone the world ;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #18098 on: January 22, 2018, 03:46:35 pm »
Yeah a better question would be if Messi were injured for 6 months.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18099 on: January 22, 2018, 03:47:28 pm »
Yes, for sure. Actually, Ronaldo isn't in top 3 in the world as it is right now. If he is injured, you'd be justified to leave him out of top 10 in the world.

Neuer wasn't also at his peak before injury. I am just struggling to think about his best games in CL even prior to his injury. He is a very solid keeper, but he hasn't done much in Bayern's biggest games in recent years. He could replace himself with mannequin in Bundesliga and it would hardly matter. But in CL, Atletico Madrid had 1 chance and they scored. He spoke big when Bayern met Barca about scaring Messi and showing who is the boss, but then, let in a near post goal from outside of the box. Basically, since 2014, other keepers have been catching up (Courtois, De Gea, Oblak). And his injury put Neuer further back.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18100 on: January 22, 2018, 03:50:00 pm »
Xxavi's never rated fully fit peak Ronaldo as even in the top 5-6 forwards in Spain, let alone the world ;D
This is not true by the way. I always said Ronaldo is the 2nd best in the world behind Messi. This season, he clearly is not. If he gets injured, again, him being an athletic player, you'd worry if he will ever get back to his best.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18101 on: January 22, 2018, 03:50:49 pm »
Yeah a better question would be if Messi were injured for 6 months.

Was going to ask that but felt Ronaldo was a better example as, certainly domestically, he's not been at his best lately, whereas Messi has.

Yes, for sure. Actually, Ronaldo isn't in top 3 in the world as it is right now. If he is injured, you'd be justified to leave him out of top 10 in the world.

Neuer wasn't also at his peak before injury. I am just struggling to think about his best games in CL even prior to his injury. He is a very solid keeper, but he hasn't done much in Bayern's biggest games in recent years. He could replace himself with mannequin in Bundesliga and it would hardly matter. But in CL, Atletico Madrid had 1 chance and they scored. He spoke big when Bayern met Barca about scaring Messi and showing who is the boss, but then, let in a near post goal from outside of the box. Basically, since 2014, other keepers have been catching up (Courtois, De Gea, Oblak). And his injury put Neuer further back.

Think all of that is reasonably fair on Neuer, but I don't agree in general that an injury means you are 'justified' in leaving an undoubtedly elite player out of a conversation. If they come back negatively impacted by it, that's a different matter of course.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:52:53 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18102 on: January 22, 2018, 04:00:01 pm »
Was going to ask that but felt Ronaldo was a better example as, certainly domestically, he's not been at his best lately, whereas Messi has.

Think all of that is reasonably fair on Neuer, but I don't agree in general that an injury means you are 'justified' in leaving an undoubtedly elite player out of a conversation. If they come back negatively impacted by it, that's a different matter of course.
Alright mate, I think Neuer is definitely a top 3 keeper in the world if he comes back. I am not sure if he is the best even if he comes back though. The likes of De Gea have been winning points and matches for their clubs. I just don't remember Neuer doing that in recent years. Oblak has done the same for Atletico Madrid many times. Bayern, however, are just fine even with Ulreich as their keeper, they have a 16 point lead, record for even Bundesliga. Its like Barca with Valdes and Pinto in goal doing well back in Pep years ;D I mean, most of the world probably doesn't even know that Neuer is out. That makes you think about Bayern and their keepers.

But Neuer is an elite player. When you watch him, you see that. I hope he makes a comeback. I personally think both Oblak and De Gea have taken over him in the past 2 years (even prior to his injury), and Courtois is at least his level (as no. 4), but Neuer is still world class if he gets back to his pre-injury level.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18103 on: January 22, 2018, 04:08:05 pm »
Alright mate, I think Neuer is definitely a top 3 keeper in the world if he comes back. I am not sure if he is the best even if he comes back though. The likes of De Gea have been winning points and matches for their clubs. I just don't remember Neuer doing that in recent years. Oblak has done the same for Atletico Madrid many times. Bayern, however, are just fine even with Ulreich as their keeper, they have a 16 point lead, record for even Bundesliga. Its like Barca with Valdes and Pinto in goal doing well back in Pep years ;D I mean, most of the world probably doesn't even know that Neuer is out. That makes you think about Bayern and their keepers.

But Neuer is an elite player. When you watch him, you see that. I hope he makes a comeback. I personally think both Oblak and De Gea have taken over him in the past 2 years (even prior to his injury), and Courtois is at least his level (as no. 4), but Neuer is still world class if he gets back to his pre-injury level.

I think they are all great goalkeepers with few weaknesses, but have different 'super skills' if you like. Neuer is by far the best with his feet, Courtois is by far the best aerially in terms of claiming crosses, De Gea has the best reflexes/shot stopping ability, with Oblak probably a close second to him in that regard.

Of course they are all more than capable of playing the ball out, claiming crosses, making great saves etc, but I'd have a fit Neuer ahead of Courtois for example because I think Courtois is a lot weaker with his distribution than Neuer is in terms of his reflexes. Stick Courtois in at City or Barca and he'd still be very good but you'd be accentuating his main weakness somewhat. Whereas Neuer could be elite at any club.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18104 on: January 22, 2018, 04:31:27 pm »
I think they are all great goalkeepers with few weaknesses, but have different 'super skills' if you like. Neuer is by far the best with his feet, Courtois is by far the best aerially in terms of claiming crosses, De Gea has the best reflexes/shot stopping ability, with Oblak probably a close second to him in that regard.

Of course they are all more than capable of playing the ball out, claiming crosses, making great saves etc, but I'd have a fit Neuer ahead of Courtois for example because I think Courtois is a lot weaker with his distribution than Neuer is in terms of his reflexes. Stick Courtois in at City or Barca and he'd still be very good but you'd be accentuating his main weakness somewhat. Whereas Neuer could be elite at any club.
I agree that their signature strength are in different areas, but I believe all 4 of Oblak, De Gea, Courtois and Neuer would be great at any club. Sure, Courtois' distribution have question marks but so what? At ManCity, for example, he would NOT have the same long passing ability, but as long as he can do short passing, he should be fine. I think he wouldn't be worse than Ederson for ManCity, and ManCity are doing fine with Ederson.

Neuer has had the easiest among these. Again, Ulreich has been playing for Bayern, and I guarantee that most of the world doesn't even know that. Still, Neuer, too, would do great in all other clubs. De Gea and Oblak have had the toughest so far, with De Gea probably edging it. De Gea has played in awful Moyes, and Van Gaal teams and remained world class. He has been a one-man team for them. Even this season, ManU have the best defensive record not because Phil Jones and Ashley Young are great defenders. With another goalie, they let in 10-15 more easily. Oblak plays behind a superb defense, but that defense has been giving away chances in top matches, and he has been a rock behind them.

So all have done well under very different circumstances. I am convinced that these would do well anywhere, and be "elite".
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:50:44 pm by Xxavi »

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18105 on: January 22, 2018, 04:46:30 pm »

You would also think that the player that gets picked ahead of Ederson for Brazil would merit a mention too.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18106 on: January 22, 2018, 04:52:55 pm »
You would also think that the player that gets picked ahead of Ederson for Brazil would merit a mention too.
Good point, but I think those behind top 3 are fairly close. If we are speaking at this moment in time (with Neuer injured), my top 3 are Oblak, De Gea and Courtois. Then there is a group of Ederson, Ter Stegen and others including Alyson (sp?). I watched him for Roma in CL, and he impressed me. A good keeper.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18107 on: January 22, 2018, 05:03:53 pm »
Thanks for your professional opinion Xxavi.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18108 on: January 22, 2018, 06:20:31 pm »
De Bruyne has signed a new deal until 2024, bet he is getting a big wage bump too. An absolutely brilliant player- he is going to be pivotal to them over the next few years (sadly)

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
« Reply #18109 on: January 24, 2018, 10:57:26 am »
Looks like Laporte signing is imminent, expect to see some 3-4-3 soon

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18110 on: January 24, 2018, 03:05:45 pm »
Looks like Laporte signing is imminent, expect to see some 3-4-3 soon
4-3-3 with Laporte replacing Stones?

Stones has been poor since his return from injury. Even vs Bristol City, he was panicking under pressure. He wasn't facing Messi and Ronaldo, he was still nervous under pressure.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18111 on: January 24, 2018, 04:37:52 pm »
4-3-3 with Laporte replacing Stones?

Stones has been poor since his return from injury. Even vs Bristol City, he was panicking under pressure. He wasn't facing Messi and Ronaldo, he was still nervous under pressure.
Still shocked what Pep saw in him.

He's always been a liability.

I expect it will Otamandi and Laporta partnership as the 1st choice.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18112 on: January 24, 2018, 04:46:26 pm »

I think so too, rather than the 3-4-3 formation, I think Laporte goes into the first team in the 4-3-3 formation.

I think Stones is a good talent, but there just is something missing with him. I love defenders of his ilk, he reminds me of Pique. But Stones is all over the place facing some fairly mediocre attackers.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18113 on: January 24, 2018, 04:53:43 pm »

Wasn't he really good before he got injured? I thought a ball playing centre back was key to Pep's system and he was playing it to perfection - in fact, didn't him getting injured coincide with City losing their 'magic' and started scrapping games with last minute winners?

Offline Achilles Heel

• Son of Thetis and Peleus, King of the Myrmidons. Possibly a hick from the Styx.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #18114 on: January 24, 2018, 05:43:41 pm »
Stones had a dodgy start in the Liverpool game at the Etihad back in early September. Following that he was pretty much flawless for the 16-18 games or so and in the form of his career  before his injury and not only with the ball but importantly as a strong defender. Man of the match in both the Napoli CL  games and played v well for England against Germany and Brazil.

Looked like the Stones of last season since his return but jeez he is only been back 3 weeks.

Offline Achilles Heel

• Son of Thetis and Peleus, King of the Myrmidons. Possibly a hick from the Styx.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #18115 on: January 24, 2018, 05:45:01 pm »
Wasn't he really good before he got injured? I thought a ball playing centre back was key to Pep's system and he was playing it to perfection - in fact, didn't him getting injured coincide with City losing their 'magic' and started scrapping games with last minute winners?

Spot on

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18116 on: January 25, 2018, 12:42:30 am »
Otamendi is getting on in years and when you don't have a budget, why not.......will be interesting to see Laporte in the PL
You'll Never Walk Alone

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #18117 on: January 28, 2018, 10:52:21 am »
Must be hard managing a club where you're so restrained by budget

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18118 on: January 28, 2018, 10:53:49 am »
Must be hard managing a club where you're so restrained by budget

Yup. It's a miracle that Pep has got them where he's got them with the small budget he's had to work with.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #18119 on: January 28, 2018, 01:39:03 pm »
Melissa Reddy reported that Laporte and Akanji were some of the defensive reinforcements we looked for, but for the summer. Both now at other clubs. Gimenez was another one mentioned.